Best Internet Provider On Samui

Well 3g internet is not meant to be used as a substitute for your main internet provider. It's for use when out of range of other options or when there are power/telephone service cuts.

The good thing about the Truemove package is that it also gives you unlimited access to truemove's wifi hotspots, which are located all over the Island.

If you get the prepaid package for 650 baht/month you get 3 gigabytes of 3g data, and unlimited wi-fi data thrown in.

The truemove wifi is much faster than ToT, slightly slower than 3bb ADSL but I find it a lot more reliable with less congested periods. I use that as my main internet provider, and use 3g as a backup only.

It's pretty easy to tell if there is a truemove hotspot near you - just take a look in your wireless networks list and see if "truewifi" is listed.

Speedtest.net result for truewifi:

http://www.speedtest.../2083372913.png

Result for 3bb ADSL:

http://www.speedtest.../2083375426.png

Results for Truemove 3g (using Huawei E173 dongle which I bought from the Truemove stall in Chaweng Tesco)

http://www.speedtest.../2083382995.png

3g isn't that fast, but the major advantage of 3g is that it never goes down or is unusable. Even during power outages you stay connected. This is especially important for people who are doing time-sensitive work online (e.g. Internet Poker, Currency Trading etc).

For reference I am in Lamai, at the southern end of the beach not far from Holiday Park. Results may vary in other locations.

Truemove prepaid packages are found here. The package I use is in the 2nd table, 650bt plan. To top it up you can buy truemove credit at 7-11 or any mobile shop, or you can even do it online by using your credit card on the true website. Then, once you have the credit topped up you just send a USSD code on your phone (for my plan its *900*34#) to purchase the data package.

do you have a website link to " is there a god" if there isa link then it must be true, not true visions. ( well this is a possiblilty true visions might have demi god status) depends ifthere is alink to it to make it 100 per cent true.

As for TOT i do not have a link so i cannot tell you if they are any goof

i use 3bb but i cannot tell you what they are like as i donot have alink to back up my words.

ydraw. i amnot stalking you to annoy you.well actually that is not truevisions

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well 3g internet is not meant to be used as a substitute for your main internet provider. It's for use when out of range of other options or when there are power/telephone service cuts.

The good thing about the Truemove package is that it also gives you unlimited access to truemove's wifi hotspots, which are located all over the Island.

If you get the prepaid package for 650 baht/month you get 3 gigabytes of 3g data, and unlimited wi-fi data thrown in.

The truemove wifi is much faster than ToT, slightly slower than 3bb ADSL but I find it a lot more reliable with less congested periods. I use that as my main internet provider, and use 3g as a backup only.

It's pretty easy to tell if there is a truemove hotspot near you - just take a look in your wireless networks list and see if "truewifi" is listed.

Result for 3bb ADSL:

Results for Truemove 3g (using Huawei E173 dongle which I bought from the Truemove stall in Chaweng Tesco)

3g isn't that fast, but the major advantage of 3g is that it never goes down or is unusable. Even during power outages you stay connected. This is especially important for people who are doing time-sensitive work online (e.g. Internet Poker, Currency Trading etc).

For reference I am in Lamai, at the southern end of the beach not far from Holiday Park. Results may vary in other locations.

Truemove prepaid packages are found here. The package I use is in the 2nd table, 650bt plan. To top it up you can buy truemove credit at 7-11 or any mobile shop, or you can even do it online by using your credit card on the true website. Then, once you have the credit topped up you just send a USSD code on your phone (for my plan its *900*34#) to purchase the data package.

Plenty for jimmy to consider.

Result for 3bb ADSL:

Plenty for jimmy to consider.

biggrin.png yep!

I am still working on it! ..... waiting for CAT to come up with more info, about MyClick which I understand will happen sometime.... soooon?

But I somehow suspect True tied in with CAT may be the answer for some of us in some areas.... I suspect the same towers will be used when they replace the EVDO system..... so fingers crossed it will be a good thing!

The last info that came from CAT was all in Thai, so I no understand..... sad.png I will make another trip to Nanthon and check with the CAT manager, ..... if he's in!

Thanks Ydraw for making a good post.... ! wink.png

biggrin.png yep!

I am still working on it! ..... waiting for CAT to come up with more info, about MyClick which I understand will happen sometime.... soooon?

But I somehow suspect True tied in with CAT may be the answer for some of us in some areas.... I suspect the same towers will be used when they replace the EVDO system..... so fingers crossed it will be a good thing!

The last info that came from CAT was all in Thai, so I no understand..... sad.png I will make another trip to Nanthon and check with the CAT manager, ..... if he's in!

I am not so sure that the 'True tied in with CAT' will happen. I read somewhere that the relationship would be illegal/unconstitutional or some such thing. (Private company - government body???)

Soooooo young Jimmy, do not hold your breath. CAT will be behind on this - they thought that they could do it with True - now they are starting from scratch? Maybe?

BTW - more True towers going up around the island!

biggrin.png yep!

I am not so sure that the 'True tied in with CAT' will happen. I read somewhere that the relationship would be illegal/unconstitutional or some such thing. (Private company - government body???)

Soooooo young Jimmy, do not hold your breath. CAT will be behind on this - they thought that they could do it with True - now they are starting from scratch? Maybe?

BTW - more True towers going up around the island!

Young Jimmy..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif ha!!!!!..... oh..... those days long gone!!!!

The only reason I say there is a tie in is from the same advertising Poster at the True stand in Tesco has CAT tied into their promotion with the Iphone.... surely they would not tell a lie...? biggrin.pngtongue.png

Anyway I will let you get one first and let use know how it works or does not thumbsup.gif

You can come to my house and we'll try it....rolleyes.gif and have a nice cuppa tea!coffee1.gifsmile.png

This is an interesting read.... I know a few people may want to read....(I've even been stopped at the "street" by a couple of people, and been asked) ...

I still don't know if CAT locally is getting anywhere.... but having a dongle with interchangeable sim, would be better than one without....

So having that information is a good one to ask for those of us who need a new dongle..... so not locked in whether it is good or bad...

I hope to get to CAT one day this week and see where they are at..... looks like some areas of Thailand have got the change already.....

http://www.thaivisa....lepoint-router/

I am finding the DTAC 3g card on my Nokia phone, dead slow.... sad.png

This is an interesting read.... I know a few people may want to read....(I've even been stopped at the "street" by a couple of people, and been asked)

Been asked myself before.

I reread the thread and there is indeed a considerable amount of information on a number of options, wide enough to suit most peoples needs.

This is an interesting read.... I know a few people may want to read....(I've even been stopped at the "street" by a couple of people, and been asked)

I reread the thread and there is indeed a considerable amount of information on a number of options, wide enough to suit most peoples needs.

All this enough to drive me crazier crazy.gif than I already am! biggrin.png

Well I did make it to the CAT office this morning, they said go talk to True opposite Chawang Post Office. He said that True were using the same towers that CAT are / where using, so that should be good, for where I am since I get good current service with the old CAT Modem.... a friend further up the mountain from me, says his not so good.... so it is really a location thing....

What I don't understand is this MyClick or My CAT talked about in that link I gave yesterday is being used in other parts of Thailand....

I had to go to Chawang too, so headed up to the main True shop, but it was shut.... Out to lunch, I guess! laugh.png it was just before 1 pm.... wink.png

Then I stopped at JIB to ask them about the different Dongles, (1100 to 1200 baht range) that left me more confused, even after the third guy I spoke too, I think he was suggesting going to True Shop.

(But then my guess is one is locked into a True contract and dongle and stuck if no good... .......

But from what I could gather, you can put different SIM cards in their dongles from JIB he did say some work better than others... .... I think blink.pngsmile.png

Well, I guess we that need Dongles have about a month to figure this out!

All this enough to drive me crazier crazy.gif than I already am! biggrin.png

Well I did make it to the CAT office this morning, they said go talk to True opposite Chawang Post Office. He said that True were using the same towers that CAT are / where using, so that should be good, for where I am since I get good current service with the old CAT Modem.... a friend further up the mountain from me, says his not so good.... so it is really a location thing....

What I don't understand is this MyClick or My CAT talked about in that link I gave yesterday is being used in other parts of Thailand....

I had to go to Chawang too, so headed up to the main True shop, but it was shut.... Out to lunch, I guess! laugh.png it was just before 1 pm.... wink.png

Then I stopped at JIB to ask them about the different Dongles, (1100 to 1200 baht range) that left me more confused, even after the third guy I spoke too, I think he was suggesting going to True Shop.

(But then my guess is one is locked into a True contract and dongle and stuck if no good... .......

ß

But from what I could gather, you can put different SIM cards in their dongles from JIB he did say some work better than others... .... I think blink.pngsmile.png

Well, I guess we that need Dongles have about a month to figure this out!

For the most part, mobile internet in Thailand is outside my field of knowledge. One option you could try is to find someone who is using a particular service and invite them around for a free dinner on the understanding that they give their device a thorougher workout. If they say it's shocking then you have your answer. Detailed on-site report for the price of a dinner and perhaps a bottle of pißwasser sounds like a good deal.

True office moved, I believe it's in Big c complex now.

You can also have a look at this forum:

http://www.thaivisa....ion-technology/

True have a number of places now. But be careful (rip off people - subject of another thread).

Opposite Chewang Post office is closed for good.

They are in Big C - up the escalator and on the left just before Big C shop itself. The people here are the biggest bunch of liars that I have come across recently. (Look at the UBC thread in about 30 minutes.)

Two other places. Both inside Tesco Lotus Chewang.

Small shop outside AIS/Telewiz - next to Fiji resraurant. The staff here rotate with the ones in Big C!

Best place (IMHO) - outside Bangkok Bank in Tesco. They are definitely more knowledgable than the others on the True Move dongles - and less bullshite and rip offs on the UBC decoders.

Good Luck - you will need it.

Latest update.... Trues Iphone promotion, seems to have changed dramatically.... now all versions available 8 to 32 g but they seem to be asking to pay full price up front. (She at Tesco Chawang, did say they are genuine Iphones) Then you get the 6 months free True internet .... (I am not really interested in getting an Iphone, but was just asking.)

Again got stopped today, while pulling my weeds in the garden this time! rolleyes.gif

"Have you made a decision" ... .... "No I am waiting for you to try first! "

Then we both agreed Mr Tropicalevo should get one and we'll invite him over! biggrin.pngtongue.png

I guess we have three weeks to get this figured! wink.png

Personally I think (hope) True might be the answer for those of use who need Dongles.... as they are using the same towers that CAT is / was using....

Anyone in Maenam area using a True dongle yet?

• Like 1

Then we both agreed Mr Tropicalevo should get one and we'll invite him over! biggrin.pngtongue.png

Jimmy - both of my Truemove dongles are with customers at the mo. I am more than happy to lend you one to try out at the end of the month. thumbsup.gif

I will NEVER buy an iphone/ipad/ipod/ibeer? though. Why would someone buy one when you are then tied into that company for the rest of your life - Open Platform guys and gals.wai.gif and yes - I use OpenOffice instad of Microsoft Office. It's free!

Jimmy - both of my Truemove dongles are with customers at the mo. I am more than happy to lend you one to try out at the end of the month. thumbsup.gif

I will NEVER buy an iphone/ipad/ipod/ibeer? though. Why would someone buy one when you are then tied into that company for the rest of your life - Open Platform guys and gals.wai.gif and yes - I use OpenOffice instad of Microsoft Office. It's free!

Thanks Tropo! So you have kept that a secret you have True Dongles already! Are you finding them as good as the CAT dongle?

Might take you up on that.... thumbsup.gif

Thanks Tropo! So you have kept that a secret you have True Dongles already! Are you finding them as good as the CAT dongle?

It is down to location again.

My house - carp!!! sad.png

A neighbour 100 meters away (on top of a hill) brilliant!thumbsup.gif

Just let me know if you want to try one. Happy to loan it for a few days at the end of the month. I have a white one and a black one. Apparantly the black ones have a faster 'top speed'. Whether you get that speed or not.......whistling.gif

(As you can see - I am not a techie and that is after 35 years in the software business!)

Just let me know if you want to try one. Happy to loan it for a few days at the end of the month. I have a white one and a black one. Apparantly the black ones have a faster 'top speed'. Whether you get that speed or not.......whistling.gif

(As you can see - I am not a techie and that is after 35 years in the software business!)

That is what I feared.... location location location, it's like finding a place to set up a busy successful bar!!! wink.png

So, one black one, one white one..... we'll see if the have a bit of ...<deleted> on either! smile.png

That's a kind offer Trop. SJ can see what it is like at different times of the day as well as various places around the house and garden, such as on the can.

• Like 1

That's a kind offer Trop. SJ can see what it is like at different times of the day as well as various places around the house and garden, such as on the can.

tongue.png I don't use my computer in the garden or on the can! biggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

My friend up the road, aways from me needs to try it too... he does not as good a signal as I do, with CAT. So will be in touch with Tropo! Tnx!

tongue.pngI don't use my computer in the garden or on the can! biggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

My friend up the road, aways from me needs to try it too... he does not as good a signal as I do, with CAT. So will be in touch with Tropo! Tnx!

Jimmy I'm in Ban Tai on the way to Nathon from Maenam not far from you my signal comes off tower Ban Tai3. I just plugged a old dongle I have and it's showing HSDPA so that should mean 3G and this is from AIS.

Thanks, John, it may be a case of experimenting.... my CAT modem has always said 3 g... but I know it's not...

I'll hit up Tropo soon, then maybe you too! wink.png

OMG to more weeks to decide.... w00t.gif

Jimmy - you are having more Big C moments. "to more weeks????" giggle.gif

Anyone got one of those small wifi boxes,true sell them at 4000b and ais at 2100b,just plug in and can connect up to 5 computers wifi,only put a sim card in it.the ais one is cheaper but don't know if i get 3g from them at my place will check this week,i use a micro sim in my i pad on true3g and its great.

Anyone got one of those small wifi boxes,true sell them at 4000b and ais at 2100b,just plug in and can connect up to 5 computers wifi,only put a sim card in it.the ais one is cheaper but don't know if i get 3g from them at my place will check this week,i use a micro sim in my i pad on true3g and its great.

Read Bouncing Tits, message in this link: whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/575769-cat-cdma-still-functioning-on-koh-phangan/

I think that is what you are referring too? A Mifi...

Did you find your plils?blink.png

Read Bouncing Tits, message in this link: whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa....on-koh-phangan/

I think that is what you are referring too? A Mifi...

Did you find your plils?blink.png

Plils, must be the heat.. smiley-sex020.gif

• Like 1

Well thanks to Mr Tropicalevo I am trying out his True Dongle, here in the hinterlands and jungles of Maenam, and so far so good.... thumbsup.gif and this is the cheaper of the two versions True is offering....

So it really does depends on location, it would not work at his home on my computer, but it did on his....!.blink.png

Will do some downloading this evening and see if it keeps up..... biggrin.png

Edited by samuijimmy