3 British Nationals Arrested In Transnational Call Centre Scam: Bangkok

webfact

3 Britons arrested in call centre scam

image_201206201718210966659E-D22F-F49B-339F9FE564137105.jpg

BANGKOK, June 20 - Three British nationals were arrested for alleged involvement in a transnational call centre scam, Thailand’s Immigration Bureau chief said on Tuesday.

Police Lt-Gen Wiboon Bangthamai, commissioner of the Immigration Bureau, said the three suspects were arrested with telephones, internet connection devices, computers and documents about the victims.

The detainees were identified as Richard Ian Cook, Stovell Matthew Niel and Carroll Matthew Peter.

Gen Wiboon said the arrest came as police searched a room in Sukhumvit Soi 26 in the Thai capital after finding that a broker company was set up to lure victims from abroad to transfer money for investment.

According to the commissioner, the calls were made via internet-based telephone from Thailand to European countries such as England, Switzerland, Germany, Sweden and Austria to convince the victims to transfer their money to a bank account opened in Switzerland.

Gen Wiboon revealed the investment fund started at two million baht or around 50,000 euros per person and the money was then transferred from Switzerland to the bank accounts in Malaysia and then finally forwarded to Thailand. One fourth of the money was disbursed to persons opening the accounts, another 25 per cent for call centre staff, and the rest for the head of the gang who lives in Malaysia.

The suspects however denied all charges.

They were initially charged with overstaying their visas and will be declared persona non grata.

Police are now conducting further investigations to find if there are more accomplices. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-20

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scam? I read nothing about a scam here. It looks more like the police was not getting it's fair share. Investments from 50,000 Euro and above do not need permission from local European regulators. It is by the always bad business if you are a foreigner and work or want to set up a business in Thailand. There are so many better and more convenient options, even within Europe itself.

Happy Days!!!

The scum are being captured every other week now.............these people are the scum of the earth and they should be locked up for taking advantage of the vulnerable.

Big like to the Thai authorities for addressing this problem, I hope these useless robbing vermin get years in jail. Scum.

Ha ha ha. I knew it wouldn't be long.

Why don't you say 'scum' just one more time, come on, you know you want to!

Some time I got callss from call centers that say they operate out of Hong Kong but the number is private and possible an internet call and they wanted me to invest funds in some startup companies. I did made a mistake and gave my phone number via LinkedIn that wanted to do business in Singapore with me.

I told him that this scams don't work with me and I asked asked them for the full name of the company and the company registration number so that I can report them. Since then, I never heard anything again from them.

Who gives 50k Euros to somebody who calls you on the phone? I know the response from tv posters will be that these call center guys prey on the elderly, but c'mon folks, wise up

Obviously some are complying or else they would not be doing this. There is money to be made (stolen), and Thailand is the place to run the operation from.

Suspects are suspects, thus innocent until proven guilty and should NEVER, should I repeat? NEVER ever be named. Basic rules of civilisation: respect human rights. Period.

Bravo! agree...thus, my 'like' of post #6 is provisional.......but, I too cannot resist.......SCUM...SCUMMY...SCUM-A-DUM-DUMB

Happy Days!!!

The scum are being captured every other week now.............these people are the scum of the earth and they should be locked up for taking advantage of the vulnerable.

Big like to the Thai authorities for addressing this problem, I hope these useless robbing vermin get years in jail. Scum.

Hard to imagine one of his posts without scum.. Someone said his first name was Algae - the lowest form of marine life which makes a lot of sense... Also, all the miscreants were pommies, so it may have been a bit close to home..

I get calls all the time from companies... Questor is one...

I had one a while back saying that there was a new technology company working with Mercedes Benz for trucks and it was a small and unheard of company and its stock was going to multiply...

they are great smooth talkers...

I had some of these people try it on with me a couple of years ago. A long time ago I had some shares which are all but worthless nowadays.

They called me up from Japan, asking me to send them $10,000 to 'free-up' the shares and they would then buy them for a six figure sum for their customer.

I strung them along for a week or two just to run up their telephone bill.

Scum.

• Like 1

This is discusting..The majority of us are looking to lead productive lives here in Thailand..What make this worse is i am British (Liverpool) With 3 Royal Thai Policemen Brothers in law..

These people riping of Europeans and hiding in Asia..I can say this "If it had of been me or my loved ones scammed i would of personally tracked these people down"..

They had overstayed there visa's KICK em out i say..With no option to return..We do not want them and i am pretty sure the Thai nationals do not want them..

• Like 1

When will they learn................

You know Astral, unfortunately they never will.

I've seen this type all my life, I've seen them selling drugs in nightclubs, I've seen them perpetrate mortgage frauds, I've seen them using high pressure selling techniques to sell timeshare, I've seen them camping out in people's homes' trying to sell them disability aids, I've seen them loan sharking......blah blah.

I've see them do everything but try to make an honest living.

To all we members here that did ( do ) exactly that, these people look at us with contempt. They stand in the bars bragging about their latest scam, their latest victim.

These people are not in our class, I cannot stand them.

+1

• Like 1

Happy Days!!!

Okay then.......I don't mind being predictable at times, as long as it's a worthy cause. So just in case anyone is wondering, I think these people are scum.

Just so you know. thumbsup.gif

We know !!

• Like 1

Happy Days!!!

BUT, they are scum, thinking LOS is easy pickings, BUT seems things are a changing eh. smile.png
  • Like 1

This is discusting..The majority of us are looking to lead productive lives here in Thailand..What make this worse is i am British (Liverpool) With 3 Royal Thai Policemen Brothers in law..

These people riping of Europeans and hiding in Asia..I can say this "If it had of been me or my loved ones scammed i would of personally tracked these people down"..

They had overstayed there visa's KICK em out i say..With no option to return..We do not want them and i am pretty sure the Thai nationals do not want them..

Wow, so many messages in this thread from "many people" who have fewer than 10 posts "each."

And, of course, the usual litany from some who think whenever the police arrest anyone, it's the police who are at fault, never the angelic farang.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Suspects are suspects, thus innocent until proven guilty and should NEVER, should I repeat? NEVER ever be named. Basic rules of civilisation: respect human rights. Period.

Suspects like this and in many other cases should be named so other peoples that have been duped can come forward.
  • Like 1

I am quite used to being scammed by experts ie the british government .the e poor individuals were just trying to make a living like most of us.How much have the Banks ripped off pensioners to date and long into the future lets have some perspective on this

I've seen this type all my life, I've seen them selling drugs in nightclubs, I've seen them perpetrate mortgage frauds, I've seen them using high pressure selling techniques to sell timeshare, I've seen them camping out in people's homes' trying to sell them disability aids, I've seen them loan sharking......blah blah.

To all we members here that did ( do ) exactly that, these people look at us with contempt. They stand in the bars bragging about their latest scam, their latest victim.

Well maybe it is time for us decent's farangs to do something about it!!

Well maybe it is time for us decent's farangs to do something about it!!

I'm ahead of you there already, however you should be aware that there is a rule on TV that we can't campaign on here. We would get spammed to death by every worthy cause under the Sun. All we can do is live life to our own standards, and on a recent thread I said don't give these guys the time of day when you see them in bars.

I'm not suggesting anyone should confront them or harass them, but certainly ignore them.

Happy Days!!!

Scum.

• Like 2