Do You Carry A Weapon?

I was driving the Mio on my way to Nathon from Lamai today about 2pm and was just past the turn to Hinta Hinyai when one of those ubiquitous black trucks (a new Triton I think) passed me with a whisper between me and his vehicle. He came frighteningly close to hitting me. I hit my horn; no hand gestures or anything -- and sounded the horn for about a second or two.

A few seconds after he rips past me he slams on the breaks -- locking them as the car screeches and slides forward for what seemed a long time. He must have been going at least 80 since was doing 60. I'm thinking, "Oh no. Not one of these moronic Thai hothead drivers..." and I too break and stop about 50 meters behind him and think I might just go around him, but I start to favor going on the right, and he lurches the car forward to the right; I try the left and he does the same. He's trying to block me. I notice a cement mixer coming next in oncoming traffic and I wonder if I might be able to play him in a game of chicken so that he gets hit head on (his right "blocking" move put him well into the oncoming lane), but by this time I have come up almost too close to the back of his truck to maneuver. I look inside and see a Thai woman looking at the Thai man with that, "<deleted> ARE YOU DOING?" expression of anger and fear, and the Thai guy starts to open the door. I have just enough room for one left side feign and he closes the door while swerving severely to the left to cut me off.

Discretion being the better part of valor, I did a very quick U-turn in the left shoulder, drove a bit on the wrong side of the road and took an opening to start driving away in the opposite direction, where I went for a few hundred meters and waited a few minutes before going back toward Nathon.

(By some chance, I did see him parked in front of the Honda dealership in Nathon just at the turn to the beachfront road, and he recognized me but by the time I had the same sense, I was already past -- not that I would have stopped. Unfortunately, I did not get his licence plate number so that I could keep an eye out for a future key tagging.)

So that's the story, now the subject. When I stopped initially, I thought (after thinking this guy was a moron), "I should sit here and see what comes out of the car. I still have wheels to escape or maneuver, or I can get off the bike and see if he's interested in seeing my stamp collection." I wasn't worried about a knife, although I did not want to have to deal with that, since usually, even if you come out okay, there will be blood. What turned my hand, and my mind, was the very real possibility that this numbnuts would come out with a handgun. Since I haven't practiced the catching bullets in mid-flight technique in a long time, I thought it best to just retreat.

But it got me to thinking, would I be better served to carry a knife? A can of pepper spray (if small enough)? I mean if the situation had been different and I had had no choice but to square off with him, if he had had a knife and I didn't, things would be a bit tenser. Wouldn't it be better to have a pocket knife in your -- yes, pocket -- just in case? Or is carrying a weapon a subconscious inducement to resorting to using it, when, as in my case, running away served the purpose quite well.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you did the right thing by getting yourself out of the dangerous situation. I don't think it's being a chicken, you are just avoiding a situation you can't win. Even if you won the fight, you'd likely then need to get your ass off of Samui and possibly out of Thailand pretty damned quick. You won't win the the repercussions.

For god sake don't start carrying a knife, do you really want to be stabbing someone

because of a minor (and rather normal) driving incident? And anyway, there's an old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight.

If u picka fight with a thai then you should assume that they have a gun in the car as allot i mean a hell of alllot of them do have.

So my advise is not to get in an confrontation with a Thai. If you have a problem with a Thai. Make a note of it and call another thai to help clear the problem.

the law in thailand is based to protect Thai people so you cannot win beleive me. The only thing you can do if you have a serious confrontation is to find a well respected Thai to have a sit down to let everyone know that all is clear and there shall be no further problems and that is that.

If you carry a weapon. depending on how the police want to push it. you can get the same trouble for carring a knuckle duster or a knife as an unlicenced gun.

which mean 9 months in jail and depotation.

don;t be fooled about the shop owners selling them makes it legal to carry. maybe if you used a weapon in your house agianst a burgler you should be ok should u make a police report.

beleive me you are in a lose lose situation if you take on Thai people while they are driving. gun beats knives. getting caught with an unlisenced gun equals jail and depotation.

so as they say....up to u

my thoughts: you or an a Yamaha Mio, he is in a big Triton.

I ride motorcycles both in the USA and in Thailand (so I am not anti biker by any means), but in both places motorcycles are deemed as second class citizens. In Thailand this is especially true as the thoughts of the Thai are if you were of any importance whatsoever you would be in a car.

In Thailand, the motorcycle is expected to get the hell out of the way of cars. He probably passed you in the manner that he did because he felt you were driving too slow and blocking him from passing you. That's happened to me because Thai's in cars hate being behind bikes. Before he passed you were you aware that he was behind you? How long was he behind you, and were you impeding him from passing? Like were you in the middle of the lane or did you ride to the left so as to allow others to pass on the right? I surmise that that might have been where the initial problem arose. If you notice, most Thais on scooters on rides towards the left on highways (or any non-city road) almost in the dirt on the side of the road. Let's face it, what you are on is not a real powerful bike, and cannot outrun a Triton and he was moving significantly faster than you are. Thais expect bikes to get out of the way and not block a faster moving car as it tries to pass. I have a 400cc in Thailand and a literbike in the USA. Both of them are capable of keeping up with or outrunning most cars. Unless you are riding faster or are able to keep pace with the speed, stay to the left to avoid problems. If he passed you "within a whisper" he may have been trying to send you the message of "you were in the middle of the lane and I have been stuck behind you and you are not faster than me". I have not had a problem with Thais behind me getting mad at me on a big bike going at speed. If I am on a scooter or little 150cc jobbie, I get honked at. On a mio, someone behind you may get upset. Just my thoughts.

getting caught with an unlisenced gun equals jail and depotation.

Luckily then it's legal to get a license for one, even for Farangs.

Interesting....so where is the local gun shop?

believe me forangs cannot own guns. Thais have themselves protected from people from out of country by not allowing forangs to won guns. anyone who says you can are lying and if u think u hav bought i gun legally and show it off you could be on the plane in 9 months

Rumour has it the Smokes carries a big grudge as his arsenal.

Don't touch Smokie, full of hot air, will burst & hurt you.That's what they call a walking time bomb, WMD.

I have been driving small, two-wheelers for over 25 years. (I also have a chopper here in Samui). I was driving, as I always do, along the left tire well of the road. It is not safe or legal to drive along the shoulder (killer grates spring to mind as one thing). To answer your question more, I was passed by several cars (who always drive faster than bikes, in the main). I was doing about 60kph-65kph, not impeding traffic. As you know, cars generally do "go around you" by moving right of you -- some even beep their intentions. This guy, instead of moving to the right at all, kept as close to the middle of the road as he could, thereby in effect passing with the left side of the truck where I was driving. And he was going pretty fast, maybe 80kph, could have been more. Seriously, his vehicle could not have been more than a foot from me, maybe closer. It was one of those SHITT! adrenalin pops.

We've all had this sort of irresponsible, jackass move made when we were driving; I would not be surprised if it was done on purpose. Sort of a one-sided playing chicken or just that, "Fuk the farang" mentality. There was no sane reason to cut it so close.

As for drugs, I did think at the time that, knowing far more about the ice scene here than I ever wanted to know, or thought I would ever know, it was a very real possibly. That mixed with ethnocentric road rage would spell a no-win situation in any country.

By the way, whatever happened to that personal protection device that shot a super high-powered light (like a photo flash) that temporarily blinds the attacker? I always thought that was a great idea.

a ? can my wife carry a gun if shes in the car with me,i remember a few year ago i was in a irish pub in pattaya and some guys from nothern ireland started a fight with me i was with 2 bar girls i knew a long time only friends but this person just wanted to fight a with me and took a knife out one of the girls called the police from the toilet and the other girl took a gun out of her bag and put it up to his head i was a bit scared at this but the police came in guns every where pointing at the thai lady she took her id out and gave a phone no, to the police man in charge he called the no, then put her on the phone to talk to someone then the police arrested all the guys who wanted to fight me,she said pa,pa, she top in army i can do,true but weird story.

Edited by oggie911

getting caught with an unlisenced gun equals jail and depotation.

Luckily then it's legal to get a license for one, even for Farangs.

a ? can my wife carry a gun if shes in the car with me,i remember a few year ago i was in a irish pub in pattaya and some guys from nothern ireland started a fight with me i was with 2 bar girls i knew a long time only friends but this person just wanted to fight a with me and took a knife out one of the girls called the police from the toilet and the other girl took a gun out of her bag and put it up to his head i was a bit scared at this but the police came in guns every where pointing at the thai lady she took her id out and gave a phone no, to the police man in charge he called the no, then put her on the phone to talk to someone then the police arrested all the guys who wanted to fight me,she said pa,pa, she top in army i can do,true but weird story.

Did pa pa know she was P4P?

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1