South Says North Korea Ready To Carry Out Nuclear Test

News_Editor

South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test 2012-04-24 21:23:40 GMT+7 (ICT) SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (BNO NEWS) -- North Korea has finished preparations for a third nuclear test and is able to carry it out once it decides to do so, a spokesman for the South Korean Ministry of Defense said on Tuesday. Other sources also indicate an upcoming nuclear test."Substantial preparations for the test have been made. We have information to suggest that all that remains is a political choice," a spokesman for the South Korean Defense Ministry said during a news conference in Seoul on Tuesday. It follows increasing speculation in recent weeks that the North is preparing for a nuclear test.Earlier this month, a report from South Korean intelligence officials said North Korea is likely preparing to carry out a nuclear test at Punggye-ri near the county of Kilju in North Hamgyong province, the site of the country's plutonium-fueled nuke tests in October 2006 and May 2009.However, South Korean government officials also believed the North was preparing for a nuclear test in February 2011. "South Korea and U.S. intelligence authorities have spotted the North building a couple of additional tunnels in Punggye-ri. It's obvious that North Korea is preparing for a third nuclear test," a government source told the Yonhap news agency at the time. No nuclear test was carried out.Six-party nuclear disarmament talks have been stalled since late 2008 due to North Korea's anger over United Nations (UN) sanctions. It was followed by a nuclear test in North Korea's North Hamgyong province on May 25, 2009, as well as a series of test-firings of missiles.Tuesday's news comes a day after the North Korean military threatened to launch a 'nationwide sacred war' to wipe out South Korea. "The indignation of the army and people of the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) at the group of rat-like (South Korean President) Lee Myung Bak is running high," a statement from the North Korean military said on Monday, referring to the North's official name. "Shouts such as "Destroy," Beat to death" and "Tear to death" are ringing out on this land."North Korea has repeatedly threatened to launch attacks against the South in recent years, but Monday's announcement was made more prominently than previous threats. The North's state-run television broke into programming to make what it described as a 'special announcement.'"The special actions of our revolutionary armed forces will start soon to meet the reckless challenge of the group of traitors," the North's military said in its statement. "Those actions are an eruption of the public anger and resentment and a sacred war of all service personnel and people to protect the dignity of our supreme leadership. Their targets are the Lee Myung Bak group of traitors, the arch criminals, and the group of rat-like elements including conservative media destroying the mainstay of the fair public opinion."On Sunday, a spokesman for the North Korean Foreign Ministry called South Korean President Lee "human scum" and also indicated the country would attack the South. "The service personnel and people of the DPRK are shaking with irrepressible resentment at the group which defamed the father of the nation whom they are holding in high esteem as the sun," the spokesman said. "They are now eagerly waiting for the issue of an order so that they may mercilessly punish the traitor."Tensions on the Korean Peninsula, which remains in a technical state of war, have been at critical since the 2010 sinking of the ROKS Cheonan, a South Korean Navy ship carrying 104 people. The incident left 46 people killed and a South Korean-led international investigation blamed a North Korean torpedo which was allegedly fired from a midget submarine, although the North insists it was not responsible.Months after the sinking of the ship, North Korean forces bombarded the disputed Yeonpyeong Island. The artillery engagement from the North, which claims it acted in 'self-defense', left two South Korean civilians killed while the South's return fire killed at least five people in North Korea.Earlier this month, North Korea attempted to launch the Kwangmyongsong-3 (Bright Star-3) weather satellite on a Taepodong-2 ballistic missile to mark Kim Il-sung's birth anniversary, but the missile failed about a minute after takeoff and crashed in the Yellow Sea. The international community strongly condemned the attempt.The 1950-1953 Korean War, which left millions of people killed, ended in a truce rather than a peace treaty. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-24

This is an interesting video that another member ( koheesti) posted in another thread

Shows all the nuclear test/explosion since 1945 & keeps a running tally at the top of the page

Makes you wonder why they/anyone need to detonate so many

From the 1960's onward they really get going

, By 1998 it is quite amazing

Edited by flying

This is an interesting video that another member ( koheesti) posted in another thread

Shows all the nuclear test/explosion since 1945 & keeps a running tally at the top of the page

What a brilliant video, and one that displays how sad the human race is and how the nuclear tests are just willy waving. It was interesting to see that for decades India only did one test then as soon as Pakistan came on the scene and did two it was quickly followed by 3 from India. Over two thousand tests on the planet, I think it qualifies as a crime against humanity, and just what was France trying to prove? I think it is 14 minutes that should be included somewhere in the 15 years of full time education that our children do.

• Like 2

So where will the next war flare up in Asia? Here are some of the hottest spots:

Pakistan / India

China / Taiwan

China / Philippines * Note: the disputed shoals and rock outcrops are 5 times further from China than from the Philippines.

N.Korea / S.Korea

(with Japan, China, US nearby)

China / Tibet * ok, won't be a war, but could flare to a large scale uprising.

Conclusion; China is directly or indirectly positioned in 4 out of 5 of the hottest hot spots in Asia. Similarly, the US is treaty-bound to be involved with at least 3 of the conflict areas (Taiwan, Phil, N.Korea).

The video is riveting. Nuclear detonations are profoundly toxic, among other things. Just one of the many drawbacks, is how the radiation affects people and other organisms downwind. Each detonation or breach of a nuke reactor is an added desecration for the planet. Nuclear weapons and power plants should be outlawed, similar to how poison gas (and, to some extent, landmines) have been outlawed worldwide.

The video is riveting. Nuclear detonations are profoundly toxic, among other things. Just one of the many drawbacks, is how the radiation affects people and other organisms downwind. Each detonation or breach of a nuke reactor is an added desecration for the planet. Nuclear weapons and power plants should be outlawed, similar to how poison gas (and, to some extent, landmines) have been outlawed worldwide.

they should have been outlawed since 1945. after the "haves" have desecrated the planet for decades they demand that the "no haves" should refrain doing the same.

• Like 1

and the winner is...

what should people make more wonder is the nuclear stockpile.

Yes I have also wondered that.

I mean how many times over would the world need to be nuked?

Then take into consideration the need to maintain the nukes all these years.

Eventually the sands of time will deteriorate these things & they will then need more $$$ to be

dismantled/disposed of.

As if anything nuclear can be disposed of ;)

Then take into consideration the need to maintain the nukes all these years.

those with a surplus of nukes could make a deal with North Korea, Iran, India and Pakistan and supply these countries with a certain quantity of nukes free of charge. that would translate into killing multiple birds with one stone

-no more maintenance for the give-away nukes,

-no more testing and "desecrating" the planet (assuming only tested nukes are given away),

-savings in recipient countries could be used to build schools, hospitals and ease poverty,

and last not least...

...preventing Iran building its own nukes, therefore easing tensions in the Middle East, make some warmongers jobless not to mention the savings by not using bunker busting bombs.

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

Flying,

what do you mean by "Naam you have been drinking!" i do resent these kind of insinuations! angry.png

:lol: until you posted this I was not sure :)

Maybe we need to release 99 Red Balloons & get this whole show over with ;)

what should people make more wonder is the nuclear stockpile.

Yes I have also wondered that.

I mean how many times over would the world need to be nuked? Then take into consideration the need to maintain the nukes all these years. Eventually the sands of time will deteriorate these things & they will then need more $$$ to be dismantled/disposed of. As if anything nuclear can be disposed of ;)

The US alone is estimated to spend around $50 million annually to maintain its nukes. Similarly, Japan maintains one of its non-functional nuke power plants (a piece of machinery fell in to it b4 it became functional) at several million $$s/annually. I'm glad Thailand hasn't joined the nuclear club. A country which can't even lock the doors to their main airport to try and keep a mob from coming in - how is it going to cope with a serious demonstration which wants to commandeer a nuke power plant?

The Russkies have more nuke weapons than the US and, judging from their record of responsibility with keeping weapons safely under wraps, I wouldn't be surprised if their nuke maintenance protocol is penny pinching and lax.

Edited by maidu

The Russkies have more nuke weapons than the US and, judging from their record of responsibility with keeping weapons safely under wraps, I wouldn't be surprised if their nuke maintenance protocol is penny pinching and lax.

Whether penny pinching or a case of not having the pennies to even pinch....I do remember years ago reading about their nuclear subs not having

adequate shielding to protect the inhabitants of the sub.

Whether penny pinching or a case of not having the pennies to even pinch....I do remember years ago reading about their nuclear subs not having

adequate shielding to protect the inhabitants of the sub.

looks like you were flying late last night.

Note from Commander of a Russian Nuclear Sub to himself: Replace screen door on main hatch with sealable steel door.

Note from Maidu: Remember the Kursk - The Russian nuclear sub which sunk in 2000? Non-Russian investigators think it caused by pure Hydrogen pyroxide (fuel for torpedo, no kidding), which somehow leaked in the torpedo tube. Russian offialdom doesn't want to discuss it. When the H2O2 came in to contact with a few drops of water, it instantly ignited - thereby blowing out the torpedo hatch and probably igniting at least one torpedo and dooming the sub. I'm no expert, but the scenario sounds plausible.

However, I ran that scenario by a Russian friend of mine, and he insisted the Kursk sunk from being hit by an 'outside' torpedo - possibly fired by another Russian sub.

Edited by maidu