Check Inn 99 Blues And Rock Night

CheckInn99

Folks for those who are asking..our House band Music of the Heart (15 years in Checkinn99 and still going strong) have a night off a month. This is when we schedule our popular Rock and Blues night (normally last Sunday of the month)

Samsip... we have your chair and table reserved... Lovebone will play first - but maybe later the guys might jam together...

here is a clip from the night you were there last long one.. but the purple rain segment is just great. have to wait until the 5 minute mark.

(sorry for the lousy video quality) and one classic K Nolan's LGW clip...

does the room still smell dank and mildewed?

So is checkin 99 under new managment?

I remember staggering in there 15 odd years ago

I've been in there a few times over the last couple of years and it is a comfortable bar with air con that doesn't make you shiver. Great place to have a relaxing beer and the rock and blues music is very good. Not tried the food yet but seen it go past and it looks good. House band sing a middle of the road mix of covers and are as easy on the eye as they are on the ear. Recommended biggrin.png

seems like you cannot have an opinion regarding these sort of advertisements as my post got deleted.

They are a sponsor of the forum and that helps to pay for the hosting charges etc. No sponsors = no forums = no info exchange.

• Like 1

Ha, Nocturne.. yes CI has both had a refit and is under new Mgt. The old soft clay brick floor was replaced about 8 years ago..along with new bathrooms, and most recently internal refurbishment.. and yes when smoking was still allowed it was like an old beer cellar..and deservedly gained the same reputation from me. The entrance is still similar with the alley-way. If you have a chance pop your head in for an anonymous checkup (after 8.30pm is when the normal nightly show starts).

Edited by CheckInn99

Samsip.. its OK..SMS is right in a way as CI had over the years developed its own reputation and certainly over its last 48 years is not exactly the same. Mama Noi is still there though from its opening day - interesting if she shares SMS opinion (which I suspect she might!!) - but it "has" been a long time since she hosted Bob Hope there, Mama Noi also recalls when Bing Crosby performed (but I am sure Bing would approve of the Music of the Heart!) .. at least the waiters still wear the same bow ties. anyway lets hope we can entice him for a looksee.

post-152805-0-41702700-1343206948_thumb.

Edited by CheckInn99
  • Like 1

Nocturn, the picture was taken in the 60's. Mama is still working at Checkinn... after Stickman's recent article she has quite some visitors now coming to say hi.

do you have more of that era?

Nocturn, the picture was taken in the 60's. Mama is still working at Checkinn... after Stickman's recent article she has quite some visitors now coming to say hi.
Yes - Mama Noi keeps her original photo album in Checkinn to show bar / nightlife in the 60's and is happy to show people who introduce them selves (but dont forget to buy her a drink thumbsup.gif . She ran and operated several clubs in Bangkok after originally starting at Checkinn (which was called Copacabana club then) then worked at the famous Starlight Club but came back to Checkinn about 35 years ago. The head waiter has also been there the same time as Mama Noi - the original cook just retired after training her son to take over. Quite some history in the place. Edited by CheckInn99

Nocturn.. took some arm twisting = but here are two more unreferenced old snaps (taken sometime between 1967 and 1970) - no supporting detail sorry - one is fuzzy - but shows the man carrying his signature golf club - the second with the barely distinguishable baby elephant wearing the welcome rug - you can make out the face.

post-152805-0-99561900-1343313665_thumb.

post-152805-0-36374400-1343313688_thumb.

Edited by CheckInn99
  • Like 1

Nocturn, one more showing BH with some Aussie Airforce guys in the background ( you can see the slouch hat (hat khaki fur felt HKFF with a dark blue strip in the puggaree). The photo is square - so probably taken with a box brownie or hawkeye and taken in Thailand (Mama Noi was from Udorn) so my guess is the guys in the back are from either 79 Squadron who flew CAC 27 Sabres or 5 Airfield construction squadron which dates the photo prior to August 1968 . (She subsequently set up a night club in Utapao after this with an Air Force Pilot.).

post-152805-0-31370400-1343357337_thumb.

I've been in there a few times over the last couple of years and it is a comfortable bar with air con that doesn't make you shiver. Great place to have a relaxing beer and the rock and blues music is very good. Not tried the food yet but seen it go past and it looks good. House band sing a middle of the road mix of covers and are as easy on the eye as they are on the ear. Recommended biggrin.png

I rarely go downtown for an evening, but the Check Inn is one of the places I do patronize. The food is pretty good. I was quite surprised at the good quality of the schnitzel I had there, for example.

And yes, I agree with you about the house band: easy on both the ears and eyes.

Try the steaks if you ever do eat there, I can heartily recommend them.

I rarely go downtown for an evening, but the Check Inn is one of the places I do patronize. The food is pretty good. I was quite surprised at the good quality of the schnitzel I had there, for example.

And yes, I agree with you about the house band: easy on both the ears and eyes.

Keith Nolan will become jealous if we keep talking about Checkinn's House band on the Rock and Blues ad.. but bonobo lets indulge... this clip was taken at this months Casablanca night.

Thanks Samsip.. see you there.

I was quite surprised at the good quality of the schnitzel I had there

Like this one I had last nght...

and the music was great too biggrin.png Thanks to everyone for a very enjoyable evening clap2.gif and I'm looking forward to the next one already but please give me a couple of days for the hangover to fade away.

post-28059-0-17904900-1343622011_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the Thai Visa members who turned up... between you you ordered 24 jugs of discounted Heineken Special draft. I know you drank quite a few jugs last night Samsip but did not see who drank the other 2 burp.gif .

Thanks for all the Thai Visa members who turned up... between you you ordered 24 jugs of discounted Heineken Special draft. I know you drank quite a few jugs last night Samsip but did not see who drank the other 2 burp.gif .

Hi Samsip... another night on Sunday 26Aug Keith Nolan and Supabad 9 piece soul and funk I will put up a new flyer in a seperate post.. will you be there?

Hi Samsip... another night on Sunday 26Aug Keith Nolan and Supabad 9 piece soul and funk I will put up a new flyer in a seperate post.. will you be there?

Sorry I'll be in Chiang Mai and have to give it a miss but I'll be in Bangkok next month on the 23rd and hope that you will have another bash that weekend.

Sorry I'll be in Chiang Mai and have to give it a miss but I'll be in Bangkok next month on the 23rd and hope that you will have another bash that weekend.

Samsip,

The week before Sat 15Sep we will be holding a Memphis Bell night. decorating Checkinn as a WW2 B17 hanger, staff in period dress USO, nurses, sailors airmen The band will put on a 40;s swing Andrews sisters, Glen miller numbers then liven up with 40-50s swing (the rock nRoll comes later int he evening) 16Sep Live at Checkinn99 Jazz on Sukhumvit afternoon - and night Blues & Rock (The jazz will be pitched at the low income audience) Sun 30Sep We will hold our biggest event of the year Blues Brothers night. hmm 22/23 Sep.. lets see what can be organsied for you (you might be surprised again) Safe Travels.

Samsip,

The week before Sat 15Sep we will be holding a Memphis Bell night. decorating Checkinn as a WW2 B17 hanger, staff in period dress USO, nurses, sailors airmen The band will put on a 40;s swing Andrews sisters, Glen miller numbers then liven up with 40-50s swing (the rock nRoll comes later int he evening) 16Sep Live at Checkinn99 Jazz on Sukhumvit afternoon - and night Blues & Rock (The jazz will be pitched at the low income audience) Sun 30Sep We will hold our biggest event of the year Blues Brothers night. hmm 22/23 Sep.. lets see what can be organsied for you (you might be surprised again) Safe Travels.

Too many choices !

I'm really tempted to pop down for the Blues Brothers night and if you can lay on a couple of nurses that would definately tip the balance biggrin.png