Shared Van From Phuket Airport

lannarose

Hi Folks!

I understand that there's a shared van service from Phuket Airport to Patong Beach. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting this service and long does it usually take to get from the airport to the beach (I know we need to wait for the van to fill up before it will depart)?

Thanks!

To Patong Beach about 1 hour to your final destination! 115 Bt if I remember correctly...

Thought it was more like 160 baht (maybe 180 baht) per person.

By heart: Kata 180, Patong 150 Baht pp. And yes, you'll have to wait till the van fills up, after which you'll probably be taken to a travel agent to sell accommodation and trips, and after that to the hotels of all people on board. For some reason it always seems like nobody is taken to the first hotel, everybody always seems to be in the last and final stop.

To Patong Beach about 1 hour to your final destination! 115 Bt if I remember correctly...

By heart: Kata 180, Patong 150 Baht pp. And yes, you'll have to wait till the van fills up, after which you'll probably be taken to a travel agent to sell accommodation and trips, and after that to the hotels of all people on board. For some reason it always seems like nobody is taken to the first hotel, everybody always seems to be in the last and final stop.

Are you sure of this Steve? I have never had this happen but I have only taken the van twice. My Thai now ex-gf took it a couple times and did not experience this. The van is usually at least half filled with Thais.

Also, what does your last sentence mean? I don't understand it.

Are you sure of this Steve? I have never had this happen but I have only taken the van twice. My Thai now ex-gf took it a couple times and did not experience this. The van is usually at least half filled with Thais.

Also, what does your last sentence mean? I don't understand it.

Yes, happens quite often. It shouldn't happen though, so good for you you have not experienced this.

"For some reason it always seems like nobody is taken to the first hotel, everybody always seems to be in the last and final stop."

Expect stevenl is trying to say that it always seems like you have to wait until the last stop. Everyone always seems to get off before you. That has been my experience in the few time I took the minibus, just never ending, and annoying as the bus looks like it going directly to your stop then the driver turns off somewhere else. I've never had these ' travel agent' stops that everyone talks about.

"For some reason it always seems like nobody is taken to the first hotel, everybody always seems to be in the last and final stop."

Expect stevenl is trying to say that it always seems like you have to wait until the last stop. Everyone always seems to get off before you. That has been my experience in the few time I took the minibus, just never ending, and annoying as the bus looks like it going directly to your stop then the driver turns off somewhere else. I've never had these ' travel agent' stops that everyone talks about.

Thanks, that is what I meant.

Good to hear that apparently the 'travel agent stops' don't happen as often as we are lead to believe.

But if you do get a travel agent stop (very likely despite above comments), don't believe anything they tell you! Your hotel/guesthouse is not closed, there are agents in Patong and other resorts where you can buy the same tour at a cheaper price. And if you have not booked any accommodation don't tell them as they will sell you something at twice the going rate.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the procedure if your doing it from patong to the Airport, price, how much time you have to allow for other pick up's and how late in the evening they run the service if your catching a 10-11pm flight

Does anyone know the procedure if your doing it from patong to the Airport, price, how much time you have to allow for other pick up's and how late in the evening they run the service if your catching a 10-11pm flight

For Christ's sake mate, get a cab. Black, pink, yellow or green, even blood red, who gives a flying <deleted> what colour when It's compared to a 20,000 baht airfare that you going to miss.

Get Real!

Edit:

I think this guy has popped his clogs, How can anybody answer this question with real authority and first hand experience jerk.gif

Edited by sportsman69

For Christ's sake mate, get a cab. Black, pink, yellow or green, even blood red, who gives a flying <deleted> what colour when It's compared to a 20,000 baht airfare that you going to miss.

Get Real!

Edit:

I think this guy has popped his clogs, How can anybody answer this question with real authority and first hand experience jerk.gif

Ah not so Mr sportman, more Mr angry, 20,000 for a flight to Bangkok, you flash bugger,private charters ah, mine 1050baht all in, so 600-700baht for a taxi relative to the distance, rather walk

So by your analogy, buy don't rent, 5000B instead of 1000B for the ladies, new, never second hand, champagne not beer, the real thing not vegimite!!!!, sunbeds no, raised in homage to the sun by elf's, tesco's never, commendere that charity plane and bring me my lunch on the back of blind orphans.

I asked the question in good faith for genuine back packers in a place i was eating.

You said "I think this guy has popped his clogs, How can anybody answer this question with real authority and first hand experience"

haven't popped my clogs but a couple of friends in the last weeks have, thanks for caring, the mini buses run every hour to the airport so i've found out, so you are saying nobody uses them, they are empty, No!!!, it's a legit service, always full, that many farang use.

But spend your money how you will, open the window and chuck it away. chuck, chuck, chuck, do it like a sportsman, 69 times, so thats how you get your name, ah ha

Edited by britpop

Get Real!

Edit:

Ah not so Mr sportman, more Mr angry, 20,000 for a flight to Bangkok, you flash bugger,private charters ah, mine 1050baht all in, so 600-700baht for a taxi relative to the distance, rather walk

So by your analogy, buy don't rent, 5000B instead of 1000B for the ladies, new, never second hand, champagne not beer, the real thing not vegimite!!!!, sunbeds no, raised in homage to the sun by elf's, tesco's never, commendere that charity plane and bring me my lunch on the back of blind orphans.

I asked the question in good faith for genuine back packers in a place i was eating.

You said "I think this guy has popped his clogs, How can anybody answer this question with real authority and first hand experience"

haven't popped my clogs but a couple of friends in the last weeks have, thanks for caring, the mini buses run every hour to the airport so i've found out, so you are saying nobody uses them, they are empty, No!!!, it's a legit service, always full, that many farang use.

But spend your money how you will, open the window and chuck it away. chuck, chuck, chuck, do it like a sportsman, 69 times, so thats how you get your name, ah ha

Do the minivans going from Patong to the airport still stop at an agency and try to sell you accommodation in Patong???? :) :) :) :) Or, maybe, one final suit, massage or gem on the way to the airport? :) :)

Britpop, how much were they saying it would cost to get to Phuket airport in the minivan, was it 160 as mentioned in a previous post? I have plenty of backpacker mates who will need this info when they visit me here. When they pay on average $3 - $7 per night in hostels around Asia, paying stupid prices for taxis is not an option. Cheers

Britpop, how much were they saying it would cost to get to Phuket airport in the minivan, was it 160 as mentioned in a previous post? I have plenty of backpacker mates who will need this info when they visit me here. When they pay on average $3 - $7 per night in hostels around Asia, paying stupid prices for taxis is not an option. Cheers

Hi, under 200 baht per person, maybe the 180 baht as you mentioned, it's more expensive going to the airport by mini bus then coming from the airport, i suggested to them if there's 3 or more people maybe a full taxi will work out cheaper per person.

I don't know if it's possible for back packers to get the bus to phuket town, costing next to nothing and from phuket town is there a local bus to the airport, worth asking !!!!!, now if any expat is saying, just pay for a taxi, they've never been a back packer

As I have stated before, transport costs more than a lot of accommodation here. For many, it's the greatest cost of their holiday here.

You mentioned backpackers, the high cost of transport is pushing them onto motorbikes, at 150 baht a day to rent. Inevitably, many of them have accidents.

As I have stated before, transport costs more than a lot of accommodation here. For many, it's the greatest cost of their holiday here.

You mentioned backpackers, the high cost of transport is pushing them onto motorbikes, at 150 baht a day to rent. Inevitably, many of them have accidents.

"As I have stated before transport costs more than a lot of accommodation here." Ad nauseam! What's the topic again? beatdeadhorse.gif

"As I have stated before transport costs more than a lot of accommodation here." Ad nauseam! What's the topic again? beatdeadhorse.gif

Just replying to the member that he is simply going to have to explain to his backpacker friends that transport is going to cost more than their transport on Phuket - something that many do not expect and only find out when they get here.

Well, I took the shared van to Patong from the airport. 150Bt. Ticket counters everywhere as you step out of the baggage claim area. Had to wait 30 min for the van to fill up. We stopped for about 15 min at their office for them to sort out who's going where as they didn't do this at the airport. They attempted to sell accommodation to those without hotel bookings or no idea where they were going. The journey from the time I got on the van to the time I was dropped off at my hotel was about 75 min. All in all not a bad experience.

Well, I took the shared van to Patong from the airport. 150Bt. Ticket counters everywhere as you step out of the baggage claim area. Had to wait 30 min for the van to fill up. We stopped for about 15 min at their office for them to sort out who's going where as they didn't do this at the airport. They attempted to sell accommodation to those without hotel bookings or no idea where they were going. The journey from the time I got on the van to the time I was dropped off at my hotel was about 75 min. All in all not a bad experience.

[........] All in all not a bad experience. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones.

If it were me I wouldn't call it a good one for a 20 minute trip.

[........] We stopped for about 15 min at their office for them to sort out who's going where as they didn't do this at the airport.

Pretty simple logistics, why not ? Let me guess, all part of the F.../U falang factor.

Sounds like an abbreviated 1/2 day tour. Did they provide lunch ? How long did it take to get the whole circus organized from the time you got to the counter ? Patong's one thing, but to get to Rawai / Nai Harn sounds like an overnighter.

Me. I'm quite happy to get on the light rail link almost to my front door. Mind you there'll be some stiff competition when they get that tunnel open.

Lighten up everybody, Transport problem ?? Nah. no transport, no problem. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by sportsman69

[........] All in all not a bad experience. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones.

If it were me I wouldn't call it a good one for a 20 minute trip.

[........] We stopped for about 15 min at their office for them to sort out who's going where as they didn't do this at the airport.

Pretty simple logistics, why not ? Let me guess, all part of the F.../U falang factor.

Sounds like an abbreviated 1/2 day tour. Did they provide lunch ? How long did it take to get the whole circus organized from the time you got to the counter ? Patong's one thing, but to get to Rawai / Nai Harn sounds like an overnighter.

Me. I'm quite happy to get on the light rail link almost to my front door. Mind you there'll be some stiff competition when they get that tunnel open.

Lighten up everybody, Transport problem ?? Nah. no transport, no problem. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The shared minivans don't go to Rawai/Nai Harn, only Patong, Karon, Kata and Phuket Town.

Oh, and please don't complain about minivan's driving habits here in your next post since you think 20 minutes is a standard time between airport and Patong.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

3 english pounds for a 45 minute trip from an international airport to your choice of hotel and yet loads of people still moan! what more do u want?

somebody tell me where in the world u will get this cheap and amazing service.

and for the record they stop once at their agency for about 5 -10 mins to get everybodys hotel address.(how else would they know where to take you?)

and if u dont have a hotel they can book one for u also.

honestly some people on this forum always want to see the bad in everything.

3 english pounds for a 45 minute trip from an international airport to your choice of hotel and yet loads of people still moan! what more do u want?

and for the record they stop once at their agency for about 5 -10 mins to get everybodys hotel address.(how else would they know where to take you?)

I don't think anyone is complaining about the 150 (whatever) baht price. And you tell the desk what hotel or road you want to go, the 'agency' stop is just a scam to sell a hotel room or tour. The complaint is that it the stop adds a lot to the time to get from airport to hotel/home. Thus the 45+ minute trip takes well over an hour. I know, I've taken the mini bus plenty of times. By the time you wait for the bus to fill up and if you are the last to be dropped off it can easily take nearly 2 hours.

'somebody tell me where in the world u will get this cheap and amazing service.'

Ahh there is this little town called Bangkok, its just north of Phuket. And 150 baht will get you from the Airport to your hotel room, no need for a shared minivan

This really is a good post and if alone it has to be better than paying 800bht for a cab to Patong. So it may take upto 45 mins than a straight cab that's 600bht for drinks not sure how many vodkas that would get me as this will be my first trip but am sure I could get one or two with something to eat with that saving ?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the 150 (whatever) baht price. And you tell the desk what hotel or road you want to go, the 'agency' stop is just a scam to sell a hotel room or tour. The complaint is that it the stop adds a lot to the time to get from airport to hotel/home. Thus the 45+ minute trip takes well over an hour. I know, I've taken the mini bus plenty of times. By the time you wait for the bus to fill up and if you are the last to be dropped off it can easily take nearly 2 hours.

A wee bit more for the OP. When I last used the MV’s (Bt150 pp) enroute to Patong, I left with 5 other vans filled to the brim with grinning greenhorns. The scam stop is about 15 minutes from the airport and the vans are unloaded and the mugs are led into the shop for the sales pitch. I knew the story from numerous visits and proceeded to sit there wearing a face like a sullen 5 year old child and refused to answer any questions, mainly due to nursing a mother of a hangover from my last night in Bangkok. That aside, my note to the OP and his familiars is that should you arrive in a motorcade of MV’s, make a note of the van you got out off as your luggage will be in that one. I staggered back into the wrong one and it took a minute or so to realise that I was surrounded by corpulent Hermans’ and not the family from Hong Kong that I’d started out with. The MV’s that go to Patong generally scoot around the berg quite quickly, which may point to maybe the only positive element of having a yaba’d up maniac at the wheel – they don’t hang around. Your first ‘fair ground’ white-knuckle ride up and down Patong Hill is worth the fee in itself.

This really is a good post and if alone it has to be better than paying 800bht for a cab to Patong. So it may take upto 45 mins than a straight cab that's 600bht for drinks not sure how many vodkas that would get me as this will be my first trip but am sure I could get one or two with something to eat with that saving ?

Well the tip is, share a cab with someone you meet on the plane 400 baht each, and get 10 roadies from the 7-11 for about 40 baht each, everyones a winner