Im Going To Buy A New Clothes Washing Machine..Siemens Or Electrolux

ericg1953

I am ready to buy a new washing machine for clothes washing and wanted to get some opinions of the best machines out there. I am looking at 7kg machines at around the 20k baht mark. I have had good luck in the past with Electrolux but some of the saleguys in HomePro,HW are talking up the Siemans as superior quality to Electrolux. Both are around 20k and features and load cap about the same.

Firstly, I would not go on the advice of local sales guys...going out on a limb here but I would imagine not one of those sales guys has ever used a washing machine they are trying to sell you.

We have a Samsung topload type that came with the condo we rent. Only issue we have had was the hose connector is plastic and broke one day. Walked into the samsung service shop near my office and got it replaced. Could not find the part at my local homepro. Guess what I am saying is service wise, can your recommended siemens be serviced easily enough should it be required?

Edited by bkkjames

Electrolux Washing machines are made in Thailand and therefore have easy replacement parts and service on offer.

I have two condos with electrolux washing machines and they are used 3-4 times a week with no problems so far.

One is 8 yrs old and the other is 3 yrs.

I bought my latest one for 13500bt 6.5 kg 850 spin.

The best feature that it has is a 45min quick wash option that saves energy & water consumption and most importantly the ware and tear

on your clothes is reduced dramatically as a regular wash is between 2-3 hrs.

This way you can wash clothes that have been slightly worn frequently.

With washing machines there is very little difference between one and another. Purchase one that is manufactured to international standards (IEC). They should be fitted with a compliant 3 pin 10A plug top and 3 core lead. Operation should be 230-240V 50Hz. Most have LCD displays with buttons for the operating functions and time settings. Generally there are 3 different wash cycles and optional drip-dry/spin function. 5 to 6 kg load max.

It is up to you whether you purchase a top load type of front load. Personally I prefer a top load model.

A heater is not required as all detergents now use cold water.

Warranty should be at least 12months, extended warranty may be available in many cases at a nominal extra charge.

The socket outlet at the place of use should be 3 pin with the earthing contact earthed. It should be protected by an RCD.

The socket outlet at the place of use should be 3 pin with the earthing contact earthed. It should be protected by an RCD.

I am trying to understand something in a book about this: "GFCIs cannot be used for clothes dryers whose grounded neutral is connected to the frame of the appliance". Might this apply?

Thanks...I think I will buy the electrolux. Like I mentioned before I have had good luck with their products. They make a great electric bbq that turns out some very good steaks/ribs..I also have a toaster oven from them that I use every day and havent had a prob with either of them in the 5 yrs I have been using them.

I am trying to understand something in a book about this: "GFCIs cannot be used for clothes dryers whose grounded neutral is connected to the frame of the appliance". Might this apply?

If the neutral is grounded in the dryer a connected RCD (GFCI) would trip.

A neutral must not be grounded ( earthed) at the equipment. The neutral must be earthed at the switchboard, there must be no neutral earthed on the load side of an RCD/RCBO/GFCI.

There are models in the US which operate on 115/230V 60Hz. These do not comply with IEC or TIS (Thai Industrial standards).

Edited by electau