Repeat Thai Applicant Tops University Admission Test

Repeat applicant tops university Admission test

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Kewalin Ratanasopinswat, an architect student, has pursued her new dream and managed to ace the central university admission test with an outstanding score of 90.55 per cent.

"I love languages and I love meeting people, so I think the political-science field will suit me better. I've just realised an architect has to spend most of the time on his or her design," she said in explaining her choice to enrol in Chulalongkorn University's Political Science Faculty.

Before entering the university, she attended Kasetsart University's demonstration school.

"Please don't think that a repeat university applicant has problems. It's just that some of us have recognised that we chose the wrong field and want to start fresh," she said.

Kewalin was among 122,169 who applied via the central-university-admission system.

Somkid Lertpaitoon, president of Thammasat University and the Association of University Presidents of Thailand, said 90 universities joined in the central admission system, offering 140,828 openings.

Panachanok Malakul Na Ayudhaya from Chulalongkorn's demonstration school placed second with a score of 87.96 per cent. Her choice is the university's Communication Arts Faculty.

"I dream of working in TV," she said.

Banthita Saelow from Triam Udom Suksa Pattanakarn School, third with 86.17 per cent, has decided to further her studies in liberal arts at Thammasat.

"My tips are to review lessons everyday and take extra courses during school breaks early," she said.

Visually impaired Pairoj Panthong, 22, of Hat Yai Wittayalai School, plans to make the most of his chance to read law at Bansomdej Chao Phraya Rajabhat University.

"I'm so happy with my success," he said. "I hope I can change Thai society for the better via the delivery of justice one day."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-08

No need to be the same as what you seem to be complaining about. Some people are intelligent, some not so much. It's the same the world over. The same as there are bigots of every race and creed that believe that others are inferior. It's such a shame that so many people speak their flawed opinion over the internet.

Anyhow, well done to Khun Kewalin!

Visually impaired Pairoj Panthong, 22, of Hat Yai Wittayalai School, plans to make the most of his chance to read law at Bansomdej Chao Phraya Rajabhat University.

"I'm so happy with my success," he said. "I hope I can change Thai society for the better via the delivery of justice one day."

Very admirable sentiment. We need more students like these. :)

Proof that Thai students are smarter that what Farang used to think of them.

Am I mis-understanding something? The way I read the article I thought it was talking about students' relative performance in national test results; nothing about the relative smartness of Thai students, as a group.

However, I do agree that some Farangs underestimate the smartness of Thai students, which is silly and unfounded (although the education system may not necessarily be the best).

• Like 2

Proof that Thai students are smarter that what Farang used to think of them.

What is really impressive that she has done so well despite the stultifying education system. She must be very astute and lucky to find some good teachers in amongst the avaricious mediocrities.