Tart Cherry Juice - The Ultimate Antioxidant?

Mekong Bob

Scientists have found that tart cherry juice may be nature’s ultimate antioxidant – even more-so than blueberries, cranberries and oranges.

Dr Oz (nationally-known physician in USA) says that one of the benefits of tart cherry juice is that it provides pain relief, including muscle pain and gout pain. Tart cherry juice blocks the enzyme which creates inflammation in your body.

Tart cherry juice fights heart disease. Dr Oz says that tart cherry juice reduces triglycerides in your blood, and therefore it is great for fighting off heart disease.

Anybody know if tart cherry juice is available in Thailand yet?

Does Dr. Oz have peer reviewed studies to support his claims? Cherry juice is delicious, cherries even better.

my thoughts also; why mess about searching shelves for the juices when you can buy a bunch and be 100% sure there are no chemical additives.

Swallowing the stone though not be quite so healthy... .then the Heimlich manoeuvre comes into play

Considering a small plastic box of imported cherries in Rimping or other supermarkets in Bangkok costs like 299 THB a box, I couldn't imagine the cost of say a litre of the stuff.

And those are the deep red, sweet (Bing?) cherries at Rimping. I don't recall ever seeing the yellow & red "sour" cherries in the produce section. (I believe these are the preferred cherries for some cherry pie fillings.) If Rimping were to import tart cherry juice in quart-size glass bottles, I suspect the price would be about 299 THB per bottle.

Anyway, I was just asking if anyone has seen such juice in Thailand.

My reading suggests that antioxidents are tested pre digestive acid exposure so it is all speculative as to health benefits. Since most of the of the leaders in this department are also quite tasty, so if they do promote health they are in many commonly consumed products from coffee to tomatoes and many fruits and veggies in between. Would be nice if cherries were grown localy, the mountain areas get the required winter chill. Not seen the juice but have not looked.

Edited by daoyai

In no way do I want to "poo poo" the OP comment on the value of the anti oxidant in cherries but I thought I would just pass on some general info I have just read about anti oxidants.

As you can see the importance of one product over the next really is irrelevant and the amount of AOs in all the food we eat on a day to day basis surely must be way better than searching for a litre of cherry juice or cranberry juice.

FRUITS

The USDA also cites many fruits that are strong in antioxidants. These include apples of all types, pears, plums, pomegranates, watermelon, Guam, papaya, oranges, apricots, peaches and mangoes. These fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants that include beta-carotene, lycopene and vitamin C. Different berries, including blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, make up six of the top 20 antioxidant foods list from the USDA.

VEGETABLES

Leafy green vegetables, such as spinach, collard greens and kale, all serve as a good source of antioxidants, particularly for beta-carotene, lutein and vitamin C. Other vegetables include carrots, pumpkin, squash, potatoes and beans. Lutein is particularly abundant in tomatoes and tomato-based products.

MEATS

Animal products also contain certain antioxidants including selenium and vitamin A. Both red and white meats, organ meats such as liver, dairy products, eggs, fish and fish oil are all good sources. Even the antioxidant vitamin C, which is more commonly associated with fruits and vegetables, is available, to some degree, from meat products

Does Dr. Oz have peer reviewed studies to support his claims? Cherry juice is delicious, cherries even better.

Yup, including the prestigious WebMD website - check it out.

Webmd, mayoclinic.com and ucsf are reputable sources for medical info what they publish is not peer reviewed although they do provide links to peer reviewed sources when they show new or controversial findings - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

I would hope Dr Oz would only use peer reviewed results on his show but one would have to check.

My spam folder is full of Dr Oz claims which makes me suspect it's just another network marketing sensation like all the other "miracle" anti-oxident health products that show up about once a year. Weren't mangosteens the last one?

Peer review isn't common in these circles - more usually they quote research which turns out to be covertly funded by the vendor.

Edited by Greenside

There are lots of experts who claim that the whole antioxident craze is largely hype. If you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables anyway, I do not think that you have to worry about eating the latest fashionable one. However, if you like cherries and can afford imported fruits than why not enjoy some every once in a while?

If you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables anyway, I do not think that you have to worry about eating the latest fashionable one.

True, but I would just like to say that a good portion of blueberries every day, seems to have helped me avoid taking statins. Unfortunately, only the frozen blueberries are available, but they're a good second best appx 135 Baht for 500 gms. I eat about 5 packets a week and love them.. Of course as you say, eat loads of other fresh fruits and vegetables too (and still go out for the odd plate of Fish&Chips or Sunday dinner).thumbsup.gif

Edited by uptheos

Considering a small plastic box of imported cherries in Rimping or other supermarkets in Bangkok costs like 299 THB a box, I couldn't imagine the cost of say a litre of the stuff.

And those are the deep red, sweet (Bing?) cherries at Rimping. I don't recall ever seeing the yellow & red "sour" cherries in the produce section. (I believe these are the preferred cherries for some cherry pie fillings.) If Rimping were to import tart cherry juice in quart-size glass bottles, I suspect the price would be about 299 THB per bottle.

Anyway, I was just asking if anyone has seen such juice in Thailand.

I think in Canada it is about 180 baht a liter.

I was just reading a supermarket brochure today from Canada... Extra large red cherries from California 65 bahts for 454 grams. Now get this one in same brochure shrimp product of Thailand. Cooked peeled and deviened size 31/40 .. 125 bahts for 454 grams.. Now try and find them for that price here in thailand.

Want antioxidants? Research olive leaf online (but dig a bit), 400% more potent than vitamin C. For those interested in this type of thing it also supports the immune system and has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, then consider whether having something in the cupboard like this could ever prove useful. Upjohn Pharmaceticals tried to alter it to get a patent on these properties, especially the anti-viral but couldn't get the modified version to work (can't patent the real deal of course).

I was just reading a supermarket brochure today from Canada... Extra large red cherries from California 65 bahts for 454 grams. Now get this one in same brochure shrimp product of Thailand. Cooked peeled and deviened size 31/40 .. 125 bahts for 454 grams.. Now try and find them for that price here in thailand.

Do red cherries qualify as tart cherries?

In Canada 7 years ago the large shrimp were selling for around 200 baht for 454 grams. 1 pound

Edited by hellodolly

well if you lot didnt drink; didnt smoke and didnt gorge yourselves on burgers, then you wouldnt need to be worrying about which fruit and veg do what...........our kidneys and liver were designed to excrete the poisons and impurities from out bodies, so why are you fretting over the de toxing,

ooooh, that was a bit of a statement sorry (just had 4 chang yai!) lets see if my kidneys are still working now.

There are lots of experts who claim that the whole antioxident craze is largely hype.

As are the majority of the health food fetishes these days; Omega3 oil, MegaVitamins, Ginko, Shark cartridge, Chia seeds, kombucha, etc., etc. Green tea is supposed to be the very best anti-cancer 'food' on the market today, yet Japan, which drinks more green tea per person than any other country, has the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world! Go figure...

If you are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables anyway, I do not think that you have to worry about eating the latest fashionable one.

... and THAT is the name of the tune. If you are eating a reasonably varied diet of fruit, veggies, meats, fish, etc., you are getting everything that you need (unless you have some specific medical condition that prevents proper absorption. ) And it doesn't even have to be eating balanced meals or eating good foods 'every day.' The human body can go weeks without fresh input of most vitamins with absolutely no problem. You can eat only protein today, only fruit tomorrow, and only veggies the next day and get all your body's dietary needs satisfied. In fact, the body will only take what it needs from your ingested vitamin tablet and excrete ALL the rest, assuming it takes anything at all. Same with all the other various 'health' supplements. Most of them won't hurt you, but most aren't needed or helpful.

Edited by FolkGuitar

There are lots of experts who claim that the whole antioxident craze is largely hype.

As are the majority of the health food fetishes these days; Omega3 oil, MegaVitamins, Ginko, Shark cartridge, Chia seeds, kombucha, etc., etc. Green tea is supposed to be the very best anti-cancer 'food' on the market today, yet Japan, which drinks more green tea per person than any other country, has the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world! Go figure...

... and THAT is the name of the tune. If you are eating a reasonably varied diet of fruit, veggies, meats, fish, etc., you are getting everything that you need (unless you have some specific medical condition that prevents proper absorption. ) And it doesn't even have to be eating balanced meals or eating good foods 'every day.' The human body can go weeks without fresh input of most vitamins with absolutely no problem. You can eat only protein today, only fruit tomorrow, and only veggies the next day and get all your body's dietary needs satisfied. In fact, the body will only take what it needs from your ingested vitamin tablet and excrete ALL the rest, assuming it takes anything at all. Same with all the other various 'health' supplements. Most of them won't hurt you, but most aren't needed or helpful.

Don't know about the need for them. But am highly suspicious of the content in them. I believe that when they say have blah blah blah in them it might be just atrace of it in them not enough to do any good.

Always have to laugh when some body says proper diet. What s a proper diet. For hundreds of years Laplander s lived off of Cairobu and health officials tell us there is not enough nourishment in them to sustain life. How about the Eskimos who lived off of seals. Do people think that a Asian who lives off of white rice could just switch to one of those diets.

Ask a vegan if beef is a proper diet. Ask a meat and potato eater if vegan food is a proper diet.

And yet they all continue to live. If I remember right it is some of the culture's that rely heavily on fish that live the longest.

At any rate try to find a nutritionist here in Chiang Mai. If you could I imagine they would tell you to cut out white rice. Use brown rice.wai.gif

Don't know about the need for them. But am highly suspicious of the content in them. I believe that when they say have blah blah blah in them it might be just atrace of it in them not enough to do any good.

That's the case with using Vit C to cure a cold. When the study first came out saying Vit C would work, people on the street decided that any old Vit C would do the trick. They forgot the part of the study that read "You need injected mega-doses, far more than the body could absorb orally." So people started eating Vit C every time they caught a cold. And instead of the cold lasting a week, it only lasted 7 days. And the Vitamin companies make a LOT of money. People WANT to believe in miracle cures. God bless Snake Oil.

• Like 1