Conventional Mail

How does everyone else fare when it comes to receiving mail on time? I received multiple copies of a monthly magazine (correctly addressed etc) on Xmas eve after only receiving 1 copy since April 2005!

(...& my phone bills usually arrive AFTER their 'pay by' date, despite being generated by the company that owns the post office!!)

Never had much of a problem, all the bills arrive well before the due date, as does other mail. International no problems either, letters to/from the UK 4-6 days on average, parcels 10-14 days. I have had the odd letter and parcel take longer, one letter took a month once, but it's not the norm.

Ok, sorry evadgib, I'll shut up!

Any offence was unintentional. Some problems encountered locally inc:

i) Legal documents (from UK) taking 2 months to arrive.

ii) An important letter dated 10 Nov arriving on Xmas eve.

iii) My phone being cut off because i haven't paid the (unreceived) bill!

I have traced several items (from both directions) but cannot establish where the fault lies. The purpose of my original post was to establish the extent of the problem within Samui archapeligao.....

How does everyone else fare when it comes to receiving mail on time? I received multiple copies of a monthly magazine (correctly addressed etc) on Xmas eve after only receiving 1 copy since April 2005!

(...& my phone bills usually arrive AFTER their 'pay by' date, despite being generated by the company that owns the post office!!)

My phone bill arrives at least one day after the due date - without fail. Other bills also have a tendency to come on or close to the due date and have to be paid immediately otherwise its a trip to Nathon.

Other mail I am not so sure about - nobody sends me anything except bills.

Mail to my office address is pretty good for most things - we get a delivery every day. Phone bills are the worst for some reason and they ALWAYS arrive late. Post to my home address might arrive once a week (if we are lucky) and my phone bill for the home phone was one month late.

For sending mail if it is important I have found EMS to be very effective and quick.

Mail to my office address is pretty good for most things - we get a delivery every day. Phone bills are the worst for some reason and they ALWAYS arrive late. Post to my home address might arrive once a week (if we are lucky) and my phone bill for the home phone was one month late.

For sending mail if it is important I have found EMS to be very effective and quick.

My parents have sent me a Christmas card, but I haven't seen it yet............ bleeding banana republic this island is....

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Nakhon Si Thamarrat, in a gated community, delivery of magazine was sporadic and I was also receiving bills late, and packages never received.

I now have a Post office box, problem solved. Everything is alwasy on time now, even a weekly magazine such as Time.

I know our mailman personally as well as everyone in the local PO (koh Phangan) so my mail always arrives. Even if it is addressed to me, first name only!

Some customers of ours had booked plane tickets with one of those dodgy travel agents near the train station in BKK and when they went to pick them up the agent was closed. They were on their way here so once they got here we called and they promised to mail the tickets right away. (This is sunday night), well come thursday, still no tickets. So, my husband told the mailman that we were exepcting an important letter, he kept his eye out for it and delivered our letter outside his normal working hours.

All in all, I get excellent service from my PO.

• 1 year later...

I have a colleague [in Thailand] who will send me a letter [in the USA] this week. It needs to arrive and arrive in a week. Could someone suggest a good carrier. Or tell me how to contact EMS.

EMS is quite slow, standard air mail is quicker aprox 5days to EU. to USA no idea.

UPS or FEDEX is only way to guarantee it will arrive within a week.

On the ring road between the lamdin trffic light and the tesco traffic lights. tel 077 413 3229

I have sent packages and large envelopes to international destinations and domestic and have had them never arrive. I have also had the same sent to me from overseas that never arrived.

It is very hit or miss; in my case about 50-50.

The only advice for sending from Samui is buy the white Thailand Post boxes and use them. It seems that there might be something about having paid the PO for the boxes makes the thieves hesitate. As for people sending something here, make sure it is registered. That also seems to help (and always do it when sending from Samui).

Never send anything of value either monetarily or sentimental.

We also know our postie - he's a lovely man and very good with our dog, which makes a change :D Plus Hubby knows everyone at the post office so if he has a hunch that something just hasn't been delivered he pops into the sorting room for a quick look :D We get our bills late all of the time though - telephone etc. International mail seems pretty good on the whole. I get packages from home all the time, parcels from the UK tend to take 1-2 weeks, and I got a couple of postcards from the US yesterday which took about the same amount of time. When we had our baby though, my aunt sent us a parcel from Spain and it was returned to her stating our address didn't exist, so I think sometimes things go wrong :o Can't say the mail here is any worse than the mail back home though.

my post from europe has always been

delivered on time it takes between

10 to 16 days

from Belgium, Holland

Ok, sorry evadgib, I'll shut up!

Any offence was unintentional. Some problems encountered locally inc:

i) Legal documents (from UK) taking 2 months to arrive.

ii) An important letter dated 10 Nov arriving on Xmas eve.

iii) My phone being cut off because i haven't paid the (unreceived) bill!

I have traced several items (from both directions) but cannot establish where the fault lies. The purpose of my original post was to establish the extent of the problem within Samui archapeligao.....

I always find it takes 3-4 days to get to Bangkok then 10-15 days to get from Bangkok to Samui

Also i have had many items sent which i have never recieved, so only get sent registered post from UK. Also you have to bear in mind the Postman on Koh Samui are a very lazy bunch, they will just leave your mail on the floor outside you house/work, even if you have a postbox!!!! Now with this a lot of the post gets blown away or soaked via the rain or even pinched. But if registered they actually wait for you or knock on the door to get the letter/parcel signed