Manchester United

redrus

Report: Bolton 0 United 1

17/01/2009 16:55-Officail Site

The champions sent out an ominous message to their title rivals as they moved into top spot for the first time this season thanks to Dimitar Berbatov’s last-minute winner at Bolton.

The Bulgarian headed home Carlos Tevez’s pinpoint cross to give United a vital three points on a day when it looked like the Reds would be left frustrated at the Reebok.

Despite already missing the injured Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown, Patrice Evra and Wayne Rooney, the Reds were given a major boost before kick-off when Carlos Tevez and Jonny Evans both passed late fitness tests. Evans partnered Nemanja Vidic in central defence, with Gary Neville and John O’Shea monitoring the flanks. Sir Alex Ferguson opted to mix things up in midfield with Darren Fletcher taking up a position on the right allowing Michael Carrick and Anderson to anchor the centre. Cristian Ronaldo operated down the left with Tevez partnering Dimitar Berbatov up front.

While United went in search of a fifth straight league win, Bolton were hoping for a change in fortunes having lost five of their last six league matches. It was the visitors who looked the livelier of the two sides in the opening exchanges thanks to some neat interplay and good movement in attack. And it was the Reds’ strike pair who created the first opening of the match on 14 minutes. A John O’Shea throw was flicked on by Berbatov to Tevez who headed the ball back into the Bulgarian’s path. Berbatov took one touch before letting fly with a sweetly struck volley, but it was always rising and flew high and over.

A somewhat cagey Bolton side, who had already suffered home defeats to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea before this game, seemed happy to let United dictate proceedings. But they made the most of a poor ball from Anderson just before the half-hour mark which allowed Fabrice Muamba to break forward. United’s Brazilian midfielder looked to have regained possession after sprinting back to atone for his error, but Muamba shrugged off his attentions and took aim at Van der Sar’s goal. Thankfully the Dutchman was alert to the situation and tipped the well-struck shot over the bar.

It sparked United into life at the other end with Ronaldo, who had previously netted six times in nine games against the Trotters, going close with a header from Fletcher’s right wing cross. Unfortunately it was straight at Jussi Jaaskelainen who pushed it clear.

Two minutes from the break the Bolton stopper dived low to his left to tip away Ronaldo’s deflected free-kick from the edge of the area, before parrying Anderson’s curling effort 60 seconds later.

The second period followed the same subdued pattern as the first as the sparring continued. But as the hour-mark approached both sides went close to breaking the deadlock within a minute. First, Jlloyd Samuel stepped over a sliding tackle from Gary Neville and hoisted a cross to the back post where Kevin Davies was waiting to head goalwards. Fortunately for the Reds his effort back across goal dropped onto the roof of the net. Seconds later Fletcher was unlucky not to connect with Ronaldo’s inswinging cross from the left as he sped in at the far post.

Four minutes later Jaaskelainen scooped away Ronaldo’s latest free-kick attempt with the rebound just eluding Carlos Tevez.

United were still lacking the cutting edge that so was evident against Chelsea, while their final ball continued to let them down in attack. Still the Reds were at least dominating possession and with that mind Sir Alex opted to introduce two of his most experienced campaigners – Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs - with 20 minutes remaining in a bid to make that possession count.

The pair began to exert their influence almost immediately as the Reds began to lay siege on Bolton’s goal.

On 82 minutes Giggs dinked a lovely ball over the top to Tevez but his header was straight into the arms of Jaaskelainen. A minute earlier the Fin’s opposite number did well to keep hold of a fizzing low centre from substitute Temitope Obadeyi as Matt Taylor lay ready to pounce.

Ronaldo saw another free-kick pushed clear and a low drive grasped by Jaaskelainen. It looked like the Reds were going to have to settle for a point until Tevez and Berbatov to devastating effect.

Giggs flicked a ball into Tevez who turned away from two Bolton defenders, before supplying an inch perfect cross to Berbatov who sent his diving header past Jaaskelainen and ensured top spot for the Reds.

Team Line-ups

United: Van der Sar; Neville, Vidic, Evans, O’Shea; Fletcher (Scholes 69), Carrick, Anderson (Giggs 69), Ronaldo, Berbatov, Tevez

Subs not used: Kuszczak, Nani, Park, Welbeck, Chester

Booked: O’Shea

Bolton: Jaaskelainen; Steinsson, Cahill, O’Brien, Samuel; Basham, Muamba, Taylor, Davies, Gardner (Puygrenier 83); Makukula (Obadeyi 64)

Subs not used: Bogdan, Smolarek, Riga, Shittu, Sinclair.

Booked: Makukula

Attendance: 26,021

Round up by Gemma Thompson

redrus

Mr Toad and Redrus I know you HAVE a sense of humour so thought I would share the following. If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at :o

1. Cristiano Ronaldo escaped unharmed after writing of his Ferrari and rumours are that he dived from car before it hit the barrier.

2. The first thing he said to the police was that the wall was not 10 yards away.

3. Alex Ferguson is claiming that Ferrari does not give Ronaldo enough protection.

4. Witnesses at the scene of Ronaldo's crash say he was only lightly tapped from behind, when all of a sudden the car flipped and rolled over 10 times.

5. Apparently witnesses in other cars who saw the incident, said that Ronaldo's car was accelerating towards the tunnel, when it suddenly and inexplicable seemed to flip over, with absolutely no contact with any other vehicles.

6. The police arrived, and immediately following directions from Ronaldo, arrested the nearest car driver.

7. Police are investigating why a player voted the worlds best cannot take a corner.

8. "Anyway he was all right, he was walking," said a witness, confirming that Ronaldo is the only man in Manchester who walks away from massive car smash but spends five minutes writhing in agony if someone pulls his socks down.

Must have been written by a LP or CHELSKI but it shows we can appreciate GOOD HUMOUR.

BT :D

Like it, very funny. I'd hedge a bet that it was a Scouser that wrote it, as those Chelski lot aren't known for there sense of humour, unless you count David Mellor dressing up in a Chelsea kit, and sucking some old hags toes, or John Terry falling over and missing a penaly in the European cup final as funny. Which, I did, but it wasn't deliberate on their part.

BTW, in case any of you missed it, please allow me to present you with the updated and correct standings.

Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS

1 Man Utd 21 9 1 0 24 4 5 4 2 10 6 24 47

2 Liverpool 21 6 4 0 16 6 7 3 1 19 7 22 46

3 Chelsea 22 5 4 2 19 7 8 2 1 23 6 29 45

4 Aston Villa 22 5 5 1 18 12 8 0 3 19 12 13 44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Arsenal 22 7 2 2 18 11 5 3 3 19 13 13 41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Everton 21 3 4 4 14 15 7 1 2 15 10 4 35

7 Wigan 22 6 2 3 12 10 3 2 6 13 13 2 31

8 West Ham 22 5 1 5 16 16 3 4 4 13 15 -2 29

9 Hull 22 3 2 6 11 23 4 4 3 18 19 -13 27

10 Fulham 20 6 3 1 16 8 0 5 5 3 9 2 26

11 Man City 21 6 0 5 25 11 1 4 5 14 19 9 25

12 Portsmouth 21 4 2 4 14 17 2 4 5 8 17 -12 24

13 Bolton 22 3 2 6 8 12 4 0 7 14 18 -8 23

14 Newcastle 22 4 4 3 18 19 1 4 6 10 18 -9 23

15 Sunderland 22 3 2 6 12 15 3 3 5 11 17 -9 23

16 Tottenham 22 3 4 4 8 8 2 2 7 13 19 -6 21

17 Blackburn 21 3 3 5 13 17 2 3 5 12 19 -11 21

18 Middlesbrough 22 3 4 4 10 15 2 2 7 8 18 -15 21

19 Stoke 22 5 3 3 12 11 0 3 8 7 24 -16 21

20 West Brom 22 5 2 4 16 16 1 1 9 4 21 -17 21

^

Only time will tell Steve mate, the proverbial fat one isn't singing just yet. :o

A Derby view for tomorrow.

Miracle at Old Trafford?

By Rampage - 19/01/2009 00:23

Can we leave our league form behind and pick up a famous win?

After our dismal capitulation on Saturday its' straight back into cup mode as we travel to Old Trafford in what looks set to be record breaking numbers.

If we take up our entire allocation of 12 000 seats then we'll break the record for the most away fans ever to visit Old Trafford, eclipsing Coventry's 11 500 who visited in the same competition in 2007. The Sky Blues came away with a 2-0 victory. Let's hope with a return to our cup form we can achieve a similar result.

Alex Ferguson has pledged to stick with his youngsters for the return leg, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a somewhat stronger team that steps onto the pitch. Silverware is silverware and Fergie is not one to take any chances especially when he must fancy facing a struggling Spurs at Wembley.

Regardless of which players we face tomorrow night there are many aspects of our game which need improving on. Cloughie will have hardly any time to right the wrongs of Saturday's performance after which he highlighted the need to get the basics right and the lack of positive play as some of his chief concerns.

My concerns are to numerous to list and will take time, money and a steady hand at the wheel to achieve. Tomorrow night may come to soon for second coming of Clough and I think we're going to have to hope for a miracle to avoid a nightmare in the Theatre of Dreams.

redrus

Mr Toad and Redrus I know you HAVE a sense of humour so thought I would share the following. If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at :D

1. Cristiano Ronaldo escaped unharmed after writing of his Ferrari and rumours are that he dived from car before it hit the barrier.

2. The first thing he said to the police was that the wall was not 10 yards away.

3. Alex Ferguson is claiming that Ferrari does not give Ronaldo enough protection.

4. Witnesses at the scene of Ronaldo's crash say he was only lightly tapped from behind, when all of a sudden the car flipped and rolled over 10 times.

5. Apparently witnesses in other cars who saw the incident, said that Ronaldo's car was accelerating towards the tunnel, when it suddenly and inexplicable seemed to flip over, with absolutely no contact with any other vehicles.

6. The police arrived, and immediately following directions from Ronaldo, arrested the nearest car driver.

7. Police are investigating why a player voted the worlds best cannot take a corner.

8. "Anyway he was all right, he was walking," said a witness, confirming that Ronaldo is the only man in Manchester who walks away from massive car smash but spends five minutes writhing in agony if someone pulls his socks down.

Must have been written by a LP or CHELSKI but it shows we can appreciate GOOD HUMOUR.

BT :P

9. Cristiano Ronaldo was later Red Car d :D ed for that incident, but wrote it off as an offside :o incident.

Yours truly,

and up the Rams :D right up em. 4-0 to Man U tonight :D

Kan Win-ski :wai:

Edited by Kan Win

I hope you win tonight & then beat, in fact demolish, the Pond Life at Wembley in the Final..

& if you fancy bashing 6 past them this weekend, feel free also... :o

How very kind of you sir....!

:D

redrus

hmm. bunch of underhand, crooked, disliked corporate whores. AIG are a horrible bunch as well as it goes.

by the way ms, what is your shirt sponser exactly?

as for our new ones, i doubt it will be some betting.com company, names like sahara and saudi telecom come to mind, but considering our owners, i doubt the latter is an option.

Heard you lot lost half your squad to injuries last night, such a shame that :o but I guess it was worth it.

Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Manchester United injuries could hand Tottenham an easier FA Cup passage

The injury situation for Tottenham and Manchester United are somewhat different ahead of the weekend FA Cup game between the two teams. Tottenham are currently likely to be missing three players for the weekend, but a heavy Old Trafford pitch and a combative Derby team has lead to something of an injury predicament (crisis is still a bit heavy).

United were already missing five players through injury before last night's League Cup semi-final; but as Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed after the match, injuries to another six players during the game meant that United finished the game with nine men and Jonny Evans playing on one leg. Four of the six (Evans, Rafael, Anderson and Nani) will definitely miss the Tottenham match, with Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs doubtful.

The defence is where United have lost the most players; which given the paucity of the attack in Wayne Rooney's absence could be critical.

From defence United could be missing six players - Patrice Evra (ankle), Rafael da Silva (hamstring), Wes Brown (ankle), Rio Ferdinand (back), Jonny Evans (ankle) and Gary Neville - leaving just Nemanja Vidic of the first four centre-halves and none of the usual full-backs. Even Owen Hargreaves, who could be drafted in at right-back (where he played for a while at Bayern Munich) is out for the season.

The United back four may well have a very strange look about it with O'Shea at left-back, Vidic partnered by 19-year-old James Chester in the middle and an emergency right-back like the versatile Darren Fletcher - or possibly another promotion from what is now a very junior youth team. The loan deals for the likes of Cathcart, Simpson and Cleverley could now be re-considered (if possible). This is a situation that Spurs should be able to exploit.

Away from the defence the losses of Hargreaves, Rooney, Anderson, Nani and possibly Ryan Giggs will restrict United's options all over the pitch. United may well take no risks with niggles this weekend and may even accept the fixture congestion relief that an early exit from the FA Cup could bring.

United could line up something like:

van der Sar, Fletcher, O'Shea, Chester, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo, Welbeck, Tevez, Berbatov. Which is a good side, but well below the strength that Spurs would have expected to face.

Spurs' injury worries could be exacerbated by the Burnley game this evening; but is currently restricted to Roman Pavlyuchenko (ankle), Ledley King (hamstring) and Alan Hutton (metataral fracture) - recruitment of Defoe and Palacios in recent days will restrict these problems however.

A United team possibly missing eleven first teamers and with so many other committments could offer Tottenham a real shot at a shock fourth round win at Old Trafford.

Youngsters will play at Wembley

Last Modified: 21 Jan 2009

Source: ITN

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed his young players will get the chance to play at Wembley in the Carling Cup final.

United bounced back from a 1-0 semi-final first leg defeat away at Championship club Derby County by winning the second leg 4-2 at Old Trafford to complete a 4-2 aggregate victory.

Ferguson left experienced players Cristiano Ronaldo, Edwin Van Der Sar and Dimitar Berbatov out of the team for the second leg and admitted they will probably not play at Wembley either.

He said: "They will all play in the final. They deserve to.

"It is always a great occasion at Wembley but the only way you can really enjoy it is by winning."

When United last reached the Carling Cup final in 2006, Ferguson picked a full-strength team throughout the competition and they beat Wigan 4-0 in the final.

© Independent Television News Limited 2009. All rights reserved.

redrus

January 21st, 2009

Ronaldo: My Only True Happiness Is United

Cristiano Ronaldo received a warm applaused yesterday (or Ryan Giggs received a good send off) as he was subbed on to our League Cup semi-final against Derby. A couple of rounds of his “Viva Ronaldo” were sung ahead of him scoring the penalty in front of the Stretford End. Maybe our hearts are thawing? Who knows?

Still, Ronaldo claims he feels like ‘part of the furniture’ at United as it’s starting to look more likely he will he stay in the summer. After previously being resigned to his departure, I’m starting to believe he might actually be around next season. Still, I won’t hold my breath.

“I’m very happy at Manchester United. I am at home here,” said Ronaldo. “For all I have achieved and won, for the friendships I have made with supporters and the United family — I’ve been very well treated by everyone. I feel this is a very beautiful cycle in my career that I will always remember. Alex Ferguson has supported me a lot. I feel part of the furniture here and this is my home. Everything I do generates a certain interest but the only true thing is that I am happy at Manchester United. To be honest, I never imagined playing at a club like United. I dreamed of Benfica, Porto and Sporting, but never arriving at this level. I always wanted to be a professional footballer but even when they came to see me I thought nothing would come of it.”

Author: Scott the Red, RepulicofMancunia

redrus

O'Shea: Tosic will entertain Man Utd fans

21.01.09 | tribalfootball.com

John O'Shea has assured Manchester United fans their wait to see Zoran Tosic make his debut will be worth it.

He told MUTV: "He’s made a good impression on everybody with his set piece delivery and beautiful left foot.

"He really is a natural wide player and I’m sure he’s going to be a joy to watch and a pleasure to play with."

Man Utd secure £4M sponsorship deal with Hublot

21.01.09 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester United has signed a new multi-million pound sponsorship deal with Swiss watch manufacturers Hublot.

Hublot, which provided the timing at Euro 2008, has paid a reported £4m for a three-year partnership deal with the Champions League holders.

It joins Saudi Telecom, Budweiser, and Seoul Metropolitan Government as sponsors who have committed themselves to Manchester United this season.

The Swiss firm will now have its brand name around Old Trafford stadium.*

*As they were last night.........

redrus

hmm. bunch of underhand, crooked, disliked corporate whores. AIG are a horrible bunch as well as it goes.

as for our new ones, i doubt it will be some betting.com company, names like sahara and saudi telecom come to mind, but considering our owners, i doubt the latter is an option.

A 2 Bob Betting Company, the same as yours... :o

http://www.sbobet.com/

Edited by MSingh
  • Like 1

A 2 Bob Betting Company, the same as yours... :D

:o

redrus

• Like 1

redrus

Technically, it's true.... :D

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/inter...05/23/29286.htm

• Like 1

redrus

Technically, it's true.... :D

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/inter...05/23/29286.htm

Or maybe this?

post-48660-1232544657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've heard Tampax are taking over as sponsors :o

Rumour on Samui is that a few of the Diving Companies are interested in Sponsoring them too, not sure where the link would be between them too but there you go...:D

Well it will be Saudi Telecom or Sahara from India or LG from Korea. Don't be surprised if it comes from an energy company or IT such as Google, yahoo or Apple. Personally I can't see it being ST because whats the upside for them - they get to promote their services to people who can't use them?

Anyways MS, it's guaranteed to be the biggest deal ever and most likely with a global company unlike other teams. I must admit though, have no idea what KAROO is but it looks good on Hull's shirts.

Well it will be Saudi Telecom or Sahara from India or LG from Korea. Don't be surprised if it comes from an energy company or IT such as Google, yahoo or Apple. Personally I can't see it being ST because whats the upside for them - they get to promote their services to people who can't use them?

Anyways MS, it's guaranteed to be the biggest deal ever and most likely with a global company unlike other teams. I must admit though, have no idea what KAROO is but it looks good on Hull's shirts.

Our Shirt Sponsor's global, they're is based in the Phillipines & the Isle of Man, jing jing... :D

Our Shirt Sponsor's global, they're is based in the Phillipines & the Isle of Man, jing jing... :D

by the sounds of them, they seem to be a better fit for Harry and co. :D

INJURIES - GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS

post-16343-1232709316_thumb.jpg

First, the good news... Sir Alex Ferguson says Anderson could be back in action inside a month after injuring his ankle against Derby County.

Fans had feared the worst after the 20-year-old Brazilian midfielder was stretchered from the pitch at the final whistle on Tuesday.

"We sent Anderson for a scan and there’s no break," Sir Alex told us today. "But there was some ligament damage. We think he’ll be out for three weeks."

Now, the bad news... ten players will miss the Tottenham match tomorrow.

"The ones who are out [for the Spurs game] are Rio Ferdinand, Anderson, Nani, Rafael, Patrice Evra, Wayne Rooney, Wes Brown, Jonny Evans, Ji-sung Park and Owen Hargreaves. Nani suffered a groin injury and he’ll be out for a week. Jonny Evans [ankle] will be out for three weeks.

"We still have Dimitar Berbatov, Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo fit. But we will have to call on some young players. I’ve called in Richard Eckersley and Fabio [da Silva], who could be involved."

"The injuries are mainly to the defenders - I've got a whole back four out for Saturday. I could play Darren Fletcher at right back, with Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic and John O’Shea, which would give me an experienced back four. But I’ve called in Richard Eckersley and Fabio, who could be involved."

The good news is that most of United's injury concerns are not long-term. Rooney and Evra aren't far off comebacks from hamstring and ankle problems, while Ferdinand (back) and Brown (ankle) could be fit to face Everton on Monday 2 February. (If either United or Everton require an FA Cup fourth round replay, the game will be brought forward to Saturday 31 Jan).

"Rio and Wes could be back for the Everton game, if the match is on Monday," the boss said.

The injuries have prompted more calls for a winter break from the United camp, as a busy winter schedule takes its toll. "It’s not the best position to be in. January is a difficult month. We’ve talked a lot about having a winter break to get rid of the strains you pick up in January. But it’s not to be. The result is that the strains become injuries and the players miss matches."

redrus

Edited by redrus

Arsenal boss Wenger backs Liverpool chief Benitez: Fixture list favours Man United and it's unfair

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:29 PM on 23rd January 2009

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has backed Rafael Benitez in his war of words with Manchester United.

The Liverpool boss claimed the Barclays Premier League fixture list favours United in a remarkable outburst against Alex Ferguson and his club.

And Wenger believes Benitez was correct in questioning the way fixtures are arranged.

post-16343-1232729869_thumb.jpg

Support: Arsene Wenger agrees with Benitez that United have been advantaged

'I feel that next week [Liverpool manager Rafael] Benitez has a case if you look at the way the fixtures are arranged,' said Wenger. 'You can say that Manchester United have been extremely advantaged, unexplainably advantaged.

'But that is what we have to cope with. It is difficult to explain why one team plays on Tuesday and the others are all on Wednesday.

'It is unfair competition. Next week the fixtures are advantaged for Manchester United, who before had a point against Liverpool - I supported them when they had a case. But this week, I think Benitez has a case.

'Manchester United play on Tuesday at West Brom, after they play against Everton who will have played on Sunday, again on Wednesday night.

Rafael Benitez

post-16343-1232729904_thumb.jpg

Outburst: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

'I do not think you need to be a specialist in football to understand that in this case it is an unfair advantage for Manchester United.

'Will it have an advantage on the global season? I don't know, you would have to analyse that better.

'It is not Manchester United's fault, it is not Liverpool's fault. It is the organisers of the fixtures. They have a case to explain.'

Wenger, meanwhile, insists Arsenal are still in the Premier League title race and is adamant his fifth-placed team can claim a fourth championship this season.

The north London club are just six points behind leaders Manchester United but have played a game more than their rivals.

He said: 'We have not sacrificed the league yet. It is the most important competition.

'What counts is the points - we are only six points from the top team at the moment.

'We have come back into a good position and the league is the most important competition for me because that tells you how strong we are after 38 games.

'Our focus is on the league, the Champions League and the FA Cup - we do not especially choose.'

redrus

Scholes warns squad players

United ace urges fringe players to prove club has a strong squad

Paul Scholes believes it's about time Manchester United backed up claims that they have a strong squad.

post-16343-1232731287_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson's men go into the FA Cup fourth round tie against Tottenham at Old Trafford with ten first team players out of action.

That figure could rise to a dozen if Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs do not recover from minor knocks.

But Scholes, who is likely to feature against Spurs, is determined not to use the injury list as an excuse for any slack performances.

"We have been saying all along we have a big squad and a quality squad. Now we have to prove it," the midfielder said.

"Only time will tell if we get stretched.

"Wes Brown has been looking quite good in training, so he should be back soon. It would be nice to get Rio Ferdinand back as well.

"It is disappointing when you get injuries and we seem to be dropping like flies but this is the time you need your squad players."

The Red Devils squad is so depleted that youngsters Richard Eckersley, James Chester, who came off the bench against Derby in midweek, and Fabio, Rafael da Silva's twin brother, have been fast tracked into the first-team squad for Saturday's cup clash.

Talent

Despite their lack of experience Scholes has no worries that they can step up to the plate, with many of them having helped United on their way to the Carling Cup final.

But the 34-year-old did not need to be reminded how talented this latest crop of youngsters were having witnessed first hand in training their undoubted potential.

"It didn't take winning a semi-final to realise there are a lot of good young players coming through," Scholes added.

"We train with these lads every day and they have all the quality. They are still young lads and have plenty of improvement to do but they are at the right place to do it."

The Oldham born ace has experienced lifting the FA Cup and even scoring in a final but he insists he understands Spurs boss Harry Redknapp fielding a weakened side.

"Harry is normally quite an honest bloke and he probably thinks there are more important things ahead of him," Scholes explained.

"In fairness he probably has because it would be disastrous if Tottenham went down. I'm sure they won't but that has to be his priority."

redrus

Sheikh Hamdan Maktoum; hereditary Prince of Dubai is a United fan...

Will his family bid to buy the club?

The transfer window is open until the end of the month, much of the activity and speculation has so far centred on big-spending rivals Manchester City, more on this later.

Before that and in the wake of the collapse of the Kaka transfer to City, BBC Sport online has today published a story which focuses on interest in football in the middle east, in which it has been revealed that Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, hereditary Prince of Dubai is a Manchester United fan, as is his brother... United up for sale?..

In another article that I have stumbled upon, it has been confirmed that Sheikh Hamdan Maktoum formed an investment company back in November with a view to investing in football.

I am taking on the role of devil's advocate here, but you do wonder if Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum and his investment company would be interested in acquiring the finest club in all the land? Friends, that is not Liverpool, before anyone makes the suggestion. The Glazer family will, I assure my readers be looking to sell on United at some point in the not too distant future.

Now back to the hilarious events surrounding City's botched attempts to sign Kaka. Gabriele Marcotti, the brilliant Times columnist has questioned the role of Gary Cook, City's chief negotiator and the events leading up to the collapse of what turned out to be a shambolic affair which ended in acrimony. I recommend that anyone who is remotely interested in the Kaka story should read Marcotti's excellent article in which he pins the blame squarely on the shoulders of Gary Cook. Milan did not bottle it, on the contrary Cook botched it..

# posted by James Ryddel

redrus