How'S Your Webhost?

KRS1

So who are you hosting your website with and are you within the first 10 pages of Google ? (just want to make sure you are indexing)...

My long time company has become problematic, and I need to get the heck out of there ASAP.

bluehost.com 6 years never even the slightest problem.

i run about 8 sites off one plan, all indexed and first in their category. certainly first page.

1 primary and 7 add on domains correct?

I have 9 i have to migrate.

bluehost.com 6 years never even the slightest problem.

i run about 8 sites off one plan, all indexed and first in their category. certainly first page.

1 primary and 7 add on domains correct?

I have 9 i have to migrate.

correct

Bluehost are god awful.

1. They sell you unlimited but don't provide it

2. They throttle the hell out of CPU.

3. The dreaded Ts and Cs bans for having high traffic. See 1.

4. Poor customer service.

5. Crap CPanel - it doesn't even tell you your resource usage! See 3.

If you want cheap, go ahead. But for anything serious you're wasting your time.

fair enough. thank god im not running a web empire.

i cant help but noticing that you managed to type all that without providing a suggestion.

thanks for coming out

Edited by nocturn

i cant help but noticing that you managed to type all that without providing a suggestion.

thanks for coming out

"All that", like I gave you a thesis!

Impossible to reccomend hosting without knowing requirements. Don't you think?

Bluehost suspend for TCs violation with ~600 daily page views. Hardly a "web empire".

I've been using iPowerweb for around 9 years and quite happy with them. But it is not a Thailand based hosting site.

As for the 'first 10 pages' comment - that has more to do with SEO and your skills than the hosting site. But, the above does support SEO assistance but using a single source is not anywhere near sufficient to get the word out.

here is a suggestion:

If you know a bit about webservers, you can rent a VServer at nine.ch (Switzerland), they deliver good value and good customer service.

http://www.nine.ch/vserver/plans

At 25 CHF/month they offer some of the cheapest VServer solutions on the net, yet it is also one of the best.

Slap Debian (or any other OS of your preference), Apache2, MySQL, PHP, BIND and Courier on the Vserver and to ease your work maybe a config panel such as ISPconfig3 (free and opensource).

Maybe add modsecurity and the pear mail package for the finishing touch, et voilà, you got a full webserver including DNS server and mailserver!

As for the 'first 10 pages' comment - that has more to do with SEO and your skills than the hosting site. But, the above does support SEO assistance but using a single source is not anywhere near sufficient to get the word out.

Yes, just want to make sure pages are indexing per recommendation. Pages on my troubled server are not indexing at all, while on my other server with another company they are indexing extremely well in an even more competitive niche than the sites on the trouble server.

here is a suggestion:

If you know a bit about webservers, you can rent a VServer at nine.ch (Switzerland), they deliver good value and good customer service.

http://www.nine.ch/vserver/plans

At 25 CHF/month they offer some of the cheapest VServer solutions on the net, yet it is also one of the best.

Slap Debian (or any other OS of your preference), Apache2, MySQL, PHP, BIND and Courier on the Vserver and to ease your work maybe a config panel such as ISPconfig3 (free and opensource).

Maybe add modsecurity and the pear mail package for the finishing touch, et voilà, you got a full webserver including DNS server and mailserver!

way over my head man, but thanks for recommending.

thanks for coming out

Bluehost suspend for TCs violation with ~600 daily page views. Hardly a "web empire".

please document that because in my experience it is blatantly untrue

I host hundreds of websites myself across over 10 dedicated and cloud servers.

However we have just changed our policies to stop offering hosting as a standalone service, too many companies out there that can offer much cheaper prices due to scale of volumes and lack of service.

Cant say much publicly due to forum rules but if you are interested in a managed hosting service which includes site maintenance and monthly updates (to your sites content) then send me a PM.

Or for the indexing problem we can help as well.

thanks for coming out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

Page views or visits? That's a joke...

At which point regarding page views and visits would you guys recommend moving to a vps?

thanks for coming out

At which point regarding page views and visits would you guys recommend moving to a vps?

the two are not related.

The main advantage of a VPS is to be able to run a full webserver (usually with multiple domains) according to your specs.

Also, page views give no real information regarding the server load generated by the webpage.

You should better ask a pro who knows your precise needs.

Also.. can anyone recommend a thai based service or piece of free software that will monitor host latency and page load times?

Thai based no, but plenty of free ones.

site24x7 is good.

Even better is newrelic but you need server access, wont work on cheap hosting.

If Thai based times is the important part then let me know, sure I could write something easily and got servers/leased lines inside thailand.

thanks for coming out

the two are not related.

The main advantage of a VPS is to be able to run a full webserver (usually with multiple domains) according to your specs.

Also, page views give no real information regarding the server load generated by the webpage.

Err.. how can they not be related? The main advantage of a VPS is having guaranteed CPU/ram/bandwidth with root access.

There must be a point at which shared hosting in terms of CPU time, RAM, etc becomes to slow to be viable.

Also.. can anyone recommend a thai based service or piece of free software that will monitor host latency and page load times?

Thai based no, but plenty of free ones.

site24x7 is good.

Even better is newrelic but you need server access, wont work on cheap hosting.

If Thai based times is the important part then let me know, sure I could write something easily and got servers/leased lines inside thailand.

Yes they are, we only have 1x server which can't really monitor itself internal to Thailand. I'm trying to work out if its non-asynchronous web server requests to outside TH web space that is causing long load times or if its the web host itself. We are up to 15 second load times on webmaster tools some days which is totally unacceptable. I'll check out those tools. Thx

the two are not related.

Err.. how can they not be related? The main advantage of a VPS is having guaranteed CPU/ram/bandwidth with root access.

There must be a point at which shared hosting in terms of CPU time, RAM, etc becomes to slow to be viable.

It depends much more on how the content is served.

For example, is the content static (HTML) or is the content generated by a script (PHP) and is page serving database intensive as in interactive websites (forums)? How complex are the database queries, how many queries are run for a single pageview, etc.

The strain put on the server can vary twentyfold depending on these factors.

Plus, I must add that most VPS are on shared hardware, so the problem of shared resources remains especially when using cheaper webhosts that 'overbook' the server resources.

The downside of a VPS is that you have to be a server admin yourself, except if you opt for "managed" VPS, in which case the service is expensive.

Edited by manarak

the two are not related.

For example, is the content static (HTML) or is the content generated by a script (PHP) and is page serving database intensive as in interactive websites (forums)? How complex are the database queries, how many queries are run for a single pageview, etc.

Plus, I must add that most VPS are on shared hardware, so the problem of shared resources remains especially when using cheaper webhosts that 'overbook' the server resources.

The downside of a VPS is that you have to be a server admin yourself, except if you opt for "managed" VPS, in which case the service is expensive.

The 2 are directly related unless your trying to say DDOS attacks are a myth.

ALL VPS are on shared hardware or it would not be a VPS. Depending on which virtualisation platform is being used resources cannot be oversold.

The 2 are directly related unless your trying to say DDOS attacks are a myth.

ALL VPS are on shared hardware or it would not be a VPS. Depending on which virtualisation platform is being used resources cannot be oversold.

Well, DDOS attacks are irrelevant for determining a server's need in resources, because regardless how powerful your server is, even a small bot net will bring it down.

About the VPS being on shared hardware, I meant VPS on single servers as opposed to VPS on clouds, where VPS resources can be allocated flexibly.

Regarding software denying the oversale of resources, I am sceptical, because software only does what it is being told to do...

At the end of the day the provider's promise will be "no, we didn't tweak the virtualisation software to allow the oversale of resources".

Anyway, what I wanted to say is: the number of visits and pageviews do not give enough information to determine server resource needs.