Manchester United

redrus

Samsung claim Manchester United shirt sponsor talks

South Korean electronic giants Samsung have emerged as the latest company to claim an approach from Manchester United over the possibility of replacing AIG on the club's shirts.

United's £56.5m agreement with failed American insurance giant AIG expires at the end of the 2009-10 season and the European champions are now actively seeking a lucrative new deal before the end of the year.

A Samsung spokesman said: "Manchester United has recently sent an official letter asking if it's possible to seal a new shirt sponsorship deal. Nothing has been decided yet. The club has approached other companies as well."

With AIG, who still owe a final payment of £14m to United, revealing earlier this year that they would not be renewing their agreement, the club have contacted a number of leading companies in an effort to clinch another huge shirt deal.

United, who sealed a sponsorship deal with Kumho Tyres during a trip to Seoul in 2006, enjoy immense popularity in South Korea thanks largely to midfielder Park Ji-Sung and they are due to return to Seoul this summer as part of their four-game Far East tour

If this is true, does that mean Chelskie will need a new shirt sponsor?

Manchester United tarnished by link with disgraced AIG

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...graced-AIG.html

By Jim White

There are several easy ways to compromise your safety in public.

You could carry a banner reading "I love Sir Fred" at next week's anti-capitalism demonstrations. You could drive one of those new £1,300 cars, the ones apparently fashioned from recycled tin cans, round the M25.

Or you could volunteer for traffic warden duty outside a theatre staging Top Gear Live.

But surely the most certain way to attract serious trouble on your person would be to wear a Manchester United shirt down any American main street.

This is not because the US has suddenly become a nation of Liverpool supporters. Rather, it is what is emblazoned on its front. Over there, AIG is considered the most inflammatory three letter phrase in the English language; to sport it in public would be a criminally provocative act.

So violent has reaction to the company become that AIG staff were this week advised not to wear any clothing carrying the corporate brand. Meanwhile, the chief executive Edward Liddy has suggested that the name is now "so wounded and disgraced" the only way forward is to change it.

In short, it means that if the Glazer family hope to reduce some of their gargantuan borrowings by flogging a few shirts in the States, then they had better get busy with the scissors.

The worldwide credit crisis has changed collective attitudes to several sporting sponsors. Northern Rock's support of Newcastle and RBS's relationship with the Six Nations have both been criticised now that – following government rescue – it is the taxpayer who is largely funding the process. But no backer can match United's corrosive association with AIG.

What made the company the very symbol of the crash in America was the manner in which, immediately on receipt of government bail-out money, the directors divvied it up as bonuses for the very sales people who had got the company – and the country – into a mess in the first place. Not even Ashley Cole could manufacture such a wretched PR blunder.

Now, sponsoring United is seen as further evidence of corporate fecklessness. Ann Kirkpatrick, the Arizona Democrat, is hoping to raise a bill to "make sure federal money allotted to AIG is not going as part of its sponsorship deal with Manchester United". It is not likely to receive much in the way of opposition.

Yet bizarrely, United seem intent on maintaining the relationship. Nobody at Old Trafford is prepared to comment on the issue, although leaks from within the club suggest it is prepared to stick with the arrangement as long as the company continues to pay up.

Since AIG means very little in this country (which always made the sponsorship deal seem odd) United may not yet have felt the backlash. But in the new footballing territories of the world, the ones their vast debt insists they must exploit, the damage is growing; they are being increasingly tarnished by association.

Perhaps the best way to recover their good name would be for the club to cancel their relationship with AIG and instead announce a deal to wear, at no cost whatsoever, the letters HEP on their kit. This stands for the Housing Emergency Project, America's biggest homeless charity and the people working hardest to help those most compromised by AIG's business: the poor saps conned into subprime mortgages.

But this being a club whose finances are horribly in hock to the now discredited model of unsustainable debt, don't hold your breath. For United, money is what counts. And that of the American taxpayer is as good as any.

Jose: There's no saying no to United

While Jose Mourinho admits he would not be able to turn down the Manchester United job, the former Chelsea manager does not expect a vacancy to arrive at the end of next season, despite recent suggestions to the contrary.

Mourinho has emerged as a possible successor to the evergreen Sir Alex Ferguson in recent months, particularly in the build-up to the Champions League tie between Inter and United, and has fielded recurring questions about the possibility of taking over from the Scot and leaving Italy for Old Trafford.

Speculation has only been heightened by Sir Alex’s son, Darren, who stated earlier in the week that his father would only complete one further season at Old Trafford.

The issue of Ferguson’s successor is again in the spotlight and, should he be offered the job, then Mourinho has left United in no doubt as to his likely reply.

However, the Portuguese recently tipped Ferguson to manage at the top level for a further 20 years and is not entertaining any thoughts of stepping into his shoes at present.

"Which is the manager that says no? Nobody can say no,” Mourinho told ESPN.

"Manchester United belongs to a small group of clubs from around the world where nobody can say no. But first of all I don't believe in 2010 he is leaving - I don't believe.

"I think year after year he is the same, he's exactly the same person; healthy, happy... so I don't see a reason for him to quit.

"And in a very fair way, I hope he still goes, I hope he still goes on, because he's good."

ok guys, i know its related, but i think at some point there was an agreement that we leave politics out of the footie forum

i know this is economics...and sponsors related but we can see where its leading

lets not go there, shall we?

:o

What a great goal from young Macheda !

I read a comment that Man Utd fans were watching the game through splayed fingers towards the end (after Fergie had sent on Macheda & Wellbeck) - that just about summed up my emotions, but when you follow United you know they'll always keep playing attacking football - even when the defence are being out played.

PS An interesting observation by StevieH - especially as the Red Devils got the winner at the same point of time as what the Scousers did acainst Fulham......... :o

Man Utd reminded me of us yesterday, well under strength with the Kids ( well, not English Kids but Kids none the less :D ) getting the points... :o

Thought Villa contributed to a superb Game of Football for the neutral...

Massive massive result, just what the doctor ordered! In a few weeks time many will look back to this game.

Is it just me, but does that kid kinda remind you of a young totti? What poise for a 17 year old. 4 goals in last two games.

Well done son, well done!

Massive massive result, just what the doctor ordered! In a few weeks time many will look back to this game.

Is it just me, but does that kid kinda remind you of a young totti? What poise for a 17 year old. 4 goals in last two games.

I thought the last Game you lost 2-0 at Fulham ??

He did impress me though, even before the Goal, & the Goal itself was a <deleted> exceptional turn & finish..

You're right, Jimbo, this is the Game that people would look back on, much like Sheff Weds ( Bruce ) all those Years back..

fair play to machedo, he looks like a united player through and through. he was only on half an hour and i saw at least one crap dive, two moans at the referee and one petulant instance when he looked like he was going to start crying. a true united thoroughbred.

fair play to machedo, he looks like a united player through and through. he was only on half an hour and i saw at least one crap dive, two moans at the referee and one petulant instance when he looked like he was going to start crying. a true united thoroughbred.

Ms, he scored three the other day in a reserve match, same kind of skill but not nearly as important for sure.

Stevie, instead of smart ass remarks, I suggest you concentrate on chelsea, who, unlike u, cruised to a win and were able to rest key players in the 2nd half.

Ms, he scored three the other day in a reserve match, same kind of skill but not nearly as important for sure.

Stevie, instead of smart ass remarks, I suggest you concentrate on chelsea, who, unlike u, cruised to a win and were able to rest key players in the 2nd half.

james, it was just reassuring to see the proud traditions of united kept up by a 17 year old italian arriviste.

After I commented on a list of top Liverpool players I got to thinking about Manchester United's list.

It's far too difficult to do as we seem to have the longest list of greats that ever graced a football pitch It is far too difficult a task and there wouldn't be enough space in the footy forum to include them all............... :o . :D . :D

his touch for his third goal against the newcastle reserves was phenomenal

kiko you legend!!!

I thought the same thing, a Totti look a like. Have watched him for a couple of years making his way through the youth and reserve teams,thought he was one for the future but not this quickly. In his favour is that he is very well developed physically and not one to be pushed around. Tempermentally he is right up there with Rooney which could be a problem.How Lazio must be spewing as it was very contentious that he left Italy.Man U scouted him early on and the deal was done very quickly. Couple of other quick points. Thought Fletcher and Tevez were magnificent throwing themselves into every tackle especially Tevez who hads been around the world. Can't say the same for Nani ,expect him to be off loaded in the summer. Seems reluctant to get stuck in and fight for the ball and thats one thing Ferguson does not like.

Finally who is the last Italian born player to play for United discounting Guisseppe Rossi who was ,I believe ,born in the US to Italian parents ? Anybody know ?

I thought the same thing, a Totti look a like. Have watched him for a couple of years making his way through the youth and reserve teams,thought he was one for the future but not this quickly. In his favour is that he is very well developed physically and not one to be pushed around. Tempermentally he is right up there with Rooney which could be a problem.How Lazio must be spewing as it was very contentious that he left Italy.Man U scouted him early on and the deal was done very quickly. Couple of other quick points. Thought Fletcher and Tevez were magnificent throwing themselves into every tackle especially Tevez who hads been around the world. Can't say the same for Nani ,expect him to be off loaded in the summer. Seems reluctant to get stuck in and fight for the ball and thats one thing Ferguson does not like.

Finally who is the last Italian born player to play for United discounting Guisseppe Rossi who was ,I believe ,born in the US to Italian parents ? Anybody know ?

if you want to watch his 3 goals against N'Castle reserves...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/andyhooper/bl...an_utd_reserves

massimo taibi?

I think it was the embarrassment called Massimo Taibi :o

Remember the shot he let in against Southampton.............. :D

Fergie should have realised what he was like when he started wearing those skin tight tracksuit bottoms.

How long did he last ? A month was it..

Edited by LeungKen

we'd hit the bloody woodwork 5 times and absolutely dominated ken. if villa hadn't bottled that yesterday you lot could and probably have come away with no points, never mind three.

You might have a point Stevie. The victory was in part thanks to a bit of a capitulation. But that said, it still required a bit of genius to make them pay. If you want to call that lucky then so be it. No different though from what Liverpool have done many times this season. You have been the come-back kings, and on most of the occasions when you have brilliantly fought back, it's also been thanks in no small part to some negative defensive play from the opposition - or if you like, "bottling it".

What goes around, comes around.

Whether it was the excitement or the coloured spectacles i'm not sure, but i didn't see much of all that negative stuff Stevie.

What i saw was a dogged determination to really get stuck in and fight (a la Rooney) - and oh yes, a little bit of pure class to make the space and curl it in (a la Torres) :o .

Happy days are back again!

we'd hit the bloody woodwork 5 times and absolutely dominated ken. if villa hadn't bottled that yesterday you lot could and probably have come away with no points, never mind three.

You might have a point Stevie. The victory was in part thanks to a bit of a capitulation. But that said, it still required a bit of genius to make them pay. If you want to call that lucky then so be it. No different though from what Liverpool have done many times this season. You have been the come-back kings, and on most of the occasions when you have brilliantly fought back, it's also been thanks in no small part to some negative defensive play from the opposition - or if you like, "bottling it".

What goes around, comes around.

well said rix, even the most one-eyed lp fan will have just sit at his keyboard and say yep - hard to argue with that. :o

Hope the young italian from Rome will come back home to be a new Totti.

Hope the young italian from Rome will come back home to be a new Totti.

Let you know after tonights game and maybe a couple more, but as of right now you can have him in 10 years. :o

Every transfer appears to be a painful saga these days..unless you're Chelsea with attendant millions of course.. and even they can't wrap up the projected Cole transfer.

Now this from the Times:

[3] Times on Hargreaves

---------------------------------

Posted Saturday, August 19, 2006 by ed:

MANCHESTER United’s hopes of signing Owen Hargreaves suffered a serious setback yesterday with a robust “hands-off” warning from Bayern Munich, but Sir Alex Ferguson and his board remain confident that the England midfield player will arrive at Old Trafford next week in a £17 million deal. In a statement on their official website, Bayern claimed to have “unequivocally” informed United that Hargreaves is not for sale, adding that the England midfield player must see out the remaining four years of his contract. The German club also said that there will be “no future talks” on the matter, but, despite an apparent breakdown in direct communication between the clubs, United continued to investigate the matter yesterday through a third party.

Nor, it emerged last night from within Old Trafford, has Ferguson given up on signing a centre forward before the transfer window closes on August 31. Fernando Torres, of Atlético Madrid, remains a target, although many obstacles will have to be overcome for that deal to take place.

Hargreaves, at least, is within United’s sights and, contrary to Bayern’s statement, a meeting had been planned between officials from the clubs in Munich on Sunday. It is uncertain whether that meeting will take place, but, having been encouraged to believe on Thursday that an agreement was close on a £17 million fee, United believe that the deal has developed an almost unstoppable momentum, with Hargreaves having made clear his desire to move to Manchester.

Bayern’s statement yesterday was echoed by strong words from Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the chairman, and Uli Hönness, the general manager. “We are not even prepared to talk to any other club about releasing Hargreaves early from his contract,” Rummenigge said. Hönness said that “you can offer €50 million (about £34 million) for Owen Hargreaves but we will not let him go”.

Ferguson, whose team take on Fulham at Old Trafford in their opening Barclays Premiership match tomorrow lunchtime, had sounded cautiously optimistic about his chances of signing the 25-year-old. “We have been trying to negotiate with Bayern Munich for a while now and the boy has said he would like to join United and we’d like to have him here,” the manager said.“It is in [chief executive] David Gill’s capable hands. We are dealing with a big club in Bayern Munich, but hopefully we can get something done.”

Ferguson, having shown no more than passing interest in Hargreaves in the past, said that he had been attracted by the player’s newfound “maturity” over the past 12 months, when he has emerged as a fundamental player for England as well as Bayern. For now, though, with Michael Carrick injured and Tomasz Kuszczak merely a reserve goalkeeper, United will take on Fulham without any new faces in their starting line-up.

It is a situation that is troubling many supporters — particularly given the sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid — but apparently not Ferguson. “I would have liked to have got a striker in, but there’s no one out there,” the manager said.

The one contender is Torres, the subject of a firm inquiry three weeks ago, but completing that transfer seems improbable before the transfer window closes.

Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes will serve a three-game suspension after tomorrow’s game, a situation that has angered United after the FA rejected appeals against their red cards in the LG Amsterdam Tournament. “I’m not so much disappointed as surprised,” Ferguson said. “The FA told us nothing was going to happen to Wayne. I do not know what has happened in between them telling us that and reaching the decision.”

Oh, oh.. I almost expired when I read this..

” the manager said.“It is in [chief executive] David Gill’s capable hands. We are dealing with a big club in Bayern Munich, but hopefully we can get something done.”

I'm getting worried now. Our squad clearly needs strengthening but somehow we appear unable to complete the big deals .. Carrick took an eternity and even the Kuszczak deal was protracted.

With only days left in the transfer window we may well end up with the players we've got.. :wai:

On another note, the squad for Fulham on Sunday....

Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Ronaldo, Park Ji-Sung, Scholes, Giggs, Saha, Rooney, Rossi, Evans, Evra, Richardson, Fletcher.

Heinze still injured apparently, but I think we'll beat Fulham, especially at Old Trafford.. All I can say is.. bring on the new season! Happy days.. :P

:D:D:o:D:D