Any Tv Experts Out There

sysardman

I don't watch TV myself but the missus likes the local Thai stations - the soaps as usual. Anyway she constantly complains about having to keeps moving the indoor aerial to get a 'good' picture. Having helped a friend in the UK install aerials for the digital switchover I have an idea about fitting an outdoor aerial here. The problem I see, when I did a bit of research, was that the Thai stations here transmit from 2 transmitters a few kilometers apart. The solution I was thinking of was two aerials with a combiner box, each aerial pointing at one transmitter. Having looked in a few shops (Amorn) and in the markets all the offerings are crappy looking aerials and ready made leads (moulded plugs). Does anyboy know a good TV accessories shop that sells better quality aerials, cable by the metre, combiner and co-ax plugs.

So you've waited for an answer for a full week, instead of just going to a TV/electronics shop and buying an antenna to put on your roof? Nothing fancy is needed, it's not rocket science; just fix the metal thing outside and bring the cable indoors; where they're sold they can usually source someone to install it too.

Or do like everyone else and get a dish & dreambox.

Often you dont even need a traditional metal aerial, I find that if you have a length of coax or at worst just any old electrical wire, strip back some of the insulation shove it in the back of the tv and you can take the lead wherever suits. (ala Mr Bean)

Often you dont even need a traditional metal aerial, I find that if you have a length of coax or at worst just any old electrical wire, strip back some of the insulation shove it in the back of the tv and you can take the lead wherever suits. (ala Mr Bean)

thumbsup.gif

2414.jpg

Edited by uptheos

This is just too good to pass up.

You post on TV , looking for an expert , on TV. On TV there are almost 150.000 members and about all except 6 or 7 are experts in/on any and everything you wish to know or talk about.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

More seriously, if you know where Kasem Store is by Warrorot Mkt, just go north on the same street and just before you get to the traffic light and Lotus/Tesco Express there are a couple dish / antenna places on the right side.

good Luck

So you've waited for an answer for a full week, instead of just going to a TV/electronics shop and buying an antenna to put on your roof? Nothing fancy is needed, it's not rocket science; just fix the metal thing outside and bring the cable indoors; where they're sold they can usually source someone to install it too.

Or do like everyone else and get a dish & dreambox.

Well you waited a week to answer!!!! - I looked in the local shops and they only seem to have moulded plugs and crap aerials and no combiner box.

As I said there appears to be 2 transmitters serving Chiang Mai and if you line it up to one then the other pictures are rubbish - you end up moving the aerial all time when you change stations.

Not interested in a dish - all TV is crap so why pay for it when the missus is happy with the free stuff!!!

But do you get good pictures on every channel?

Just get a cheap dish & box, DTV or the like, only about 2k and you never have to worry again.

Many systems are not subscription.

Any more info on where to buy said system appreciated. As mentioned before I'm not really fussed about TV myself but was getting fed up with the missus nearly poking everyones eyes out when she swung the indoor aerial about (one of those stupid things that look like a space invader with 10 foot long antennae and a dial in the middle that does nothing)

This is just too good to pass up.

You post on TV , looking for an expert , on TV. On TV there are almost 150.000 members and about all except 6 or 7 are experts in/on any and everything you wish to know or talk about.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

More seriously, if you know where Kasem Store is by Warrorot Mkt, just go north on the same street and just before you get to the traffic light and Lotus/Tesco Express there are a couple dish / antenna places on the right side.

good Luck

Thanks for the info

For 3000B, I picked up a GMM box and satellite dish, installed just last week. Went to the shop in the morning, he came around and it was all up and running by 2pm. No monthly fee, 80 channels, the other half is happy and we've got Euro 2012 with English commentary.

The dish can run up to 4 boxes, so I may get something with some English channels for upstairs.

I got it sorted at a small shop on the 106 (big tree road) going towards Saraphi, after the 121 crossroads, a few hundred yards on the right. he's got a van parked outside, a few dishes attached to the shop and dishes and boxes stacked up inside. The same type of shop can be found on just about any major road in the country I'd imagine.

But do you get good pictures on every channel?

Ah well thats the beauty of my idea (or Mr Beans), if you stand in a different position you can get a clear picture on every channel.

Obviously if its the wife that wants to watch you will be doing the moving around until she says stop or back a bit. She will at least consider you a very useful husband, and thats always a good thing