Cambodian Troops 'Fire At Bangkok Airways Jet': Thai Army

webfact

If the Cambodians only fired 18 rounds at the aircraft, then at most only 4 of those would have been tracer.

The whole point of tracer is to allow the gunner to "steer" his stream of bullets onto the target. 18 rounds (4 being tracer) is not enough to do this.

I doubt that the aircraft was ever aware that it had been engaged. I suspect that the Cambodians, for some reason, loosed off a burst in the general direction of the noise of an aircraft, and are now trying to explain away what was in effect a negligent discharge!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Cambodians only fired 18 rounds at the aircraft, then at most only 4 of those would have been tracer.

The whole point of tracer is to allow the gunner to "steer" his stream of bullets onto the target. 18 rounds (4 being tracer) is not enough to do this.

I doubt that the aircraft was ever aware that it had been engaged. I suspect that the Cambodians, for some reason, loosed off a burst in the general direction of the noise of an aircraft, and are now trying to explain away what was in effect a negligent discharge!

Why explain it if nobody knew about it?

"Military spokesmen from both sides say Cambodian troops stationed at the border thought the jet was a spy plane and
fired shots from a machine gun to warn it off

I doubt they thought they would think they could scare away a high flying plain by the sounds of a gun being fired on the ground or the muzzle flash from it. There are so many possibilities to this story but one thing is almost certain is the reports we are reading are probably inaccurate.

A more pressing question may be....why does the Siem Reap airport -- an international airport, no less -- not have sufficient equipment to enable a plane to land in foggy conditions?

Dunno if the ATR's flown by Bangkok Airways have ALS. rolleyes.gif

Since when is there fog at 7pm in the tropics. Temperature inversion at 30c, at sunset?

Maybe Cambodia has created a fog making technology to challenge Thailand rainmaking?

I'm not sure I read anything about fog. I only read "bad weather".

Quick, some body stick some bullets hole stickers under the wings of BKKAIR as photo proofs.

• Like 1

Why explain it if nobody knew about it?

"Military spokesmen from both sides say Cambodian troops stationed at the border thought the jet was a spy plane and
fired shots from a machine gun to warn it off

I doubt they thought they would think they could scare away a high flying plain by the sounds of a gun being fired on the ground or the muzzle flash from it. There are so many possibilities to this story but one thing is almost certain is the reports we are reading are probably inaccurate.

i suspect that the Cambodians had a negligent discharge (some one let of a burst at the sound of the aircraft without having been told to do so). The Thai Army, on the other side of the border have asked what they were doing/shooting at.

The Cambodians have come up with the excuse that it was a "spy plane".

storm in a teacup.

Passenger's were startled by gun fire! Nyuh huh cheesy.gif .. How did this even get reported?

Clandestine Ops to obtain a new secret Larb Moo recipe no doubt.beatdeadhorse.gifpost-4641-1156694005.gif

A military machine gun generally intermittently fires tracer rounds that will glow which allow the troop to know where the rounds are going. Depending on the altitude of the plane and were the shots came from, there is a good chance at least the pilots knew they were being fired upon or at the least somebody was firing military rounds in the air below them.

Some, not all gunners use the four-to-one tracer round. In most Forces the use is optional. The potential disadvantage is that it shows the target where the fire is coming from, even with delayed tracer display.

But . . .

Whatever. I have serious doubts over the veracity of this whole story.

My guess is the PR guys who leaked this one are quite satisfied with themselves right now. It seems to be stirring up the desired level of attention.