34 Year Old Man Executed In Front Of South Pattaya Hotel

Rimmer

"One of the attackers was named as Khun Beer, who is well known in the area as an active drug dealer"

...interesting, well known active drug dealer, but not behind bars, just roaming freely through the streets of Pattaya.

Just like well-known drug dealers in many cities ... and members of gangs, mafia "family" members, prostitutes, Yakuza, Chinese triads in US and elsewhere, Wall Street criminals, drug gangs in Mexico who seem to run the country ... most cities have their well-known criminals, known by police and the news media and their neighbors.

It always amazes me how some people seem to think things happen in Thailand and nowhere else.

Some even have census figures available

The yakuza are notorious for their strict codes of conduct and very organized nature. They are very prevalent in the Japanese media and operate internationally with an estimated 80,900 members in 2009, the last year for which an estimate is available.

Chinese triads

THE MAJOR TRIADS

Sung Lian Strength: several hundred members, mostly second-and third-generation mainland immigrants. Activities: debt collection, massage parlors, brothels, small businesses.

Tian Dao Man Strength: several hundred members, mostly native Taiwanese. Activities: debt collection, massage parlors, brothels, small businesses.

Four Seas Strength: up to 2,000 members, mostly second-and third-generation mainland immigrants. Activities: construction, security services, debt collection, massage parlors, brothels, small businesses.

United Bamboo Strength: 10,000 members, mostly second-and third-generation mainland immigrants. Activities: construction, security services, debt collection, loan sharking, gambling dens, hostess clubs, restaurants, small businesses.

... most of them free to go about their "business" to the amazement of only the most naive.

LIKE ME!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many western cities of 500,000 have the amount of crime, murders, suspicious deaths that Pattaya has?

500 000???? Pattaya has 5000000-600000 people, while not all residents, they are still here, tourists included

5 million. sure.

where did you get all the booze on Asaka Boucha days?

How many western cities of 500,000 have the amount of crime, murders, suspicious deaths that Pattaya has?

500 000???? Pattaya has 5000000-600000 people, while not all residents, they are still here, tourists included

So you believe that Pattaya is half the size of Bangkok ?

You need to move around in Thailand and stop drinking,

And many on this board will say that thailand is no more dangerous than their home country.

And many will be right, depending on what their home country is.

Frankly, according to statistics, not many will be right. Most will be wrong.

When I first lived in Thailand I thought it was soooo safe but it's because I was in tourist mode and because it's a different society and I would "feel" safe in circumstances where I thought I wouldn't at home, I had some impression that Thailand was safer than most places.

After a while, once I adjusted and looked at what was going on around me and also studied statistics, I realized it was must a common misconception. Thailand is a great place and I love it, but it's not paradise and it could be much, much safer.

For a place where you may not have quite as much liberty but you will feel safe because it genuinely is a very safe place to live, see Singapore.

Edited by Jimjim

How many developing cities or how many resort cities? You're comparing apples to oranges if you're not taking into consideration the amount of tourist dollars and development dollars that are being flung around on an annual basis.

It would be disingenuous to count how many of this subset are then an annual R&R destination for the US Marines as I'm sure the equally murderous and corrupt places in the Caribbean and S. America have their own unique qualifiers. Among the safest places in the Caribbean are those that have the least tourism development.

What's the population of Oaktown, Compton or Miami Beach?

How many developing cities or how many resort cities? You're comparing apples to oranges if you're not taking into consideration the amount of tourist dollars and development dollars that are being flung around on an annual basis.

It would be disingenuous to count how many of this subset are then an annual R&R destination for the US Marines as I'm sure the equally murderous and corrupt places in the Caribbean and S. America have their own unique qualifiers. Among the safest places in the Caribbean are those that have the least tourism development.

Compare it to what you like Pattaya has a very high level of violent crime by any stretch of the imagination. The majority of farangs who live here come from places with far lower levels of violence. I just dont understand why so many posters refuse to face the obvious.

Try the cities of Bankstown,and Faifeild, With the suburbs of Guildford and Merrylands in western Sydney with an approx population of 100,000 and you get a rival

Edited by ozziebloke

Compare it to what you like Pattaya has a very high level of violent crime by any stretch of the imagination. The majority of farangs who live here come from places with far lower levels of violence. I just dont understand why so many posters refuse to face the obvious.

Maybe because to them it isn't obvious?

For example are you drawing a comparison based on when they came or current crime levels?

Is all of Pattaya crime ridden or are they insulated from violent crime by location and security measures?

Note I didn't say Pattaya doesn't have a high level of crime, I said one shouldn't compare by population size alone, however given the chance between Peckham and Pattaya I know where I would choose.

Thailand is no more dangerous than many Western countries thats for sure - try walking down the roads of Bangkok at 2am - generally pretty safe - would I do that in Sydney, LA, London - not a chance!

Drug gangs are all over the world, and if you get on the wrong side of criminals, you make yourself a target, no matter what city you are in. Pattaya and Phuket are not particularly nice, nor representative of the rest of the country - often because of the mafia thugs that inhabit them - both foreign and local.

Or many Towns in Africa for that matter. From his comment, it would appear Tolley has limited current affairs reading?coffee1.gif

Thailand is no more dangerous than many Western countries thats for sure - try walking down the roads of Bangkok at 2am - generally pretty safe - would I do that in Sydney, LA, London - not a chance!

Drug gangs are all over the world, and if you get on the wrong side of criminals, you make yourself a target, no matter what city you are in. Pattaya and Phuket are not particularly nice, nor representative of the rest of the country - often because of the mafia thugs that inhabit them - both foreign and local.

In Sydney?? You'd have to look high & low to find dodgy places to walk at night in Sydney!

ROFL cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just look at the main street .... George Street, Sydney ...

http://sydney-central.whereilive.com.au/news/story/government-crack-down-on-george-st-agro-in-sydney-cbd/

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/risk-a-trip-down-filthy-avenue-20100108-lyt1.html

There are multiple people killed in Chicago everyday, on average. And I'll tell you what, if you tick off a drug dealer you're probably gonna be next in most major cities. Still a sad story though.

It was a major NEWS STORY that NO SHOOTINGS OR KILLINGS occurred over a 72 hour period in Chicago. Gotta love that.

Ahhhhh, America .... where Gun Control means "hitting what you aim at!"

• Like 1

And many on this board will say that thailand is no more dangerous than their home country.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using .com'>Thaivisa Connect App

And they will be right. Killings happen everywhere. Just far, far less frequently here. The difference, is that the killer always gets away with it here if he has cash to buy off the toy police.

Too TRUE.

The murder rate for Thailand is nearly 5 times higher than the UK and Australia and still marginally higher than the US. Now given that Pattaya is probably a lot higher than the Thai national average and also given the number of unreported homicides classed as suicides it doesnt take an einstein to figure that Pattaya is going to be far more dangerous than most peoples home countries.

Source Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Edited by Tolley

Too TRUE.

The murder rate for Thailand is nearly 5 times higher than the UK and Australia and still marginally higher than the US. Now given that Pattaya is probably a lot higher than the Thai national average and also given the number of unreported homicides classed as suicides it doesnt take an einstein to figure that Pattaya is going to be far more dangerous than most peoples home countries.

Source Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Actually it's 4.2x which is not nearly 5 and US is 3.8x to UK however what is more classless about your argument is you discredit your source in relation to Thailand but stand by the UK and US figures. I think we have all heard stories of how many cases are removed or differently classified for the purposes of re- election in these countries.

You may be right but don't force feed your figures to support your argument as if we're idiots.

Statistics don't mean bugger all if 90% of the crime takes place within a certain radius of the entertainment and tourist area late at night and those that "refuse to accept your opinion" don't venture there.

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

You are really clutching at straws arent you?

It is not my opinion at all. The facts bear out that Thailand and Pattaya are far more dangerous than our home countries.

I dont know why people want to deny the facts. And I would stick by my comment about Thailand under reporting murder rates as opposed to western countries.

UPDATE

Police Nail Two Gunmen In Soi Sunee Shooting

PATTAYA:--Police arrested two suspects accused of shooting a 34-year-old man during a fight on Soi Sunee. The man’s father said local gangs were responsible for killing his son. However, the suspects said the victim regularly extorted money and drugs from them, and also beat them and other neighborhood teens.

PATTAYA – August 4, 2012 [PDN]; At 2 p.m., the arrest of two suspects in the fatal shooting at Soi Sunee was announced by Pol. Lt. Gen. Panya Mamen, Commissioner Section 2; Pol. Maj. Gen. Jamnong Rattanakul, Commander, Chonburi province; Pol. Col. Panthana Nuchanart, Superintendent, Pattaya police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Kierttisak Sathongoy, Deputy Superintendent; Pol. Lt. Col. Anak Prasongsuk, Inspector; and the detection police team.

The suspects were identified as Mr. Voranart or “Beer Pheungpai,”age 23, address 4, Tambon Talad, Amphur Muang, Chantaburi province; and Mr. Pakorn or “Kang Rerngreun,” age 20, address 449/86 Moo 10 Tambon Nong Preu, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province.

The defendants are accused of using two guns to fire three shots at Mr. Nathee Kerdthong, who died from his wounds. Two shots were fired from a 12 Gauge shotgun; the third shot was fired from a .32 Caliber handgun.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Panya Mamen said that after the shooting, he commanded district officers to quickly find and arrest the gunmen because of the adverse impact to tourism if the killers were not caught.

Detectives then identified and tracked one gunman, Mr. Voranart, who had fled after the shooting to his wife’s house at 202/20 Moo 9 Tambon Nong Preu, Amphur Banglamung.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/08/05/police-nail-two-gunmen-in-soi-sunee-shooting/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2012-08-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

You are really clutching at straws arent you?

It is not my opinion at all. The facts bear out that Thailand and Pattaya are far more dangerous than our home countries.

I dont know why people want to deny the facts. And I would stick by my comment about Thailand under reporting murder rates as opposed to western countries.

As far as I can tell from the news, murders of farangs are quite rare in Thailand. I'd be very interested in knowing the murder rate of farangs in Thailand and to compare it to the Thai murder rate.

^^

I think that is the main point here. Whatever the national crime stats, foreigners here are generally safer than in their own country despite any lawlessness that might surround us - perceived or real.

Wrong again. For Brits and Aussies Thailand is far from safe compared to other tourist destinations. In fact the number of deaths is far higher in Thailand for both nationalities compared to any other tourist destinations.

^^

I think that is the main point here. Whatever the national crime stats, foreigners here are generally safer than in their own country despite any lawlessness that might surround us - perceived or real.

Wrong again. For Brits and Aussies Thailand is far from safe compared to other tourist destinations. In fact the number of deaths is far higher in Thailand for both nationalities compared to any other tourist destinations.

We are not talking about deaths, but about murders.

The higher number of deaths is perfectly understandable, because a high proportion of people retire in Thailand and die here. Other causes of death are due to facing dangers that do not exist at home, such as falling coconuts (no kidding).

So please concentrate on murders.

I have the impression that very few farangs die from murder in Thailand, and I am curious to see some stats.

Edited by manarak

Sometimes being a tourist is its own shield.

So you believe a tourist is safe from drug dealers who would have no qualms about executing someone? You say the wrong thing and you could be the body on that wall.

So you believe a tourist is safe from drug dealers who would have no qualms about executing someone? You say the wrong thing and you could be the body on that wall.

there is no shield - but fortunately, most of the killings occur for a reason.

Tourists and in general foreigners tend not to get too often in the way of the local scum - fellow Thai petty criminals are more likely to interfere with each others' affairs, so they get killed.

Less so farangs.

there is no shield - but fortunately, most of the killings occur for a reason.

Tourists and in general foreigners tend not to get too often in the way of the local scum - fellow Thai petty criminals are more likely to interfere with each others' affairs, so they get killed.

Less so farangs.

Yes, but it wouldn't take much. Just a casual swearword or giving one the finger could be enough of a reason for a bullet. Quite often tourists get loudmouthed with locals when drunk (even when not drunk) - totally unaware of who they're upsetting.

Edited by tropo