Fees For Charging Mobile Phones In Bars

neilf

i was in a bar in soi bhukeow 2 days ago---------Kat*si**e--------and was told by the staff that the owner had decided to charge 50 baht to anyone who wanted to plug in their phone for a top up of the battery

the wi fi is free so i suppose the local business brain thought customers would stay longer and need to charge their phones sometimes

i wondered if this was becoming standard practice or is it just one more bar to avoid

It may be some action to avoid too many costumers charging their eqp and occupying the available sockets.

I can't imagine, that the bar-owners would like to make money on this...........thinking of it.......is the bar-owner aware of what is asked? Maybe it is some daft action of the bar-staff and blaming the bar-owner for this new policy.

Next time, ask for the bar-owner if they would like to charge you and see what happens!

I'd like to see you get a days usage from the battery on my phone, modern phones of today use up battery life quite quickly if using the internet, forums, watching videos and so on.

As for the topic of this thread.

Maybe the bar mentioned Katesirree has had high demand from customers to recharge their phones and has decided to charge because he/she have to pay for the electricity, it aint free you know and if my phone needed charging I'd pay if I was wanting to use my phone in the bar, supply and demand. Oh and the beer is pretty cheap and a good place to watch sport, plenty of tv's.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'd like to see you get a days usage from the battery on my phone, modern phones of today use up battery life quite quickly if using the internet, forums, watching videos and so on.

Maybe the bar mentioned Katesirree has had high demand from customers to recharge their phones and has decided to charge because he/she have to pay for the electricity, it aint free you know and if my phone needed charging I'd pay if I was wanting to use my phone in the bar, supply and demand. Oh and the beer is pretty cheap and a good place to watch sport, plenty of tv's.

And now phones are coming with batteries you cant take our and replace, therefore you cant carry a spare with you. My new HTC ONE x has a battery like this. I'm finding it really does chew threw the battery life when u use the screen a lot.

As for the bar asking for money to charge the battery (charging for a charge laugh.png ) ... That just seems loopy from a business sense. The longer your customer stays in the bar, the more they will spend, surely?

.... has decided to charge because he/she have to pay for the electricity, it aint free you know ....

Surely not, but it doesnt cost 50B/unit either.

A charge of 5B would be fair, and would eloquently demonstrate what sort of mentality the owner must have.

I suppose he charges 50B to use the toilets also. Water ain't free either.

• Like 1

And now phones are coming with batteries you cant take our and replace, therefore you cant carry a spare with you. My new HTC ONE x has a battery like this. I'm finding it really does chew threw the battery life when u use the screen a lot.

As for the bar asking for money to charge the battery (charging for a charge laugh.png ) ... That just seems loopy from a business sense. The longer your customer stays in the bar, the more they will spend, surely?

If I was the bar owner and the customer was a regular who frequented the bar and spent money in the NOT cheap charlie way Then I'd gladly charge phone for free, but fact is there are many cheap charlie balloon chasers in Pattaya / many other places and go and sit in a bar for for an hour or more and buy maybe 1 beer for 35 baht and expect, some may even demand to have their phone charged for free whilst watching tv/sport or whatever.

At the end of the day it's the owners choice to do as he/she pleases and if they have decided to charge x amount of baht to charge a phone then that's their perogative, it's also the customers choice to accept the charge or decline that charge and charge the phone elsewhere. :blink:

As I said previous post I'd gladly pay if my phone needed charging and I needed to use it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is being naive, but how many people would go to a bar just to take advantage of a free battery charge? I guess once in a very long while people find themselves with low batteries and need to find a place to get a bit of extra charge, but I'd be surprised if this was a big cheap-charly trying to take advantage of anything that can be free trend (did I already say maybe I'm being naive?).

I would even think it is unusual that customers carry their battery chargers with them.

As someone pointed out above, this might have been the staff deciding to try to make some extra tip.

How much does it cost to connect a phone charger for an hour or so anyway?

.... has decided to charge because he/she have to pay for the electricity, it aint free you know ....

Surely not, but it doesnt cost 50B/unit either.

A charge of 5B would be fair, and would eloquently demonstrate what sort of mentality the owner must have.

I suppose he charges 50B to use the toilets also. Water ain't free either.

Correct water ain't free and nor are cleaning materials and staff to clean and service the toilets but I've heard many cheap charlies complaining over a 5 baht charge to relieve themselves and have pissed off elsewhere to do their ablutions. Pun intended.

Point taken on the 50 baht cost that may seem eccessive to some, but thats upto the owner as to what the charge will be and up to the customer to accept the fee or decline. Maybe the owner is pissed off at the number of phones being charged on a daily basis that he/she has decided to impose a charge.