Crumpets At Butter Is Better

butterisbetter

Pikelets (spelled pyclets in Derby) and crumpets are different depending on where you live:

Wiki

English crumpet

Crumpets are generally circular roughly 7 cm in diameter and roughly 2 cm thick. Their shape comes from being restrained in the pan/griddle by a shallow ring. They have a characteristic flat top with many small pores and a chewy and spongy texture. They may be cooked until ready to eat warm from the pan, but are frequently left slightly undercooked so that they may be cooled and stored before being eaten freshly toasted. In Australia and New Zealand, branded square crumpets can be purchased from supermarkets, designed to fit easily in a standard toaster.[4]

In England, there is also a regional variant of the crumpet called the pikelet. It is usually made from the same batter as a crumpet, but the way in which it differs from a crumpet varies from place to place. In some parts of England (for example in the Midlands, around Wolverhampton) a pikelet is simply a crumpet without holes. In other parts (for example, Lancashire) it has holes, but is wider, thinner and more irregular than a crumpet because it is made without being restrained by a mould, and so spreads in the pan (or griddle) while cooking.[5]

In other areas, particularly Wales, Australia and New Zealand, a 'pikelet' is very different from a crumpet—the word describes something very similar to what in Scotland and North America is called a pancake and in England is called a Scotch pancake, girdle or griddle cake, or drop scone.[6]

No, I don't believe in square crumpets. It's obscene, like a square tomato or a square orange.

Crumpets are circular, spongy, usually a trifle burnt on the toasting fork in front of a log fire, and slathered with butter. If it doesn't fit that definition, it's not a true crumpet.

Where can I find the nearest log fire?

Would not like to enjoy them improperly.

Is there crumpet police?

I know there are spelling police.

got to admit i laugh a little at those english muffins comments

just buy it, load up with marmite and grated cheese and toast it. i would certainly assure you the following few days will be loaded with threads asking for more crumpets instead of sunday roasts and sandwich

Apparently if you eat them without toasting them first and spread them with Vegemite thing then the crumpet police will show.

Where can I find the nearest log fire?

Would not like to enjoy them improperly.

Is there crumpet police?

I know there are spelling police.

Apparently if you eat them without toasting them first and spread them with Vegemite thing then the crumpet police will show.

You'll be driven out of town by a posse of Englishmen carrying toasting forks!

got to admit i laugh a little at those english muffins comments

just buy it, load up with marmite and grated cheese and toast it. i would certainly assure you the following few days will be loaded with threads asking for more crumpets instead of sunday roasts and sandwich

English muffins and crumpets two completely different items.

You'll be driven out of town by a posse of Englishmen carrying toasting forks!

If one throws a toasting-fork, is that a trident missile, I wonder ? coffee1.gif

It's a slow morning, here in Mae Jo, absolute bliss ! rolleyes.gif

We ran out today due to a) strong demand and B) 2 faulty batches. The first was my fault: too much salt. The 2nd failure was due to the staff's belief that they didn't really have to exactly follow the recipe. So between my mishap and theirs, we ended up with some flat and unappetizing objects for which maybe some use can be found in the upcoming discus event in London. On Thursday, we will distribute whatever edible crumpets we manage to make (so far 28 pieces) among our 3 stores.

I've had high hopes of crumpets being finally available in Chiangmai. I know Andrew had a shot about a year or more ago - the result was off by some way. I thought he'd given up on the idea for good. I tried the product made at one other place - better but still not there. I shall be at Meechok tomorrow to try the latest result - which does look good in the photo. I suspect I'll have to try a few times before I manage to get to the shop before they run out.....