Satilete Dish Psi With An S9 Decoder Box

jamescollister

A bit bored and drinking beer on a Sunday night, everyone in bed on a stinking hot night.

So here goes, a friend came to visit a month ago and said he has a PSI satellite dish with a S9 decoder box and gets English language TV for free. Don't watch much TV, but would not mind a few English speaking programs. Not going to pay for UBC or true for a few hours a week

Get the wife to phone the satellite man. and he says yes.

Today bozo the clown and 2 side kicks roll up to plug the S9 decoder in. We all ready have a PSI dish.

No English language TV appears except the bible channels, I say to the clown why. Bozo says, you are too far from Ubon to get the signal. Now I look on in amazement and in my half Thai Lao and English say, it's a F---n satellite up in space.

Clown and side kicks left as I began to question my sanity.

Does anyone here have or know of a system that has English, other than bible stories. Jim

Jim,

I have a system at the farm which gives you Australia Network, BBC World and a whole heap of others. I already had an adjustable dish from a previous sat system and the guy just realligned it and tuned in the set top box. Total cost about 1800 baht. Due to where your house is in the village and the surrounding vegetation the problem maybe that to get these channels the dish has to be aligned towards the east and very low on the horizon so you might not be able to get it at your house.

Jim,

I have a system at the farm which gives you Australia Network, BBC World and a whole heap of others. I already had an adjustable dish from a previous sat system and the guy just realligned it and tuned in the set top box. Total cost about 1800 baht. Due to where your house is in the village and the surrounding vegetation the problem maybe that to get these channels the dish has to be aligned towards the east and very low on the horizon so you might not be able to get it at your house.

I have a IPM dish do you think the set top box would work with this dish? might be worth me investing 1800 baht to get some more english channel's.

You need a FTA receiver & C band dish.

There are available; many English news, sports, music, even one or two movie channels.

With a fixed dish you'll need to prioritize, I would pick 166.0 E Intelsat 8.

There you can get English NHK , Australia Network & BBC news.

Jim,

I have a IPM dish do you think the set top box would work with this dish? might be worth me investing 1800 baht to get some more english channel's.

Only thing I can suggest is go see the guys who sell the Thai sat set up and ask them if they can set you up with the sat that gives you Australia Network.. The guys arouond our area understand what that means. You definately wont get anything other than Russia Today on the Thai sat set up. Its a matter of getting the dish aligned to the correct satellite. If you go to the Australia Network website there is an explanation of which satellite you need to tune into.

• Like 1

like sezzo says you can get the australian network on intel sat 8 which is very low to the horizon so you need a clear view to the east, if you cant get that sat try asiasat3 which is almost directly overhead has a couple of news channels on it i.e.channel news asia and aljazzera as well as movie channel lotus tv which has a lot of repeats.Cheers Hazman

I agree with James. If it's a satellite why does it have to face the horizon. Don't they change position depending on time of day and the planets rotation.

I'm not trying to be smart because I have a similar situation at my home near Loei.

We tried True, but I cancelled it because lack of use. We bought a 3000bht dish with multiple channels. 99% Asian channels. I'd love to get some English channels.

With ever changing technology I'm curious what other ways there are to access English language channels. I can stream, but internet is not strong and usually very slow CAT.

I agree with James. If it's a satellite why does it have to face the horizon. Don't they change position depending on time of day and the planets rotation.

I'm not trying to be smart because I have a similar situation at my home near Loei.

We tried True, but I cancelled it because lack of use. We bought a 3000bht dish with multiple channels. 99% Asian channels. I'd love to get some English channels.

With ever changing technology I'm curious what other ways there are to access English language channels. I can stream, but internet is not strong and usually very slow CAT.

These types of satellites are in geosynchronous orbit which means they are orbiting around the earth at the same speed and same direction that the earth is rotating. The net effect is from an observer on earths perspective the satellite appears stationary in the sky.

• Like 1

These types of satellites are in geosynchronous orbit which means they are orbiting around the earth at the same speed and same direction that the earth is rotating. The net effect is from an observer on earths perspective the satellite appears stationary in the sky.

Cheers, I learnt something today.

Another interesting although off topic fact:

There is no true dark side of the moon. The moon rotates just like the earth does and so all parts of the moon experience day and night. The interesting bit is that the moon rotates at exactly the right speed so as to keep the same face visible to any observer around the planet so we never get to see the 'dark side' from earth.

Another interesting although off topic fact:

There is no true dark side of the moon. The moon rotates just like the earth does and so all parts of the moon experience day and night. The interesting bit is that the moon rotates at exactly the right speed so as to keep the same face visible to any observer around the planet so we never get to see the 'dark side' from earth.

So did Pink Floyd get it right or wrong? w00t.gif

So did Pink Floyd get it right or wrong? w00t.gif

They got it right

Eclipse

(Waters) 2:04

All that you touch

All that you see

All that you taste

All you feel.

All that you love

All that you hate

All you distrust

All you save.

All that you give

All that you deal

All that you buy,

beg, borrow or steal.

All you create

All you destroy

All that you do

All that you say.

All that you eat

And everyone you meet

All that you slight

And everyone you fight.

All that is now

All that is gone

All that's to come

and everything under the sun is in tune

but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Edited by PREM-R
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, think I just need a satellite installer that in fact knows what he is about. Saw another black [think PSI] pointing a good 25 degrees angle from mine. Spoke to another Thai sat. guy and he thinks [ again ] that I may need a different signal collector on the dish.

Logic dictates that there most be a ton of satellites orbiting the equator and some will have English channels. guess it's a case of searching the net, finding where they are parked and the right decoder box.

Can't really blame the locals, electricity is still new around here. Jim

Bible channels, Russia Today one Asean and Myamar channel.

Maybe it is a waste of time trying to each English to the locals.

400 channels and next to nothing in English.

Those are the only channels I get and I do live in Ubon.

Do you live in the city itself?

I'm in Pathume district near Pathume Pit high school. Truth be told I'm not sure if that is Ubon or adjacent to it.

Im not quite sure where that is sorry. The reason I ask is because Ubon has two cable companies and if you are on a street that has cable you can connect for about 300 baht per month. This will get you BBC, Aljazerra, a movie channel and most importantly for me, the Australia network. Ask your neighbours or down at the local shop and find out.

Start by looking here: http://www.lyngsat.com/asia.html

Figure out what satellite you want.

Get a. "C" band dish ( with a "C" LNB)

"KU" band, (small dish) is mostly scrambled, premium channels.

Forget about PSI.

Find a decent installer.

Would a C band dish, get live football from england? BPL.

If Australia or BBC news are showing it, yes.

Edited by soidog2

All you need to know about Satellite reception in the region can be found on the Satbeams

http://satbeams.com/

Also for the more technically minded try looking through the online back issues of Tele-Satellite magazine which contains a wealth of information about KU & C band reception along with equipment reviews etc.

http://www.tele-satellite.us/

The back issues can be downloaded as pdf files and provide a good read.

There use to be a piece of software for the pc called satcodx which may still be found on the torrent sites. You input your lat/long, size of dish, and it tells you which satellites you can receive subject to having a line of sight ( not blocked by building or trees etc )