Google Selling Galaxy Nexus For Usd 399 / 12K Baht

nikster

See here, Google is selling the Galaxy Nexus in the USA via its own web store, for $399, with NO carrier lock!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/2971541/google-unlocked-galaxy-nexus-available-hspa#add-comment

Isn't that WAY below the market price here in Thailand?

I guess that's the next thing scalpers will bring from the USA then... or a price drop in Thailand is imminent.

YSR Shop has it for 13,900.

eBay: $450 Buy It Now (free shipping, no sales tax; I assume if you order from Google you'll have to pay any applicable sales tax at a minimum?)

Thanks for the heads up; this may be my next phone.

Had a chance to play with a Nexus for a while. Very nice indeed (and it was my first ICS machine) but wasn't enough to suck me in, so I stuck with SGS2 holding out for the S3...

Many say the Nexus is like a "SGS2.5". I wouldn't be shocked to see the price drop even further in the next month or two, with all the new phones coming out...

That price is impressive indeed. It's about time those phones started coming down in price.

Had a chance to play with a Nexus for a while. Very nice indeed (and it was my first ICS machine) but wasn't enough to suck me in, so I stuck with SGS2 holding out for the S3...

Many say the Nexus is like a "SGS2.5". I wouldn't be shocked to see the price drop even further in the next month or two, with all the new phones coming out...

Don't hold your breath. Maybe 1-2000 baht, but nothing significant really changes in price for a 1-2 years if the phone is solid. The Cooper is still retailing for 9000 baht.

YSR Shop has it for 13,900.

eBay: $450 Buy It Now (free shipping, no sales tax; I assume if you order from Google you'll have to pay any applicable sales tax at a minimum?)

Thanks for the heads up; this may be my next phone.

where is YSR shop?

Would google be shipping it from thailand or a neighboring country? Or all the way from USA?

I think that Google deal is USA only. I didn't know shops here sell it at comparable prices - I saw this one in the mall at about 18k baht...

Edit: Wait, the YSR shop one is pre-order only, import with no warranty... chances are they're buying the Google phone in the USA from Google, then bringing it over here with a 2k baht markup. Hey I'd do it, bring 20 and you got 40k baht.

YSR shop is here: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ysr+shop+thailand

Edited by nikster

I got the nexus from day one pretty much, and absolutely love it.

I will be getting a SG3 as soon as they are available.

Never had a days prob with it, running ICS 4.04 now latest flash.

great phone IMHO

Battery could be better only bitch I have.

YSR Shop have had this model since day one; they lower their prices over time in accordance with inventory levels, competition and waning interest.

I guess if you have a U.S. IP address you can review the terms but it does appear as though Google Play (nee Market) is only accepting orders for the U.S. By the time you tack on potential sales tax, shipping, re-shipping, potential VAT, etc., it may not be as advantageous as it first appears? I am tracking some eBay listings and may buy one to coincide with my next trip back to the U.S. for July 4th holiday. I wouldn't mind an S2, as there is much more developer support for that model, but those are holding at 16,500 here, and not as widely available in the U.S. via eBay. I tend to buy late in this tech. cycle as the phone/tablet HW is more than sufficient to run Android for the foreseeable future. (I am running Android 4/ICS on SGS1 HW, which is brilliant.)

Edited by lomatopo

I did find a few counter shops in MBK (near where S Phone is supposed to be, but I could not actually find that shop) selling the Samsung Galaxy Nexus for 13,500. Not sure if this was an end-of-month revenue push?

I asked about the SGS2 price and was quoted 16,500 so not sure how real the prices linked above are?

If you buy from Google in the U.S., 2-day shipping is $10.50, and any applicable sales tax (6% in my case).

There are several "Buy-it-Now" sellers on eBay: ~ $450 (free shipping, no sales tax).

I think I will buy from Google, and pick up on my next trip to the U.S. ~ July 4.

Again, thank you very much for the heads up on this offer. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

They had a buy now link on google thai page

http://www.google.co.th/intl/en/nexus/

but then it directs you to

http://www.samsung.com/th/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphone/android-os/GT-I9250TSATHL

So then it must be stocked in thailand? Anyone see it at any of the major retailers? Perhaps a Samsung Store? Would be great if Tesco stocked one, as they already have quite a few Samsung products.

I think it has already been established that:

1.) Google is selling this phone in the U.S., and not Thailand, for $399 plus shipping and tax.

2.) This phone is available through various official channels, including Samsung shops. here for 19,900.

3.) Some box shops are selling grey market imports here for as low as 13,500.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for?

1.) Google is selling this phone in the U.S., and not Thailand, for $399 plus shipping and tax.

2.) This phone is available through various official channels, including Samsung shops. here for 19,900.

19,900 is a pretty high markup. i suppose Samsung does not want to compete with S2?

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from Galaxy Cooper.

19,900 is a pretty high markup. i suppose Samsung does not want to compete with S2?

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from Galaxy Cooper.

now that we all have ICS 4.0.4 on our SGS2's i dont think the galazy nexus is far in front at all

many review sites put the galaxy s2 as the better phone and it has a 8mp cam and a expandble memory via sd card

versus a phone with a 5mp cam :( with faster shutter speed :) and memory fixed at 16gb with no slot for expansion :( but

a higher res screen :) but doesnt seem as vibrant :(

ICS 4 ws the major selling point of it ,now everyones got ICS 4 its not so "unique " or "ground breaking "

there are far more potential for available roms and hacks on the sgs2 also if you like to root the phone and change stuff its probably the one to get

now that we all have ICS 4.0.4 on our SGS2's i dont think the galazy nexus is far in front at all

Agreed. If I had an SGS2 I wouldn't be considering an SGN. However, as I have an SGS1 (running Android 4.0.4), I am considering an SGN primarily because of price - it is 3,000 baht (effectively) less expensive than an SGS2, and it has the 3G bands I need in the U.S. (1700/2100 for T-Mo). I am not a professional photographer so have been happy with my 5 MP/no flash camera on my SGS1, and I have 11 GB free on my internal card, and rarely use my external card so the lack of a USD slot is not a drawback for me. Finally all of the custom ROMs and utilities available, perhaps necessary to improve the SGS2, are in many cases based on the Google code, and are certainly flashable to the SGN. Heck, I can even add TW4 if I want. ;)

Picked it up for 13200. Amazing phone. Only negative is bat so far but got an extended one on the way. Running super smooth with slim rom and nova launcher

13,200 is an amazing price ,congratulations !

i was overjoyed and heartbroken at the same time yesterday when i was told my SGS2 could be repaired for 4279 thb after its horrific accident

i had planned on getting one of these instead if the repair bill was too high but it was surprisingly low considering the damage but for 4200 il keep

my SGS2 for another year or as long as i can and upgrade then ,maybe to the SGS3 or the next google nexus ! :)

I had a SGS2 (which got stolen in Laos) and then picked up a Nexus for 18,900 (full RRP, up in Nong Khai, I was happy to be able to get it at all) back in late December (which then got stolen in Laos.)

The Nexus is incomparably the better phone to the SGS2- and this is entirely down to the screen size and resolution. There is no contest.

If I had a choice between it or the SGS3 at the same price, sure I would take the SGS3, but if my choice was the Nexus at 12-13.5k versus the SGS3 at... what? 20k+? I would certainly be going for the Nexus. The main downside compared to the SGS3 is the lack of SD slot in the Nexus- if you use your phone as a media player and like to carry around a 32/64gb card stuffed with media, it's not the phone for you. Otherwise, it is a good choice. I know the CPU is faster in the SGS3 but for me at least this really wouldn't matter.

I replaced with a Note in Cambodia ($570/18k) which I am very happy with... but if I could have replaced with a Nexus at 12-13.5 no question I would have continued with that. That is a great price for a great phone.

I had a SGS2 (which got stolen in Laos) and then picked up a Nexus for 18,900 (full RRP, up in Nong Khai, I was happy to be able to get it at all) back in late December (which then got stolen in Laos.)

The Nexus is incomparably the better phone to the SGS2- and this is entirely down to the screen size and resolution. There is no contest.

If I had a choice between it or the SGS3 at the same price, sure I would take the SGS3, but if my choice was the Nexus at 12-13.5k versus the SGS3 at... what? 20k+? I would certainly be going for the Nexus. The main downside compared to the SGS3 is the lack of SD slot in the Nexus- if you use your phone as a media player and like to carry around a 32/64gb card stuffed with media, it's not the phone for you. Otherwise, it is a good choice. I know the CPU is faster in the SGS3 but for me at least this really wouldn't matter.

I replaced with a Note in Cambodia ($570/18k) which I am very happy with... but if I could have replaced with a Nexus at 12-13.5 no question I would have continued with that. That is a great price for a great phone.

there is a compromise that must be accepted before declaring a "winner " and a " loser "

at similar price levels one could argue that :

the super Amoled Plus is brighter and more vibrant than the nexus

the nexus has an inferior 5mg camera (faster shutter but lower res pictures so again its a personal choice )

the nexus has no expandable storage /surprising since thats one of the main critizisms of apple products

the main USP of the nexus was Android 4.0 and since thats been obliterated ass has dropped out of the price radically

the galaxy s2 is as much phone as people with smal hands might like to manage

the galaxy s2 has got much more devolpment potential if you like to flash roms and customise your phone etc

saying that though ,its a coin toss between the two ,they are both amazing phones and i would be happy to own either of them

nexus also has a worse front facing camera (almost 50% less resolution )

but its still a great phone

i plan to get one ,not sure to get a cheap one in MBK or buy it from Samsung and pay a bit more and get the waranty also

Will watch prices next week when the GS3 is unleashed ,Samsung may drop the nexus a bit closer to USA levels (hopefully )

the galaxy s2 is as much phone as people with smal hands might like to manage

the galaxy s2 has got much more devolpment potential if you like to flash roms and customise your phone etc

I compared a colleague's SGS2 to an SGN in a Samsung shop earlier this week. The SGN actually feels a bit better in the hand, and is fractionally larger than the SGS2. It is a bit heavier as it has a larger capacity battery. I see people with small hands handling Notes with no problems. ;)

Side-by-side the SGN screen just smokes the SGS2, it's not even close given the larger screen, higher resolution and nearly 50% more pixel density.

Most of the SGS2 development: custom ROMs, kernels, utilities actually come from the SGN (pure Google), and the development community is significant. Since the SGN is pure Android there is perhaps less of a requirement to modify the software, maybe to remove Samsung bloatware, for example?

The MSRP on the SGS2 has been dropped from 18,900 to 17,500 (~ 15,500 at box shops); the SGN remains at 19,900 so far.

I am still thinking about getting an SGN in the U.S. during my trip back for July 4th, but may get one here. There have been some all-ins on eBay for $399 ( ~ 12,500 ) but some say they've gotten one here for 13,200. I am also considering a used SGS2 here as several friends/neighbors/colleagues are getting SGS3's. Since T-Mo is re-farming 3G in the U.S. to 1900 Mhz, the SGN, which supports 1700 AWS, is looking a little less desirable.

I'm not a professional photographer so cameras are not a factor, and any front-facing camera is really only going to be used for video calling, where any lack of quality will hardly be noticed. ;) And 16 GB is more than enough room for me, so the lack of a uSD slot is a non-factor. I have 11 GB free on my SGS 1 and my 16 GB ext. uSD card is empty. Google has opted not to include uSD support on their phones to date, you can Google that topic to get some background.

Edited by lomatopo

yeah screen of nexus is main selling point over sgs2. Miles better.

No problems with my mbk 13200 nexus. Young girl selling said their cost price was 13k so if you believe her the closer you get to that the better.

Got extended 2000 mah battery from http://www.ebay.com/itm/120832462058?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649. Came quickly, virtually no added girth, but adds noticeable life. Recommend.

Not sure how many roms you actually need, but there are plenty for nexus if that's your thing. I think most would be just fine with stock ics and a launcher of their choice. Although it is useful to be able to modify/add the bottom softkeys to your liking (and add long press functionality)

Great phone and an absolute steal for 13kish (although taking a risk with warranty)

Edited by lennois

yeah screen of nexus is main selling point over sgs2. Miles better.

No problems with my mbk 13200 nexus. Young girl selling said their cost price was 13k so if you believe her the closer you get to that the better.

Got extended 2000 mah battery from http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649. Came quickly, virtually no added girth, but adds noticeable life. Recommend.

Not sure how many roms you actually need, but there are plenty for nexus if that's your thing. I think most would be just fine with stock ics and a launcher of their choice. Although it is useful to be able to modify/add the bottom softkeys to your liking (and add long press functionality)

Great phone and an absolute steal for 13kish (although taking a risk with warranty)

saw them side by side in computer superstore yesterday and the screen of the SGs2 looks at least twice as bright ,both phones set to max

but the camera was much faster on the nexus , and i think its not too big to hold comfortably

warranty risk is an issue but 19,900 v 13,200 id go without warranty and hope for the best

where did you get it for 13,200? i hate walking around that place haggling in the crowds of bargain hunters so if you

remember the exact place i would buy it there ?

Sorry can't really remember where. I was wandering around lost and just stumbled on a young girl in a tiny stall. There are plenty selling for 13500 tho so you can no doubt haggle from there.

Interestingly one guy offered me thai new for 15K after some haggling. He showed me the thai box all sealed up ready to go. It seemed so much cheaper than other places I wasn't sure he was legit tho (maybe a refurbished model or something.) Otherwise would have pulled trigger on that with 1 year warranty.

Don't like the sgs2 colours (crazy saturation) and obviously poorer res. I actually have the opposite problem with brightness - when reading in dark room would like the screen to go a bit duller than it does. No problem with brightness outside .

Actually found the dudes card who offered me 15k thai new. His shop is called '@ by Jackie' and his number 0869981499. The girls shop is kinda behind his and quite close. It is down near the end of the mall but can't remember which end. Good luck

Actually found the dudes card who offered me 15k thai new. His shop is called '@ by Jackie' and his number 0869981499. The girls shop is kinda behind his and quite close. It is down near the end of the mall but can't remember which end. Good luck

thx mate ,very useful info

will probably get one today or tomorrow morning (i hate crowdy shopping centres and markets )

Re: MBK counter shops, I did try to find S-Phone but couldn't. I did get a quote, nearly 30 days ago, on a SGN for 13,500 asked/offered no negotiation (I didn't push for lower), from a counter shop roughly where indicated on the attached map, 4th floor, nearly straight in from the Tokyu Dept. Store exit/entrance..

post-9615-0-15682000-1338112270_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Re: MBK counter shops, I did try to find S-Phone but couldn't. I did get a quote, nearly 30 days ago, on a SGN for 13,500 asked/offered no negotiation (I didn't push for lower), from a counter shop roughly where indicated on the attached map, 4th floor, nearly straight in from the Tokyu Dept. Store exit/entrance..

i picked up one of these today

i went to the 4th floor (mbk)

1st shop i stopped at with a prety young girl at the counter

i asked her how much is the nexus now

she said 12,700

i asked her if thats the best price she can do

she asked me if i can take a black one she can go 12,600

i didnt bother to haggle and just paid her on the spot

i dont know if i could have got a cheaper one if i went around and compared every shop

but i was prepared to pay 13,200 anyway so 12,600 was a bonus

i was out within 6-7 minutes

(i hate MBK so getting what i want and leaving ASAP is more important to me than saving a few thb walking around it ) :)