Sunday Roast In Ubon

Sandgroper1066

Apparently N'Joy Bar is now doing Sunday Roasts.I went and partook today,there was a choice of roast N Z lamb or roast pork.I chose the lamb,it was very tender and came with a great variety of veggies (potatoes,carrots,cauliflower,cabbage,pumpkin) and gravy.

So,if you are in Ubon and looking for a good roast lunch on Sundays I would highly reccomend you give it a try.

Cheers

• Like 1

But is it Lamb? Judging by the size of the cut and joint I would say it was hogget. A lamb is a young sheep between the ages of 3-6 months of age when killed. A hogget is a young sheep aged between say 8 months and one year. A sheep between 1 year and two years old is called a two tooth. Thereafter, sheep when killed are called mutton. From seeing the size of the so called "lambs" meat on sale in Thailand I would say they are hoggets or two tooths. Lamb from NZ is extremely tender but lacks the meaty flavour of older stock. "Lamb" is used as a marketing tool to sell more older sheep meat. But then, if it tastes good who cares?

But is it Lamb? Judging by the size of the cut and joint I would say it was hogget. A lamb is a young sheep between the ages of 3-6 months of age when killed. A hogget is a young sheep aged between say 8 months and one year. A sheep between 1 year and two years old is called a two tooth. Thereafter, sheep when killed are called mutton. From seeing the size of the so called "lambs" meat on sale in Thailand I would say they are hoggets or two tooths. Lamb from NZ is extremely tender but lacks the meaty flavour of older stock. "Lamb" is used as a marketing tool to sell more older sheep meat. But then, if it tastes good who cares?

Exactly - who cares! The roast lamb is tasty and needs no further analyzing.. wink.png

Dunno about NZ and Aus, but hoggett is almost impossible to find in the UK (mutton is also quite scarce). Usually have to go to farm shops and foodie markets and (therefore) its more expensive than lamb.

Dave you have got that a little wrong. Lamb is up to 1 year old, Hogget is over 1 year and Mutton is old Sheep and are also called Weathers in Oz. The older sheep often have a much stronger taste but can be a bit tough, the art is in the cooking. Sheep farmers in Oz can cook and old Leg of Mutton and have it as tender as Lamb. I'm sure what N'Joy are serving would be NZ or Oz Lamb from Makro and as i have eaten other dishes there i'm sure it would be good. She is a Very Good Cook and her Bloke is an Aussie.

Dave you have got that a little wrong. Lamb is up to 1 year old, Hogget is over 1 year and Mutton is old Sheep and are also called Weathers in Oz. The older sheep often have a much stronger taste but can be a bit tough, the art is in the cooking. Sheep farmers in Oz can cook and old Leg of Mutton and have it as tender as Lamb. I'm sure what N'Joy are serving would be NZ or Oz Lamb from Makro and as i have eaten other dishes there i'm sure it would be good. She is a Very Good Cook and her Bloke is an Aussie.

I agree with you DJH77. Same goes for for us from up above! biggrin.png

Yes; well was it Pork, how was it prepared and served .. and which "cut" was used. I really feel that N'Joy are misleading us over this and if there is a "Trade Description" governing body in Thailand then we should throw the book at the management ... and I feel that a very strong letter to the Bangkok Post is to be penned shortly.

Come on guys, ease up we're in paradise here. N'Joy, Wrong Way, TC Bar and Bergen's gaffe provide great services. Roast Lamb is Roast Lamb.

If you had a Sunday Lunch in a Boozer in UK would they give the exact term on the blackboard? .... No!!

Such pedantry is pretty unnecessary here.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

• Like 1

Don't forget to ask for the mint sauce...N-Joy's lamb roast is the best I have had for a long time. Very large serving and good variety of vege's. Who gives a toss what its called...It taste damm good!!

• Like 2

Yes; well was it Pork, how was it prepared and served .. and which "cut" was used. I really feel that N'Joy are misleading us over this and if there is a "Trade Description" governing body in Thailand then we should throw the book at the management ... and I feel that a very strong letter to the Bangkok Post is to be penned shortly.

Come on guys, ease up we're in paradise here. N'Joy, Wrong Way, TC Bar and Bergen's gaffe provide great services. Roast Lamb is Roast Lamb.

If you had a Sunday Lunch in a Boozer in UK would they give the exact term on the blackboard? .... No!!

Such pedantry is pretty unnecessary here.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

I am new to this forum but I found the above very interesting. Here is link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_and_mutton that defines the terms lamb, hogget and mutton more clearly. It appears that NZers and Australians have clear definations but in the USA all shhep meat is called lamb. Maybe what the writer above was referring to was Spring lamb?

I have bought lamb shanks from Makro, NZ produce, cooked in foil in the oven with slices of garlic, rosemary and a lump of butter, extremely delicious. Roast potatoes and vegetables as well.

I have bought lamb shanks from Makro, NZ produce, cooked in foil in the oven with slices of garlic, rosemary and a lump of butter, extremely delicious. Roast potatoes and vegetables as well.

I buy Aussie and NZ lamb from Makro regularly, and there's a reason why! thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...