Wombat Bar At The Shagwell Closing.

pattayadingo

At the end of this month there will be no more live music from the Filipino band as the bar is closing. It seems that since the troubles of the police closing the bar at midnight so often and at random may have been the final nail in the coffin, especially as customers stopped going because of the uncertainty.

I feel it was getting tired with the same band 7 days a week, though they are good at what they do.

I've had some good laughs in that bar and some good fun too. In many ways it will be sad to see it close.

• Like 1

Why were the cops closing it at midnight when all the other beer bars in soi arunothai are open until 2am? The beer bars I think are noisier, why was the Wombat singled out?

At that time all the bars were being closed. This was during the height of the floods and there is speculation on the actual reason. Some believe it was people from the flood areas who moved into the area complaining of the noise until 2 a.m. After all it is mainly a residential area. the small bars were really pumping out some loud music until late. The music from the bar at the Shagwell could also be heard until 2 a.m. I am of the belief the music limit is midnight.

The other main reason being touted about was due to a dispute with a Thai man. He wanted to go into the bar. Was told no and he allegedly pulled a gun and threatened the - I think - manager, possible one of the owners. Rumour has it that this Thai man is well connected and he used those connections to have the bars shut down at midnight.

Whatever the real reason behind it all, the customers did not like having the music and their entertainment shut off early. The customer base dwindled. The better of the ladies also left. The fun factor was gone.

Lee - new manager - did his best to get things back to normal but the customers never came back even with music on until 1 a.m. That and the low season upon us seems to have signed the death toll for the bar. A shame for the regulars who loved the cheap(ish) beer and music.

Thanks for that dingo, it is a shame really. I think the whole shagwell bar complex is really well laid out. I remember the old Outback bar too before Wombat, things changing all the time. What next I wonder, good little hide out for something.

Thanks for that dingo, it is a shame really. I think the whole shagwell bar complex is really well laid out. I remember the old Outback bar too before Wombat, things changing all the time. What next I wonder, good little hide out for something.

It is a shame too. Maybe not the most salubrious place in town but many a good night I've had in there.

Now to find somewhere similar. Plenty of places about but not so many with beer at 65 Baht a large bottle and live music.

Why were the cops closing it at midnight when all the other beer bars in soi arunothai are open until 2am? The beer bars I think are noisier, why was the Wombat singled out?

At that time all the bars were being closed. This was during the height of the floods and there is speculation on the actual reason. Some believe it was people from the flood areas who moved into the area complaining of the noise until 2 a.m. After all it is mainly a residential area. the small bars were really pumping out some loud music until late. The music from the bar at the Shagwell could also be heard until 2 a.m. I am of the belief the music limit is midnight.

The other main reason being touted about was due to a dispute with a Thai man. He wanted to go into the bar. Was told no and he allegedly pulled a gun and threatened the - I think - manager, possible one of the owners. Rumour has it that this Thai man is well connected and he used those connections to have the bars shut down at midnight.

Whatever the real reason behind it all, the customers did not like having the music and their entertainment shut off early. The customer base dwindled. The better of the ladies also left. The fun factor was gone.

Lee - new manager - did his best to get things back to normal but the customers never came back even with music on until 1 a.m. That and the low season upon us seems to have signed the death toll for the bar. A shame for the regulars who loved the cheap(ish) beer and music.

The gun incident is totally unrelated to the closing of the Boomerang. He was a bodyguard of a drunk Australian who was out of line, when asked to leave, turned nasty and his bodyguard pulled a gun (allegedly).

The boomerang (Wombat/Outback) bar has always had a good 6/12 months then closes only to re-open 6 months later... I wouldn't give up on it yet......