Power Cuts

We were out for over two hours in Lamai this morning.

This is the year 2006 and Samui has been making big money for sevaral years now, yet it is way behind it's brothers and sisters in Thailand, even Koh Samet has got it's act together and regulated it's power to ensure that cuts are absolutely minimal.

Whoever is in charge of Samui should be utterly ashamed of himself.

If you don't like it then go back to your own country...dig dig.

Seriously though, basic infrastructure is still pretty poor in LOS. No one seems too interested in making much of an improvement to the supply of utilities, it's happening...but ohh so slowly.

PS I'm writing this as I sit here waiting for the water to come back on after nearly 5 hours off....and I live in Nonthaburi, not exactly the back of beyond.

This is the year 2006 and Samui has been making big money for sevaral years now, yet it is way behind it's brothers and sisters in Thailand, even Koh Samet has got it's act together and regulated it's power to ensure that cuts are absolutely minimal.

We were out in Chaweng for a couple of hours this morning as well. So what? This is the first cut we have had since before Christmas. When I came here four years ago we had regular power cuts and often at night when it was really inconvenient. Over the last year (apart from the two periods when they were doing maintenance on the under sea cable) we have had far fewer cuts. There has been a great deal of re-cabling on the island over the last twelve months and things are slowly getting better. Yes there is a lot more to be done but they are getting through it gradually.

Samui, Phangan and Tao are all part of Surat Thani province. All taxes go to the mainland and then are doled out according to population. Since so many Thai people who have moved onto the island refuse to register in the area they are not counted. Also, all the farang residents on the island are not counted. Thus putting a strain on the infrastructure without the island getting compensation in return.

Something to think about before moaning about power cuts.

i wish people would stop moaning about this place and just go somewhere else

I live out in the sticks in the Central region and we rarely get power cuts here unless there is a fault. Basically we have electricity 99% of the time.

The water supply however, is not that good and is only around for perhaps 85% of the time and it has been out for a couple of days now.

We have around 20,000 litres of water storage which sound a lot but as there are 12 people living here, using the toilets, having a shower, doing the laundry etc that isn't an awful lot of water stored.

This years project is to double the water storage but then I have to fill the extra tanks which takes some time to do.

Last year we had to buy water from the village at around 300 baht a tanker load.

Well at least you got the year right. The rest of your post is crap.

My God, no power, what am I going to do.........................!

TIT, get use to it, or..........go for a swim (read, i will not break my new years resolution)