Indochina Market In Mukdahan

Somnambulist

From Wikipedia - Indochina Market (ตลาดสินค้าอินโดจีน) The market lines the Mekong River. The major shopping area is the hub of products, local and imported, as well as OTOP of Mukdahan.

My wife has read on Thai language forums that this market sells things from Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. What we want is to buy some Trung Nguyen coffee from Vietnam. Anybody know?

Not to sure about your coffee as never looked for coffee there.

But generally the market is full of cheap <deleted> imported from China, just IMHO, do yourself a favour and stay in the pub and let her wonder around looking at all that crap.

Best of luck.

Don't think this is a regular thing, wife said that some of the locals were going up for the market next month. The SIL used to work for the Indo/ China development board and seem to recall they had a big market and display in Ubon about 2 years ago. Just a show case for businesses to display their wares, Maybe some good deals, but who knows. Jim

• Like 1

We were there a couple months ago and I do recall some coffees I'd never seen before but I have no idea what brands. We were rather disappointed with the market, and that's saying something coming from my OTOP loving wife. Much of it seemed like stuff you could get at any local market. Being by the river with nice old buildings makes it a nice walk though.

I'm another who found this market disappointing. The one on the Laos side at Chong Mek is more interesting. It used to be possible to visit this market without a visa but I think one is needed now, which reduces the value for money.

the big one takes place every 12 weeks lots of spectacular furniture, jewellery ,precious stones ,laos and viet handicraft work ,lots of great bargains to be had, have not been ther fo a couple of years, but a thai motel owner here in town, bought all his restaurant furniture and decorations there in march,he reckons its worth the flight from aus to shop there for quality bulk buys

Thanks everybody for your replies. It definitely sounds not worth it. We'll just have to take another trip to Vietnam when we really get a hankering for more Trung Nguyen. Since we live in Chiang Mai we'll stick to Mae Sai and Tachilek for a cheap market experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm another who found this market disappointing. The one on the Laos side at Chong Mek is more interesting. It used to be possible to visit this market without a visa but I think one is needed now, which reduces the value for money.

Chong Mek is after Phibun Mangsahan ( Ubon Ratchathani province) at the border. Guess you meant Sawannnakhet, over the friendship bridge, coming from Mukdahan.

Chong Mek is after Phibun Mangsahan ( Ubon Ratchathani province) at the border. Guess you meant Sawannnakhet, over the friendship bridge, coming from Mukdahan.

Have never seen a market in Savannahkhet, the locals all shop in Mukdahan.

citizen33 meant the market in Laos/ Chong Mek, I guess. It's over to pay 20 baht to go to the Laos market in Chong Mek. Most foreigners have to buy a visa for Laos, 1,400 baht plus a re- entry visa for Thailand when on a Non-B/O, 1,000 baht...........wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

I think he meant the market at the Lao side of the Chong Mek border crossing. biggrin.png

There's a splendid market in Savannakhet. It's out near the bus station where you get the bus to Mukdahan

Yes one page of your passport and $30 US to cross. Not worth it unless it's your border run and they have cracked down on what you can bring back. Jim

They really check people now. Caught our Thai neighbor when she's trying to bring a cheap phone copy in its package over the border.