Starting A Freelance Business (Limite Partnership?)

depe

My scenario is the following one:

I am planning to start a business in Thailand (Bangkok). I will do remote work for my clients who are located outside of Thailand. In other words I will send invoices every month to my clients and they will pay for my Thailand based company. Basically this business is a freelancing business and I have no aim to grow it or hire more people, etc. I don’t really have any tangible assets, and I plan to keep it that way. I just have my computer, know-how and some cash.

I am married to a Thai woman, who has her own business (it is a “freelancing” business (I don’t know the correct term – but it is not a limited company)). I trust my wife, so this part should not be an issue. Anyhow, we want to keep these businesses completely separated from each other.

I have the normal two goals: 1) to do everything by the law and immigration rules (have a work permit, pay taxes, etc.), and 2) to be able to stay in Thailand with least possible amount of visa&extension hassle (well, I might need to travel outside Thailand every few monts, so maybe this second part is not so important).

Given the above circumstances, what would you recommend for me?

I have read quite a lot about the limited partnership type of a company. Would this be the easiest and possibly the best solution for me? I would do this of course with my wife. And then we would need any other Thai employees? If I understand everything correctly my wife would own the major part of the company and have the access to the company bank account? She would then pay me my salary (~ revenue minus costs) each month. Should we pay a salary for my wife too?

Additional question is about the possible office. After reading thaivisa and other sources I came up with an assumption that if I want to have a company and/or work permit, I should have an office (although I would work from home)? And possibly our home (rented house) cannot be the office? Is this a valid assumption? Basically currently my wife has a small office for her business, and I guess I could use that sane address – but we are planning to move to a bigger house and my wife is planning to use a room in the new house as her office (similarly to me).

And would this all have an effect to my wife? I mean she being involved in two companies then?

So many questions. Maybe better to come to meet you, but I would at least get some suggestions beforehand. Thanks.

We have phoned the Labor Office Hotline in Bangkok to double check as we know there have been issues with Ltd Partnershps and they say it is possible to obtain a work permit on a Limited Partnership, if you are not in Bangkok it is always best to check with your local Labor Office first.

A disadvantage of setting up a limited partnership is that the Director must be Thai, meaning that as a foreigner you will not be able to open a business bank account. The other complication relates to the Non-Immigrant business visa and work permit. The Labor Office may opt to issue only a 90 day work permit as opposed to a one year. In this instance your Non-Immigrant business visa would follow suit and need to be renewed every 90 days. A Thai limited company is an option that you may wish to consider as you will be able to obtain a work permit and can be a Director in the company.

Additionally, there is potential unlimited liabiity in a limited partnership for both partners.. Limited companies are good for most people because of this fact.

For more information on the company set up process, please contact Sunbelt Asia for a free consultation at your convenience on 02-642-0213.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]