Where To Find Pure Honey In Bkk

hookedondhamma

Makro is a good supplier of a couple of kinds of natural honey. Reasonable price as usual

Thanks Bob - I actually got my hands on some finally, though not from the Makro. I will keep it in mind for future reference. Thanks again!

Yes...but its in Thai and it is near Saraburi.

I know how to drive there...but thats it.

Oh...and pure honey has not been available in Bkk for a long time...all the dirty old men get to them first.

Ah ok. I didn't even think about it at first, but I just went and searched using Thai, there's a good amount of info on pure honey via that option (if you can read Thai, that is).

Can you type Thai? That'd be great if I the name was known. If not that's ok. Either way I know a few people in Saraburi, so maybe I can find a link through them.

Like Bob, thank you for your post, Siamsam - I really do appreciate it.

The litre bottles in the big chains are trustworthy, but can be quite expensive, even over B200.

I've had good luck with unfiltered natural honey from a street pushcart vendor, upcountry Isaan lady whose Lao is so thick the Thais have a hard time understanding her, along with the obviously self-filled mixed-shape bottles, she also sells the whole combs, sometimes with the tree limb still attached.

Of course she may cut her wares, but I haven't been able to tell the difference and personally I doubt it. She's just raised her price from B80 to 90 so even if it's cut a bit IMO is better value and definitely more nutritious.

Since one hardly ever sees just "once off" of these kind of street vendors, I'm sure there are similar ones in other areas, but they don't stay in one place nor even come around that often, like the knife sharpener guy just have to keep your eyes open and look out for them when roaming the market areas.

The litre bottles in the big chains are trustworthy, but can be quite expensive, even over B200.

I've had good luck with unfiltered natural honey from a street pushcart vendor, upcountry Isaan lady whose Lao is so thick the Thais have a hard time understanding her, along with the obviously self-filled mixed-shape bottles, she also sells the whole combs, sometimes with the tree limb still attached.

Of course she may cut her wares, but I haven't been able to tell the difference and personally I doubt it. She's just raised her price from B80 to 90 so even if it's cut a bit IMO is better value and definitely more nutritious.

Since one hardly ever sees just "once off" of these kind of street vendors, I'm sure there are similar ones in other areas, but they don't stay in one place nor even come around that often, like the knife sharpener guy just have to keep your eyes open and look out for them when roaming the market areas.

Hi BigJBKK

I was at the amulet market a couple of days ago and came across what appeared to be natural honey. Dark in color, and looked as though it had some wax in it. But it seemed just a little too thin. I'm not that much of an expert in determining the authenticity of it, but it's ok - I did manage to find some and I have another source as well.

As of now I'm out of Isaan (when I was there, it wasn't a problem at all). But do you know what you mean about the whole combs being sold. Makes me interested in that lady, though. She must've been speaking some pretty high Lao. Since it's not standardized there's alot of variation.

First off...even experts have some trouble telling if the honey is pure or some dilution added.

I turn a bottle up and if its thin, dont buy.

Then smell, if it is rich and sweet smelling ok...if it has a whiskey smell, dont buy, but that could be just from the recycled bottles and cap.

But one of the best ways is to get a glass of cold water, pour some honey in and if it settles to the floor in a more or less glob and does not start to dissolve, then it is good stuff.

If it starts to dissolve and you will see it straight away....then it has been cut with a sugary sryup or such, so dont buy.

First off...even experts have some trouble telling if the honey is pure or some dilution added.

I turn a bottle up and if its thin, dont buy.

Then smell, if it is rich and sweet smelling ok...if it has a whiskey smell, dont buy, but that could be just from the recycled bottles and cap.

But one of the best ways is to get a glass of cold water, pour some honey in and if it settles to the floor in a more or less glob and does not start to dissolve, then it is good stuff.

If it starts to dissolve and you will see it straight away....then it has been cut with a sugary sryup or such, so dont buy.

I use the exact same methods you just posted! Though one of the reasons I resorted to asking, because I don't want to make a Thai lose face. But everythings going well now. I appreciate the informative feedback!

• 1 month later...

The easy way to see if honey is pure and organic is by the way it becomes solid and of a lighter color when in cooler places (like supermarkets).

I see it often at max value and it sells around 350 tb.

I meant that the honey becomes cristalized and solid!