Visor On Your Helmet

Hey,

My helmet got a clear visor and and black "mirror" visor to pull down behind to block the sun.

Love those "mirror" looking visors, though not during night time! Safety first.

Can anyone recommend a good colour/combination of a visor good in both daylight and during night time besides the standard clear visor?

What colour visors do you ride with?

Emil

I doubt there is one. Any kind of tinted visor at night has to be worse than clear, hence why it's 'illegal'.

I have 2 tinted visors, one is black and the other is that rainbow/mirrored kind. At night I have i have to push up the visor on both.

Perhaps the others on here know more.

what brand helmet do you have?

I noticed that Bilmola have a photocromic visor but other than that i reckon a tinted visor will always be a bit of a hinderance at night.

I have 2 helmets, one with a mirror visor for day and another with clear for night; yes, i am too lazy to keep changing the visor on one helmet!

Edited by taichiplanet

what brand helmet do you have?

I noticed that Bilmola have a photocromic visor but other than that i reckon a tinted visor will always be a bit of a hinderance at night.

I have 2 helmets, one with a mirror visor for day and another with clear for night; yes, i am too lazy to keep changing the visor on one helmet!

i bought myself a pair of cyclist type clear wrapround specs from the local market for 100 baht and wear them to keep the dust out of my eyes at night...the tinted visor stays up while driving at night

Well, you could always fly in the wind like me and go with a skateboard helmet with a detachable baseball cap type visor and wear sunglasses -- clear ones at night. Of course, your buddies will dish up a lot of shit. The good news is the nobody will ever steal your helmet.post-74366-0-17047200-1337473882_thumb.j

Well, you could always fly in the wind like me and go with a skateboard helmet with a detachable baseball cap type visor and wear sunglasses -- clear ones at night. Of course, your buddies will dish up a lot of shit. The good news is the nobody will ever steal your helmet.post-74366-0-17047200-1337473882_thumb.j

You wear a skateboard helmet on a ER6? blink.png

What has the bike anything to do with helmets? blink.png

I presume the top speed. Eg wave 100 = 110kmh

Er6 = 210kmh

At least it not a bicycle helmet :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I presume the top speed. Eg wave 100 = 110kmh

Er6 = 210kmh

At least it not a bicycle helmet biggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Ok. Different helmets for different bikes, sounds logical.

Seriously, why would you do that.....

Unbelievable

Edited by madjbs

I thought about getting a yellow or dark grey before moving here but didn't feel like packing one. My helmet makes a visor change in a few seconds too...

I opted for sunglasses and a clear visor. I'd rather thave night time visibility AND a night time bug blocker. Not much sucks worse then a "meng mao" nailing you in the eye at 90kph....

I thought about getting a yellow or dark grey before moving here but didn't feel like packing one. My helmet makes a visor change in a few seconds too...

I opted for sunglasses and a clear visor. I'd rather thave night time visibility AND a night time bug blocker. Not much sucks worse then a "meng mao" nailing you in the eye at 90kph....

Lol +1

Wind, bugs & dirt are the primary reasons.

I found glasses that are even more fool-proof than dedicated bike glasses in keeping that out. They are cheap too, 120-150 baht on sunday markets,

and comes in yellow, dark, and no color.

I used to use the dark ones, but i think my eyes are getting worse at dark,

(harder to judge distances)

so i now use almost exclusively the yellow glasses.

Just one thing, the glasses will eventually catch scratches, so by a 5-pack

and ditch those messed up

Edited by poanoi

I too favor the clear shield and sunglass method. I can apply this solution to each of my helmets (full face and so forth), as I tested my helmets for size - with my largest aviators - before purchase. For some reason, I find that sunglasses are easier to keep handy than extra shields (and can cost less). Keep in mind that big glasses are required for broad vision and safety, although a dark shield is better for periferal vision.

But my reasoning, such as it is, has little to do with safety - it's all about fashion and style. OK, my sunglasses can be selected for effectiveness, color and darkness, but fashion and style add a lot to my posturing (self image). For example, when I'm doing wheelies and stoppies, people get to see who is making so much noise with that modded muffler.

Unfortunately, this is not a Thai solution particularly, and it cannot present the evil appearance of a mirrored or black shielded thief or assasin. Truth is, we can't have everything.

Edited by CMX

I too favor the clear shield and sunglass method. I can apply this solution to each of my helmets (full face and so forth), as I tested my helmets for size - with my largest aviators - before purchase. For some reason, I find that sunglasses are easier to keep handy than extra shields (and can cost less). Keep in mind that big glasses are required for broad vision and safety, although a dark shield is better for periferal vision.

But my reasoning, such as it is, has little to do with safety - it's all about fashion and style. OK, my sunglasses can be selected for effectiveness, color and darkness, but fashion and style add a lot to my posturing (self image). For example, when I'm doing wheelies and stoppies, people get to see who is making so much noise with that modded muffler.

Unfortunately, this is not a Thai solution particularly, and it cannot present the evil appearance of a mirrored or black shielded thief or assasin. Truth is, we can't have everything.

I'd be very careful wearing glass glasses (including prescription) due to the fact that the lens (and possibly the frame?) could break if your helmet impacts with something. In the US there are standards; ANSI Z87.1-2003 High Velocity and High Mass Impact standards. Basically polycarbonate lenses are 10 times more impact resistant than standard plastic or acryllic lenses. Most fashion sunglasses have glass in them due to being more scratch resistant.

I've wondered about the visor material on the Real helmets i use, i am happy it keeps the wind and bugs outta my face but have always suspected that it won't slow down a stone too much and may even shatter sending shards of plastic into my face!

And don't get me started on cheap sunglasses that probably don't give UV protection and probably damage your eyes more than wearing no glasses at all!

Okay, just had a cup of coffee and have calmed down now! smile.png

As i don't drive too much at night, i prefer having the mirrored visor for the day and a pair of yellow lense glasses with the visor up at night. The other good thing with the mirrored visor (in conjunction with jeans' long sleeved shirt and gloves) is that it is hard to tell that i am a farang; i've even had thais ask for directions at lights and be surprised when i pop the visor up.

Edited by taichiplanet

Theres plenty of helmets with clear visor and built-in drop down sun visor... Problem solved?!

Yep that's what I've got, a HJC with the internal visor. Press the button on top of the helmet and it slides back up into the helmet. Works great, 5000 baht from the UK

FS10Silver-SideLeft_lg.jpg

• Like 1

I use my Pro-Lite MarksMan glasses, they're actual professional shooting glasses, and they work very well day or night. And according to my g/f they look pretty cool. Before I had a helmet with a dark visor but got tired of paying a fine at every police stop.

If you not into gun sports the Pro-Lite MarksMan is probably a bit expensive, but the quality is superb... You can buy them at several gun shops in Bangkok (probably outside Bangkok also).

post-12170-0-42635600-1337570229_thumb.j

Plastic in all shapes and forms protect vs UV

but for eyes the standard is 95% UV blocking (in Europe) while some think 99% blocking is needed, so not all plastics will do that. There is a debate that tinted sunglasses that don't protect against UV adequately may damage the eyes more because the pupils are not as dialated as when you are not wearing sunnies.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sunglasses

Edited by taichiplanet

I use my Pro-Lite MarksMan glasses, they're actual professional shooting glasses, and they work very well day or night. And according to my g/f they look pretty cool. Before I had a helmet with a dark visor but got tired of paying a fine at every police stop.

If you not into gun sports the Pro-Lite MarksMan is probably a bit expensive, but the quality is superb... You can buy them at several gun shops in Bangkok (probably outside Bangkok also).

"Before I had a helmet with a dark visor but got tired of paying a fine at every police stop."

is there a law against tinted helmet visors in Thailand?

"Before I had a helmet with a dark visor but got tired of paying a fine at every police stop."

yes ,my friend got fined 500 thb once and he tried to tell the cop that if they were illegal they wouldnt be on sale in the big C

the cop ran to his pick up and cae back with a book of "the law " and showed him some relevant part about mirrored visors

i think its worth it to protect from sunburn

I've been fined a couple of times for this with my old Real helmet with the reflective type visor. One of the reasons I bought the HJC so I can just flip the internal visor back up into the helmet if I see a police point (or approach the area where I know they are). Probably cheaper to pay the fines but it annoys me to hand cash over to these 'police', the HJC is much better quality anyway so worth it IMO.

I've been fined a couple of times for this with my old Real helmet with the reflective type visor. One of the reasons I bought the HJC so I can just flip the internal visor back up into the helmet if I see a police point (or approach the area where I know they are). Probably cheaper to pay the fines but it annoys me to hand cash over to these 'police', the HJC is much better quality anyway so worth it IMO.

interesting, i've never heard of this before. A check of an english translation of the thai traffic laws doesn't say anything. The only reference to helmets is

Section 122 (500B)

[The rider and the passenger of a motorcycle shall wear a motorcycle helmet.

The provision under this Section is not forced for monks, novices, ascetics, persons of other religions which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial Regulation.]

But it is a translation of the 1979 act so not sure if the act has been updated or not since then. Can anyone provided the pertinent section? Obviously the police have it, as they wouldn't be fining people without it would they! wink.png

Edited by taichiplanet

Yes, the 'clear visor' rule has been introduced a few years back. They showed me at the police station and I had to pay 500 THB (official ticket). Checked it with some friend I have at the police station where I live and they also confirmed it... So swapped the visors for a clear vision and use sun glasses...

The yellow colored glasses help especially when the sun is going down, when it's night you not need to wear anything.