Found: Someone'S Pet Dog

isanbirder

I live in Buriram, halfway between Krasang and Huai Rat. About three weeks ago, a small dog wandered into our minimart. I thought it was probably local (it had a collar, so was clearly someone's pet), so inserted a notice in the local forum. No response.

It took up residence in our house (I was the only person prepared to feed it). This morning I gave it a bath. Picked it up, put it under the hose, slathered on the shampoo, rinsed it, and let it go. All this it accepted as if this was the normal course of events. I let it go, and picked up the towel. It fled, and wouldn't come near me so long as I had the towel.

My guess is that it was a lucky escapee from a dogmeat trader, which had been put into a sack at some stage in its recent life. Therefore it may have come from some distance away.

Small charcoal grey dog, a bit larger than a toy poodle, long hair, short legs, pointed nose, big fluffy tail. Male, house-trained. Friendly, but a bit nervous.

Sorry, I have no photo, but if this sounds like the dog you lost, pm me, and tell me its name.

He's settling in nicely with my other dogs, so in some ways I hope he stays. I've posted descriptions of him here and on two local forums, so I feel that I've done my bit to find his owner.

Seems like you are doing "just" enough to justify in your own mind that you have attempted to find the dog's owner. If the dog looks like it it might have been groomed in the past you might talk to the local dog grooming shops and pet supplied also the local vets.

Putting up some pictures and a few words in Thai on nearby lamp-posts along the Baht Bus route and near schools - would be better to reunite the lost dog with it's true owner - and maybe cheer up a most upset Thai child.

He's settling in nicely with my other dogs, so in some ways I hope he stays. I've posted descriptions of him here and on two local forums, so I feel that I've done my bit to find his owner.

Seems like you are doing "just" enough to justify in your own mind that you have attempted to find the dog's owner. If the dog looks like it it might have been groomed in the past you might talk to the local dog grooming shops and pet supplied also the local vets.

Putting up some pictures and a few words in Thai on nearby lamp-posts along the Baht Bus route and near schools - would be better to reunite the lost dog with it's true owner - and maybe cheer up a most upset Thai child.

As I said in my first post, I live in the sticks in Buriram. the nearest dog grooming shop is 20 kms away, and as it happens, the dog will be going there on Thursday. He will also see the local vet.

There isn't a Baht Bus route.

Please read the posts more carefully before you append a critical response.

• Like 1

Seems like you are doing "just" enough to justify in your own mind that you have attempted to find the dog's owner.

That is a lot more than most people would do and he seems willing to let the dog move in permanantly. I agree that the dogs name should be LUCKY.

Er, I wasn't asking you people to give him a name; this was just a way of checking whether the dog belonged to someone who pm'd me. He has been called, for reasons which are beyond me, Long, and Long he stays so long as he stays with us. I'll tell you what happened to him, UG, next time I'm in Chiangmai.

-isanbirder-

You did, you do a good job with that dog. Bravo, the heart on the right place! clap2.gif

By the way, I lost three dogs to dog(meat) traders here in Udon province.

Who stole them in the middle of the night from the road outside the house at two different occasions,

once a neighbor told me what he saw and other time I woke up to late to had the possibility to intervene!

And with good chance a fourth beautiful same Fox like dog in Chayaphum was stolen to!

You live in the sticks in a small village?

Try to contact the village headman (puh yai baan) and ask him to announce it via his loudspeaker.

Usual method here if a cow/bicycle etc. is missing, don't know whether it works for pet dogs smile.png

You live in the sticks in a small village?

Try to contact the village headman (puh yai baan) and ask him to announce it via his loudspeaker.

Usual method here if a cow/bicycle etc. is missing, don't know whether it works for pet dogs smile.png

It's been well publicised round the village. The dog spent a few days hanging round the village shop, where everybody turns up sooner or later. But I don't think it was local.

I'm sure the local Thais are glued to a local Buriram Farang forum....wink.png

You've made a name for yourself, zzaa, for your grouchy remarks, and repeated denigration of and cavilling at what others in this forum say and do.

Here is a chance for you to show that a heart of gold beats under that curmudgeonly exterior.

Your Thai is leagues ahead of mine. Why don't you translate my original post into Thai, and disseminate it in places where the local Thais will see it? If someone contacts you, ask for their dog's name, and we'll see if the dog recognises it. If so, the claimiant can come to my house, and if the dog recognises him, I will hand over the dog. Fair enough? By the way, I do not accept any financial or other liability for what you may do!

Why do (some) dogs leave a house unattended, especially at night, when owners close their eyes ?

They spend all day hanging around doing the whole "man's best friend schtick"

Once you hit the hay they just wanna hang out with their buds and do dog shit....amongst other things.

• Like 1

Why do (some) dogs leave a house unattended, especially at night, when owners close their eyes ?

Small village, nearly no fences at the houses, dogs are used to roam the surroundings of the house and walk from one family home (parents of GF) to the GF house.

So, you think the owner is responsible and not the thief who is stealing during the early morning hours? Not my perspective!dry.png

The activities of dog collecting Pick ups got now much less frequent with the crackdowns.

-necronx99-

Very well written and pointed out, nailed it!clap2.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Today in our free liberal world maybe too many incompatible perspectives coexist. Some people like to eat dog meat and other people prefer to watch e.g. following vid. Viewers who do not believe the hamster is playing the piano can mute the sound:

!

To prevent multiple thefts it is up to the owner of a dog whether or not to build-in some kind of protection. Same can be said for flagging fertile female dogs roaming unattended.

Today in our free liberal world maybe too many incompatible perspectives coexist. Some people like to eat dog meat and other people prefer to watch e.g. following vid. Viewers who do not believe the hamster is playing the piano can mute the sound:

!

To prevent multiple thefts it is up to the owner of a dog whether or not to build-in some kind of protection. Same can be said for flagging fertile female dogs roaming unattended.

That post sounds just like a clone of zzaa! Female dogs don't usually roam unattended; that's the males.

I don't know what kind of owner this dog had; how should I? I can only deduce from the fact that he was wearing a collar, is friendly to people, and is well-groomed (allowing for a couple of weeks or so on the run) that the owner was fairly responsible.

-jacnl2000-

You write "To prevent multiple thefts it is up to the owner of a dog"

Yes, agreed, but I will not change my and the families dogs lifestyle because of some outsiders who are stealing and snatching!

Since I have weapons near my bed the dog Pick Ups are not rolling!

PS-I would not say that I am against eating meat from any kind of animal that is up to the people,

but I do not want that somebody takes an animal away, is stealing it! Special an animal the owner or caretaker has feelings to!

• 1 month later...

An update... we so often hear of the problem, but less often the solution.

The dog, now named Long, (confusing because I often say Come along! to my dogs) has integrated with my two other sort-of-poodle small grey-black dogs, and revels in the morning walks through (and often across) the paddy fields. He has settled in well enough to develop characteristics of his own... hates buffaloes,cows to a lesser extent, and motorcyclists. He loves licking my feet (no! I've already made the obvious conclusions).

So, I'm sorry for the people who lost him, but the dog at least is happy.

• Like 2