Manchester United

redrus

The touch by Giggs to control that Ball out of the air for the VDS kick to set up the equaliser was quite possibly the best piece of control i have ever seen, it made me sit up from my slumber & say " Cooooorrrrrrr " before laying back before the little Pea put it away, i was still drooling over Giggsy's control..:D

I thought the Ref was shocking..

Anyone notice how Charlie Adam absolutely dissapeared for large parts of the Game ??

He's undoubtedly talented but................

He's unfit surely ??

The touch by Giggs to control that Ball out of the air for the VDS kick to set up the equaliser was quite possibly the best piece of control i have ever seen, it made me sit up from my slumber & say " Cooooorrrrrrr " before laying back before the little Pea put it away, i was still drooling over Giggsy's control..:D

I thought the Ref was shocking..

Anyone notice how Charlie Adam absolutely dissapeared for large parts of the Game ??

He's undoubtedly talented but................

He's unfit surely ??

Spot on re ref Singh, Blackpool had to play 12 men. What was the True Visions commentator smoking when he said that foul in Man U's penalty area when Blackpool were 2 up was not a foul? I'm not normally one to climb on the bandwagon that says that Man U's reputation intimidates refs into cosy decision making (or worse accusations) but there was a half hour period when he should seriously be put under investigation by the Ref's Panel for his poor judgments.

I thought the Blackpool players did well to keep focus and get on with the game. They would have probably lost even if they had been awarded that penalty, such was the strength of the United come-back and the exhaustion of the Blackpool side. Great game - and talking of ball control - what about Berbatov plucking a long flyer straight out of the air above his head and shooting in nearly one perfect move. Goal of the season if it goes in.

You absolute sods Man U. You know how to put your competitions' fans through the wringer don't you :rolleyes:

Spot on re ref Singh, Blackpool had to play 12 men. What was the True Visions commentator smoking when he said that foul in Man U's penalty area when Blackpool were 2 up was not a foul? I'm not normally one to climb on the bandwagon that says that Man U's reputation intimidates refs into cosy decision making (or worse accusations) but there was a half hour period when he should seriously be put under investigation by the Ref's Panel for his poor judgments.

I thought the Blackpool players did well to keep focus and get on with the game. They would have probably lost even if they had been awarded that penalty, such was the strength of the United come-back and the exhaustion of the Blackpool side. Great game - and talking of ball control - what about Berbatov plucking a long flyer straight out of the air above his head and shooting in nearly one perfect move. Goal of the season if it goes in.

You absolute sods Man U. You know how to put your competitions' fans through the wringer don't you :rolleyes:

Fair enough points.

Re Rafael's shoulder barge though, i think Varney showed him too much of the ball and Rafael went for it and won it. If it's out of the box Varney's got the strength to barge back - Rafael's pretty small after all - but with it being in the box and with few of his own players around to pass to, he goes to ground looking for a pen. Personally, i'm happy when players who go looking for pens don't get them awarded, even if technically there may be a case.

And by the way, i stand by that view, even if it's my own player. Take when Berba got clipped playing against Liverpool. Yes he was clipped so technically a pen can be awarded - and in this case was - but lets face it, he could have stayed on his feet had he wanted to. I'd prefer it if he had done and gone on to create or score a goal. He didn't. We got a pen, and that helped us win the game. Not going to apologise for that of course, cos all players in all teams use the same tactics. On the other hand, i'm not going to applaud it either. Part of the game sadly.

I'll agree with you Rixalex if Rafael 'won it' by touching the ball. I only saw the incident twice and I thought he didn't get there - I thought Varney pushed it forward then Rafael barged into him three-quarters on (no problem if it's into his shoulder). Would let the ref off too if he was not up with play but the commentator said he was right up with play and got a fair view.

Anyway all this is the stuff of football and you guys would have won 4-3 anyway.

Edwin Van der Sar confirmed today his retirement at the end of this season (reported on BBC ) Will be a huge loss.Something reassuring, when you are a United fan, to see him between the sticks.Has been compared to Schmeichell. For me, against the majority opinion no doubt , as good, if not better. No theatrics,and a better person. Wishing to spend more time with his family and especially his wife who was seriously ill a few months ago. Good luck Edwin.

Edwin Van der Sar confirmed today his retirement at the end of this season (reported on BBC ) Will be a huge loss.Something reassuring, when you are a United fan, to see him between the sticks.Has been compared to Schmeichell. For me, against the majority opinion no doubt , as good, if not better. No theatrics,and a better person. Wishing to spend more time with his family and especially his wife who was seriously ill a few months ago. Good luck Edwin.

Yes i agree Sparky. No offence to Fulham, but wish he had of come straight to us.

Yes i agree Sparky. No offence to Fulham, but wish he had of come straight to us.

Fergie did say he wished he had signed him years earlier he is a fantastic keeper and we will miss him hope we get a top replacement in the summer.

Fergie did say he wished he had signed him years earlier he is a fantastic keeper and we will miss him hope we get a top replacement in the summer.

The rumour on the Sky site is that Marteen Stekelenburg is a possible replacement for Edwin VDS.

Anyone know anything about him ?

More here :-

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6707602,00.html

The rumour on the Sky site is that Marteen Stekelenburg is a possible replacement for Edwin VDS.

Anyone know anything about him ?

More here :-

http://www.skysports...6707602,00.html

Very little mate.

Personally i don't think they need look that far afield. Shay Given would be a perfect fit. Bit of a crime that such a quality keeper is sitting his career out on a bench.

Personally i don't think they need look that far afield. Shay Given would be a perfect fit. Bit of a crime that such a quality keeper is sitting his career out on a bench.

Shay must be on pots of money to sit so quietly. I was annoyed that Wenger didn't pounce when he and Bellamy were reputedly 'detached of spirit' over the Mark Hughes sacking at City. Maybe he did try - the Arsenal machine seems to be quite good at keeping the press at bay on transfers until suddenly there is a signing. If there isn't we tend not to hear anything.

I think Given may be in with a chance at City soon - boy wonder Hart seems to be developing a nervous twitch that drops the ball a couple of times rather too close to onrushing opposition forwards.

Edited by SantiSuk

I think Given may be in with a chance at City soon - boy wonder Hart seems to be developing a nervous twitch that drops the ball a couple of times rather too close to onrushing opposition forwards.

I think your right. Hart is a class keeper but he does make me nervous sometimes. He doesn't command his area well enough for me.

Shay must be on pots of money to sit so quietly. I was annoyed that Wenger didn't pounce when he and Bellamy were reputedly 'detached of spirit' over the Mark Hughes sacking at City. Maybe he did try - the Arsenal machine seems to be quite good at keeping the press at bay on transfers until suddenly there is a signing. If there isn't we tend not to hear anything.

Transfers and contracts are a two way process mate. Just because Bellamy and Given might have wanted to move and just because Wenger might want to sign them is irrelevent if the arabs dont want to sell.

With their financial resources why would they sell quality players to any of the other top five clubs. This is where their financial muscle comes in. its wrong and probably bad for football but thats the way it is. Fact is they can affored to keep quality players on the bech rather than sell to recoup finances.

Id imagine Given would be wanted a Arsenal, Spurs and (Man U at the end of the season) ... no chance he'll go to any of them imho ... Hes been quoted as saying he'll play in the Championship just to get a game. Thatll teach the little money grabber.

Can someone please explain to me what system United were playing in the 1st half, because to my old eye I couldn't fathom out what the f%&k we were doing, both Gibson & Obertan seemed to be all over the place like a mad woman's sh*t

Jonny Evans looked shakey at the back which appeared to have an unsettling effect on young Smalling also. Anderson wasn't playing to his full potential and the mid field in general looked a bit perplexed as to what formation they were supposed to be in.

Thankfully, S.A.F. got my telepathic messsages and brought on Giggs & Nani, which changed the course of the game.

Call me old-fashioned but I do like a team with a winger or two :-)

The first half put me to sleep... literally....

How many more appalling away performances before we get unstuck? Worrying.....

I had this feeling Southampton were going to ruin your luck towards the end and take you back up North for a much unwanted replay. Then I had another thought and prayer that brightened my evening when the final whistle blew.

"Dear God please preserve their change of luck for an EPL game". "Yes my son - your wish is granted"

:rolleyes:

Id imagine Given would be wanted a Arsenal, Spurs and (Man U at the end of the season) ... no chance he'll go to any of them imho ... Hes been quoted as saying he'll play in the Championship just to get a game. Thatll teach the little money grabber.

Spoken like a true spiteful jilted (Geordie?) fan :rolleyes:

It amazes me how football fans celebrate like crazy when their wastrel owners splash out big bucks on some new overpaid star and then spit teeth when the same greed that brought the guy in whistles him on to his next step on the gravy train (sorry - horrible mixed metaphor - stepping into gravy yeuk!).

Nothing personal Englander - we're all at it.

It amazes me how football fans celebrate like crazy when their wastrel owners splash out big bucks on some new overpaid star and then spit teeth when the same greed that brought the guy in whistles him on to his next step on the gravy train (sorry - horrible mixed metaphor - stepping into gravy yeuk!).

You are quite right. I think the problem arises from the fact that fans delude themselves into thinking the players have some sort of emotional attachment to the club, like they do. Of course there are the exceptions, but for the most part, for the players it's simply a job and the club is their employer.

Can someone please explain to me what system United were playing in the 1st half, because to my old eye I couldn't fathom out what the f%&k we were doing, both Gibson & Obertan seemed to be all over the place like a mad woman's sh*t

Jonny Evans looked shakey at the back which appeared to have an unsettling effect on young Smalling also. Anderson wasn't playing to his full potential and the mid field in general looked a bit perplexed as to what formation they were supposed to be in.

Thankfully, S.A.F. got my telepathic messsages and brought on Giggs & Nani, which changed the course of the game.

100% agree.

I honestly thought the team would not be that weak, due to lessons learned from the past.

Buy in 11 players, and put them together as a team after a few weeks, and one get the same performance (and confusion) as yesterday.

Sometimes I just dont understand what Sir A. is trying to do.

Looked like they had never played together before.

But then again, Sir A has already proven to be a better manager than I am.

:)

sorry double post.

100% agree.

I honestly thought the team would not be that weak, due to lessons learned from the past.

Buy in 11 players, and put them together as a team after a few weeks, and one get the same performance (and confusion) as yesterday.

Sometimes I just dont understand what Sir A. is trying to do.

Looked like they had never played together before.

But then again, Sir A has already proven to be a better manager than I am.

:)

Edited by Travel2003

Spoken like a true spiteful jilted (Geordie?) fan :rolleyes:

Nothing personal Englander - we're all at it.

No Newcastle fan could have blamed him for wanting to leave with Ashleys goings on, though it is widely thought he could have waited until the end of the season instead of jumping from a sinking ship when he was needed the most which left a slightly bitter taste.

PS When has Ashley spent big? hes only ever sold.

Jasus, even Obertan and Gibson can cope with Crawley, surely...... :rolleyes:

FA CUP 5TH ROUND DRAW: 'NOW WATCH US STUFF MANCHESTER UNITED' SAY CRAWLEY

ABOVE: Crawley's Matt Tubbs scored the goal that KO'd Torquay

31st January 2011 By George Scott

NON-LEAGUE Crawley were last night handed a dream FA Cup clash at Manchester United.

And boss Steve Evans insisted: We can turn them over.

The Blue Square Premier side were jubilant as yesterday’s fifth round draw gave them a trip to Old Trafford after a goal by Matt Tubbs KO’d Torquay.

Crawley can look forward to a £1m payday, but they are already gunning for bigger things than just money. Evans said: “That’s the one I wanted.

“Sir Alex Ferguson is the best manager in the world and we are going to the most famous club in the world.

“This is the tie of everyone’s dreams at Crawley Town and we are all looking forward to having the most wonderful day of a lifetime.

“It was just a surreal moment when we realised we’ve got the tie that everyone in the country wants.

“Let there be no mistake, everyone in football outside the big three or four want Manchester United at Old Trafford.

“We will approach this match in a really positive nature and if there is any non-league club capable of beating Manchester United it’s Crawley Town, because we have got the best players that have been at this level for a long time.

“We are more organised than others but it is going to need nothing short of miracles for us to win there but miracles do happen every 100 years or so!”

Leyton Orient’s reward for knocking out Championship promotion hopefuls Swansea was a home tie against London neighbours Arsenal.

And if Manchester City come through their replay against lowly Notts County, after yesterday’s 1-1 draw at Meadow Lane, they face a tricky home fixture against resurgent Aston Villa.

There will even be a bit of me thats behind Crawley on the day. Good luck to em.... :wai:

redrus

Worth a read this.......!

Joe Lovejoy at St Mary's

The Guardian, Monday 31 January 2011

That the FA Cup has lost much of its magic is a given these days, for reasons that are all too obvious. There were 4,000 empty seats at St Mary's on Saturday for what was billed as the tie of the fourth round, proving that you can't fool all the people all the time.

Resurgent Southampton, a good bet for promotion from League One, were looking forward to testing themselves against the best team in the country with excited anticipation until it leaked out they would be playing the third-best team in Manchester. Sir Alex Ferguson said before the match that he would be sending "a strong side" – not his strongest, please note.

Fans are not fools and they picked up on the nuance: the reserves were coming. Paying good money to see the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney and Berbatov was one thing, forking out the hard-earned for Smalling, Evans, Obertan and Gibson quite another, and the attendance was only marginally bigger than the 26,000 who witnessed Bournemouth's visit in October.

United are not the only culprits when it comes to devaluing the competition, far from it. There are so many examples it seems invidious to single out one or two, but what the hell. In the last round, when Cardiff City played Stoke City, both managers said they were more interested in their respective league positions. Tony Pulis rested 10 players, Dave Jones left out six of his best and the result was the worst match this reporter has endured in 40 years as a professional observer.

Mick McCarthy of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackpool's Ian Holloway have both been fined recently for fielding below-strength teams in the Premier League, why should the FA Cup be any different? Is the Football Association tacitly admitting what most of us have known all along – that the league they birthed, with its fabulous wealth, is the be-all-and-end-all in these increasingly venal times?

No doubt Ferguson will escape censure, as he always does, which gives rise to another question: it is the managers' obligation to speak to the press after matches, so that their thoughts and opinions can be disseminated to the public? How come Ferguson alone gets away with never doing so (any quotes attributed to him come via United's TV station), and how damaging to the game's image would it be were all his peers decided to follow suit?

Despite, or maybe because of, the league leaders' selection, the tie on Saturday was a good one. The team from the third tier were more than a match for their second-string opponents, and it was only the introduction of reinforcements, in the shape of Nani and Ryan Giggs, that turned an evenly-matched contest United's way.

In the first half the Saints played the better, more cohesive football, a credit to their young manager, Nigel Adkins, who established an impressive reputation at Scunthorpe and is busily adding to it on the south coast. Much has been said about 17-year-old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been dubbed the new Theo Walcott, but he was not a major influence here. Instead it was the Brazilian Guly Do Prado, formerly of Fiorentina, who caught the eye with a constructively energetic contribution in midfield. It was no more than Southampton deserved when Richard Chaplow drove firmly past United's debutant goalkeeper, Anders Lindegaard, just before half time.

Ferguson admitted that he had "meddled too much" in using a diamond formation in midfield, with Paul Scholes at its base and Michael Owen the apex, and he corrected things in the second half, with what amounted to 4-2-4 after the substitutions.

The cavalry saved the day. Owen equalised with an expertly-directed header from eight yards, then Giggs set up Javier Hernández for a real poacher's finish. The Mexican cleverly used his body to shield the ball from José Fonte, losing his balance but managing to prod home his 11th goal of the season via an upright.

So United won and, reserves or not, Ferguson will argue that the end justified the means. No doubt his walking wounded will all be back against Aston Villa tomorrow.

redrus

Worth a read this.......!

Joe Lovejoy at St Mary's

The Guardian, Monday 31 January 2011

That the FA Cup has lost much of its magic is a given these days, for reasons that are all too obvious. There were 4,000 empty seats at St Mary's on Saturday for what was billed as the tie of the fourth round, proving that you can't fool all the people all the time.

Resurgent Southampton, a good bet for promotion from League One, were looking forward to testing themselves against the best team in the country with excited anticipation until it leaked out they would be playing the third-best team in Manchester. Sir Alex Ferguson said before the match that he would be sending "a strong side" – not his strongest, please note.

Fans are not fools and they picked up on the nuance: the reserves were coming. Paying good money to see the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney and Berbatov was one thing, forking out the hard-earned for Smalling, Evans, Obertan and Gibson quite another, and the attendance was only marginally bigger than the 26,000 who witnessed Bournemouth's visit in October.

United are not the only culprits when it comes to devaluing the competition, far from it. There are so many examples it seems invidious to single out one or two, but what the hell. In the last round, when Cardiff City played Stoke City, both managers said they were more interested in their respective league positions. Tony Pulis rested 10 players, Dave Jones left out six of his best and the result was the worst match this reporter has endured in 40 years as a professional observer.

Mick McCarthy of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackpool's Ian Holloway have both been fined recently for fielding below-strength teams in the Premier League, why should the FA Cup be any different? Is the Football Association tacitly admitting what most of us have known all along – that the league they birthed, with its fabulous wealth, is the be-all-and-end-all in these increasingly venal times?

No doubt Ferguson will escape censure, as he always does, which gives rise to another question: it is the managers' obligation to speak to the press after matches, so that their thoughts and opinions can be disseminated to the public? How come Ferguson alone gets away with never doing so (any quotes attributed to him come via United's TV station), and how damaging to the game's image would it be were all his peers decided to follow suit?

Despite, or maybe because of, the league leaders' selection, the tie on Saturday was a good one. The team from the third tier were more than a match for their second-string opponents, and it was only the introduction of reinforcements, in the shape of Nani and Ryan Giggs, that turned an evenly-matched contest United's way.

In the first half the Saints played the better, more cohesive football, a credit to their young manager, Nigel Adkins, who established an impressive reputation at Scunthorpe and is busily adding to it on the south coast. Much has been said about 17-year-old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been dubbed the new Theo Walcott, but he was not a major influence here. Instead it was the Brazilian Guly Do Prado, formerly of Fiorentina, who caught the eye with a constructively energetic contribution in midfield. It was no more than Southampton deserved when Richard Chaplow drove firmly past United's debutant goalkeeper, Anders Lindegaard, just before half time.

Ferguson admitted that he had "meddled too much" in using a diamond formation in midfield, with Paul Scholes at its base and Michael Owen the apex, and he corrected things in the second half, with what amounted to 4-2-4 after the substitutions.

The cavalry saved the day. Owen equalised with an expertly-directed header from eight yards, then Giggs set up Javier Hernández for a real poacher's finish. The Mexican cleverly used his body to shield the ball from José Fonte, losing his balance but managing to prod home his 11th goal of the season via an upright.

So United won and, reserves or not, Ferguson will argue that the end justified the means. No doubt his walking wounded will all be back against Aston Villa tomorrow.

redrus

Great read mate i cannot understand why united do not get find for fielding a weakened team and it is just taking the piss playing the reserves and expecting the fans to pay top dollar,expect more the same against crawley.

Happy united was able to sit back and just watch the madness of the closing of the transfer window.

Back to football tonight some big games on and can we keep the unbeaten run going should be ok tonight but the visit to wolves could be a tricky one.