Any Farang In Ubon

MarcoH

Yep, still here Marco!

Fancy Korean Beef one night?

Jay & Thaibites,, nice to hear from you guy's and Korean is always good, was actually out last night and eat that,,,,we should be in town almost every day, but send me your hotmail addy, so we can chat there,,,,

Jay

Leg's are bit rore now,,,,but this time i think is nothing to do with Sea, more like aftermath from "Chang",,, first feb, should be here,,,,

Hey got some rumors that central is heading to Ubon and Big C will expand to opposite they existing land? any thing from any one about this???

that is that Centarl would renovate that empty hospital building by the ex Index was....

anything else i havent heard? as i have been out at sea last 3mths....

Hey Lads

Where is this Korean food that you keep reffering to. Is it close to the town centre because I would like to take my wife there for a meal when we arrive. Is the food any good or just the beef?

Jay

Hi Marco & Thaibites

To turn to another subject. I am thinking about A/DSL or GPRS in our Ubon home. Any experiences you may have had with either would be helpful along with any contact info: of shops that could help me out. DSL is faster but I don't like the idea of paying for the months when I am not around. Maybe thinking of GPRS which is slower but could do for emails and such on the occassions we are in Ubon for holidays, few months a year just to keep in touch with my office whilst i'm away. Just paying when I need it may be better suited that is if i can use my phone and laptop to connect through GPRS/Internet locally with a sim card from TELEWIZ or somewhere similar. What do you think lads? Any input welcomed...

Jay

Hey Lads

Where is this Korean food that you keep reffering to. Is it close to the town centre because I would like to take my wife there for a meal when we arrive. Is the food any good or just the beef?

Jay

It is now everywhere in Ubon Jay - they open and close or change hands all the time. There are some very good ones and some awful ones but when you get here next month give me a shout and I'll tell you where the best ones are! It is only Korean beef style but that means Beef, pork, squid, liver, and all the greens you can eat in a soup stock - you BBQ it yourself at the table.

For your internet access it would be best if you bought a monthly dial-up card - lots of companies selling them and it's better than signing a contract for a year, unlimited access with free phone hook up with A-net will cost you B329 for the month and if you leave half way through the month you lose a couple of quid - big deal!

will be in UBON next sunday on a airasia-99-Baht-flight for 2 nights to "wipe out" the last white dot on my personal Thai map... anything interesting to do there ? or any nice people to meet for a drink or some food ?

Lot's of interesting things to do, sites to see and places to go, 2 nights in Ubon but are you on the morning flight in and evening flight out? A trip on your free day to see the cave paintings or a visit to the Temple in Laos (no visa needed) and the now famous Korean beef back in Ubon in the Evening? It just needs booking, depending on how you want to do it - a group tour or private car for the sightseeing (a fish or chicken feast at Sirindorn dam is always a treat!) and there will be 'nur yang korlee' within 100m of where your staying if your in Ubon city.

A pic of 'Korean Beef' at home!

post-16800-1137506061_thumb.jpg

Thaibites

Now I know what you mean from the picture. I tried this outside Lai Thong Hotel a few years back. Soup inside the dish and cook your meat on the outside, if you like. In Malaysia they call it "Steam boat" but its something like suki style eating similar to MK restaurant but outdoor. My experience back then was not so good, I have a love of all things MK. However a few years ago it may have been early days and a few better ones have opened since. Still willing to try again though.....

Jay

Its a pitty they don't have a daidomon restaurant in Ubon. I love that BBQ grilled meat feast with all the dips. www.daidomon.co.th

Thaibites

I'll try one of those dial up cards when i'm there. At that price you can't complain. Thanks.

Jay

I've got a Moto V3 phone can you just put the sim card in the phone and connect to your laptop. Is that how it works?

Thaibites

Now I know what you mean from the picture. I tried this outside Lai Thong Hotel a few years back. Soup inside the dish and cook your meat on the outside, if you like. In Malaysia they call it "Steam boat" but its something like suki style eating similar to MK restaurant but outdoor. My experience back then was not so good, I have a love of all things MK. However a few years ago it may have been early days and a few better ones have opened since. Still willing to try again though.....

Jay

Its a pitty they don't have a daidomon restaurant in Ubon. I love that BBQ grilled meat feast with all the dips. www.daidomon.co.th

G'Day Lad's

yeah Daidomon is nice and i tryed to get them to Ubon year ago or so, but they are not interested as here is so many locals and price is cheaper and fakt that we dont have bis shopping malls yet here.

RegardingADSL, connection, i have it home and pay it yearly, easy dos it.

Korean Beef, it's so funny as it's have so many names for same "pot" here in my family we called Grill Suki and when i was asked few years back to go eat korean beef, i was wondering what the "H**##ll" is that, but realized soon that is infact same than i been eating all the time, it's one of the best meanl what you can eat. i could eat that every day from Bfast to Dinner, and if still awake Supper as well,,,, LOL

Btw, have you guys heard that near by air port (difficult to explane where, i think name was "GrandPa's home or something) is one really nice restaurant where the owner is thai but was in USA most of his live and now open family restaurant in here, all kind of farang stuff there,,, and best of all it not expensive at all...

Thaibites

I'll try one of those dial up cards when i'm there. At that price you can't complain. Thanks.

Jay

I've got a Moto V3 phone can you just put the sim card in the phone and connect to your laptop. Is that how it works?

Not sure how it works Jay - I have 2 phone lines and I'm hooked up to one of them with the puter.

My son runs his laptop on his mobile phone so it's only a matter of asking him!

Hello Thaibites

About visiting temples in Laos(no visa needed)

Can U tell me more?

And to all of you food lovers: If you have a day off!? :D

Why not come down and visit:

Suan Loong Daeng Farm Stay

Guesthouse - aircon rooms - Restaurant/Bar

Thai/Western food/wide selection of beverages

We are located about 100 km south of Ubon.

Take road 24 to Det Udom. Go straight through Det Udom, follow rd 2171 to Nam Yun, and we are 13 km west of Nam Yun on rd 2248 to Prasat Khao Phra Wihan.

Look for a house on the left hand side - not like all the others.

:o

Sorry bergen - a slight mistake on my part, the temple is in Cambodia! Pretty close to you as well!

Day 3 : Khong Jiam - Ubon Rachathani

After breakfast, drive with your guide to Khao Phra Viharn. Khao Phra Viharn Khmer temple complex was started even before Angkor Wat in the heart of Cambodia! Unlike other Khmer Temples, this one has not undergone the restoration efforts of the Fine Arts Department. If Indiana Jones were real, he would have found this place! Walk up steps to graded causeways through awesome "gopuras" and arrive at the extensive but dilapidated center, which is on a cliff-top overlooking the virgin Cambodian countryside. On the way back, stop off for a look at Maw-I-Daeng cliff carvings. These carvings exhibit many similarities to some of the Hindu subject matter at Khao Phra Viharn, but experts disagree exactly which site preceded the other.

Have lunch at a local restaurant, then continue the drive back to Ubon Ratchathani. Visit a number of city sites in Ubon including Wat Thung Sri Muang, built in a very unusual mixture of Thai, Lao & Burmese styles. Also see the National Museum (unless the day is a Tuesday, when the museum is closed). The exhibits here help to put what you have seen over the last days into perspective. This museum is also home to 3 of the most important known inscription stones in Thai history. Your guide will have much local knowledge, so if last minute shopping does not interest you, he/she can take to see a few more cultural attractions before driving to your hotel for overnight and dinner.

Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Accommodation: Lai Thong Hotel

Featured Attractions: Khao Phra Viharn Khmer Temple Complex, Maw-I-Daeng Cliff Carvings, Wat Thung Sri Muang, National Museum

It's a 2-3 hour drive from Ubon and there is some walking required to get to the Temple itself but the views are breathtaking!

The day came from a google search and was part of this tour that included the cave paintings -

http://www.north-by-north-east.com/ISAN/details_ISN007.asp

I hasten to add that I am not part of the company and this was just a google search!

Edited by thaibites0

Sorry bergen - a slight mistake on my part, the temple is in Cambodia! Pretty close to you as well!

After breakfast, drive with your guide to Khao Phra Viharn. Khao Phra Viharn Khmer temple complex was started even before Angkor Wat in the heart of Cambodia! Unlike other Khmer Temples, this one has not undergone the restoration efforts of the Fine Arts Department. If Indiana Jones were real, he would have found this place! Walk up steps to graded causeways through awesome "gopuras" and arrive at the extensive but dilapidated center, which is on a cliff-top overlooking the virgin Cambodian countryside. On the way back, stop off for a look at Maw-I-Daeng cliff carvings. These carvings exhibit many similarities to some of the Hindu subject matter at Khao Phra Viharn, but experts disagree exactly which site preceded the other.

Have lunch at a local restaurant, then continue the drive back to Ubon Ratchathani. Visit a number of city sites in Ubon including Wat Thung Sri Muang, built in a very unusual mixture of Thai, Lao & Burmese styles. Also see the National Museum (unless the day is a Tuesday, when the museum is closed). The exhibits here help to put what you have seen over the last days into perspective. This museum is also home to 3 of the most important known inscription stones in Thai history. Your guide will have much local knowledge, so if last minute shopping does not interest you, he/she can take to see a few more cultural attractions before driving to your hotel for overnight and dinner.

Featured Attractions: Khao Phra Viharn Khmer Temple Complex, Maw-I-Daeng Cliff Carvings, Wat Thung Sri Muang, National Museum

It's a 2-3 hour drive from Ubon and there is some walking required to get to the Temple itself but the views are breathtaking!

The day came from a google search and was part of this tour that included the cave paintings -

I hasten to add that I am not part of the company and this was just a google search!

regarding Khao Phra Viharn

Nice place,, but lot's of steps, been there few times, but watch out that you dont go out from the path as there is still lot's of land mines.

Also entrance,, for thai pay in thai bath foreigner pay 5USD(at least that was b4)

just take time when you going there and enjoy, that is one nice place but not for rush...

Nice place,, but lot's of steps, been there few times, but watch out that you dont go out from the path as there is still lot's of land mines.

Also entrance,, for thai pay in thai bath foreigner pay 5USD(at least that was b4)

just take time when you going there and enjoy, that is one nice place but not for rush...

About Khao Phra Wihan

To enter Khao Phra Wihan National Park - farangs have to pay 200bath - thais pay 20 (same in all national parks in Thailand) Then it is 5 bath to cross the border(copy passport) and then farangs have to pay another 200baht on the Cambodian side to enter the temple(sometimes thais have to pay the same, especially if in company with farang. I have been to the top more than 10 times, and in my opinion - it is well worth the money!

It is about 2 hours drive from Ubon, and the walk from the parking area to the top takes about 30 min. Use more time if you're not used to climbing steep stonesteps. The temple/palace is believed to be 300 years older than Angkor Wat, and is built by Kmer kings in dedication to Sri Sikharesvara - Shiva- the supreme being of the mountain.

The top is 657 meters above sea level, and the height of the steep cliff from the top down to the flat land at the foothill in Cambodia is 547 meters. The entire lenght of the sanctuary extends over 800 meters, and the view from the top is breathtaking.

Just a small advise - on the Cambodiam side - do not buy any whisky/cognac/etc - no matter how real it looks - inside the bottles is only Lao Khao with colour!! :o

About Khao Phra Wihan

To enter Khao Phra Wihan National Park - farangs have to pay 200bath - thais pay 20 (same in all national parks in Thailand) Then it is 5 bath to cross the border(copy passport) and then farangs have to pay another 200baht on the Cambodian side to enter the temple(sometimes thais have to pay the same, especially if in company with farang. I have been to the top more than 10 times, and in my opinion - it is well worth the money!

It is about 2 hours drive from Ubon, and the walk from the parking area to the top takes about 30 min. Use more time if you're not used to climbing steep stonesteps. The temple/palace is believed to be 300 years older than Angkor Wat, and is built by Kmer kings in dedication to Sri Sikharesvara - Shiva- the supreme being of the mountain.

The top is 657 meters above sea level, and the height of the steep cliff from the top down to the flat land at the foothill in Cambodia is 547 meters. The entire lenght of the sanctuary extends over 800 meters, and the view from the top is breathtaking.

Just a small advise - on the Cambodiam side - do not buy any whisky/cognac/etc - no matter how real it looks - inside the bottles is only Lao Khao with colour!! :o

Bergen

Regarding park fee..200thb,,, i assument that you have thai driving licence? as i do and every single time i been in any national park i showed that and payed 20 as normal thai fee is, don't know if it's my looks or am i so cute, any how but i heard this from one of the Fin in Pattaya and start to use it abt 6yrs ago and it worked so far, every time,,,,Has any one else experince this kind of phenomenom?

Have they removed that Russina Shikorscky helicopter already from there?

Hey Lads

Jay

Hi Marco & Thaibites

To turn to another subject. I am thinking about A/DSL or GPRS in our Ubon home. Any experiences you may have had with either would be helpful along with any contact info: of shops that could help me out. DSL is faster but I don't like the idea of paying for the months when I am not around. Maybe thinking of GPRS which is slower but could do for emails and such on the occassions we are in Ubon for holidays, few months a year just to keep in touch with my office whilst i'm away. Just paying when I need it may be better suited that is if i can use my phone and laptop to connect through GPRS/Internet locally with a sim card from TELEWIZ or somewhere similar. What do you think lads? Any input welcomed...

Jay

Ok.......I'm in Surin,but it's about the same. I have got four systems now (although IP Star is in a stage of termination)

ADSL from T&TT Very good and very fast. I use it in the internet cafe and business has tripled now word has got around.

GPRS from DTAC for my Lap-top. Can use anywhere there is a phone signal. Can even use in bus,train or car. That is provided by AXEN. Speeds not bad. Slightly quicker than land line.

Monthly card from Loxinfo. Cost about 320 baht. As it's a 1222 dial up card it is hard to connect in the evening. I have got around this by logging on at 06.00 and leaving it connected all the time. I use that at home. As you have unlimited use for the month, you can stay connected as long as you like.

About Khao Phra Wihan

Bergen

Regarding park fee..200thb,,, i assument that you have thai driving licence? as i do and every single time i been in any national park i showed that and payed 20 as normal thai fee is, don't know if it's my looks or am i so cute, any how but i heard this from one of the Fin in Pattaya and start to use it abt 6yrs ago and it worked so far, every time,,,,Has any one else experince this kind of phenomenom?

Have they removed that Russina Shikorscky helicopter already from there?

MarcoH

I have no thai lisence - use my international from Norway - no complaints so far, but doesnt help me when entering national parks. The helecopter is not there anymore.

A quick one for Jay - I asked my son and he said it's just a USB connection from his mobile and it cost him B35 in a local shop - he uses a 1222 dial up too and although it is slow and does get difficult to connect to sometimes as Lampard said it does work most of the time.

The choice becomes yours - a years sign up or a throw away card that is slower - how much net time will you need? ADSL is fast but binds you and monthly cards are cheap but slow.

I am on a 1222 A-net monthly unlimited card and must admit that I very rarely get better than 3kbps but never normally have a problem connecting - if you need to send large files to your office this would not be a good way of doing it but if it's just emails and general net surfing you will not find better for your situation.

Edited by thaibites0

Thaibites & Lampard

Thanks for your input on internet connections. I have a USB cable from my phone to laptop so the idea of connecting with a cheap local card is easier. Might try it first on this next trip in Feb to see how I get on. If it gets frustrating then I can always opt for DSL after.

Thanks again.

Jay

Another question for the lads in Ubon....

Does anyone know if Thai GPS that can be purchased in Ubon. Subject to cost it was something I was considering to buy for my car to get around the north east more easier without looking at maps all the time. Anyone with experience of this or purchased one themselves. I know you can get them in other parts of Thailand but wondered if they worked in Isaan. Also the units may be cheaper than buying in UK. The prices here have been falling so they must be reasonably priced in Thailand i guess... what you think?

Jay

Yesterday, I saw bunch of Farangs teenager are dancing in front of Lotus shopping mall. I thought it was funny... :D Farang Barn Nork!

In Ubon?? they must hand over some free yaba there,,,,, :o

:o Any idea how many native speakers of English or American English live in Ubon and Warin?

I was in Ubon 1968-1971 with the US Army and married a local girl.

We are now looking at moving to Ubon in our retirement (I am 59.)

I was there in March/April 2005 and did not see any Farangs.

:D Any idea how many native speakers of English or American English live in Ubon and Warin?

Chief,,

You are interested ONLY for Native English speaker's???

No any onther like European natinalities??

:D:D

Just wondering,, are we not good enough?

:D Any idea how many native speakers of English or American English live in Ubon and Warin?

Chief,,

Marco,

:D

Anyone that has learned English as a second language is "A - Number 1" in my book!

Learning a language other than the one you were raised with is an outstanding achievement.

In an attempt to clarify myself, I would enthusiactically welcome anyone that speaks English.

My only concern is for the non-native speaker in that they may have difficulty understanding my Texas "Twang" when I speak English.

If that is not bad enough, you should hear me speak Chinese Mandarin with a Texan accent!

:D Cheers!

Chief,,

Marco,

Anyone that has learned English as a second language is "A - Number 1" in my book!

Learning a language other than the one you were raised with is an outstanding achievement.

In an attempt to clarify myself, I would enthusiactically welcome anyone that speaks English.

My only concern is for the non-native speaker in that they may have difficulty understanding my Texas "Twang" when I speak English.

If that is not bad enough, you should hear me speak Chinese Mandarin with a Texan accent!

G'Day Dave

im speaking 5 different lanquage including my own FINNISH and nothing of those in fluently,,,

Im working in LA so i should understand and all of us here,,

you will be surpriced how many Thai's also understand Eng but they just need little bit of Lao Kao as starter,,,,

regarding community here in Ubon, we have rather last foreign population here but not so many of them are socially active, we do have many UK,Norway,OZ,Kiwies, German and saw some Japs also,, so we have good soup here,,,,

at the moment we dont have like organized cathering outside of those who are spending tiime in the Swing club(not that kind of swing, that you might image :o )

Also, not so much activities yet here I.e bowling, but having said that it should be on the way.

I have been trying to collect info from many guys here, what the intrests would be, but mainly trend is same, every one work's and when they have free time,, tend to stay home.

But when you are here,, let me know and we go drink "real" beer,, dont have Bud, here luckily :D

-Marco-

Chief,,

Marco,

G'Day Dave

im speaking 5 different lanquage including my own FINNISH and nothing of those in fluently,,,

Im working in LA so i should understand and all of us here,,

you will be surpriced how many Thai's also understand Eng but they just need little bit of Lao Kao as starter,,,,

regarding community here in Ubon, we have rather last foreign population here but not so many of them are socially active, we do have many UK,Norway,OZ,Kiwies, German and saw some Japs also,, so we have good soup here,,,,

at the moment we dont have like organized cathering outside of those who are spending tiime in the Swing club(not that kind of swing, that you might image :o )

Also, not so much activities yet here I.e bowling, but having said that it should be on the way.

I have been trying to collect info from many guys here, what the intrests would be, but mainly trend is same, every one work's and when they have free time,, tend to stay home.

But when you are here,, let me know and we go drink "real" beer,, dont have Bud, here luckily :burp:

-Marco-

Marco,

This is Chief.

I used the smiley with the cowboy hat because I am in Texas.

I now see that that smiley says "Dave." Ooops!

I can understand and respect peoples desires to remain loners and keep to themselves and their Thai family.

We plan on being in Ubon during the New Year Holidays (Dec 06 - Jan 07) and will try to stay active and keep you informed so we can meet for a cold one.

I do not know about the stuff they brew in Thailand now.

I have always been a "Sing" (Singhai) man myself.

I am already retired and will not be looking for work but maybe we could look into opening a restaurant called the "Western Conversation Place" and serve things like pot roasts and potatoes along with other western favorites. I can actually cook a good roast!

I have already volunteered to teach English and a few other subjects to the people who cannot really afford to pay for furthering their education. This will be in Warin at Wat Hadsuansuk.

What type of work do you do in your spare time?

:D Chief