Type ไทย Like A Native

fire69water

I would assume that anything of benefit to those interested in the Thai language is fine, as long as it isn't commercial. But why don't you ask a moderator just to be on the safe side?

I personally wouldn't be interested in a rearranged keyboard layout--if you're going to learn to type Thai, you ought to learn to really type like a native, with the keyboard layout the natives use, if only to be able to type on any computers anywhere in Thailand. But maybe that's just me. smile.png

A non-standard keyboard arrangement? Why would anyone want to use that?

Because--incredibly-- just like the english QWERTY setup, both of the most popular Thai keyboard arrangements are made to incapacitate your ability to type fast....

Because--incredibly-- just like the english QWERTY setup, both of the most popular Thai keyboard arrangements are made to incapacitate your ability to type fast....

That was fine when its original purpose was not to outrun a mechanical typewriter, but no longer necessary with computer keyboards. Must be the Thai equivalent of the Dvorak keyboard that simplifies key strokes and speeds up typing.

Is there anyone on TV for whom high speed touch typing in Thai is important? Has anyone even bothered to time his typing speed in Thai? Sounds like a good solution to a problem that no one has.

• Like 1

For me typing speed in any language is really just a case of practice makes perfect, and anyhow my current speed in both Thai and English is perfectly sufficient for the amount of typing I do, and anyways I find my brain is more of a limiting factor to how fast I can type in both languages. I'm a fast typer but a slow thinker. Or is it fast typist and slow thinkist?

Based on the "suitable for non-Thais" wording of the topic post, though, I'd guess this new layout isn't so much designed specifically to improve typing speed, but rather to make it easier for people used to the qwerty keyboard layout to type in Thai. Put por pla and phor phaan on the P, tor tao and thor thahaan on the T, sara i and sara ii on the I, sara oh and or aang on the O, nor nuu and nor nen on the N, khor khwai and khor khai on the K, etc.... keep the tone marks somewhere easily accessible, and put all the rarely used junk off in the far corners.

It's actually a pretty neat idea--assuming that is the idea--but I'd still rather stick to the standard layout. Guess I'm really a conformist at heart.

Dear friends,

Thanks for all your comments.

I called my Thai keyboard QWERTYThai. Just slap a .com and will reach my website.

In addition, I went ahead and rearranged the Lao keyboard, calling it, what else, but QWERTYLao. QWERTYLao is now only for Mac. Currently QWERTYLao website is not available but interested Mac users can pm me. When I get hold of a Windows machine, I'll do it for Windows.

See you there.

• Like 1

Looks like a fine idea. Exactly how Japanese write Japanese....

Btw, no need to write legalese all over your website. Declaring copyright has been redundant for some time. And I suspect it is not trademarked in any national or international system, so there's no point in sticking "TM" everywhere.... ;)

From my experience, a rearranged keyboard for Thai would only be usefull for people who type Thai in their job and have a skill for touch typing (I think I don't: after more than 12 years of touch typing I don't get faster than about 150 letters per minute, because mistakes slow me down.)

I can touch type on QUERTY and self-taught Dvorak, but I didn't get to the same speed on Dvorak as on QUERTY and even worse, I make similar mistakes on Dvorak as on QUERTY. (If the different arrangement had prevented me from making mistakes, I would have changed, but so it't not worth changing). I can touch type Thai as well.

Edited by ChristianPFC