Chiang Mai Increases Safety Measures For Tourists

webfact

Chiang Mai increases safety measures for tourists after an Australian killed in Phuket

CHIANG MAI, 25 June 2012 (NNT)-Following the murder of an Australian woman in Phuket last week, Chiangmai Governor M.L Panadda Disakul has instructed security units to beef up safety measures for tourists to regain confidence in the province's tourism industry.

The Governor said since tourists, both Thai and foreign, visit the province all year round, the latest attack on a foreigner has given Thailand a negative image and hurt the tourism industry significantly.

Police, provincial and local authorities have been instructed to protect lives of tourists as well as their valuable belongings in a bid to increase their confidence while enjoying their stay in Chiangmai.

Additionally, police patrol units have been increased particularly at night during weekends when there is a large number of tourists. More than 200 volunteer cops have also been assigned to keep their watchful eyes on the well-being of people on behalf of policemen.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-25 footer_n.gif

I don't know what the Governor is like - but a proactive step such as this can only be good.

Chiang Mai has a nice feel about it, is more relaxing and laid back than Bangkok and is surrounded by stunning countryside.

We've all sat and watched as beautiful parts of Thailand get violated by unbridled greed and if Thailand wants its tourism industry to prosper it has to protect it in so mant ways.

Is this just another reason to harrass foreign tourists. I went through a police roadblock today and it was all white people. Thai's without helmuts just drove past.

Not harassment, if they are breaking the law. Do NOT go to a country if you do not follow and respect their law. Breaking the law because "everyone else does" is no excuse.

• Like 2

The problem is that even Thai politicians support the viewpoint that foreigners are to be looked down upon, they are 'material' that is to exploit and like grass that is cut, new grass is growing fast.

Despite all the scams, double pricing etc., the flow of tourists always seems to go on. That more and more people keep their stays in Thailand shorter compared to before and stay in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia etc. (and very soon: Myanmar) instead is obviously not of concern to the authorities.

But if "official" Thailand tolerates (Jet Ski Scams, Tuktuk ripoffs etc.) or actively supports (double pricing even at official sightseeing spots, national parks etc) the exploitation of foreigners, how can they expect that thugs and thieves -- or even the 'normal' population - will display a better attitude?

More police, fine, but the tree is rotten from its roots.

Apart from that, the 'gardeners' have almost never been successful in making the 'tree' more healthy, actually they rather seem to increase the foulness and poison by looking away or helping to cover up the failures of their 'fellow Thais' … :-/

• Like 1

The problem is that even Thai politicians support the viewpoint that foreigners are to be looked down upon, they are 'material' that is to exploit and like grass that is cut, new grass is growing fast.

Despite all the scams, double pricing etc., the flow of tourists always seems to go on. That more and more people keep their stays in Thailand shorter compared to before and stay in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia etc. (and very soon: Myanmar) instead is obviously not of concern to the authorities. :-/

Yep Myanmar!. Nice beaches and way better value.

Effective security and policing certainly can not hurt, but how about looking at improving the nation's education system and standard of living as a long term solution?

I don't think the governor of one city can change the education standards and economy of the whole country.

This is a local government official trying to be pro-active with his city.

• 2 months later...

Is this just another reason to harrass foreign tourists. I went through a police roadblock today and it was all white people. Thai's without helmuts just drove past.

Not harassment, if they are breaking the law. Do NOT go to a country if you do not follow and respect their law. Breaking the law because "everyone else does" is no excuse.

I agree its not harassment it is prejudiced!

I agree its not harassment it is prejudiced!

Not in CM, the police show little interest in stopping foreigners, only Thais.

Occasionally foreigners get stopped at helmet checks, but I've never seen one stopped for anything else.