New Years Eve Tips

mcyachty

Hi all,

I have my mum and sister coming to Thailand to visit me. I am considering taking them up to Chiang Mai (I live in Pattaya - enough said) to celebrate new years eve.

Can I ask you Chiang Mians your expert opinion and can I please ask you to include how cold it gets up there late December?

Thanks all!

Best place to go in Chiang Mai, New Years Eve is Thapae Gate and join in with the thousands of Thai's, it's really good fun for people of all ages, the Thai's really know how to celebrate and you will be most welcome. There are loads of small bars and restaurants on the way, that you can duck in and out of for a cold one or a bite to eat. Of course some people prefer just sitting in one place all night, but that's a bit boring for NYE.

IMO if you wear just shorts and a T shirt, I think you'll be sorry, it gets quite nippy at night / early am.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

According to the TMD - http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?StationNumber=48327 - average highs in Dec are 28° with lows of 15°, although in recent years the afternoon highs are usually warmer and there are fewer nights that cold.

If your from Pattaya, you'll be cold. If they're from the UK, they'll find it comfortably warm.

• Like 1

Best place to go in Chiang Mai, New Years Eve is Thapae Gate and join in with the thousands of Thai's, it's really good fun for people of all ages, the Thai's really know how to celebrate and you will be most welcome. There are loads of small bars and restaurants on the way, that you can duck in and out of for a cold one or a bite to eat. Of course some people prefer just sitting in one place all night, but that's a bit boring for NYE.

IMO if you wear just shorts and a T shirt, I think you'll be sorry, it gets quite nippy at night / early am.

for once, I concur 100%

It also depends on your interests; couples who are the Bangkok-office-type may prefer something a bit up-scale in the Nimmanhaemin Area. A good mix of everyone else prefers the more down to earth and more Khao-San-Rd like atmoshphere of Zoe in Yellow (and other bars in that area). Thapae Gate is always a good focal point, as are bars in the area.

include how cold it gets
probably bring light jackets as sometime it's not cold at all. But I would personally book the flight from BKK to CNX way in advance.

+1 on booking flights early.

Thank you all for your quick responses. It is really appreciated.

I have to take onto account my mum is 75 but very agile and my niece will be 15 months. My wife and sister 36 and me 45 so we will be fine.

We are all Aussies so the 15 degrees will be cold. As I live in Pattaya I don't own a jacket. Might have to get one out of storage in Sydney and get it brought up.

Your right about the fares. Crikey, they are already up for New Years. Thinking now possibly Bangkok riverside for new year and come up there after. I really want to show them Doi Suthep and the summer palace.

Nah, in the city you won't need an actual jacket. Just anything with long sleeves will do, with a T-shirt or something else underneath. Then add alcohol as needed until comfortable temperature reached. ;) Also you can buy a cheap sweater or fleece everywhere in Chiang Mai, if needed. The cold season in the North largely happens in 'cold spells' when the temperature really drops to a level where you would need a light jacket. However you never know exactly when those happen; they can happen anywhere during December and January, or even the first part of February. If it will be cold around NY Eve is anyone's guess. If it is, just pick up a sweater. Of course, if you will be going out of town and up mountains, or if you will be riding a motorbike then you will need something warm no matter what.

Nah, in the city you won't need an actual jacket. Just anything with long sleeves will do, with a T-shirt or something else underneath. Then add alco

Nah, in the city you won't need an actual jacket. Just anything with long sleeves will do, with a T-shirt or something else underneath. Then add alcohol as needed until comfortable temperature reached. wink.png Also you can buy a cheap sweater or fleece everywhere in Chiang Mai, if needed. The cold season in the North largely happens in 'cold spells' when the temperature really drops to a level where you would need a light jacket. However you never know exactly when those happen; they can happen anywhere during December and January, or even the first part of February. If it will be cold around NY Eve is anyone's guess. If it is, just pick up a sweater. Of course, if you will be going out of town and up mountains, or if you will be riding a motorbike then you will need something warm no matter what.

wink.png Also you can buy a cheap sweater or fleece everywhere in Chiang Mai, if needed. The cold season in the North largely happens in 'cold spells' when the temperature really drops to a level where you would need a light jacket. However you never know exactly when those happen; they can happen anywhere during December and January, or even the first part of February. If it will be cold around NY Eve is anyone's guess. If it is, just pick up a sweater. Of course, if you will be going out of town and up mountains, or if you will be riding a motorbike then you will need something warm no matter what.

WTK

"Then add alcohol as needed until comfortable temperature."

How much is needed to make a 15 month old baby warm. I forget as it has been over 40 years since I had a 15 month old baby and I am pretty sure I fond anther way.

As for the parents they might not need any thing other than a pair of shorts and a Tee shirt tying to keep a 15 month old baby under control. That of course depends where you are.whistling.gif

Nah, in the city you won't need an actual jacket. Just anything with long sleeves will do, with a T-shirt or something else underneath. Then add alco

Nah, in the city you won't need an actual jacket. Just anything with long sleeves will do, with a T-shirt or something else underneath. Then add alcohol as needed until comfortable temperature reached. wink.png Also you can buy a cheap sweater or fleece everywhere in Chiang Mai, if needed. The cold season in the North largely happens in 'cold spells' when the temperature really drops to a level where you would need a light jacket. However you never know exactly when those happen; they can happen anywhere during December and January, or even the first part of February. If it will be cold around NY Eve is anyone's guess. If it is, just pick up a sweater. Of course, if you will be going out of town and up mountains, or if you will be riding a motorbike then you will need something warm no matter what.

wink.png Also you can buy a cheap sweater or fleece everywhere in Chiang Mai, if needed. The cold season in the North largely happens in 'cold spells' when the temperature really drops to a level where you would need a light jacket. However you never know exactly when those happen; they can happen anywhere during December and January, or even the first part of February. If it will be cold around NY Eve is anyone's guess. If it is, just pick up a sweater. Of course, if you will be going out of town and up mountains, or if you will be riding a motorbike then you will need something warm no matter what.

WTK

How much is needed to make a 15 month old baby warm. I forget as it has been over 40 years since I had a 15 month old baby and I am pretty sure I fond anther way.

Only in Thailand do they dress up 1 year and 3 month kids up for a polar expedition when temperatures go below 18 degrees. ;) In all seriousness it may be worth worrying more about coping with high temperatures during the day, keep him/her out of the sun, etc. Also in the cool season some days go up to 30, or very close to that. Then when active in the sun, some care must be taken. But yeah, give the kid a little summer jacket in the evenings.

Around the New Year, in a crowd, even an outdoors crowd, a t-shirt is enough. However it can get chilly, and sometimes quite cold, on a motorbike or in a tuk-tuk at night or in the early morning. Definitely bring something warm for the child; adults can decide for themselves what is required.

WTK

Only in Thailand do they dress up 1 year and 3 month kids up for a polar expedition when temperatures go below 18 degrees. wink.png In all seriousness it may be worth worrying more about coping with high temperatures during the day, keep him/her out of the sun, etc. Also in the cool season some days go up to 30, or very close to that. Then when active in the sun, some care must be taken. But yeah, give the kid a little summer jacket in the evenings.

I am out some times in the mornings that time of the year in a Tuk Tuk and at 8:30 it can be a bit nippy. Seems like it dosen't start to warm up until about 10:00.

Not that interested in the adults but the child should have clothes for warm or cold probably good for grandma too.