Anyone Have The New Sym Evo? A Review Please?

phl

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how much is 400 sym? anyone knows?

it looks good man.

Somebody writes 57K bath more for the 400 which sounds like a good deal. If I was on the market for a good maxi scooter that would be it, this thing can likely go 130 km/h easily on the long stretches and you don't really need more here. It might even give a CBR250 a run for the money and red ears for the CBR owner, he-he.

For City riding it is too big man, my PCX do that very nicely thank you very much.

Each to his own. But a smaller bike is much more relaxing to cruise through traffic on. A bike such as an Elegance is in its element here. To my mind if I traded for anything bigger, I'd want to go back to the Elegance simply because it does everything so well. I could go with a PCX. But nothing bigger than that. Just put Michelon Pilot Sportys on the Elegance--one size bigger than stock so I am getting a slightly cushier ride now. 80-90's on the front and 90-100's on the back. Went to Khao Khew Zoo today in Si Racha. Took three other people. Perfect--in a car. I think on a run like that on anything that has just two wheels is like throwing the Christians to the lions.

The 400 is rather interesting. It would seem to be a bit of a niche product much the same way a Goldwing or BMW K1800 is though. While technically you could ride it in the city it wouldn't be much for fun the nip and go. It also could be ridden on the fabulous mountain roads, but your speed would have to be kept lower since you get no engine braking.

But get it on the open road and you'd be in heaven. Cruising along at supra-legal speeds in what amounts to a Lazy-boy is sure to tick some peoples boxes.

Also, on Richard's forum somebody posted some email traffic they had with Sym Thailand and was quoted a 215K THB price.

Edited by dave_boo

The official (suggested retail price) seems to be 209,000 THB for the Sym GTS MAX 400i. Suggested retail price for the Sym GTS 300i EVO is 150,000 THB.

Anybody who compares the Sym GTS 300i EVO maxi-scooter performance with a 125, 135 or 150cc scooter is a fool. Sym is very well known for its performance, ceramic plating cylinders, number one fuel injection systems, and very high engine technolgy.

Sym is a technology and multual shareholder partner with BRP, which is basically Can-Am, Rotax (makes some engines for BMW). They also manufacture Hyundai cars in Taiwan and have a cross patent agreement with them. And they are working together with Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, and Kinetic Motor Company from India holds a good amount of shares in the company.

So I would not call it a Chinese company, also with fuel injection systems that Sym related companies produce and are used with the GTS 300i EVO and GTS 400i MAX you should not see the PGM-FI (fuel-injection) system used on the Honda PCX scooter or the carburator on the Yamaha Elegance as something similar.

Sorry to say be the leaders in fuel-injection (for now) are still German companies, as used on the Sym scooters...

Edited by Richard-BKK

The official (suggested retail price) seems to be 209,000 THB for the Sym GTS MAX 400i. Suggested retail price for the Sym GTS 300i EVO is 150,000 THB.

Anybody who compares the Sym GTS 300i EVO maxi-scooter performance with a 125, 135 or 150cc scooter is a fool. Sym is very well known for its performance, ceramic plating cylinders, number one fuel injection systems, and very high engine technolgy.

Sym is a technology and multual shareholder partner with BRP, which is basically Can-Am, Rotax (makes some engines for BMW). They also manufacture Hyundai cars in Taiwan and have a cross patent agreement with them. And they are working together with Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, and Kinetic Motor Company from India holds a good amount of shares in the company.

So I would not call it a Chinese company, also with fuel injection systems that Sym related companies produce and are used with the GTS 300i EVO and GTS 400i MAX you should not see the PGM-FI (fuel-injection) system used on the Honda PCX scooter or the carburator on the Yamaha Elegance as something similar.

Sorry to say be the leaders in fuel-injection (for now) are still German companies, as used on the Sym scooters...

That all sounds pretty cool BUT Very high engine technolgy means that not many in Thailand can fix if it goes wrong unless the dealers mechanics get special training/tools. I am sure they are reliable but things can still brake down.

That all sounds pretty cool BUT Very high engine technolgy means that not many in Thailand can fix if it goes wrong unless the dealers mechanics get special training/tools. I am sure they are reliable but things can still brake down.

Tell me any Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer/service center which can fix a fuel injection system other than replacing the parts that fail?

Tell me any Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer/service center which can fix a fuel injection system other than replacing the parts that fail?

clap2.gif , some have difficulty replacing a wheel

Not many I admit, but I am sure they have factory guys they can/will send out in rate complicated cases or ship the bike to the factory for faultfinding.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Bosch main (fuel system related) manufacturing is located in Thailand, so guess the link to replacement parts is not that long....

Well that's good to hear now I can sleep relaxed tonight. wink.png

209.000 thb is too much for my 'let's also have a scooter' dreams.

And although pcx is very very reasonable, i do not like the design and it is very popular. I do not like popular stereotype bikes. - we do not need to go for the most with our minds all the time. Let's give a chance to your emotions sometime

150.000 thb for sym 300 is very reasonable.

What are the differences between 300 and 400? In terms of performance and goods?

I can now give a little "horses mouth" information. The 300i is 152,500 baht. It is actually a 250 bored out to 263cc and is actually a little wider than the 400 which has similar styling cues to the PCX and is only 4" wider.

The 400i is 209,000 baht (both prices from Mityon Pattaya). I went to the one on Pattaya South and they would not give any discount and are really disinterested in selling farangs anything. SO I went to the one on Klang where there is a sales girl called Gip ( a tomboy for recognition purposes) who speaks decent English and actually cares about her customers. She finally got her boss to give me 1000 baht off and a decent helmet!!!

So yesterday I bought the 400i (399cc). First impressions are that it is long but, surprisingly, not wide (30"). Of course it is wider than any of the 125's but I usually drive either a very narrow Suzuki Step or a very wide Vulcan 900 which is just under 40" wide.

Leaving the garage I was surprised at just how agile it was. I was able to follow the 125's through the traffic with ease. Sure there will be gaps that I cant but, compared to a motorbike, the turning circle is excellent.

The suspension is a little harder than I would like but it is very easily adjustable ( a simple twist) which I will do before I take it for a decent run today. Because the gears are automatic it drives at optimum revs so there is little engine noise change and it gets fast quickly and without you realising so I am going to have to keep an eye on the speedo a bit more than I am used to. Having the windshield means that my helmet doesn't whistle either!!!! The storage space took a full size helmet and my bag and there are lots of lockable storage compartments all over the bike. It was nice at the petrol station not having to get off the bike to access the fuel cap.

The instrument panel is gorgeous and the feel of everything is one of solidity. In all it is a beautiful bike. I have only done 13km through Pattaya traffic which was as easy as doing it on my Step but today I intend to give it some throttle and try the back roads. So a further report will be forthcoming in a day or two.

Bosch main (fuel system related) manufacturing is located in Thailand, so guess the link to replacement parts is not that long....

Well that's good to hear now I can sleep relaxed tonight. wink.png

209.000 thb is too much for my 'let's also have a scooter' dreams.

And although pcx is very very reasonable, i do not like the design and it is very popular. I do not like popular stereotype bikes. - we do not need to go for the most with our minds all the time. Let's give a chance to your emotions sometime

150.000 thb for sym 300 is very reasonable.

What are the differences between 300 and 400? In terms of performance and goods?

Well theres 134cc difference in size. Best to go look at each side by side if possible.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I can now give a little "horses mouth" information. The 300i is 152,500 baht. It is actually a 250 bored out to 263cc and is actually a little wider than the 400 which has similar styling cues to the PCX and is only 4" wider.

The 400i is 209,000 baht (both prices from Mityon Pattaya). I went to the one on Pattaya South and they would not give any discount and are really disinterested in selling farangs anything. SO I went to the one on Klang where there is a sales girl called Gip ( a tomboy for recognition purposes) who speaks decent English and actually cares about her customers. She finally got her boss to give me 1000 baht off and a decent helmet!!!

So yesterday I bought the 400i (399cc). First impressions are that it is long but, surprisingly, not wide (30"). Of course it is wider than any of the 125's but I usually drive either a very narrow Suzuki Step or a very wide Vulcan 900 which is just under 40" wide.

Leaving the garage I was surprised at just how agile it was. I was able to follow the 125's through the traffic with ease. Sure there will be gaps that I cant but, compared to a motorbike, the turning circle is excellent.

The suspension is a little harder than I would like but it is very easily adjustable ( a simple twist) which I will do before I take it for a decent run today. Because the gears are automatic it drives at optimum revs so there is little engine noise change and it gets fast quickly and without you realising so I am going to have to keep an eye on the speedo a bit more than I am used to. Having the windshield means that my helmet doesn't whistle either!!!! The storage space took a full size helmet and my bag and there are lots of lockable storage compartments all over the bike. It was nice at the petrol station not having to get off the bike to access the fuel cap.

The instrument panel is gorgeous and the feel of everything is one of solidity. In all it is a beautiful bike. I have only done 13km through Pattaya traffic which was as easy as doing it on my Step but today I intend to give it some throttle and try the back roads. So a further report will be forthcoming in a day or two.

Once you have put some km's on it I would like to know what its like cruising at say 120-130kmh and the top speed. Have fun:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

sgunn, thanks for the info. It looks like it is a good bike from what you say.

I would like to know more also about high speed cruising around 120 - 140 km. Like is it stable, how about ride comfort etc. is there any more power for flexibility in those speeds for hard conditions?

Please enlighten us more man.

and anyone knows 300 to enlighten us so we can do a comparison.

Is there a sym dealer in Bangkok?

Thanks.

Thanks for the review and congratulations on the new bike

You are so spot on about the service at the Pattaya Tai branch, sadly they always been the same, no matter how many times you buy from them

A bit more info. Since these are new bikes the mechanics have not got to grips with them. After reading the manual last night I had a good look around the bike and realised they had not put coolant in the bike!!!!! Obviously the boys at Pattaya Tai had never heard of a water cooled bike.

So I took it back to the service department and watched incredously as they tried to fill it through the viewing bottle. When I mentioned this they phoned Gip the sales girl who told me that they would need the bike all day. So I went over took the battery cover off and showed them where to fill it!!! Job done in 2 minutes but the three mechanics lost face!!!! Idiots.

So I had a little trip down sukumvit and was doing 120 before I realised it and there was loads more throttle to go. At 120 she was stable comfortable and nowhere near working hard so that augers well. I need a good 200km trip to really know though. Watch this space.

^

This is not a nice thing to give you a brand new bike without coolant in it! I would try to do the service myself. There are service manuals out there i guess. Just let them change the oil and put a stamp in the service book and do the rest by myself. Or try to find a better service station. If they do not check the coolant then i would not trust them at all!

Does anybody know if the SYM bikes come to Thailand complete assembled? Or are they assembled in Thailand? From what pieces? Best would be to bring them completely assembled to Thailand, so they would just need a basic check and would be ready to go.

I hope SYM will be able to build up a reliable network of dealers and service stations. SYM has just started in Thailand. Its all up to the import company (M-Bike?) to take care of this i guess. But if they want to be successful on the long run they should take it seriously.

Edited by wantan

A bit more info. Since these are new bikes the mechanics have not got to grips with them. After reading the manual last night I had a good look around the bike and realised they had not put coolant in the bike!!!!! Obviously the boys at Pattaya Tai had never heard of a water cooled bike.

So I took it back to the service department and watched incredously as they tried to fill it through the viewing bottle. When I mentioned this they phoned Gip the sales girl who told me that they would need the bike all day. So I went over took the battery cover off and showed them where to fill it!!! Job done in 2 minutes but the three mechanics lost face!!!! Idiots.

So I had a little trip down sukumvit and was doing 120 before I realised it and there was loads more throttle to go. At 120 she was stable comfortable and nowhere near working hard so that augers well. I need a good 200km trip to really know though. Watch this space.

Which shop did you bought it from?

What a perfect scooter, I might want one instead of the new Honda PCX 150cc (witch I like as well). Only problem is that the SYM Maxsym 400i cost about 140000 bath more then the Honda PCX 150cc that sells for about 82000 bath ;-(

But saying that, its sure is a nice looking scooter. Anyone who can post a map (google map) of the shop in Pattaya klang, since I dont live in Pattaya?

Found a nice video of the scooter:

Sgunn65 I hope no damage is done to your new bike, it is completely unacceptable they do a thing like that, if it was my bike I would demand a new bike or raise hell with Taiwan head office, so no extra training for the dealer mechanics for a complicated Sym, eh Richard-BKK.

I will stick to my PCX150, not planning of any touring anyway.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Sgunn65 I hope no damage is done to your new bike, it is completely unacceptable they do a thing like that, if it was my bike I would demand a new bike or raise hell with Taiwan head office, so no extra training for the dealer mechanics for a complicated Sym, eh Richard-BKK.

I will stick to my PCX150, not planning of any touring anyway.

If would start a forum thread about stuff some Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or etc… dealers forget (or do wrong) when they handover the scooter/motorcycle to the customers we probably would need hours on a daily base to read them all…

Also on most combustion engines riding without cooling-liquid in the cooling system would be very destructive, but not forget that the Sym GTS 400i MAXSYM has ceramic cylinder coating which is probably why the engine did not overheated. Still it’s lucky that the new owner noticed the missing cooling-liquid in time…

Edited by Richard-BKK

If would start a forum thread about stuff some Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or etc… dealers forget (or do wrong) when they handover the scooter/motorcycle to the customers we probably would need hours on a daily base to read them all…

But it is SYM who is new in the market and who has to build up reputation in Thailand. If something like this happens with a Honda people say its the mechanics fault. If it happens with a SYM people say its a shitty brand with shitty service and you should "Better buy a Honda". Thats the way it goes.

Edited by wantan

Also on most combustion engines riding without cooling-liquid in the cooling system would be very destructive, but not forget that the Sym GTS 400i MAXSYM has ceramic cylinder coating which is probably why the engine did not overheated. Still it’s lucky that the new owner noticed the missing cooling-liquid in time…

I don't disagree regarding the dealers, for some reason they seems to have little or no education at all and are not following the 4000km service checks to be done but basically only change the oil. When my Honda car goes to the dealer for 10.000 km service/check I know they really check the car, once they phoned me during a service and told me that it was necessary to change the rear disk pads.

I fell very sorry for sgunn65, sending him on his way on a brand new +200k bath scooter without cooling liquid in the system, water pump damage?? Or maybe something else is damaged that will not show up now but later? How do you know the engine did not overheat? If there is a hot water warning on the bike it would not have gone off as it wasn't submerged in water but air and thus can't register any overheating.

This is enough to put me off buying a Sym scooter despite its nice looks and good performance. I doubt that even the chief mechanic (if they have one) bother reading the service manual.

At least with the Thai made scooters they service so many of them that one must assume they know those models fairly well.