Thailand Offers Japan Bt5 Mln Aid For Recent Flood, Landslides

webfact

Thailand offers Japan Bt5 mln aid for recent flood, landslides

image_20120723120637B23AD7BA-C7A9-9D21-58034FF4A10ECFF1.jpg

BANGKOK, July 23 - Thailand has offered Japan financial assistance of Bt5 million to help address Japan's recent natural disasters, both flooding and landslides, in the southwestern island of Kyushu.

Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, as the government's representative, presented the funds to Japanese Embassy to Thailand's Political Affairs Minister Takashi Okada.

Mr Surapong expressed condolences on behalf of the government and people of Thailand and expressed his desire that Japan can revive from the twin disasters as soon as possible.

The Thai foreign minister said the assistance was to affirm Thai-Japanese relations as close countries that help each other in times of crisis.

Mr Takashi thanked the Thai government for such aid, noting that Thailand was the first nation assisting Japan for this matter.

Kyushu's four prefectures --Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Oita, and Saga-- were hit by Tropical Storm Khanun's heavy rain in mid-July and the natural disasters followed. The Thai prme minister earlier visited two of the prefectures. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-23

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Japan-donates-200-boats-240-mobile-toilets-to-Thai-30168243.html

Japan donates 200 boats, 240 mobile toilets to Thailand

October 21, 2011 12:00 am

Japan has given a large number of relief supplies including 240 mobile toilet units to Thailand.

Speaking at a hand-over ceremony, Japanese ambassador Seiji Kojkma repeated an insistence that Honda was considering relocation from Thailand after a large plant in Ayutthaya had been flooded.

Also donated are 200 boat engines and 450 life vests handed over, to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in the ceremony, apart from Bt12 million in cash

earlier.

Oh, international diplomacy, it is just so difficult to remember how much was given to whom and by whom........

Japan GDP 5.87 Trillion

Thailand GDP 346 Billion

Some of the posts here are an insult to common sense. And almost surely from posters who haven't lifted a finger from their keyboard to help in this crisis but are quick to condemn others for showing support.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

They did pay 7 million a piece for the Redshirts who were killed in the riots. Guess they are out of money now.

Japan, just recovering from its own natural disaster earlier this year, announced a donation of relief supplies earlier this week, including 240 mobile toilet units, 200 boat engines and 450 life vests. This was in addition to Bt12 million (US$390,000) in cash handed over to the Thai government at the beginning of October.

October 27, 2011

The donations, which were made by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) include tents, blankets, mattresses, water tanks, water purifiers and electricity generators.

Japan is the second country which has offered assistance to flood victims in Thailand. Earlier this week, the People’s Republic of China handed cash and necessities worth totally over 80 million THB to the flood relief operation center.

Edited by waza

$167,000 USD? That will go far.

much further than countries offering $0.00

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

With that sort of apologist logic if a friend of mine's daughter was dying and desperately needed money for a life saving operation costing $50,000 and I gave him 5 baht it would go much further than someone who gave nothing.

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

I'd like to add a hundred or so baht. Where do I send it?

Oh, just pop over to the Japanese Embassy and hand it to Political Affairs Minister Takashi Okada. He will gladly stick it in the envelope he just received from the Thai FM.

With that sort of apologist logic if a friend of mine's daughter was dying and desperately needed money for a life saving operation costing $50,000 and I gave him 5 baht it would go much further than someone who gave nothing.

Do you not have $50k because the Japanese do have the resources to deal with this.

If the person was considerably poorer than you and was simply showing you they cared, would you still have such an idiotic view that you need go to incredibly unequal comparisons to let everyone know how negative you are?

Why even have a comparison? The facts are very clear ... You have one of the most modern and richest countries in the world who suffered a natural disaster and a much poorer country steps up and offer a monetary gesture (only country to do do) to let this country know they care and appreciate the support the richer country has given them in times of disaster. And you have a problem with this.

No need to use analogies, this is a very easy thing to understand unless you are a miserable person who has miserable views.

Do you not have $50k because the Japanese do have the resources to deal with this.

If the person was considerably poorer than you and was simply showing you they cared, would you still have such an idiotic view that you need go to incredibly unequal comparisons to let everyone know how negative you are?

Why even have a comparison? The facts are very clear ... You have one of the most modern and richest countries in the world who suffered a natural disaster and a much poorer country steps up and offer a monetary gesture (only country to do do) to let this country know they care and appreciate the support the richer country has given them in times of disaster. And you have a problem with this.

No need to use analogies, this is a very easy thing to understand unless you are a miserable person who has miserable views.

The disturbing thing to me is that a lot of Thai people are still to receive the promised 5,000 Baht compensation for their total loss during last year floods in Thailand, 5,000,000 Baht would certainly be better spent on 1,000 Thai families.

Now, don't get me wrong, IF all the government promises were fulfilled, and every thai had received compensation, it would be a noble gesture to help another country.

The disturbing thing to me is that a lot of Thai people are still to receive the promised 5,000 Baht compensation for their total loss during last year floods in Thailand, 5,000,000 Baht would certainly be better spent on 1,000 Thai families.

Now, don't get me wrong, IF all the government promises were fulfilled, and every thai had received compensation, it would be a noble gesture to help another country.

I certainly can understand the view of needing to take care of your own people first before giving money to one of the most richest countries in the world but Japan has always been there for Thailand, including during the floods you speak about. While the amount is not great from a rich country's perspective, they understand the average Thai does,'t make this amount in their life time. The amount seems to be a standard amount I believe they are allowed to provide in international aid without going through any kind of vote or law passing.