Old Focus Or New Focus?

For the past few weeks I've been shaping up to get a Civic 2.0 EL Navi but now the Focus Titanium plus (sedan) is coming in as a serious contender. Figure I could get one of those Garmin navi things stuck to the dash of the Focus if necessary.

I'm not going to need the car for everyday commutes in town, just occasional long distance drives from Chiang Mai to BKK and light city driving.

May also be looking to sell it in about 5 years or so.

My missus says the big turn-off for the Focus would be the cost of any repairs, so I'm wondering how long the warranty is on parts for the focus and if it can be extended. Also, that the Civic resale price will be better.

So which of those two cars would you guys choose in this situation?

Cheers for any thoughts.

15Peter

No idea of repair costs, but one of my main reasons for buying the Ford was the fact that they have their own body repair & paint shops dotted around the country, a list of which can be found at: http://www.ford.co.th/en/ford-owners/service/paint-and-repair. My theory being that when (not if) a motorcyclist makes contact then the colour in the subsequent panel respray is hopefully more likely to match if done by Ford. My last car's body repairs resulted in marginally (but noticeable) different paint colour. I also chose white as it's non-metallic and again easier to match. Not sure on re-sale value, but probably slightly less than Toyotas and Hondas, although as Fords become more common-spread then that could change.

Nothing to do with Ford to do with who's using the paintshops mixing system and their eye/ ability to change the manufacturers weight mix if it does not match the vehicles paint thats if they bother, hence lots of off colour panels.

Edited by Wiggy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past few weeks I've been shaping up to get a Civic 2.0 EL Navi but now the Focus Titanium plus (sedan) is coming in as a serious contender. Figure I could get one of those Garmin navi things stuck to the dash of the Focus if necessary.

I'm not going to need the car for everyday commutes in town, just occasional long distance drives from Chiang Mai to BKK and light city driving.

My missus says the big turn-off for the Focus would be the cost of any repairs, so I'm wondering how long the warranty is on parts for the focus and if it can be extended. Also, that the Civic resale price will be better.

Cheers for any thoughts.

15Peter

No idea of repair costs, but one of my main reasons for buying the Ford was the fact that they have their own body repair & paint shops dotted around the country, a list of which can be found at: http://www.ford.co.th/en/ford-owners/service/paint-and-repair. My theory being that when (not if) a motorcyclist makes contact then the colour in the subsequent panel respray is hopefully more likely to match if done by Ford. My last car's body repairs resulted in marginally (but noticeable) different paint colour. I also chose white as it's non-metallic and again easier to match. Not sure on re-sale value, but probably slightly less than Toyotas and Hondas, although as Fords become more common-spread then that could change.

Nothing to do with Ford to do with who's using the paintshops mixing system and their eye/ ability to change the manufacturers weight mix if it does not match the vehicles paint thats if they bother, hence lots of off colour panels.

Quite possible. Although there might be more chance of getting it redone if the job isn't done properly I would have thought. After all Ford should sanction the work done by their own employees, and the paint shops are located on Ford premises. TIT though.

Just out of interest, how are any New Focus owners out there getting along with their purchase? Problems? Comments?

Just Hopping Around as Usual.sick.gif It called the Jumpbuck in Ozz.cheesy.gif

I thought you had a Civic.

I drive about in most cars /trucks here.. My Fav is a Suzi Swift in the Ford Type Mini Car Range.coffee1.gif

Just out of interest, how are any New Focus owners out there getting along with their purchase? Problems? Comments?

Just Hopping Around as Usual.sick.gif It called the Jumpbuck in Ozz.cheesy.gif

I thought you had a Civic.

I drive about in most cars /trucks here.. My Fav is a Suzi Swift in the Ford Type Mini Car Range.coffee1.gif

The Swift got good reviews by Fifth Gear in the UK. Nice little car by all accounts.

Took a 4Door Titanium + Sedan out for a test drive today. I thought there were issues with the transmission at first and half way through the salesman noticed the cruise control was on, so switching that off kind of improved things but it still left niggling question marks in my head. Then back at home read several owners' reports of transmission problems with the 2012 Focus and now I'm a bit more jittery on it.

Back to the test drive, the added electronic gadgetry can't be ignored - I especially liked the blind spot warning light in the wing mirrors. But the salesman tried 3 times to use the Parking Assist feature and it didn't register that a parking place had been found. He turned the car around and tried in the opposite direction and it worked. It was impressive when it worked, but still, another 'hmmmm'.

It felt a little more cramped than the Civic but maybe this was because of the relatively busier dashboard array. In the front passenger seat, it felt like my legs were being pushed to the left because of the size of the central control panel.

I really wanted to like this car, and at high revs it did feel like there was some power there, and the steering was nice and responsive. I want to buy it because even though I think the Civic is nicer looking both inside and out, it's performance that I'm most interested in, but I think I'll need another test drive before parting with 1.1 odd mill.

Question marks remain about the transmission - do any current owners have any thoughts about this?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by 15Peter20

I chose the regular Titanium without the gadgetry. The Active City Stop only works below 20kph and doesn't work for pedestrians or motorcycles. Besides, damage below 20kph is likely to be minimal, and nobody is going to die.

For the Park Assist, in 15 years of driving in Bangkok I think I can count the number of times I've had to parallel park on one hand, so no need for the assistance for me personally. Cruise control unnecessary in my view as local conditions (both city and urban) aren't conducive to its use. I would've liked the anti-glare rearview mirror, the blind spot warning and the nice headlights though.

On to the transmission - generally I'm very happy with it. I did a lot of research on it and I was also a little worried, like yourself. I've just reached 1,500km and it's now acting differently. However, apparently this is to be expected as it "learns" your driving style, but I'm still not convinced about this. The only problem I have occurs when I'm crawling in traffic. The computer can't seem to decide whether to engage first or second gear. This is the only issue. Above 10-15kph the transmission is perfect and always has been. The power is brilliant and handling is superb. I love SYNC as well.

I chose the regular Titanium without the gadgetry. The Active City Stop only works below 20kph and doesn't work for pedestrians or motorcycles. Besides, damage below 20kph is likely to be minimal, and nobody is going to die.

For the Park Assist, in 15 years of driving in Bangkok I think I can count the number of times I've had to parallel park on one hand, so no need for the assistance for me personally. Cruise control unnecessary in my view as local conditions (both city and urban) aren't conducive to its use. I would've liked the anti-glare rearview mirror, the blind spot warning and the nice headlights though.

On to the transmission - generally I'm very happy with it. I did a lot of research on it and I was also a little worried, like yourself. I've just reached 1,500km and it's now acting differently. However, apparently this is to be expected as it "learns" your driving style, but I'm still not convinced about this. The only problem I have occurs when I'm crawling in traffic. The computer can't seem to decide whether to engage first or second gear. This is the only issue. Above 10-15kph the transmission is perfect and always has been. The power is brilliant and handling is superb. I love SYNC as well.

Thanks for that, I'm a bit closer to being sold. With regard to the SYNC, how many voice commands do you know which actually work? During my test drive the salesman tried a few, like 'climate' but none worked. He said it was because of his accent. Fair enough, but I still didn't see it working. Do you use this feature much? If so, with what functions? Do you need to 'train' the software to recognize your voice? Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure it only takes commands for the entertainment system and telephone, which is maybe why it didn't understand "climate". I've never had any problems with it understanding my commands when playing music or using the phone. My wife doesn't get understood 100% of the time though due to her accent, but she's getting better. I don't think you can train it to understand you - at least I haven't done so if you can. Also, I have a 3 year-old iPhone 3GS and it works flawlessly via Bluetooth while the phone remains in my pocket. It even mimics my phone's ringtone! And you can have more than one phone connected. It doesn't do SMS, but will in the future, I am told. If you have a smartphone, you can download the SYNC user guide app which has been a big help.

I have my iPod Nano plugged in to the USB in the glove box and it works seamlessly, and it charges it whenever the ignition is on. The stereo with the nine speakers is the best factory system I've ever heard in a car.

The only other thing I'd mention about the Titanium+ is the sunroof. I chose the Titanium without it as a friend had a sunroof and the rubber perished in the heat and it leaked. It was a pig to get fixed. My personal preference though. It was an older car so they're probably better now.

Please feel free to ask anything further. Cheers.

Wiggy,Lucky You, if i had that where i live,they would think it came from Mars. they have never seen a Cruze round here.!!I. Do wish they would leave out built in Sat Nav, or at least charge the 199 Bht its worth. Cant take it into another Car, any Old Garmin Hand is happy these days. Regarding the Perished Rubber, i feel a Condom Joke cumming on.burp.gif

Wiggy,Lucky You, if i had that where i live,they would think it came from Mars. they have never seen a Cruze round here.!!I. Do wish they would leave out built in Sat Nav, or at least charge the 199 Bht its worth. Cant take it into another Car, any Old Garmin Hand is happy these days. Regarding the Perished Rubber, i feel a Condom Joke cumming on.burp.gif

Oh, those good old rubber jokes smile.png . One reason for choosing it was because it's different. I really tried to like the Japanese offerings, but they are just plain boring. As for coming from Mars, well I am referred to as an alien on my immigration forms, so maybe they know something I don't biggrin.png . No built-in satnav in the Focus. Garmin for me, if I ever need one.

You be careful Wiigo havin a sense oh Humour here. Jeez .. the Truckies are so Serious Here. The Old Sower Craut , 2 Niller, or German i chat with came out with this refering to Trucks. "Der Grossen Pferdwagen". no doubt someone will reply. .With a Terribly British repost. Anyway, hes got the same as you, and is happpy with it.thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gifP1000912.JPG

Here she is.

Looks great, you are a lucky lad. Is everything still going well with it?

I went for another test drive yesterday and tried to get it to shudder or make a noise in low gear but everything seemed fine. Asked the rep if they'd had many transmission/gearbox problems (this was a showroom with a service center behind it) and they said none although a while back they'd had problems with 'noises' from the engines, which I took to mean the same issues as many of the user reviews I'd read online had indicated about the Focus, but that problem was no longer occurring.

So now, I've got my certificate of residence and everything else ready to go. All that remains is to take the plunge. i still feel an element of risk involved and fear high maintenance costs. Have you any idea about how frequent oil changes need to be for that dual-clutch gearbox? I heard oil changes for this type of gearbox are very expensive.

Thanks a lot.

Here she is.

I went for another test drive yesterday and tried to get it to shudder or make a noise in low gear but everything seemed fine. Asked the rep if they'd had many transmission/gearbox problems (this was a showroom with a service center behind it) and they said none although a while back they'd had problems with 'noises' from the engines, which I took to mean the same issues as many of the user reviews I'd read online had indicated about the Focus, but that problem was no longer occurring.

So now, I've got my certificate of residence and everything else ready to go. All that remains is to take the plunge. i still feel an element of risk involved and fear high maintenance costs. Have you any idea about how frequent oil changes need to be for that dual-clutch gearbox? I heard oil changes for this type of gearbox are very expensive.

Thanks a lot.

Still very happy with it.

As far as I know the model made here has the dry dual-clutch system, which should mean no oil changes - it's only in the US where the wet clutch is used. The service period is every nine months and I got vouchers from Ford Srinakarin for the first two services to be free of charge. So, maintenance costs should not be an issue as far as I'm concerned (well not for the first 18 months anyhow).

I also read about noises from the transmission/engine, but that was fixed with a software update and mine is quiet.

Here she is.

Thanks a lot.

As far as I know the model made here has the dry dual-clutch system, which should mean no oil changes - it's only in the US where the wet clutch is used. The service period is every nine months and I got vouchers from Ford Srinakarin for the first two services to be free of charge. So, maintenance costs should not be an issue as far as I'm concerned (well not for the first 18 months anyhow).

I also read about noises from the transmission/engine, but that was fixed with a software update and mine is quiet.

Well, after the 3rd test drive I took the plunge and put the deposit down. So help me God. If I don't get any of those transmission issues or noises at low speed, this could be the start of something nice. Thanks for your insights.

I must mention that Mr Pom the sales manager at Ford near Meechok Plaza in Chiang Mai is quite the best salesman of anything I've ever met in Thailand. Patient, attentive and thorough.

Here she is.

Thanks a lot.

Well, after the 3rd test drive I took the plunge and put the deposit down. So help me God. If I don't get any of those transmission issues or noises at low speed, this could be the start of something nice. Thanks for your insights.

I must mention that Mr Pom the sales manager at Ford near Meechok Plaza in Chiang Mai is quite the best salesman of anything I've ever met in Thailand. Patient, attentive and thorough.

Congrats. Enjoy.

Cheers for any thoughts.

15Peter

Update: That link appears broken, so when you click on it, click on "Body Paint and Body Repair" under the "Ownership" column. That should take you there.

There is none in SaKaeo I can confirm that. Ford is a joke if you ask me I wish I never bought the Focus Sport. I took the car to Pattaya for a service (15000) I was booked in for 9am. I asked if it is okay for them to put on the window shields and scuff plates (none LED) they said yes no problem. It was nearly 09:45am and my car was still sat there then I noticed that a car that had just came was straight up the ramp and mechanics were working on it. I went out and asked why no one was looking at my car as it was now 09:50am as per usual here nothing said in English and a smile was all I got, I said if you don't want to work on my car fine I will cancel the service and by the time I went to get the key there was two working on it. The service took approx 30 minutes and the service department still did not even speak to me but told my Mrs that the reason the were not working on my car was because they did not know what to do first the service or put on the 2 extras I nearly pissed myself so I told them to cancel the extras as how hard could it have been to put them on, the window shield and scuff plate. I also have a Toyota and had Mitsubishi previous and they are streets ahead of Ford when it comes to service. Oh and Isuzu seem to do alot of there bodywork repairs.

Ford Focus Sport + 13,000km for sale........anybody interested. giggle.gif

Edited by dezy1801
  • Like 1

Cheers for any thoughts.

15Peter

Update: That link appears broken, so when you click on it, click on "Body Paint and Body Repair" under the "Ownership" column. That should take you there.

There is none in SaKaeo I can confirm that. Ford is a joke if you ask me I wish I never bought the Focus Sport. I took the car to Pattaya for a service (15000) I was booked in for 9am. I asked if it is okay for them to put on the window shields and scuff plates (none LED) they said yes no problem. It was nearly 09:45am and my car was still sat there then I noticed that a car that had just came was straight up the ramp and mechanics were working on it. I went out and asked why no one was looking at my car as it was now 09:50am as per usual here nothing said in English and a smile was all I got, I said if you don't want to work on my car fine I will cancel the service and by the time I went to get the key there was two working on it. The service took approx 30 minutes and the service department still did not even speak to me but told my Mrs that the reason the were not working on my car was because they did not know what to do first the service or put on the 2 extras I nearly pissed myself so I told them to cancel the extras as how hard could it have been to put them on, the window shield and scuff plate. I also have a Toyota and had Mitsubishi previous and they are streets ahead of Ford when it comes to service. Oh and Isuzu seem to do alot of there bodywork repairs.

Ford Focus Sport + 13,000km for sale........anybody interested. giggle.gif

You want to sell your car because the service took an hour longer than you expected? Harsh. If that's the worst I can expect from being a Focus owner, then I'm quite looking forward to owning one.

Not really the only reason let me know how the car is after you have owned one for 6 months or so. Isuzu seem to do the repairs on them, if I wanted Isuzu to do the repairs I would have bought one of there cars.

I would be happy to spend an extra hour in a Ford Dealer, instead of being dragged around Lotus by Black Haired Pit Bull.I only glance at the Car section and get bunted by the trolley. If this is retirement, i hate it.w00t.gif .

Lotus all the way mate, I'm not retired and don't own a pitbull either biggrin.png

Edited by dezy1801

Not really the only reason let me know how the car is after you have owned one for 6 months or so. Isuzu seem to do the repairs on them, if I wanted Isuzu to do the repairs I would have bought one of there cars.

If you had any kind of mechanical/electronic problem with the car itself within those 13K Km, then I'd certainly be interested to find out what it was. Cheers.

If you had any kind of mechanical/electronic problem with the car itself within those 13K Km, then I'd certainly be interested to find out what it was. Cheers.

Me too. Also, I can't understand why Isuzu are involved. Mazda, yes, as they are working with Ford under the "Auto Alliance" banner/agreement. What repairs did Isuzu have to carry out and were they done to your satisfaction? Thanks in advance.

Did you take the car for a test drive? I never did wish I had done just find the accelerator to be jumpy not smooth when reversing and find that when accelerating not to hard then taking the foot of the accelerator it still revs slightly high for about 3 seconds after my foot is clear. Misalingment on the boot (I have the hatch) if you look at the tail lights there is an obvious gap between the tail lights and the boot with it being larger on the passanger side. The window film has started to come off on the rear passanger window. I really don't think the car is worth 1million but what do I expect from a Thai built car. Also if you don't mind waiting 1 hour more for your car to be serviced when another car goes before you after you were there you are obviously a better man than I because when I book something in to be done I expect a company with any kind of professionalism to work to the best of there ability to keep the customer happy.

Me too. Also, I can't understand why Isuzu are involved. Mazda, yes, as they are working with Ford under the "Auto Alliance" banner/agreement. What repairs did Isuzu have to carry out and were they done to your satisfaction? Thanks in advance.

I also don't understand why Isuzu worked on the car, the probem was some idiot jumped out his truck about 5 metres away and left the hand brake off the truck slowley moved and came to rest against the front bumper of the car. The mrs spoke with Ford to take it there but they said they did not do repairs (in Pattaya) and they informed us to go to Isuzu. The parts took more than a week to arrive and took more that 3 days to fix and all this time we were without the car. We live in SaKaeo and there is a Ford dealer there with no car service or repairs.

Did you take the car for a test drive? I never did wish I had done just find the accelerator to be jumpy not smooth when reversing and find that when accelerating not to hard then taking the foot of the accelerator it still revs slightly high for about 3 seconds after my foot is clear. Misalingment on the boot (I have the hatch) if you look at the tail lights there is an obvious gap between the tail lights and the boot with it being larger on the passanger side. The window film has started to come off on the rear passanger window. I really don't think the car is worth 1million but what do I expect from a Thai built car. Also if you don't mind waiting 1 hour more for your car to be serviced when another car goes before you after you were there you are obviously a better man than I because when I book something in to be done I expect a company with any kind of professionalism to work to the best of there ability to keep the customer happy.

Thanks for the information. I'm curious about the accelerator issue. I've only done 1,600km in mine with no real issues, except from the problem when crawling in traffic, as I mentioned earlier. The car can't seem decide which gear to be in (1st or 2nd) and the revs do remain high sometimes. I guess this is when it's changing gear. It doesn't happen all the time though and I'm not too fussed by it. Just curious if it's normal. Did Ford do anything about it? Thanks.