PM Yingluck: Eurozone Debt Crisis Will Not Affect Thailand

webfact

PM Yingluck: Eurozone debt crisis will not affect Thailand

BANGKOK, 7 July 2012 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has assured the country that the Eurozone debt crisis will not have any serious impact on local economy, with the government keeping a close eye on the situation.

During the weekly “Yingluck Government Meets the People” show, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that as the government has been closely watching the crisis in Europe, the public should not be worried about any fallout and all investments should continue uninterrupted.

PM Yingluck stated that, despite last year’s severe flood crisis, Thai exports still managed to grow, although not with a high rate, with the government’s fiscal position and liquidity remaining sound.

She added that, with the latest report suggested more than 300,000 potential employers are now out of job, the government is to make an assessment of the situation and the number of newly graduates before a solution can be identified.

Regarding the problems faced by Thai investors in Europe, the Premier said that possible solutions include a cutback in inventory, for which the Commerce Ministry has been assigned to lend help to business operators in need, particularly those from the jewelry and the textile sectors.

The Prime Minister reiterated that the government will maintain this year’s export growth target at 15 percent.

Lastly, the PM said that a working committee has been set up to monitor any possible fallout from the problems in Europe and to help those already hit by the crisis as well as to find new markets to offset the shrinking sales.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-07 footer_n.gif

During the weekly “Yingluck Government Meets the People” show, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that as the government has been closely watching the crisis in Europe, the public should not be worried about any fallout

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Well it is out of my field but just seems funny that the government is going to prop up some bushiness when they are figuring on a 15% growth rate in exports. Is she saying that the domestic market will be going down? I don't know not my field.

All I know is that with all this good news she has I can buy more with my Canadian money.smile.png

• Like 1

PM urges public not to panic, affirms Thailand can handle Europe's debt crisis

image_201207071057265F95C3E9-CBD0-1B4B-A10A148B2F02051C.jpg

BANGKOK, July 7 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday urged the Thai public and private sector not to panic or halt investments due to Europe's debt crisis, for she was certain the government could deal with the issue.

The premier spoke during “Yingluck Government Meets the People,” her weekly talk show on state-run television Channel 11.

Panicking as a response to the situation will worsen the Thai economy, she noted. Her administration is ready to launch contingency measures in case of negative scenarios.

She advised Thai entrepreneurs that have businesses in some European countries to reduce their stocks there or look for new markets. The Commerce Ministry is available to provide advice to affected entrepreneurs, she said, while committees are to be set up to monitor and manage likely urgent problems from the eurozone debt crisis.

Ms Yingluck said the Thai economy remains fundamentally strong. Several sectors, such as industrial products, tourism, and agriculture, have seen positive growth, although not very high, as the country has just recovered from last year's flood.

Concerning the country's unemployment rate of over 300,000 persons, the premier said her government has invited relevant persons to discuss the matter and see if the production of labour has occurred according to demand. The employment ratio and the numbers of new graduates are to be analysed for evaluation and finding further solutions, she noted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-07

"During the weekly “Yingluck Government Meets the People” show, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that as the government has been closely watching the crisis in Europe, the public should not be worried about any fallout and all investments should continue uninterrupted."

Didn't they closely watch the flood crisis last year? And we see how will that worked out. It's like watching a replay of the same football match ten times and hoping the outcome changes.

"Lastly, the PM said that a working committee has been set up to monitor any possible fallout from the problems in Europe and to help those already hit by the crisis as well as to find new markets to offset the shrinking sales."

And where are these new markets? If there were new markets, they would have been targeted as soon as Vietnam and other southeast Asian countries started chipping away at Thailand's share of already existing markets.

Pro active does not seem to be a term they are familiar with here but setting up committees so some buddies can collect a nice monthly stipend is very popular.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

Sorry to be slightly off topic. My memory may fail me, but wasn't this "weekly “Yingluck Government Meets the People” show" named "Saturday with the PM" or something similar? Mind you with her being 'absent' a lot a name change would make sense.

• Like 1

300,000 potential employers are now out of job
If 300,000 employers are out of a job, how many millions of employees aren't working?

I guess if you are selling on the street, then you are working never mind that you make near nothing.

Funny how, according to the Thai government, nothing affects Thailand except opposition. Good explanation as to why JJ, Silom, and all of BKK are empty lately. But oh yeah, tourism is posting growth?

• Like 1

How wonderful to have someone at the country's helm who - due to her many years of active senior executive level experience in one of the largest telecom firms in the country - really does understand global market forces like no-one else.

The euro zone crisis cannot possibly affect Thailand, except: as the value of the euro exchange rate vs. THB continues to slump, imports from Thailand will become more expensive and European importers will look for alternatives; accordingly, a vacation in Thailand also will become more expensive, thus unaffordable for many Europeans.

But as long as Mrs. PM assures everyone that all is fine, nothing has to be worried about.

Meanwhile, all European investment projects in Thailand will continue uninterrupted. NOT ONE European investor might have second thoughts.

So let's all celebrate (and continue sticking our heads in the sand). As the euro zone crisis is going to more or less affect countries worldwide, Thailand is safe! If Mrs. PM says that, it is almost like a magic spell.

• Like 1

"She advised Thai entrepreneurs that have businesses in some European countries to reduce their stocks there or look for new markets... The Commerce Ministry is available to provide advice to affected entrepreneurs, she said, while committees are to be set up to monitor and manage likely urgent problems from the eurozone debt crisis."

and

"not to panic"

Sounds like panic-ridden advice to me.

Don't panic, Mr. Mainwaring!

Sent from my Flying Pigs phone, using optional tin cans and string.

• Like 1

She is totally mad !!!!

She's just stupid. She sucks at being a PM, but at least she is good at sticking her foot in her mouth on a daily basis..a little competition with Chalerm.

I wouldn't say she is stupid, just hopelessy out of her depth. She does her best but everybody knows she is just a figurehead, not a politician, and what she needs is a strong 'guardian' to guide her through the cesspit of Thai politics. Unfortunately she has been surrounded by assorted sychophants and incompetents not selected for their political ability either and the whole show is masterminded by a third hand several time zones way.

• Like 1

"Lastly, the PM said that a working committee has been set up to monitor any possible fallout from the problems in Europe."

You know what? I'll give her credit where credit is due. She should be in the Guiness Book of Records for being the PM who set up the most committees to do her job, in the shortest possible time.

I know now why she never goes to the Houses of Parliament. She's at home goolging.

She spends every spare moment googling this site: http://suite101.com/article/how-to-set-up-an-event-committee-a163600

And she does, of course, do it in a hotel suite, namely room 101 ! cheesy.gif

-mel. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

"Lastly, the PM said that a working committee has been set up to monitor any possible fallout from the problems in Europe."

You know what? I'll give her credit where credit is due. She should be in the Guiness Book of Records for being the PM who set up the most committees to do her job, in the shortest possible time.

I know now why she never goes to the Houses of Parliament. She's at home goolging.

She spends every spare moment googling this site: http://suite101.com/...mmittee-a163600

-mel. rolleyes.gif

It takes two to quango I'm told rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

PM urges public not to panic, affirms Thailand can handle Europe's debt crisis

image_201207071057265F95C3E9-CBD0-1B4B-A10A148B2F02051C.jpg

BANGKOK, July 7 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday urged the Thai public and private sector not to panic or halt investments due to Europe's debt crisis, for she was certain the government could deal with the issue.

The premier spoke during “Yingluck Government Meets the People,” her weekly talk show on state-run television Channel 11.

Panicking as a response to the situation will worsen the Thai economy, she noted. Her administration is ready to launch contingency measures in case of negative scenarios.

She advised Thai entrepreneurs that have businesses in some European countries to reduce their stocks there or look for new markets. The Commerce Ministry is available to provide advice to affected entrepreneurs, she said, while committees are to be set up to monitor and manage likely urgent problems from the eurozone debt crisis.

Ms Yingluck said the Thai economy remains fundamentally strong. Several sectors, such as industrial products, tourism, and agriculture, have seen positive growth, although not very high, as the country has just recovered from last year's flood.

Concerning the country's unemployment rate of over 300,000 persons, the premier said her government has invited relevant persons to discuss the matter and see if the production of labour has occurred according to demand. The employment ratio and the numbers of new graduates are to be analysed for evaluation and finding further solutions, she noted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-07

Europe can barely handle it, but Thailand can...?

Yep, Pigs Fly over the Brooklyn Bridge,

that I just sold her for blankets and trinkets.

She spends every spare moment googling this site: http://suite101.com/...mmittee-a163600

-mel. rolleyes.gif

It takes two to quango I'm told rolleyes.gif

Yes, Minister!

No idea of what she is talking about. Cannot believe that her advisers allow her to make speeches like this. It is embarrassing to read and does nothing to boost confidence in this government. They are living in cloud cuckoo land if they believe this utter nonsense.

• Sad 1