No Rebroadcasting Signal For Truevisions: Gmm

Lite Beer

EURO 2012

No rebroadcasting signal for TrueVisions: GMM

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- It is final that TrueVisions subscribers would not get the Euro 2012 re-broadcasting signal, as Uefa resolved not to amend any part of the broadcasting contract.

GMM Grammy said at a press conference today that Uefa has just reacted to its quest for a change in the broadcasting contract, to cover TrueVisions clients.

GMM Grammy, as the broadcasting rights holder in Thailand, said that such request came too late as the tournament already begun.

TrueVisions subscribers’ TV screens have been blank since the tournament started on June 8.

National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission’s consumer protection committee yesterday urged the company to waive the monthly fee, to compensate the mishap. The NBTC from today also slaps fine of Bt20,000 per day on TrueVisions.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-13

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly this comes as no shock, isn't one of GMM TV partners on this rights deal a senior Pheu Thai official with football connections. In essence, the reply from UEFA makes sense if they don't have the facts. The broadcast of the programmes on free TV is what UEFA would be looking for. What GMM did not tell UEFA is that anyone who is anyone in Thailand does not access free TV via an antenna. They access through True. So GMM has scammed UEFA into believing that they have a good deal when this is not the case.

Free TV are also now in trouble because they have sold their TV packages to sponsors based on a ROI -this ROI is now completely screwed by not having the True customer base.

GMM have just shafted themselves big time. True can now go to the NBTC with the letter from UEFA and say -look not our problem.

True also have a legit response to their customers.

NBTC the morons that they are now cannot now force True into some ridiculous compensation package for a situation they are clearly not responsible for.

TIT

Edited by Hellhound66

Really? you needed to create a new log in just to write this, which department of True do you work for?

True had the option to buy the rights but did not do so, I would have thought someone there would have foresaw this problem and dealt with it, but they didn't. more proof that True don't give a shiny <deleted> about their customers.

The Department of Let's Get the Facts Straight. Sure True could have bought the rights offered by their competitor but at the price offered it made not one bit of sense.

Where else in the world can you watch every single EPL match on TV. Very few places. True are not that bad. And in Thailand there are so many other ways to get what you want TV wise.

It is still just a game.....everyone can read it on the next day in the newspaper.

Just a game to you maybe.

I have a question, do you ever watch movies or just read about them in a review later?

Well if you do watch them I suggest you take the pleasure you get and multiply it by a few million to get anywhere near the pleasure some of us derive from football, for me my club is a religion, my country a distant second but still a passion. i am sure I speak for people from all the countries represented here.

But well done you, you managed to increase your post count by one although it is pointless drivel and not needed in the thread.

• Like 2

Really? you needed to create a new log in just to write this, which department of True do you work for?

True had the option to buy the rights but did not do so, I would have thought someone there would have foresaw this problem and dealt with it, but they didn't. more proof that True don't give a shiny <deleted> about their customers.

The Department of Let's Get the Facts Straight. Sure True could have bought the rights offered by their competitor but at the price offered it made not one bit of sense.

Where else in the world can you watch every single EPL match on TV. Very few places. True are not that bad. And in Thailand there are so many other ways to get what you want TV wise.

Ah so because we can watch all premier league games we should just forgive them for this balls up? that is a service we pay for so it is not as though they are doing us a favour. rolleyes.gif

GMM thought about this early and did the right thing, true on the other hand didn't do what they are supposed to do, they assumed it will be ok, nobody thought to check with eufa, The usual head in the sand will see them through, or so they thought, and now it has bitten them on the arse. I am amazed that a business this size that deals with licencing issues every day could make a balls up like this.

• Like 2

Firstly this comes as no shock, isn't one of GMM TV partners on this rights deal a senior Pheu Thai official with football connections. In essence, the reply from UEFA makes sense if they don't have the facts. The broadcast of the programmes on free TV is what UEFA would be looking for. What GMM did not tell UEFA is that anyone who is anyone in Thailand does not access free TV via an antenna. They access through True. So GMM has scammed UEFA into believing that they have a good deal when this is not the case.

Free TV are also now in trouble because they have sold their TV packages to sponsors based on a ROI -this ROI is now completely screwed by not having the True customer base.

GMM have just shafted themselves big time. True can now go to the NBTC with the letter from UEFA and say -look not our problem.

NBTC the morons that they are now cannot now force True into some ridiculous compensation package for a situation they are clearly not responsible for.

TIT

I would think UEFA would like football to reach the ~20 million households across Thailand, rather than the ~2 million True subcribers who in your own words describe as "anyone who is anyone". I do not think UEFA are that shallow. I also do not believe that it would have made a difference in UEFA decision.

This whole issue is about purchasing the rights to air the matches. True decided not to fork out any money and hoped to get the broadcast for free. It backfired and shame on them. Whoever GMM partners are is irrelevant.

• Like 2

The Department of Let's Get the Facts Straight.

Otherwise known as True public relations dept?

I'm with Carra, you register straight after the announcement on here and then jump to True's defence. Something smells fishy to me, and it isn't the missus' lunch.

• Like 1

Maybe they can hook the main satellite broadcast station to a couple of coat hangers and feed that into the satellite system.

or true could distribute a couple of million coat hangers? This s**t discussion is so stupid, since, they are asking True to buy something that they ordinarily get for free. As much as I hate True, I still can't see how on earth you can force someone to pay for something they shouldn't have to.

Edited by Thai at Heart

TIT

The statement from UEFA to GMM clearly states that it is irrelevant that free-to-air channels are rebroadcast on True. True is a pay TV provider and therefore does not have the right to transmit UEFA 2012.

The fact that people choose to access free-to-air via True and not via a separate antenna is irrelevant to UEFA.

TIT

The statement from UEFA to GMM clearly states that it is irrelevant that free-to-air channels are rebroadcast on True. True is a pay TV provider and therefore does not have the right to transmit UEFA 2012.

The fact that people choose to access free-to-air via True and not via a separate antenna is irrelevant to UEFA.

But I think you will find that it is part of True's license to operate that they HAVE to broadcast the free to air national channels. Essentially, Grammy is holding True to ransom by not opening the signal. Grammy can choose to let them have it or not, but by going through free to domestic channels, True one could say HAS to receive the signal. I am sure somewhere, that the contracts between 3.5,7 and True state that the signal HAS to be provided to them, in which case it should be 3,5 and 7 getting fined, not True.

On this one, I have to go with True. They haven't done anything wrong in terms of their legal obligation to 3,5 and 7, it is Grammy that is cutting the signal to them. I somehow think that Grammy won't be winning any more distribution contracts with Uefa.

• Like 1

Ah so because we can watch all premier league games we should just forgive them for this balls up? that is a service we pay for so it is not as though they are doing us a favour. rolleyes.gif

GMM thought about this early and did the right thing, true on the other hand didn't do what they are supposed to do, they assumed it will be ok, nobody thought to check with eufa, The usual head in the sand will see them through, or so they thought, and now it has bitten them on the arse. I am amazed that a business this size that deals with licencing issues every day could make a balls up like this.

Look I understand why many people are bitter it's obvious. What you haven't grasped is that GMM are going to lose their shirts on this deal because they assumed True could be forced into buying. Therein lies the crux. True will get some backlash for sure but the big financial losers are GMM specially if their sponsors take them to task.

What True need to be wary of is that GMM with all their political and football connections and all their money will now try and make some ridiculous bit for the EPL rights. Civil war will ensue coffee1.gif

Edited by Hellhound66

But I think you will find that it is part of True's license to operate that they HAVE to broadcast the free to air national channels. Essentially, Grammy is holding True to ransom by not opening the signal. Grammy can choose to let them have it or not, but by going through free to domestic channels, True one could say HAS to receive the signal. I am sure somewhere, that the contracts between 3.5,7 and True state that the signal HAS to be provided to them, in which case it should be 3,5 and 7 getting fined, not True.

On this one, I have to go with True. They haven't done anything wrong in terms of their legal obligation to 3,5 and 7, it is Grammy that is cutting the signal to them. I somehow think that Grammy won't be winning any more distribution contracts with Uefa.

Yes, as I said in another thread, the law is incomplete. It forces True to retransmit, but allows free-to-air to block the signal (for whatever reason). Catch-22.

It is still just a game.....everyone can read it on the next day in the newspaper.

I have a question, do you ever watch movies or just read about them in a review later?

Well if you do watch them I suggest you take the pleasure you get and multiply it by a few million to get anywhere near the pleasure some of us derive from football, for me my club is a religion, my country a distant second but still a passion. i am sure I speak for people from all the countries represented here.

But well done you, you managed to increase your post count by one although it is pointless drivel and not needed in the thread.

I am very sorry to hear that. While I think it is a mental disease (not too different than other religions), it doesn't hurt as long as they don't cut the signal.

Yes, as I said in another thread, the law is incomplete. It forces True to retransmit, but allows free-to-air to block the signal (for whatever reason). Catch-22.

But I would be very interested to see if actually they are allowed to block the signal. These are national often government and army owned channels. The reason that True has to broadcast them is for reasons that go beyond commercial. I mean if a coup went off during the final, possibly no True subscribers (the wealthier part of society) would know. LOL.

Look I understand why many people are bitter it's obvious. What you haven't grasped is that GMM are going to lose their shirts on this deal because they assumed True could be forced into buying. Therein lies the crux. True will get some backlash for sure but the big financial losers are GMM specially if their sponsors take them to task.

Why would GMM's sponsors take them to task? Once GMM on sells to free-to-air, GMM's sponsors don't get any extra exposure. It is free-to-air's sponsors that are losing out, but it is in the contract that free-to-air can't have it rebroadcast, so free-to-air's sponsors should have expected that.

GMM is probably getting a lot more business because people are forced to buy GMM boxes, which means GMM's sponsors are getting better exposure by not allowing the rebroadcasting.

• Like 1

TIT

Free-to-air means no outlay by the viewer ( in some countries you have to buy a license ). Thus free-to-air stations 90% of the time are terrestrial and are accessed by an antenna. Euro 2012 can be viewed in Thailand by using an antenna therefore GMM are complying with the UEFA conditions.

True make a charge for their equipment whether it be a one-off charge or a subscription therefore none of their channels are free-to-air.

Showing channels 3,5,7,9 and 11 may be a compliance with the NBTC but if you fail to pay your monthly subscription all of them (except 9) are cut off thus, with True they are not free.

I'm with GMM and their business acumen.(I bought a GMM box as soon as True's cock-up started). I will keep my True subscription but I will be looking for next month's Platinum package FOC.

But I would be very interested to see if actually they are allowed to block the signal. These are national often government and army owned channels. The reason that True has to broadcast them is for reasons that go beyond commercial. I mean if a coup went off during the final, possibly no True subscribers (the wealthier part of society) would know. LOL.

There has been no talk from the government that they aren't allowed to block the signal.

TIT

Do you think GMM mentioned to UEFA that True has 1 million subscribers equating to circa 5 million eyeballs of all of Thailand's richest and wealthiest upper and middle upper class subjects plus the entire expat community who would be blocked from viewing their tournament because they don't have an antiquated antenna hanging from their roof. Well FIFA is all about grass roots so maybe they wouldn't care anyway. Happy that the farmers in the North East are all enjoying the tournament.

There has been no talk from the government that they aren't allowed to block the signal.

The silence is deafening.

Alternatively, would True be allowed to block the national TV signals? I doubt it very much.

So how all of a sudden does Grammy have the right to do so? U would believe somewhere in the discussion someone from Grammy raised the issue during discussions with 3,5,7 that they weren't going to allow the signal to go to True, and I would hope someone said, but we HAVE to give it to them contractually, and GMM said, stuff it, we will worry about that afterwards. So, from True's perspective, I wouldn't pay a penny of the fine, trawl off to Tileke and Gibbins and wait to see GMM and 3,5,7 in court.

Although, maybe we are onto something here, we can simply petition True to block all sorts of things we don't want to watch. I for one go for endless soap operas.

On another issue, if I was an advertiser, and I had bought advertising time on 3,5 and 7 on the basis of a promised demographic being available to watch their broadcast, and then they cut off the vast majority of higher income viewers, wouldn't the advertisers be entitled to some type of legal comeback?

Indeed, a catch 22, but then of course, legal systems are meant to prevent this type of crapola. But, it is fascinating to watch all of this pan out over bloody football.

TIT

Free-to-air means no outlay by the viewer ( in some countries you have to buy a license ). Thus free-to-air stations 90% of the time are terrestrial and are accessed by an antenna. Euro 2012 can be viewed in Thailand by using an antenna therefore GMM are complying with the UEFA conditions.

True make a charge for their equipment whether it be a one-off charge or a subscription therefore none of their channels are free-to-air.

Showing channels 3,5,7,9 and 11 may be a compliance with the NBTC but if you fail to pay your monthly subscription all of them (except 9) are cut off thus, with True they are not free.

I'm with GMM and their business acumen.(I bought a GMM box as soon as True's cock-up started). I will keep my True subscription but I will be looking for next month's Platinum package FOC.

How much did that cost? Was it an enforced 1 year subscription? Did they link it to your True satellite dish? Can you get commentary in English? True are not going to give you a free month. That would cost them 2 billion Baht -and now they have the letter from UEFA to ensure this won't happen.

Edited by Hellhound66

I am very sorry to hear that. While I think it is a mental disease (not too different than other religions), it doesn't hurt as long as they don't cut the signal.

i am guessing your post is lost in translation, people that follow football have a mental disease? Is that what you are saying? because someone has a passion that is tangible you say they have a mental disease?? <deleted>?

I am sure the religious people on here will bite your head off also.

Why would GMM's sponsors take them to task? Once GMM on sells to free-to-air, GMM's sponsors don't get any extra exposure. It is free-to-air's sponsors that are losing out, but it is in the contract that free-to-air can't have it rebroadcast, so free-to-air's sponsors should have expected that.

GMM is probably getting a lot more business because people are forced to buy GMM boxes, which means GMM's sponsors are getting better exposure by not allowing the rebroadcasting.

My bad not GMM's sponsors I meant the free to air sponsors of 3,5,9. The free TV channels sold sponsorship advertising packages to recoup the costs that GMM charged them to air the matches. I would estimate that each channel paid between 60-80 million Baht to GMM for the Euro rights.

TIT

How much did that cost? Was it an enforced 1 year subscription? Did they link it to your True satellite dish? Can you get commentary in English? True are not going to give you a free month. That would cost them 2 billion Baht -and now they have the letter from UEFA to ensure this won't happen.

true are already a few days into giving a free month, this letter changes nothing as far as i can see, it just reiterates what we already know and what has been discussed previously. There is nothing new here apart from the letter, the contents of which we already had an understanding of.

Big fine for True then... 20k a day x 19 match days = 340k + loss of subscription fees + customers = **** YOU TRUE!

They won't have to pay any fine since UEFA just sent a letter saying True are not allowed to broadcast the matches. You have GMM and their partners to thank for that.

TIT

true are already a few days into giving a free month, this letter changes nothing as far as i can see, it just reiterates what we already know and what has been discussed previously. There is nothing new here apart from the letter, the contents of which we already had an understanding of.

Isn't it just an upgrade which costs True nothing? The letter is very new. Prior to the letter GMM were saying they were blocking the signal because True didn't pay them any money. Now they are saying True cannot have the signal due to a UEFA TV rights ruling. Completely let's True off the hook legally.

Edited by Hellhound66