Two Thai Men Confess To Killing Aussie Michelle Smith For '300 Baht'

webfact

First of all that s a good thing the killers were caught . The second thing ..why police have to share the reward ? isn't it their job to investigate ? killing someone for 10$ , I just wonder in which world we are living . I guess the tourism will be hurt with such news. what a great publicity ... I also saw the result of the trial in court for the 16yo driver without permit who killed 9 people in Bangkok last year has been postponed .. when you have money you can still walk away after killing 9 persons , when you are nothing in the social life of Thais , police catch you in days and get reward .... something I would love to understand ...another Amazing thailand campaign .

Oh, monkeys killing someone for peanuts is not peculiar to Thailand. It's happened in the UK, the US, and no doubt many other developed countries.

I'm so sick of hearing this sentiment; what exactly is your point, JohnAllan? That two wrongs somehow make a right? That if people are murdered somewhere else in the world, then it's okay for them to be murdered here? I suppose as long as women are raped somewhere else in the world, then it's okay for them to be raped here? If there is corruption somewhere else in the world, then it's okay for there to be pervasive corruption here? As long as one can point to something bad happening somewhere else in the world, then we don't have to be concerned with bad things that happen here? What exactly is your point?

In turth, statistics show there are 2X the number of murders per capita in Thailand than in the "wild and wooly, gun-crazy USA." 2X !! IMO, the question that needs be asked is, "Why?" Nothing can be improved unless and until you first recognize there is a problem that needs improvement. How does dimissing any and all criticism because, "the same thing happens elsewhere, " improve anything, anywhere?

I too grow quite tired of the apologists that always seem to crawl out from under a rock to make statements to the affect that "this crap happens everywhere". Guess what, it may happen elsewhere, but THIS incident took place in Thailand, not the US or the UK or anywhere else. Since when does anyone hold Thailand up to the same standards as the rest of the world? Some may try, but it isn't, so why try?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear on Melbourne radio that when they paraded them in public and during the re enactment that it took 100 police to restrain an angry mob of 200+ spectators, many of them farangs who yelled abuse. Is this true, from any Phuketers who may have been in the crowd?

Its true, Chooka. My friend from Phuket Town said she saw that on TV. Many try to get at the murderers, not just farang.

Miracle place where police share reward if they caught criminals.blink.png

So just a question: An another tourist got stabbed in the stomach few days ago by 3 thais men on a isolated road. Did the police catch the culprits

or maybe the reward was not high enough (as this crime doesnt get so much coverage). sick.gif

ps: canot post the link to the another stabbing as TV dont allowed it... but you can google it and found the news on the other phuket gazette.

I hear on Melbourne radio that when they paraded them in public and during the re enactment that it took 100 police to restrain an angry mob of 200+ spectators, many of them farangs who yelled abuse. Is this true, from any Phuketers who may have been in the crowd?

Its true, Chooka. My friend from Phuket Town said she saw that on TV. Many try to get at the murderers, not just farang.

There was a post about this earlier today on this very thread: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16277.html

Be you that they will get a seat sentence without being represented by a lawyer because they can't afford one.

How little you know about the Thai judicial system. Everyone has a lawyer made available to them either a decent paid one or a free one regardless of nationality. By confessing they have basically accepted the guilty charge so that gets their sentence cut in half. They could get a sentence as low as 15 years which if they are clever and make their way up the prison grading system earn higher annual reduction in the Kings birthday. They could be out in less than 6 years.

That said IMO they should be given and serve a full 25 years.

I am very well versed with the way the courts work here.....

I was thinking a life sentence, without the possibility of pardon, and a 5 million baht fine for their parents, for bringing such rodents into the world. Little regard for a human life here. I hear that the stabbing took place before they took the purse, so there was not an option to not resist, and just give up the goods. What kind of regard for life is this? These insects deserve life in prison. They earned it. Lets give them what they earned.

So just a question: An another tourist got stabbed in the stomach few days ago by 3 thais men on a isolated road. Did the police catch the culprits

or maybe the reward was not high enough (as this crime doesnt get so much coverage). sick.gif

ps: canot post the link to the another stabbing as TV dont allowed it... but you can google it and found the news on the other phuket gazette.

Yep, it's a miracle that the police get paid less than 10,000 Baht a month and have to pay a lot to be assigned a position in Phuket... Maybe you should re-read the article. Where does it say it was on an isolated road? He was riding from Chalong to Rawai at 3:30 AM on Viset Road, if it's the same incident I remember reading about. Viset Road would be the main four lane highway from the southern end of Phuket to Chalong...

50,000 baht reward money was divided up among the police investigators who worked on the successful investigation.

LOL

And there's me thinking it was their job..... Silly me...

Doesn't the idea of divvying it up among the police give then an incentive to get rid of witnesses or informants who come forward with evidence?

No there has been no reported arrests of a one of the 19 million tourists who stabbed 3-days ago in Thailand with its population of almost 70 million which there were no reports of video catching the crime, motorcycle license plate or description of the suspects but then again I am not aware of police providing blow by blow of progress updates of their investigations or what leads they have in non-high profile cases where nobody has died or even life threatening injuries as well have not heard of police offering rewards for such crime but am sure you or any other concerned parties would be welcome to offer such reward if you think it would help ... then again, a reward appears to have done nothing to help solve this case so quickly.

Be you that they will get a seat sentence without being represented by a lawyer because they can't afford one.

How little you know about the Thai judicial system. Everyone has a lawyer made available to them either a decent paid one or a free one regardless of nationality. By confessing they have basically accepted the guilty charge so that gets their sentence cut in half. They could get a sentence as low as 15 years which if they are clever and make their way up the prison grading system earn higher annual reduction in the Kings birthday. They could be out in less than 6 years.

That said IMO they should be given and serve a full 25 years.

I am very well versed with the way the courts work here.....

I was thinking a life sentence, without the possibility of pardon, and a 5 million baht fine for their parents, for bringing such rodents into the world. Little regard for a human life here. I hear that the stabbing took place before they took the purse, so there was not an option to not resist, and just give up the goods. What kind of regard for life is this? These insects deserve life in prison. They earned it. Lets give them what they earned.

I guess you didn't watch the CCTV video that has been posted for over 24 hours then? And you don't seem to know anything about the Thai judicial system... And who are you to say: "Lets give them what they earned." Some lynch mob? And I'm guessing you don't live in Thailand as you don't seem to have a clue as to how things work here...

They say they didn't mean to kill her. Bullsh#t. You carry a knife and use it in a robbery, then you know someone could die. Scum.

Seems the defense would argue the knife was for cutting the bag straps... Just saying...

Not trying to be Sherlock Holmes here, but looking at the picture, where it says a re-enactment, of the suspect holding the knife, doesnt look like a grip that would normall be used to cut a strap??

good observation, I agree with you now that you pointed it out, it was also stated previously that it was a 10cm knife, the one on reenactment was much bigger, that is if they replicated the knife

This is so foreign to me this re-enacting thing ....?? Never heard of this anywhere else in the worrld that I have been and I have been to many places ... Ok don't come back crowning me with insults but really ... what is the point in doing this and it seems they do it here in Thailand for every crime that has been done... ?? What am I missing here ?? Is this really relevant / true and good proof that they are in fact THE CULPRITS ???

Anyone confesses after a bit of police torture and political pressure. Be you that they will get a seat sentence without being represented by a lawyer because they can't afford one. The real killers might still be out though, which is not important, case solved (maybe)

What!!!

Of course it is possible. When the police are under great political pressure there are known to grab anyone and torture a confession out of them in a "safe house" where no one else they have been taken. That way, the suspects are more terrified because they know that, if they die, their deaths will only be recorded as disappearances, since on one knew of their arrests.

Yep, it's a miracle that the police get paid less than 10,000 Baht a month and have to pay a lot to be assigned a position in Phuket... Maybe you should re-read the article. Where does it say it was on an isolated road? He was riding from Chalong to Rawai at 3:30 AM on Viset Road, if it's the same incident I remember reading about. Viset Road would be the main four lane highway from the southern end of Phuket to Chalong...

I doubt it was too big of a road since the victim claims after being propositioned to buy drugs by the 3 men who pulled along side him on the moped that the moped sped ahead of him and blocked the road about 300 meters before a roundabout. Unless he was completely drunk, not sure how a single moped could block a 4 lane highway. He says he was riding home from a bar at 3:30 in the morning and that after the incident a women told him he was stabbed and should go to the hospital. If he wasn't too drunk to remember, I think they should show him a photo line up with the two guys arrested for killing the women.

Phuket locals outraged by stab attack re-enactment

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16277QAxenyXIMMjWkSKitTmVnhVJPf.jpg

A Phuket Police officer moves in to keep the peace as some of the local residents voice their anger this morning. The signs reads: 'Don't accuse us. Karon people did not do it'. Photo: Orawin Narabal

PHUKET: Police staved off scenes of chaos this morning as local residents shouted out insults at the two suspects who were required by police to carry out a public re-enactment of the botched bag-snatch that led to the fatal stabbing of Australian tourist Michelle Smith.

Police intervened and kept the angry crowd members at bay.

Surasak Suwannachote, who confessed to stabbing Mrs Smith, and Surin Thatthong, the driver of the motorbike used in the attack, re-enacted the crime in front of the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort this morning.

However, as the two suspects tried to carry out their instructions, some members of the 100-strong crowd closed in.

“Take them to the prison. Take them there and make them comfortable, feed them well and offer them a free place to stay forever,” one lady called out sarcastically.

“You are such a rubbish…You are a citizen of this country, but you are such an embarrassment for this world,” yelled another woman.

Police were ordered to stand by several members of the crowd to make sure tempers did not get out of control.

Some villagers held signs up saying “We are local residents, we will not ruin Phuket” and “We are Karon residents, we don’t welcome people from other provinces who cause trouble”.

To avoid potential violence, police sped along the process by having officers create “safe corridors” through the crowd and keeping the more vocal members close at hand.

Many of the locals also praised the police for catching the two suspects so quickly, some even broke into applause.

“Thank you for catching them, and thank you for keeping them off the streets,” one man shouted.

After the re-enactment had concluded, the signs were posted on to a prominent roadside wall near the hotel – as a deterrent to other criminals looking to operate in the area.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16277.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-26

Anybody there in Phuket who can confirm this ...???

My point is comparing countries is like comparing apples to oranges.

Western values laws etc don't fit here and visa versa.

They are different and in this case the thai way has produced results.This has ruffled feathers and brought out the back home brigade on T V

The same people generally also enjoy the more lapsed side to Thailand when it suits.hence some would say being hypocritical.

As for the fact Thais can get houses etc in the west, how about visas on arrival ? why is this also not reciprocal etc etc

The only common denominator with countries is where ever you live there is good and bad people.

Finally anyone that believes the uk isn't corrupt or cannot be influenced by who you know or in this case who was murdered, is simply living with there head in the sand.Running large nightclubs in Uk taught me otherwise same BS higher price tag.

Not sure what you point is, but the FACT is that it is against the law to stab someone in the heart during the commission of a robbery in every country on the planet, so your argument does not stand up under scrutiny.

I doubt it was too big of a road since the victim claims after being propositioned to buy drugs by the 3 men who pulled along side him on the moped that the moped sped ahead of him and blocked the road about 300 meters before a roundabout. Unless he was completely drunk, not sure how a single moped could block a 4 lane highway. He says he was riding home from a bar at 3:30 in the morning and that after the incident a women told him he was stabbed and should go to the hospital. If he wasn't too drunk to remember, I think they should show him a photo line up with the two guys arrested for killing the women.

I am guessing you don't live in Phuket, since you couldn't spell it. Viset Road is the main road from the Chalong roundabout to Rawai. It is two lanes in either direction, but there is a concrete divider down the center for less than a kilometer near the roundabout. So, it is still two lanes in either direction... But he was out at 3:30 AM, after bars closed, so who knows what really happened.

"During a press conference at the resort after the re-enactment, Deputy National Police Chief Pansiri Prapawat told some 50 media personnel that the pair confessed to the crime, but said they had no intention of killing Mrs Smith."

Who cares what they said. The point is that whoever killed her, whether it was these guys or some one else, deliberately stabbed her in the chest without caring whether she lived or died. Stabbing some one in the chest is almost always murder or attempted murder,if the victim is lucky enough to survive. The only question might be whether it was premeditated or not but in many jurisdictions murder in the course of a robbery is regarded as premeditated when the suspect went out with the intention to commit robbery armed with a deadly weapon. In the UK this used to be classified as a capital crime.

• Like 1

Anyone confesses after a bit of police torture and political pressure. Be you that they will get a seat sentence without being represented by a lawyer because they can't afford one. The real killers might still be out though, which is not important, case solved (maybe)

What!!!

Of course it is possible. When the police are under great political pressure there are known to grab anyone and torture a confession out of them in a "safe house" where no one else they have been taken. That way, the suspects are more terrified because they know that, if they die, their deaths will only be recorded as disappearances, since on one knew of their arrests.

I think you have been reading too many old stories. Thai police have very skilled people at gaining confessions without the use of violence. Defendants are provided lawyers and like anywhere else, such a confession would be thrown out. The heaviest tactic police use now a day is simply going at questioning suspects for hours on end. Everyone is free to recant a confession and say it was coerced but the vast majority of people will admit their guilt if the police can simply convince them they have enough on them because they know it will be a huge reduction in the sentence. The people who tend to plead not guilty are the ones with little to lose who will likely face life or death regardless of their admission such as the suspected terrorists in Bangkok where if anybody was going to be tortured it would be them. Certainly are bad cops everywhere but torture is currently not the least bit of a common way to get a confession in Thailand ... in the war zone in the south, it may be a different story.

Phuket locals outraged by stab attack re-enactment

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16277QAxenyXIMMjWkSKitTmVnhVJPf.jpg

A Phuket Police officer moves in to keep the peace as some of the local residents voice their anger this morning. The signs reads: 'Don't accuse us. Karon people did not do it'. Photo: Orawin Narabal

PHUKET: Police staved off scenes of chaos this morning as local residents shouted out insults at the two suspects who were required by police to carry out a public re-enactment of the botched bag-snatch that led to the fatal stabbing of Australian tourist Michelle Smith.

Police intervened and kept the angry crowd members at bay.

Surasak Suwannachote, who confessed to stabbing Mrs Smith, and Surin Thatthong, the driver of the motorbike used in the attack, re-enacted the crime in front of the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort this morning.

However, as the two suspects tried to carry out their instructions, some members of the 100-strong crowd closed in.

“Take them to the prison. Take them there and make them comfortable, feed them well and offer them a free place to stay forever,” one lady called out sarcastically.

“You are such a rubbish…You are a citizen of this country, but you are such an embarrassment for this world,” yelled another woman.

Police were ordered to stand by several members of the crowd to make sure tempers did not get out of control.

Some villagers held signs up saying “We are local residents, we will not ruin Phuket” and “We are Karon residents, we don’t welcome people from other provinces who cause trouble”.

To avoid potential violence, police sped along the process by having officers create “safe corridors” through the crowd and keeping the more vocal members close at hand.

Many of the locals also praised the police for catching the two suspects so quickly, some even broke into applause.

“Thank you for catching them, and thank you for keeping them off the streets,” one man shouted.

After the re-enactment had concluded, the signs were posted on to a prominent roadside wall near the hotel – as a deterrent to other criminals looking to operate in the area.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16277.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-26

Anybody there in Phuket who can confirm this ...???

I live in Rawai, Phuket, I didn't go to Kata Noi to gawk at this. What, are you doubting the primary news source for this entire series of threads about the crime?

What!!!

I think you have been reading too many old stories. Thai police have very skilled people at gaining confessions without the use of violence. Defendants are provided lawyers and like anywhere else, such a confession would be thrown out. The heaviest tactic police use now a day is simply going at questioning suspects for hours on end. Everyone is free to recant a confession and say it was coerced but the vast majority of people will admit their guilt if the police can simply convince them they have enough on them because they know it will be a huge reduction in the sentence. The people who tend to plead not guilty are the ones with little to lose who will likely face life or death regardless of their admission such as the suspected terrorists in Bangkok where if anybody was going to be tortured it would be them. Certainly are bad cops everywhere but torture is currently not the least bit of a common way to get a confession in Thailand ... in the war zone in the south, it may be a different story.

Oh come on Nisa. If the perpetrator confesses to the crime in Thailand they receive half the sentence they would for pleading not guilty and then being found guilty. Plus most don't have the money to afford a decent attorney. With good behavior some Thais convicted of murder are out in about six years...

Nisa has clarified his intent not to disparage Phuket, and apologized for his ignorance. For which much thanks. Let's close the matter there, shall we. We all make mistakes.

His ?? thought Nisa wa a She ....clap2.gif

Nisa has clarified his intent not to disparage Phuket, and apologized for his ignorance. For which much thanks. Let's close the matter there, shall we. We all make mistakes.

His ?? thought Nisa wa a She ....clap2.gif

I thought so too.

ZoomButt.gif

Edited by Jimi007

I am guessing you don't live in Phuket, since you couldn't spell it. Viset Road is the main road from the Chalong roundabout to Rawai. It is two lanes in either direction, but there is a concrete divider down the center for less than a kilometer near the roundabout. So, it is still two lanes in either direction... But he was out at 3:30 AM, after bars closed, so who knows what really happened.

What happened? He got stabbed that for sure!

And if the same days a 60 yo lady got murdered few km away for just 10 bucks, well well well its no more time for theory/conspiracy/apologist but time for action.

Edited by Bender

They are different and in this case the thai way has produced results.This has ruffled feathers and brought out the back home brigade on T V

The same people generally also enjoy the more lapsed side to Thailand when it suits.hence some would say being hypocritical.

As for the fact Thais can get houses etc in the west, how about visas on arrival ? why is this also not reciprocal etc etc

The only common denominator with countries is where ever you live there is good and bad people.

Finally anyone that believes the uk isn't corrupt or cannot be influenced by who you know or in this case who was murdered, is simply living with there head in the sand.Running large nightclubs in Uk taught me otherwise same BS higher price tag.

Thinking objectively and logically will get you nowhere here wink.png

What happened? He got stabbed that for sure!

And if the same days a 60 yo lady got murdered few km away for just 10 bucks, well well well its no more time for theory/conspiracy/apologist but time for action.

Why don't you read the article about it?

[

Why don't you read the article about it? http://www.thaivisa....abbing-emerges/

Because i didnt realize that another thread was covering this another criminal case, and found it bizarre that this case was never mentionned.

And of course, just realized, this thread was hidden in the sub-forum section phuket.

You dont expect me to read the whole forum, all thread everyday Jimi OO7.violin.gif

Edited by Bender

Are re-enactments really necessary ?!

Are re-enactments conducted in the USA or any of the EU countries, by the way ?

Some time but not often. However they are common place in a number of Asian countries. They not only help to support a confession but also help the police pick up on lies and inconsistencies. As a couple posters mentioned earlier regarding the picture of the suspect holding the knife ... it is very unlikely he would have held the knife this way if his intent was only to cut the purse stings as it seems he has indicated was his only intention.

Edit: In the US they usually do do a reenactment of the crime be it real or just on paper/computer but without the suspect for some of the same reasons as above. They also will often have in big cases an allocution after a defendant makes a deal to plead guilty where in court he/she will have to admit the specifics of the crime and what they did. It helps with closure and removes doubt of possible innocence.

Edited by Nisa

[

Why don't you read the article about it? http://www.thaivisa....abbing-emerges/

Because i didnt realize that another thread was covering this another criminal case, and found it bizarre that this case was never mentionned.

And of course, just realized, this thread was hidden in the sub-forum section phuket.

You dont expect me to read the whole forum, all thread everyday Jimi OO7.violin.gif

I don't expect anything from you. But if you want to be informed, I would expect you would have to read about it, since you mentioned it... There is most likely no relationship between the two cases, but I could be wrong, ;-) And what's up with the violin playing? jerk.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Edited by Jimi007

Thinking objectively and logically will get you nowhere here wink.png

This may be the very first time I am in complete agreement with Nisa........ :-)