European Conmen Arrested In US$10 Million Thai Scam

webfact

So you find it acceptable to relieve vulnerable pensioners of their life savings?

How do you know they were targeting pensioners?

More "barstool" wisdom there. You've been reading too much Stickman....

Does it matter if they're pensioners. Victims were relieved off $10,000,000. That's hard at any age.

• Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a perennial in Thailand, like the jewellery scam, so don't expect anything to change despite papa Chalerm's "crackdowns". More than twenty years ago I remember being at a loose end job wise and answering an ad in the BP. I fetched up at an office on Silom where a very repulsive tatted and pumped forty-something-ish American with bad manners and worse breath gave me the speil.about how much I could earn. Needless to say at the beginning the job was presented to prospective employees as legitimate, though it was clear immediately to anyone with half a brain what the scam was - they were looking for people with the ability to suspend first their belief, and later their morals.

And, in which country is this not perennial?

So you find it acceptable to relieve vulnerable pensioners of their life savings?

Does it matter if they're pensioners. Victims were relieved off $10,000,000. That's hard at any age.

At my age I'd be happy if it were hard.
  • Like 1

Well there's medicine for that now.

It's not as if they're going to jail for any longer than it takes to throw 'em outta Thailand for working illegally so let's not get carried away here.

I've heard of people being thrown out and walking back into the country in the time it takes to get a new tourist visa.

You can see these types larging it at any number of upscale, farang-oriented bars & clubs in BKK. Just look for braying, shaven-headed poseurs in slacks and work-shirts around a table with a big bottle of Grey Goose. There'll usually be a gaggle of freelancers gyrating nearby too.

Very true.

Meanwhile, police arrested a Liberian national and a Guinea national for duping an American into buying a magic potion for Bt147,000, which could allegedly turn US dollar bills of a lower denomination into $100 bills

This one just takes the cake.

Talk about stupid.

Hasn't anyone ever heard of working to make money ?

It would indeed be a ground breaking move that if in conjunction with the pursuit of scammers of non Thai origin the police and the relevant authorities also targeted the local indigenous population and their involvement in scams too.

Politicians, police personnel, Tuk Tuk drivers and taxi drivers with vested interests in assorted dubious schemes, jet ski operators local government officials, the list is endless.

Spring cleaning and infestation exterminating moves should start at home then spread to the outside influences.

Perhaps though the, '' assurance premiums, '' paid to other interested officials ensures domestic scammers that the sanitation of their activities is indeed unlikely to happen.

The cleaning operation should start at home put your own house in order at the same time as tidying up the garden or wait until your own house is clean prior to trying to clean up the garden..

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

They're only "victims" of their own greed and stupidity.

Anyone who gives brass to some anonymous bloke who just calls you out of the blue deserves little sympathy...

My thoughts... Exactly!

So do you think that the 15 con men were jack the lad opportunists and the victims fair game?

BKK is a Mecca for Dodgy Brits

So is London....

I can't understand the bile here. It's not as though they've hurt anyone.

This is just another excuse for the TV membership to rant on about how holy and upstanding they are....

Really.

Not hurt anyone ?

What if it had been you that they stole money from ?

More sleazy falang cleansed from from the LOS.

jerk.gif YEY clap2.gif

...and I suppose you came here for the culture....

Really.

Not hurt anyone ?

What if it had been you that they stole money from ?

Frankly, I'm not dumb enough to get scammed. If these lads had been physically mugging people I could understand the bile. They haven't. They've just been scamming the greedy and the stupid of the world...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

P.S. Better living through chemistry !

• Like 1

More scum to fill up Thai jails. Don't know how many foreigners are in jail here but it must be a good few thousand.

And I for one will not be satisfied until they have all of these scammers behind bars.

I am also placing considerable trust in the SFO in the UK, and will be very happy to see everyone involved in the banking scandal behind bars there too, starting with Bob Diamond...!

Edited by GeorgeO

When I saw this I was hoping Brits were not involved but sadly 6 are. At least a couple of Americans and other types of Farangs are too...So that's good news.

So Brits are not the only Farang criminals you might be surprised to know. All manner of Farangs can be dishonest too. So, there you go.

Only 6 Brits out of 15 is quite good....Seriously. BKK is a Mecca for Dodgy Brits and other Dodgy Farangs too.

Brits just have organizing skills that make them more visible when they get caught you see...

Clever those Dodgy Brits...Bless 'em. Hearts of Gold they have. Just be dead careful though. wink.png

My "Google Translate" is having trouble with this above!

Is this the office that was raided in Sukhummvit then?!

Remember the kids' programme, Rainbow? With teddy and Brian Cant?

These guys were fans of Brian Cant, called the "Cants"......

Hope they drop dead with shock, like Bill and Ben, when Andy Pandy came out to play! wink.png

-m.

Wrong.

Brian Can was never in Rainbow. He was, however, in Play School.

Is this the office that was raided in Sukhummvit then?!

Sukhumvit Suites Soi 13 - a very interesting development - but they missed one one above. Not sure if there is method in their madness. Most of those arrested in earlier raids have been deported and blacklisted. (Apart from the one who died in the IDC) Any boiler room boy now faces instant blacking from Thailand (with 'barely' a court appearance at Bangkok South Criminal Court) and seems Thonglor and Lumpini and their own Immmigration men are no longer in control. But so far no bosses. As this is the third raid in four-five weeks we may assume a massive leak.

Edited by flyingsporran

The "magic potion" con has been going on for sometime, although it is not usually referred to as "magic," but rather a technological advance which has been stolen from the US treasury. The stories change, but still, it works against someone who is willing to cheat the US government.

The other one, depending on how it is presented, can be taken to be a legitimate investment. There are investments which can return those figures, albeit being very risky. Some commodities, for example, have that potential, although they have the potential to lose 65% as well. While the rises and falls of commodities are usually much less severe, they can reach higher numbers. And if the investor understands the risk, then there is nothing wrong with this.

I don't know anything about this particular case, but if the conmen were presenting legitimate, if highly speculative investment opportunities, but then keeping the money, this is a simple con, and the only "fault" of the investors would be that they may not have done enough due diligence in checking out this "company." I think some of you are being rather harsh on the investors who were duped.

I am continually amazed at the Thailand hater brigade every time a farang led scam hits the news - make a note of that – a farang led scam. The chorus of noise makers accuse everything Thai of being at the center of universal crime and non-punishment. Reading a little international news and gaining perspective might be a help some of you. IE: Libor out of London, with the help of banks all over the world, manipulated interest rates on over 800 trillion US in money markets (that's right 800 plus 12 zeros). US banks and traders on Wall Street worked up the sub-prime mortgage sacm and tore the world's economy to shreds while pocketing billions. But here we have a scam suckering a relatively small handful of greedy dimwits with ridiculous promises and the Thai haters pop up and declare Thailand corrupt. Perspective folks, perspective. BTW – if you don't like it here, go home to your own corrupt system, maybe you'll be happier there.

The "magic potion" con has been going on for sometime, although it is not usually referred to as "magic," but rather a technological advance which has been stolen from the US treasury. The stories change, but still, it works against someone who is willing to cheat the US government.

The other one, depending on how it is presented, can be taken to be a legitimate investment. There are investments which can return those figures, albeit being very risky. Some commodities, for example, have that potential, although they have the potential to lose 65% as well. While the rises and falls of commodities are usually much less severe, they can reach higher numbers. And if the investor understands the risk, then there is nothing wrong with this.

I don't know anything about this particular case, but if the conmen were presenting legitimate, if highly speculative investment opportunities, but then keeping the money, this is a simple con, and the only "fault" of the investors would be that they may not have done enough due diligence in checking out this "company." I think some of you are being rather harsh on the investors who were duped.

None of the ventures have any hope of succeeding. That is the point. The one's that do exist are manipulated. You might even initially appear to be making money.