Public Beach Access On Bo Phut Or Chaweng

We are looking to rent an apartment (palm view apartments by the airport) and are wondering if beach access is readily available to people not staying on the beach otherwise we will rent on the beach. We would like access to lounge chairs with umbrellas and access to vendors selling drinks etc. By the way, has anyone stayed at these apartments before as I could not find any recommendations or reviews on this.

Regards

BD

We are looking to rent an apartment (palm view apartments by the airport) and are wondering if beach access is readily available to people not staying on the beach otherwise we will rent on the beach. We would like access to lounge chairs with umbrellas and access to vendors selling drinks etc. By the way, has anyone stayed at these apartments before as I could not find any recommendations or reviews on this.

Regards

BD

All beaches in Thailand are Crown Property and you are entitled to use them. Bophut Beach is easily accessible from many points. Chaweng Beach is accessible but generally through hotel grounds although you can get there through the Night Plaza and there is a Public Access opposite the turn to Laem Din Market.

Loungers and Umbrellas are generally reserved for hotel guests only and they would certainly not look kindly to you using their facilities and then buying drinks etc from Beach vendors. You may be able to approach them on the basis of renting on a daily basis, but much will depend I suspect on how busy they are. There are spots on Chaweng Beach around the Ark Bar and Barracuda at the north end which are pretty welcoming and have a more relaxed attitude to casual users but you should buy your drinks from them at least. Malibu Beach Resort next to the Night Plaza is a nice spot and if you are patronising their restaurant and bar are generally a little more relaxed on this.

Regards

BD

I suggest you head for Choeng mon beach, it's about 3km from the airport jct/fish market heading towards Chaweng.

I also agree that Choeng mon beach is the best on the Island, not the largest, it's beautiful, has a lot of nice places where you can eat or drink and use their sun chairs. I love it, it's the only beach I visit now. Only down side for some people - a bit more expensive than some...

Evadgib,

Good advice.

In my opinion one of the best bays of Samui!

Soon after moving to my current house I donned a pair of diving bootees & deliberatly set about locating all submerged rocks in the bay (to avoid stubbing my toes while swimming). I can reveal that anyone swimming between ol soliei resort and the red roofed building on the far side of the boat house (thats a 3-400m frontage) will be ok.........or at least i've never hurt myself in 4 years:)