Best Internet Provider On Samui

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So it look like 3BB would be my best option i Plai Laem.

Next question, where is their office?!

Thanks again

I would ask around close to where you live, find out what other people are using and if they are happy. It seems to me that some areas are better served by ToT while others 3bb. Get as much info as you can before signing up for a year. I couldn't check with locals because there was no internet around me, 3bb won out when I spoke to various friends so I went to them first and was told no so I went to ToT and was also told no. Next course of action was a bribe (as you do) so I offered it to 3bb first which was accepted. If I had gone to ToT first they may well have also accepted.

3 years ago non Thai's had to pay the year up front but this may have changed. Mine is in the name of a close Thai friend but I still pay year by year.

I live in Plai Laem and am very happy with 3BB, sine a few years already.

There was a thread some time back where posters in a certain area said their 3bb was very bad. Can't remember where the area was though. I imagine it was either a long way to the nearest cabinet or the cabinet was old. Not age related as such but it may have been an older model which was not designed to handle a high level of traffic or high bandwidth. All speculation but the cabinet I'm connected to by the old market looks to be pretty new.

Quote from Notmyself, "All speculation but the cabinet I'm connected to by the old market looks to be pretty new."

You have lost me on this.... or taking lessons from errmmm dare I mention who..??? .wink.png .

I guess you are not yourself today.....biggrin.png

Quote from Notmyself, "All speculation but the cabinet I'm connected to by the old market looks to be pretty new."

You have lost me on this.... or taking lessons from errmmm dare I mention who..??? .wink.png .

This is being rolled out on Samui.

Fibre to the x (FTTx) is a generic term for any broadband network architecture using optical fibre to replace all or part of the usual metal local loop used for last mile telecommunications. The generic term was initially a generalization for several configurations of fibre deployment (FTTN, FTTC, FTTB, FTTH...), all starting by FTT but differentiated by the last letter, which is substituted by an x in the generalization.

[...]

FTTN - Fibre-to-the-node - fibre is terminated in a street cabinet up to several kilometres away from the customer premises, with the final connection being copper. Fibre-to-the-node is often seen as an interim step towards full FTTH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

Seems likely that some of the nodes or cabinets are still connected to an exchange by copper which is going to be pushed to the limit. If someone happens to be in an area where fibre is yet to reach then speeds and or traffic could be an issue.

Fibre to the x (FTTx) is a generic term for any broadband network architecture using optical fibre to replace all or part of the usual metal local loop used for last mile telecommunications. The generic term was initially a generalization for several configurations of fibre deployment (FTTN, FTTC, FTTB, FTTH...), all starting by FTT but differentiated by the last letter, which is substituted by an x in the generalization.

[...]

FTTN - Fibre-to-the-node - fibre is terminated in a street cabinet up to several kilometres away from the customer premises, with the final connection being copper. Fibre-to-the-node is often seen as an interim step towards full FTTH.

http://en.wikipedia..../Fiber_to_the_x

Seems likely that some of the nodes or cabinets are still connected to an exchange by copper which is going to be pushed to the limit. If someone happens to be in an area where fibre is yet to reach then speeds and or traffic could be an issue.

I think I will sleep on this, and see if I can digest that!!!!! biggrin.pngblink.png

• Like 1

[...]

whislt you are on.

What are your views on global warming smile.png

whislt you are on.

lol

[...]

whislt you are on.

lol

[...]

I suspect that this is 'being rolled out' on some parts of Samui. (I cannot get Samui Cable TV in the part of Plai Laem where I live.)

and I do not believe much that Wikipedia puts out - it is updated by people like us!!!!! whistling.gif and if you look at

http://en.wikipedia....ners_by_airline - the last plane crash by Nok Air was in 2006 and that's not correct. ermm.gif

So it look like 3BB would be my best option i Plai Laem.

Next question, where is their office?!

Thanks again

I would ask around close to where you live, find out what other people are using and if they are happy. It seems to me that some areas are better served by ToT while others 3bb. Get as much info as you can before signing up for a year. I couldn't check with locals because there was no internet around me, 3bb won out when I spoke to various friends so I went to them first and was told no so I went to ToT and was also told no. Next course of action was a bribe (as you do) so I offered it to 3bb first which was accepted. If I had gone to ToT first they may well have also accepted.

3 years ago non Thai's had to pay the year up front but this may have changed. Mine is in the name of a close Thai friend but I still pay year by year.

I and three of my neighbours are more than happy with 3BB here in Plai Laem and we are at the very end of the lines! (One neighbour has even cancelled his TOT contract). We all live in Plae Laem.

Mind you, a friend of mine who uses my wireless network did say that it dropped out twice yesterday. TOT dropped out a lot more.

TOT is behaving like a dog at the moment here. I have both - TOT is now the back-up.

I signed up another account with 3BB yesterday, and I did not have to pay a full year. Be aware - and 3BB make this quite clear - if you do not pay the full year - there are penalties if you cancel. Pay the full year and there are no penalties. They have a brochure in English with everything written down.

All I had to show was my passport. I took along my work permit and housebook, but they did not want them. Passport and the fee is fine.

[...]

I suspect that this is 'being rolled out' on some parts of Samui. (I cannot get Samui Cable TV in the part of Plai Laem where I live.)

and I do not believe much that Wikipedia puts out - it is updated by people like us!!!!! whistling.gif and if you look at

http://en.wikipedia....ners_by_airline - the last plane crash by Nok Air was in 2006 and that's not correct. ermm.gif

The wiki link was just to explain my usage of the work 'cabinet', doesn't say anything about Samui. Chances are the more populous areas are going to completed first for one reason which springs to mind.

A few people I have spoken to (some while back) have not been able to get a wired connection. The local cabinet was simply full so either another cabinet is would be needed along with another line to the exchange. Cheaper and more future proof to run fibre and replace the existing cabinet with a newer model which can handle a much larger number of connections. 3bb (or ToT) then have more lines to rent out and gain revenue. They can also offer higher bandwidth which brings in larger rental along with being able to offer people FTTD in the near future. The areas which have fewer people miss out for a while because the potential customer base is smaller resulting in a longer period of time before reclaiming the investment back. This is what has happened in the UK with rural areas having very poor speed bacause ISPs are unwilling to spend the money to upgrade for half a dozen out of the way homes. The UK government has told the various ISPs that they have to upgrade rural areas in order to keep their license but it's slow going.

The only saving grace I can see with Samui's rural areas is that the equipment may be newer and better because it wouldn't have been installed for as long as central Lamai for example. Chances are the lines are also newer which helps. Even so, using copper wire to transmit vast amounts of digital data is just not that effective and what we have now is pretty much at the limit.

[...]

The wiki link was just to explain my usage of the work 'cabinet', doesn't say anything about Samui. Chances are the more populous areas are going to completed first for one reason which springs to mind.

A few people I have spoken to (some while back) have not been able to get a wired connection. The local cabinet was simply full so either another cabinet is would be needed along with another line to the exchange. Cheaper and more future proof to run fibre and replace the existing cabinet with a newer model which can handle a much larger number of connections. 3bb (or ToT) then have more lines to rent out and gain revenue. They can also offer higher bandwidth which brings in larger rental along with being able to offer people FTTD in the near future. The areas which have fewer people miss out for a while because the potential customer base is smaller resulting in a longer period of time before reclaiming the investment back. This is what has happened in the UK with rural areas having very poor speed bacause ISPs are unwilling to spend the money to upgrade for half a dozen out of the way homes. The UK government has told the various ISPs that they have to upgrade rural areas in order to keep their license but it's slow going.

The only saving grace I can see with Samui's rural areas is that the equipment may be newer and better because it wouldn't have been installed for as long as central Lamai for example. Chances are the lines are also newer which helps. Even so, using copper wire to transmit vast amounts of digital data is just not that effective and what we have now is pretty much at the limit.

To brake this down. Can you recommend someone that can delivery high speed internet to remote areas on the island if so how much?

cheers thumbsup.gif

To brake this down. Can you recommend someone that can delivery high speed internet to remote areas on the island if so how much?

cheers thumbsup.gif

Assuming a node (cabinet) within 3.5km then either ToT or 3bb should have no problem providing exactly the same service. However, 3bb seem to be able to aaccomplish this more frequently though this may be due to a willingnesst o accept donations in an effort to smooth out any problems This should get a solid 6 down .5 up, need more speed then have to be closer to the node.

cheers thumbsup.gif

Assuming a node (cabinet) within 3.5km then either ToT or 3bb should have no problem providing exactly the same service. However, 3bb seem to be able to aaccomplish this more frequently though this may be due to a willingnesst o accept donations in an effort to smooth out any problems This should get a solid 6 down .5 up, need more speed then have to be closer to the node.

I think the word cabinet is what is confusing me here (I am easily confused blink.pngsmile.png ) Are these the metal perhaps aluminum boxes they are putting on the electric poles? about 18"x 12" in size? I see one has appeared just up the road from me, perhaps there is hope for some of us that live in the "jungle"wink.png ....

If it is TOT though, it has not made any improvement to my neighbours lines being down more than up sometimes ... perhaps they not connected yet???

I think the word cabinet is what is confusing me here (I am easily confused blink.pngsmile.png ) Are these the metal perhaps aluminum boxes they are putting on the electric poles? about 18"x 12" in size? I see one has appeared just up the road from me, perhaps there is hope for some of us that live in the "jungle"wink.png ....

If it is TOT though, it has not made any improvement to my neighbours lines being down more than up sometimes ... perhaps they not connected yet???

Yep. Seems unlikely, to me anyway, that it would not be a fibre box. Your area could have been next on the list or the existing setup was buggered. No telling when it will be active because don't know if there is anything to connect it to at the local exchange. Could postulate that it wouldn't be long as it would be silly to install the cabinet long before it is needed but given this is Thailand, it would be unwise to do so.

Got a picture of a floor mounted cabinet. This one would service a greater population density than on Samui which is why it's bigger. Check the wiring out!

post-145163-0-56373400-1342350400_thumb.

Well I am still not certain what to do when the big change needs to come, but I was chatting with another member the other day, who is in the same boat with CAT and out in the sticks....

He mentioned that True have a "deal" with Iphone.... so I checked it out this morning at Tesco Chawang.... the counter opposite check out)

For 8900 baht up front for iphone s 8 mg 3 g (I forget all the technical info !!!! blink.pngwink.png 8 mg not much space, & no option to upgrade....

Then you get 6 months free service ... (that comes out to being, 5394 baht.) .... and 899 month after that... you need to sign a one year contract....

How does this sound? (ok I guess if coverage works for those of us who live in strange places in the jungle!.... I am not up to date on Iphone prices....wink.png )

There is about a one month wait for these to come in, you leave your number and they will call..... maybe! rolleyes.gifwink.png

If the same Sim card fits in a dongle, that could be a good deal to work the computer internet too??? I am not sure if that is possible.....???...... any knowing minds know for sure ?

Well I am still not certain what to do when the big change needs to come, but I was chatting with another member the other day, who is in the same boat with CAT and out in the sticks....

He mentioned that True have a "deal" with Iphone.... so I checked it out this morning at Tesco Chawang.... the counter opposite check out)

For 8900 baht up front for iphone s 8 mg 3 g (I forget all the technical info !!!! blink.pngwink.png 8 mg not much space, & no option to upgrade....

Then you get 6 months free service ... (that comes out to being, 5394 baht.) .... and 899 month after that... you need to sign a one year contract....

How does this sound? (ok I guess if coverage works for those of us who live in strange places in the jungle!.... I am not up to date on Iphone prices....wink.png )

There is about a one month wait for these to come in, you leave your number and they will call..... maybe! rolleyes.gifwink.png

If the same Sim card fits in a dongle, that could be a good deal to work the computer internet too??? I am not sure if that is possible.....???...... any knowing minds know for sure ?

Should be able just to connect the iPhone to a computer via USB I imagine. The phone then becomes a large dongle in effect.

8 mg not much space, & no option to upgrade....

8 meg is the speed not storage. If you get that speed then it should be fine though there could be a data limit per month, if you exceed this limit then you could find your speed drops to .3 meg or you get charged extra. Other members who have posted on this thread have better knowledge than me on mobile internet, hopefully they will post.

Should be able just to connect the iPhone to a computer via USB I imagine. The phone then becomes a large dongle in effect.

8 mg not much space, & no option to upgrade....

8 meg is the speed not storage. If you get that speed then it should be fine though there could be a data limit per month, if you exceed this limit then you could find your speed drops to .3 meg or you get charged extra. Other members who have posted on this thread have better knowledge than me on mobile internet, hopefully they will post.

Ah tech details, rolleyes.gif I think I meant to say gb ! wink.png

I think they come in 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 so 8 is certainly small for music and photo needs.

I did not mean to ignore your box post, got a bit caught up with other things! (Mr always RIGHT!! rolleyes.gif ) But your box (pictured) is much bigger than the ones I have seen... smile.png so not same same! !!!

I think they come in 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 so 8 is certainly small for music and photo needs.

I did not mean to ignore your box post, got a bit caught up with other things! (Mr always RIGHT!! rolleyes.gif ) But your box (pictured) is much bigger than the ones I have seen... smile.png so not same same! !!!

8GB is quite a bit y'know. Bit of a search shows 1750 songs (minimum), 10,000 photos though that would depend on resolution or 7-8 hours of video. You would also have a camera able to take pictures of good quality and the 'net at your fingertips when out should you need to who sung a certain song for example. Oh, and a phone should you need it. Watch out it's not a copy iPhone as there are plenty of those about.

8GB is quite a bit y'know. Bit of a search shows 1750 songs (minimum), 10,000 photos though that would depend on resolution or 7-8 hours of video. You would also have a camera able to take pictures of good quality and the 'net at your fingertips when out should you need to who sung a certain song for example. Oh, and a phone should you need it. Watch out it's not a copy iPhone as there are plenty of those about.

Thanks NMS you are now appointed as my tech advisor ! biggrin.png

Some how I think TRUE as good or bad they might be, would not be promoting and illegal product.....??? ermm.gif

Some how I think TRUE as good or bad they might be, would not be promoting and illegal product.....??? ermm.gif

Of course they would.

We are not talking about corporate policy here, we are talking about the lies and scams that the sales staff operate. (and over the years I have heard quite a lot!)

The latest one - Two days ago I am told that my (purchased) UBC box now does not work after the 15th and so I have to rent or buy a new one.

I decide to buy.

Yesterday (same shop) I am told that I HAVE to rent a new one and pay every month. Cannot buy.

A friend (fed up of the constant lies that he hears) calls True in Bangkok. Of course you can buy, he is told. 2,500 baht each! On Samui I am quoted 5,000 baht.

All lies

Rant over - back on topic.

True sales staff here on the island will tell you anything to make a sale - and to make it as high value as possible.

If in doubt that what they are suggesting is real - get them to show you, or check with Bangkok!

Can any member confirm that this is the case?

Yes, it's called "tethering" and is possible with any smart phone. If you have an iphone, you can put the TruemoveH SIM in it and use it as a dongle. However, whether or not you will get as strong a signal as you would with a dongle depends on your phone.

You won't lose anything by trying it, though. If the signal isn't as good with your phone, you can always go back and buy the dongle later. If it works well enough then you've saved yourself 2100 baht.

Personally I bought the dongle anyway because I didn't want to change my phone number.

You don't need to get the Truemove deal with this to work, any unlocked smartphone will be fine.

Edited by ydraw

Yes, it's called "tethering" and is possible with any smart phone. If you have an iphone, you can put the TruemoveH SIM in it and use it as a dongle. However, whether or not you will get as strong a signal as you would with a dongle depends on your phone.

You won't lose anything by trying it, though. If the signal isn't as good with your phone, you can always go back and buy the dongle later. If it works well enough then you've saved yourself 2100 baht.

Personally I bought the dongle anyway because I didn't want to change my phone number.

You don't need to get the Truemove deal with this to work, any unlocked smartphone will be fine.

So this just leaves the T&Cs. Another member informed us that quite severe throttling occurs (or is due to occur) after the monthly data limit is reached. Not sure I would fancy a week or 2 of ~.4 meg every month.

Well 3g internet is not meant to be used as a substitute for your main internet provider. It's for use when out of range of other options or when there are power/telephone service cuts.

The good thing about the Truemove package is that it also gives you unlimited access to truemove's wifi hotspots, which are located all over the Island.

If you get the prepaid package for 650 baht/month you get 3 gigabytes of 3g data, and unlimited wi-fi data thrown in.

The truemove wifi is much faster than ToT, slightly slower than 3bb ADSL but I find it a lot more reliable with less congested periods. I use that as my main internet provider, and use 3g as a backup only.

It's pretty easy to tell if there is a truemove hotspot near you - just take a look in your wireless networks list and see if "truewifi" is listed.

Speedtest.net result for truewifi:

http://www.speedtest.../2083372913.png

Result for 3bb ADSL:

http://www.speedtest.../2083375426.png

Results for Truemove 3g (using Huawei E173 dongle which I bought from the Truemove stall in Chaweng Tesco)

http://www.speedtest.../2083382995.png

3g isn't that fast, but the major advantage of 3g is that it never goes down or is unusable. Even during power outages you stay connected. This is especially important for people who are doing time-sensitive work online (e.g. Internet Poker, Currency Trading etc).

For reference I am in Lamai, at the southern end of the beach not far from Holiday Park. Results may vary in other locations.

Truemove prepaid packages are found here. The package I use is in the 2nd table, 650bt plan. To top it up you can buy truemove credit at 7-11 or any mobile shop, or you can even do it online by using your credit card on the true website. Then, once you have the credit topped up you just send a USSD code on your phone (for my plan its *900*34#) to purchase the data package.

Edited by ydraw

They do have "unlimited" 3g packages available as you can see from those tables (the plans starting at 799 baht), but they are "capped" by data (at 3gb, 5gb and 10gb respectively), at which point you'll be slowed to 384kps for the remainder of the month.

That said, 384kps is perfectly fine for general internet use. You just won't be able to stream any video.

Edited by ydraw