Samui Butterfly Garden (Review)

My girlfriend and I wanted to visit the Butterfly Garden south of Lamai, at Laem Natien. When we arrived we discovered that the Butterfly Garden was part of Centara Villas Samui which is a 5-star hotel across the road sprawling down to the beach.

The entry fee is 200 baht per person. The garden itself is attractive with a lot of different species of plants, winding up a hill with some pleasant sala’s and man-made waterfalls and pools. The butterflies themselves are kept inside via a black tent meshing.

Unfortunately, though we could count on one hand the different species of butterflies present in the garden. And the overall number of butterflies were extremely small. Perhaps only slightly more concentrated than what might occur naturally with an open garden. Quite a disappointment! I don’t know if the Butterfly Garden at some previous time was much more substantial in both variety and quantity of butterfly species. But clearly, the “Butterfly” in “Butterfly Garden” as it stands today should be dropped, as it is terribly misleading.

The Butterfly Garden staff, however, presented each visitor with a 2 for 1 drinks coupon at the Centara Reef Bar across the road down by the beach. So we thought perhaps the poor butterfly showing might be made up with some decent drink specials. We took the bait, and decided to check out the Reef Bar. When we arrived, we found out that the Reef Bar offers two for one specials for all patrons between 1pm-2pm and 5pm-7pm. So the coupons received from the Butterfly Garden were rather pointless inside these times, which was when we visited.

I thought, “Well, alright, the Butterfly Garden was a major disappointment, and the 2-for-1 drink special coupons provided were pointless, but we’re here now, so let’s try out some drink specials just the same.”

We ordered a few cocktails and in my opinion, these were extremely poor quality. Most of the people in the bar were drinking draft beer. Perhaps they knew something we didn’t. Admittedly, it was lower season (mid-June) so perhaps the regular staff was on leave. But that's not really an excuse. The one saving grace of the Reef Bar experience was the very talented live music duo that played during happy hour.

As we left the Butterfly Garden/Reef Bar and drove away, I had the rather pestering and unsettling feeling that I just had more than 1000 baht skilfully lifted from my wallet by an expert pick pocket. Of course, that’s just my personal feeling.

Butterfly Garden: Two thumbs down.

Reef Bar: Two thumbs down.

So, you had "a few cocktails" in a 5 Star(as you mention)Beach Bar, with Live Music...

The Drinks Menue didn´t show prices??

So why are you wondering about the 1000 baht bill at the end???

In front of 7/11 its cheaper, but no Live Music of course, and no Seaview.

So, you had "a few cocktails" in a 5 Star(as you mention)Beach Bar, with Live Music...

The Drinks Menue didn´t show prices??

So why are you wondering about the 1000 baht bill at the end???

In front of 7/11 its cheaper, but no Live Music of course, and no Seaview.

Who said anything about wondering about the bill at the end? I'm simply expressing an overall feeling of the experience + personal recommendation. You're free to take it or leave it.

Totally agree the biggest waste of time of places to go and have to pay, on the island... sad.png

There are more butterflies in my garden than they had when I went, which was at the insistence of a friend wanting to get photos of butterflies...sad.png

Definitely too thumbs down on this one...

Not been to the new one in Ban Saket.... waiting for revues!!!! biggrin.png

Anyone going to be the first to try??? whistling.gif

• Like 1

XXI visited the new park. Photos and comments on my wesite : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

but it's in French ... désolé.

It was last April. It was apparently not yet fully finished being built, the bees were absent and other species had not yet been delivered.

Edited by Rooo
URL removed.

An interesting article from Samui Holiday magazine about a butterfly expert living on Samui.

(http://www.)samuiholidaymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=295:the-butterfly-effect&catid=36:july-2011&Itemid=16

(http://www.)samuibutterflies.com/home/

Thanks for these great Samui butterfly resources.

This butterfly expert has documented 321 unique species of butterfly in Samui, and estimates about 350 on the island. Amazing. I only saw 4 or 5 (living) at Samui Butterfly Garden.

Now I really feel gypped. Thanks. :P

Edited by dbrisinda

I went about 8 years ago and clearly nothing has changed - perhaps they have one more species than when I went! As another poster stated I get more different types of butterfly in my garden on a busy road than there. Total rip off which is a sad reflection on what is supposed to be a quality hotel.

• Like 1

If anyone wants butterflies en mass, one of the best plants to attract them is the Lantana bush... they come in various colours of flowers, and even grow wild around the island, they bloom almost continuously.....

Fairly easy to grow, providing soil is well drained!

here includes picture to help recognize!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantana

• Like 2