What Do You Reckon?

Portobello or Pattaya?

Which is the better to live? I'm thinking ahead to retire one day, and I've seen a few threads, but they all seem too vague, comparing whole countries, and they seem to degenerate.

So let's get down to specifics. Jomtien or Joppa?

SC

I suppose if they spent as much effort on reclaiming the beach in Pattaya as they did in Portobello it might look as nice. Whenever I walked along the Promenade, I don;t recall being accosted by prostitutes, though I was only 12...

Which are the best beach resorts in Kathmandu? How would the bingo compare in Bhutan, Bangladesh or Bali? Or the bevvy?

Can I get Italian ice cream in those places, Eek?

SC

SC ... is an option Portobello by the Sea?

That's located at Dicky Beach QLD.

Darn cold here now though ... so there is shrinkage for tourism numbers from us locals on Dicky Beach.

However, the number of crazy Scotsmen who find this weather just like Summer at home do tend to populate the Beach.

SC, why dont you start your topics in the pub to begin with and save some Mod the work of moving them all there anyway?

As for your question, I prefer shitake.

I was going to, but it was Thailand related, so I thought it was better with all the other ones comparing Thailand with other countries.

I guess the mods must have thought that there was no comaprison and no-one in their right minds would choose Pattaya or Phuket over Portobello. Not when its got such a great bus service.

SC

Have to admit that I had to look up Portobello to see why it was suggested to put this in the Pub.

AN industrial estate in Portobello is being considered as the latest ''tolerance zone'' for prostitutes in Edinburgh, it emerged yesterday.

It is understood that an industrial estate off Sir Harry Lauder Road in Portobello is one of three options being considered by the steering group.

Herald Scotland

In that case, perhaps consider Nevada somewhere near Mustang Ranch. They even have beaches in Nevada. tongue.png

nv-beach.jpg

Musselburgh - better than retiring to a brothel with a crap beach

Best description I have heard of the place yet.

Nothing wrong with brothels.

Have to admit that I had to look up Portobello to see why it was suggested to put this in the Pub.

AN industrial estate in Portobello is being considered as the latest ''tolerance zone'' for prostitutes in Edinburgh, it emerged yesterday.

It is understood that an industrial estate off Sir Harry Lauder Road in Portobello is one of three options being considered by the steering group.

Herald Scotland

In that case, perhaps consider Nevada somewhere near Mustang Ranch. They even have beaches in Nevada. tongue.png

nv-beach.jpg

Plenty of beaches at the ranch.

Darn cold here now though ... so there is shrinkage for tourism numbers from us locals on Dicky Beach.

However, the number of crazy Scotsmen who find this weather just like Summer at home do tend to populate the Beach.

You sir, are a charlatan and a mountebank - there is nowhere in the colony of Queensland where the temperature approaches that of the Firth of Forth when the haar rolls in from the North Sea.

I had a former colleague, a sailor and a member of North Berwick Yachting Clubwho once said to me that he had "sailed in the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea and, having been in a regatta around Portobello, have now sailed in the WC". They have built a sewage facility since that time, I should add

Edited by pastitche
  • Like 1

You sir, are a charlatan and a mountebank - there is nowhere in the colony of Queensland where the temperature approaches that of the Firth of Forth when the haar rolls in from the North Sea.

I had a former colleague, a sailor and a member of North Berwick Yachting Clubwho once said to me that he had "sailed in the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea and, having been in a regatta around Portobello, have now sailed in the WC". They have built a sewage facility since that time, I should add

What's the difference between the Forth Estuary and a new penny?

A new penny is shiny bright.

My grandmother said that she used to swim off portabello beach, but my mother said she just went through the motions.

So pretty much the same as Pattaya, then.

So what with the news of the old industrial estate being turned into a 'tolerance zone' for prostitution, we have:

Pattaya:

For: Crap beach, hookers, pollution

Against: Nothing

Score: +3

Portobello

Against:

Used to have a crap beach, never used to have any hookers, pollution, but now all sorted

For:

Handy for Musselburgh and golf, ice creams and horse racing; and Leith Links just up the road, and a convenient bus service

Score: +4

So it looks like Portobello comes out ahead

Sadly my dear old grandmother sold the ancestral home some 30 years ago.

SC

• Like 1

My grandmother said that she used to swim off portabello beach, but my mother said she just went through the motions.

So what with the news of the old industrial estate being turned into a 'tolerance zone' for prostitution, we have:

Pattaya:

Portobello

Against:

Used to have a crap beach, never used to have any hookers, pollution, but now all sorted

For:

Handy for Musselburgh and golf, ice creams and horse racing; and Leith Links just up the road, and a convenient bus service

SC

And,

Many years ago on a clear day you could see the Gas Works. Is it still the same ?

Pattaya:

Portobello

Against:

For:

SC

And,

Many years ago on a clear day you could see the Gas Works. Is it still the same ?

The gas works and the power station are long gone, along with the open air swimming pool - it was heated from the power station.

SC

So is it safe to say Portebello is not in Italy ?

Pretty safe, I think. There is a Portobello in Sardinia, and, as David and others have mentioned, a Portobello on Sea in Queensland, which is why I saw fit to mention Joppa, as well.

I meant the Pattaya in Thailand, as well, before anyone goes trawling wikimaps for obtuse references

SC

Pattaya:

Portobello

Against:

For:

SC

And,

At Granton? I believe that it's closed down - an ex-member of my staff shut down it's computing facility (as part of his contract, he said but I can't swear to whether British Gas did plan it that way). I think it's now part of the continuum of yuppie flats all the way from the Shore to dam_n near South Queensferry. So Leith is no more now - a maze of good fish restaurants and soulless pubs. Is that what they call progress?