'Politics Is The Ruin Of Our School System': Thai Academic

webfact

The education system has been a failure for quite some time when they started accepting money to admit rich parents students vs those who earned admission into the best schools and universities. Now look what they do with they're time...go to the mall after school and stand around the cell phone stores, read comics, watch cartoons on tv, and update their facebook pages all day. Great job Minister of Education! The administers of these schools that accept bribe money to accept "certain" students should be hung by the balls. Patheticcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

I don't know why people wait around for the government. Clearly they aren't going to do anything positive in regards to education. But we as a society can. Just do it. Change the system. Stop whining about it.

The Irony is that the incompetent officials he talks about are all products of the Education system.

I thought they went to school at Oxford.

If you are referring to Abhisit he went to school at Eton and went to University in Oxford. Nothing wrong with his education.

The Irony is that the incompetent officials he talks about are all products of the Education system.

If you are referring to Abhisit he went to school at Eton and went to University in Oxford. Nothing wrong with his education.

Some people think a doctorate from "Kut and Stick" University is better.

• Like 1

The education system has been a failure for quite some time when they started accepting money to admit rich parents students vs those who earned admission into the best schools and universities. Now look what they do with they're time...go to the mall after school and stand around the cell phone stores, read comics, watch cartoons on tv, and update their facebook pages all day. Great job Minister of Education! The administers of these schools that accept bribe money to accept "certain" students should be hung by the balls. Patheticcoffee1.gif

i wish i could help them by that "ball job" ! And not only those administrs, but also all that other scum bag that lives from.... bribe money! So that means 90% of those so called "officials", police etc.... whistling.gif

Some people think a doctorate from "Kut and Stick" University is better.

Yingluck, where did she studied... in Fantasy Island Highschool perhaps ?? She doesn't even reach the knees of Abhisit ! i don't say he's a good politician (there are none in Thailand), but he's ooh so much wiser than that puppet on a string ! She belongs in a soap serie... (and not only she...).

• Like 1

And he's a Geordie as he was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. You can't get more well rounded than that.

• Like 2

The main problems are social discipline and overfilled classrooms. If you are only ONE teacher with 70 students who can't speak Thai,... Bye Bye!!!! How can you watch over an overcrowded classroom. Technically you'd be too busy in disciplining instead of what you actually planned to do.

The Thai education ministries still take it for granted that if you put in a Farang or anyone who can speak good English, that it works like a Magic Pill Wonders. We all know that's not how it actually works, but there's more to it than teaching academic stuff, and those things are encouraging social behavior and respect from one another... and an opportunity for people to communicate instead of giving orders to them.

Homework is also an outdated system, which takes away too much time and makes us physically weak, by sitting on our lazy a%%%%es all day and learning stuff that actually just serves one purpose:

"To pass a test!!!"

The problems are all pointed out correctly and we all know them. However, "throw the bums out" is not a realistic solution. A do-able--though highly unlikely--solution is for us farangs and for the Thai government to forget our pride and admit that the solution is on the ASEAN doorstep: Hire qualified, certified, well-trained Filipinos, who have all studied and used English in their educational system (and beyond, and please keep the bar girl cracks out of this) since they were in kindergarten. BUT: You must be willing to pay them the same as the "native speakers" get, a general starting salary of 30,000 Bhat per month. Right now they are hired on a 2nd tier-2nd class citizen system that just simply isn't enough for them to support their families and live here simultaneously. The Filipinos certainly know more than the majority of the native Thai "English" teachers who monitor the classrooms. I have lived and worked in both the Philippines and Thailand for many years, and though the Filipinos don't have the "queen's English," as so many farang administrators want, the only solution is to get rid of the backpacker crowd, whose only qualifications are their nationality, and bring in the professionals for the same money. You know what this requires? Nothing more than the cessation of pride and vanity on the part of both the entrenched farangs and the Thais.

I have also taught in the Middle East for many years, where professional Filipino teachers, of both genders, are subject to constant sexual and professional harassment. They do their jobs well, they work hard, and they don't complain about the treatment. Why? Because they are given airfare and the equivalent of about 30,000 Bhat per month to work there. And let me tell you from much personal experience--they would much, much rather be in Southeast Asia than in the Middle East.

So: Flame away. But if you do, leave the vanity of your skin color behind.

I have no real knowledge of education in Thailand but the OP's mention of rapidly changing ministers sounds like a recipe for failure and I've no doubt most of his opinions are valid. I think the polls that show how many Thais think corruption is OK also show something is wrong in the upbringing of young Thais. Of course this is a responsibility of parents and teachers.

As for your own views I don't have enough knowledge to know if you're correct but just from the manner in which it's written I'm guessing it has some substance.

You mention about "bar girl cracks" (not sure if that was an intentional pun). I have heard it mentioned before that often bar girls have quite good English skills and maybe other languages as well as they have to develop these skills in order to engage in conversation to get business. their livelihoods depend on it. Quite often people aren't taught English as it's spoken and unless it is perfected by being in conversation with native English speakers it can sound not quite right.

As one small example last night I helped my Thai gf to write out English words in phonetic Thai so her 17 year old daughter could pronounce them. She's ghood at maths but struggles with language in general. My gf speaks reasonable Thai by the way. One of the words was "adjure". I had to look it up as I can't remember ever hearing it before. If she's being taught by someone who thinks adjure is a word she will need in everyday conversation then it's no wonder she has trouble.

Anyway a good first post.

it's not really an education system at all, but more a knowledge system. The goal of the "school" system is to get students to pass a test.

There is really nothing in it that relates to education, which means actually using the knowledge gained.

If there is an interest in something, then that person will do what it takes to learn about that subject, for example why bar girls speak English better than most Thai teachers.

The kids today have a full time job, called school, it doesn't pay anything, all they hear is they are not doing well enough, and when it's all said and done, some rich kid takes their spot at the university because their parents paid for it. Not a lot of incentive, which should be the motivating factor. ermm.gif

• Like 1

Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Education Dean, Prof Sirichai Kanjanawasee should set an example and lead the way. He has absolute control over the teaching methods, admission and academic standards of his faculty. Perhaps he should focus on improving the aforementioned items so that the quality and competency of his university's graduates improves.

It is rather arrogant of this chap to demand that there be no involvement from the government. What part of the concept of oversight did he not understand? The education ministry officials have all sorts of diplomas including doctorates awarded by Thai universities. If he believes that the abilities of said officials is poor, then maybe he should have a word with the universities, including his own, that educated and trained them. There are some excellent programs at other asian universities that train people in educational administration. I suggest that the dean consider undertaking some continuing education.

• Like 2

The problems are all pointed out correctly and we all know them. However, "throw the bums out" is not a realistic solution. A do-able--though highly unlikely--solution is for us farangs and for the Thai government to forget our pride and admit that the solution is on the ASEAN doorstep: Hire qualified, certified, well-trained Filipinos, who have all studied and used English in their educational system (and beyond, and please keep the bar girl cracks out of this) since they were in kindergarten. BUT: You must be willing to pay them the same as the "native speakers" get, a general starting salary of 30,000 Bhat per month. Right now they are hired on a 2nd tier-2nd class citizen system that just simply isn't enough for them to support their families and live here simultaneously. The Filipinos certainly know more than the majority of the native Thai "English" teachers who monitor the classrooms. I have lived and worked in both the Philippines and Thailand for many years, and though the Filipinos don't have the "queen's English," as so many farang administrators want, the only solution is to get rid of the backpacker crowd, whose only qualifications are their nationality, and bring in the professionals for the same money. You know what this requires? Nothing more than the cessation of pride and vanity on the part of both the entrenched farangs and the Thais.

I have also taught in the Middle East for many years, where professional Filipino teachers, of both genders, are subject to constant sexual and professional harassment. They do their jobs well, they work hard, and they don't complain about the treatment. Why? Because they are given airfare and the equivalent of about 30,000 Bhat per month to work there. And let me tell you from much personal experience--they would much, much rather be in Southeast Asia than in the Middle East.

So: Flame away. But if you do, leave the vanity of your skin color behind.

You are very right. But you should include Indian, Malaysian and Sri Lankans who use English as thier own language. Most of them speak far better English than many of the English and Australian teachers here whose provincial accents are hard for Thais to understand.

• Like 1

Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Education Dean, Prof Sirichai Kanjanawasee should set an example and lead the way. He has absolute control over the teaching methods, admission and academic standards of his faculty. Perhaps he should focus on improving the aforementioned items so that the quality and competency of his university's graduates improves.

It is rather arrogant of this chap to demand that there be no involvement from the government. What part of the concept of oversight did he not understand? The education ministry officials have all sorts of diplomas including doctorates awarded by Thai universities. If he believes that the abilities of said officials is poor, then maybe he should have a word with the universities, including his own, that educated and trained them. There are some excellent programs at other asian universities that train people in educational administration. I suggest that the dean consider undertaking some continuing education.

Pfff what a useless reply. This article mainly focuses on the problems concerning basic education. You, instead, take the opportunity to lash out at a university dean.

It's seems difficult for you to accept that some people do have something useful to say.

It's rather arrogant of you to say that Prof Sirichai Kanjanawasee needs more education. He makes a valid point concerning the problems the current system has. Things need to change (and he cannot do it alone).

Edited by Nickymaster

perhaps, a season of finger & foot pointing is now over. given this info age, no more excuses. slept 1,000+ nites under a mosq net in many parts of Thailand over 25 yrs. just thunk & dreemed about Sesame Street or Mr. Roger's Nh etc.. 24/7 FREE on govt tv/http whatever ~ vio*la