Translation Services -- European Languages

falang07

Can I form a partnership (or even sole proprietorship) for providing services in the translation business? Only European languages, an area that should not be restricted since Thais can not provide this service (native speakers required). I would like to avoid the limited company way. Could I get a work permit for this? How much would it cost (approximately)?

This kind of business would fall under the Foreign Business Act and unless you are American and can apply for Amity, or apply for Boi or as the branch of foreign company it is not likely that you would be able to have majority foreign ownership.

It is also important to note that It is getting increasingly difficult to obtain a work permit on a sole proprietorship outside Bangkok and in Bangkok the Labor Office will not issue a work permit to a sole proprietorship or partnership at all. In Bangkok if you wish to obtain a work permit you must go the Limited Company route. And given that changes in policy do move to the provinces sooner rather than later, if you are not located in Bangkok you should consider setting up a Limited Company anyway as the policy is bound to change.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]