Buying Insurance In Thailand Versus Your Home Country

ChenMatt

hi all, need some advice here.

currently i am covered under my insurance provider which is semi government owned. I have term insurance, hospital insurance and also life insurance (critical illness). i am aso covered by my company for visits to the clinics.

I feel that my coverage is sufficient but I am told that if I incur any costs in thailand (like a hospital stay), i need to pay first and reimburse with my insurance provider in my country.

do you think i need to purchase addtional insurance in thailand? i dont think cigna or bupa is cheap but if i do purchase them, wont the coverage overlap those i currently have now and be a waste of premiums?

what do you guys do if you already have a comprehensive insurance plan in your own countries?

thanks much.

It depends on a number of factors.

1. The level of coverage provided by your current insurer. Is it sufficient and comprehensive enough?

2. Will the current policy renew if you are permanently based in Thailand?

3. Your age. Insurance for the elderly is often prohibitively expensive or quite simply unavailable.

4. Do you have any pre-existing conditions that might be covered under your existing policy. They would probably be excluded under a new policy.

5. Are you likely to remain in Thailand or anywhere outside your home country for the long term?

There are a number of policies available in Thailand and do a search on here for more information if you decide to move to a local policy. But think about it carefully and don't waste your money getting dual coverage as you can only claim once!

Since they won't pay directly to a hospital in Thailand, if you are planning to stay here for a few years, I suggest that you buy low cost local coverage to supplement your coverage back home. This is what many people do who come to Thailand from countries that provide health insurance.

Edited by tonydabbs