For The Mountain Bikers !

freedomnow

So I'm trying to get a 19.5" used or new entry level real MTB...(if you see the mountain bikes sub 5000 baht in Lotus,they are just steel MTB lookalikes)

So far I've found the Trek 3900 v-brake north of the old city for 10,900 Baht.

Unsure if I can get anything better than that new around 10,000 baht....it is an OK rig for the money...

Here it is ... the next model up in red with disc brakes and better forks is 15,000 Baht....

If you get quoted 10,900 what is the best you'd expect to haggle down to ? I've not go this haggling skill down to pat yet.... !! how do you do it ,wave what your prepared to pay in their face or what ??!!!

3900vbrake.jpg

Edited by freedomnow

Freedomnow, that Trek is not a bad bike. My buddy has the same bike and he loves it. The basic components are entry level, and probably the only thing that I would add to a bike is disk brakes, especially if you plan any downhill riding, I'd spend the extra.

Keep in mind, with bikes, like most things, you get what you pay for....up to a certain level, then you start spending stupid money to save a gram here and there....I know...I spent stupid money.

Assenting DLock I would choose a disk brake model if you plan to conquer some real mountains, and a better fork (it will pay off as soon as you go upcountry with partly heavy road damages). I personally won't buy anything with less than a Shimano XT shifter (smoother) or something adequate from e.g. Sram (a bit "clickier"); I have quite a lot of experience with cheaper stuff but nothing is that precise and service-reduced.

Then you are in the 20'000 THB range but imho it's worth the money cause it increases your joy a lot, and thus helps keeping you riding on.

Did you ever have a look at the Merida Matts series? Very good value for money, too.

Don't go for a too large frame (especially MTB, and especially if you like a more sportive pace), meaning I would rather go for an 18" size as long as you aren't lets say > 1.85 m. If you find out later that this may be a little bit too small you can easily "make it bigger" by changing some parts but you will never have a chance to "make it smaller".

Get the Disc brake model. You will be happier with it later on wet rides or if you want to upgrade parts. This is my Giant Rincon fitness/around town ride. Similar entry level MTB. I bought it in 2008, slowly upgraded various parts. (Tires, rigid alu fork, brake levers and shifters. Recently I got new cranks bottom bracket and pedals.) To use disc brakes I had to get a new front wheel hub. No disc brake tabs on frame so I am running hybrid, discs front (cable) with rim brake rear. Works great!

Don't go for a too large frame

I generally disagree. Most people I see are riding bikes too small for them. Mostly do to fashion and bad shop advice. In order to get a decent pedal stroke you have to have a whole lot of seat post extension, then you are in a hunched over and uncomfortable because handle bars are generally so low. I am 170cm and I ride a 17.5 inch in a Trek and 19 inch in a Giant. Frame sizing varies, but the day you Really need top tube clearance you will get smacked anyway! Wear bike shorts. The Rincon has great top tube clearance anyway due to the funky frame design.

post-84769-0-26111100-1337142808_thumb.j

Edited by arunsakda

Thanks for the tips.Yes, I've spent a fortune on bikes in the past as well for the exotic materials and brands.Learned my lesson.

I think the disc model would be a good idea and I'd look at changing to some BBB branded stuff here and there...they have excellent quality entry-level replacement parts....allen key adjustable stem-rise (tend to like 0 degree stems ) and their solid platform pedals......got my semi-slicks stored elsewhere.I suppose an LX rear mech would smooth things out.

Generally what is it like riding on the roads here with the drivers....fast and hard and no signals from vehicles ?

Edited by freedomnow

I generally disagree. Most people I see are riding bikes too small for them. Mostly do to fashion and bad shop advice. In order to get a decent pedal stroke you have to have a whole lot of seat post extension, then you are in a hunched over and uncomfortable because handle bars are generally so low. I am 170cm and I ride a 17.5 inch in a Trek and 19 inch in a Giant. Frame sizing varies, but the day you Really need top tube clearance you will get smacked anyway! Wear bike shorts. The Rincon has great top tube clearance anyway due to the funky frame design.

It really depends on the type of riding you do, if you are doing lots of the downhill rides it would be better to go smaller. If you are cruising around on the street it's probably better to go larger. It also depends on how you mountain bike, a lot of body english or do you just power through....

As for standover, don't worry about it, once you are comfortable on your bike you won't be smacking the top tube...honestly these days I'm more likely to be catching my tender bits on the rear tire when I get too far back.

I shouldn't be recommending bikes to anyone, so I'll skip that part...

the entry-level treks have strong, relatively light aluminum frames that provide a good platform for gradual upgrades. they are designed for an upright riding position which is ok for touring on the road, but not great for xc or all-mountain downhill. a recent issue of "what mountain bike" discusses this in a review. standover is quite tall as well. on my 4300, which is a slightly older frame design, i've been able to compensate with an adjustable stem and lots of fiddling with saddle position. bottom line: it's a good bike and great value at 10K baht, but as a tall hardtail, not ideal for chiangmai singletrack.

post-17988-0-12891100-1337162728_thumb.j

Edited by Puwa

Generally what is it like riding on the roads here with the drivers....fast and hard and no signals from vehicles ?

With about 20'000 bicycle kms on Northern Thai roads I can't remember any real problem with cars (even though I ride an average of 25 km/h) but had some dangerous adventures with playing dogs on the road (2 crashs) as well as elderly village people on bikes and motorbikes (but never crashed). I try to avoid the city area as much as possible but even there never a really threatening situation.

Look far beyond your track and don't hesitate to ring your bell better early than late if you have the feeling any creature in your way is not aware of your departure. Then always smile and greet, and you'll never get a bad feedback.

Be always prepared for a sudden, hard break (One more reason for the disks). I need to break hard at least once a week.

Use clear hand signs early enough to show the traffic behind you whenever you plan to change your direction. Turn your head to check.

Go on the very left side of the road. A bicycle in the middle of the road can make thai drivers angry easily.

Not to mention - Wear proper gloves and a good helmet.

Edited by rebo

freedom... Check out the Kona brands as well. My wife rides a Kona Fire Mountain and it was under 12,000 with cable pull disk brakes. A friend bought two and rides them fairly hard. Good value for an entry level bike. Like the other posters have said, the disk brakes are so trouble free versus the "work on them all the time" rim brakes so it is workth paying a bit more.

I was also looking at the Trek 3900 but ended up buying a Merida Matts 40 for THB 13.000 in Sukhumvit road around soi 66. This is much more value for money. Tektro Disc breakes, Fork lockout and Shimano Deore shifter just to mention the most important.

Merida-Matts-40D-Bikes.jpg

Edited by Xonax

Fork me, you lads know ya bikes; I have something akin the thing pic'd above ^, price circa 10.5k, gets me up the Doi as far as View 1 - beyond that I need a good tail wind, or a pretty chick to chase. Off-road around the back of stadium700 it occasionally bucks me off, maybe I need to change the pad stoppers for a good disc ...

One time I went severely ascending with some of the local pro chaps (i had to dismount and push, perhaps i should'a stayd with the local pro girls ... ) either way, discs were smelling like burning rubber on the descent.

Little extension of this bike fanatic thread, have any of you built up an electric bike before ?

Ideally, it would be something you can strip off the bike when not needed.

So far I've found this kit but a bit steep on price.

http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/electric-bike-kit/index.html

Is there an electric bike seller here or kit seller ?

I imagine if you import a conversion kit from aliexpress.com it would get taxed heavily (average price $350-$900)