Indonesia Visa Fees

Visa fee decision won't hit tourism

JAKARTA - Indonesia's decision to start charging many visitors a visa fee from Sunday will not affect the already battered tourism sector, an official said Thursday.

"We have all the facilities and infrastructure set up. I believe this law will not have a negative impact on our tourism sector," said immigration department spokesman Ade Endang Dahlan.

Tourists from 20 countries and from Taiwan who previously did not need visas will from February 1 have to buy visas on arrival, at a cost of 25 dollars for a stay of up to 30 days and ten dollars for a three-day permit.

The countries are South Africa, Argentina, Denmark, the United Arab Emirates, Italy, Canada, Poland, South Korea, New Zealand, France, the United States, Britain, Australia, Japan, Germany, Hungary, Norway, Switzerland, Brazil and Finland. They are among the main markets for Indonesia's tourism industry.

Tourists from nine countries and two regions will not need visas because their governments give Indonesians similar privileges.

They are Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, Morocco, Peru, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Vietnam and Hong Kong and Macau.

Dahlan said his office had set up visa booths at airports in the cities of Jakarta, Denpasar in Bali, Medan, Surabaya, Manado and Padang. Booths are also available at seaports.

Tourists from other countries will have to obtain visas from embassies before they leave home.

--AFP 2004-01-30

I have to say that Indonesians are the most dishonest people I have ever met. I worked there for a year and never met one that was truthful and straight.

Not one.

The higher up the ladder you go, the worse and more bent they get.

I hope this idiotic visa move does destroy their tourist industry, not that any sane tourist would want to go there (with the possible exception of Bali).

If the official say;'it will not hurt the tourist sector" than that is the truth.

By the way we do have sensorship here.

For corruption we did achieve place number 3 on the world ranking.(from down)

Sorry EoS bali is also Indonesia = visa

May be you understand why I am looking forward to move to Thailand.

New visa policy for foreign visitors begins in Indonesia

JAKARTA: - Indonesia began charging some foreign visitors up to US$25 for an entry visa Sunday as it reintroduced a policy it had abolished 20 years ago, an immigration spokesman said.

The government recently reversed a law allowing foreigners from dozens of countries free entry into Indonesia amid claims it had been abused by people working illegally in the country.

Tourists from 20 countries and Taiwan will now have to pay US$10 for a maximum stay of three days and US$25 for a 30-day visa.

The 20 countries are: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Britain, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, and the United States.

"The government introduced the new visa policy for foreign visitors today,'' said Immigration spokesman Ade Endang Dahlan. "So far, everything is running well. There are no long lines and no complaints from the foreign visitors.''

Under the new policy, only citizens from Brunei, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Morocco, Peru, Vietnam and Chile _ as well as those with Hong Kong and Macau passports _ will continue to enjoy visa-free privileges.

Plans to reintroduce the visa fee have been delayed several times due to protests from Indonesia's tourism officials who fear the new scheme will further discourage foreign tourist from visiting Indonesia.

The country's tourism sector is still recovering from the 2002 Bali bombings, the Iraq war, and the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome. In the latest figures, tourist arrivals from January 2003 to September 2003 were down 18 percent from the same period a year earlier.

--AP 2004-02-01

I have to say that Indonesians are the most dishonest people I have ever met. I worked there for a year and never met one that was truthful and straight.

Not one.

The higher up the ladder you go, the worse and more bent they get.

I hope this idiotic visa move does destroy their tourist industry, not that any sane tourist would want to go there (with the possible exception of Bali).

Trust me on this, the tourism number to Indonesia are well down because of security alerts, but a $25 visa fee will not have the slightest impact on Indo's ultimate recovery.

Yes, I know Bali is in Indonesia - my point was that if you're a tourist, then that's the only place you'd probably go.

US$25 gouging won't make a difference to rich Nusa Dua tourists, but you know, my fingers are crossed that they do screw themselves, and kill the golden goose, because this is such an unnecessary tourist tax.

This new visa-on-arrival policy (for most) may hurt the Indonesian tourism industry to some degree but nowhere near as much as would have done if they had instituted a policy of requiring a visa issued from a consular office abroad.

As from march 2 Air Paradise International will fly direct twice a week from Adelaide.

The introductory fares will be $696 for adult, $186 child 12 - 15 and $148 for child under 12 all prices include taxes.

The Bali based Airline will also operate out of Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.

The introductory special is for march only but it expected that now Garuda has some direct competition tour operators will be able to put some sharply priced packages together.

At these prices another $25 wont worry people from Oz anyway.

:o

Ovenman,

asean countries visa free

20 other countries visa on arrival

All the rest of the world (included 9 european countries) have to obtain the visa at the local embassy or consulat.

It will take at least 2 working days to have the visa ready and a higher tarif.

An issue in the local papers here is the 30 days restriction.

Many of the backpackers (surfers ) are planning a longer stay than the 30 days.

This group benefits esspecially the locals.They don't use fancy hotels and/or resorts but buy all their needs from the small shops as they are on low budget.

What the result will be at the end.

As Dr.PP already mentioned we still suffer from many other reasons why the tourists number has dropped.

That's really the question, isn't it? My guess would be that this won't really effect travellers who have their heart set on Indonesia. They will make the necessary effort to obtain a visa in advance (if required) and off they will go. I see this affecting the more casual traveller who will find somewhere else to go once you start erecting barriers in his way.

But, DR. PP is right. Indonesia currently has bigger problems facing their tourism industry.

Hi Guys,

A $25 impost on visitors is pretty tame for a government which charges its own citizens 1 million rupiah (a little under $US120) everytime they want to leave the country. Most countries have a departure tax, but this must be one of the stiffest.

I do see their point regarding reciprocal agreements on Visas, but it hasnt done the Balinese any favours.

I wrote an article on this very topic for United Press about a year ago. PM me and I will send a copy.

Yes, they may say that its to stop terrorists getting in (though they're all there already!)

Yes, Indonesians are bugged by getting their US tourist visas nixed (after they pay their US$100 fee)

But if you have to go to America, then you have to go, but Indonesia - as a tourist destination - has the obstacle that people can always go somewhere else - Thailand, Penang etc.

Furthermore, I am sick of Indonesia sticking out its hand for billions in International Aid - embezzling it, and then treating foreigners badly.

This move is two-fold -

1) Election cash for PDI-P.

2) Stop foreigners working in Indonesia on 60 day tourist visas.

But if you have to go to America, then you have to go, but Indonesia - as a tourist destination - has the obstacle that people can always go somewhere else - Thailand, Penang etc.

That's always been my point about this. Unless the goal is simply to discourage tourism, erecting barriers, even minor ones that can be overcome with a little bit of effort, is bound to drive some tourists elsewhere to a destinataion that is "easier".

I do see their point regarding reciprocal agreements on Visas, but it hasnt done the Balinese any favours.

I also see the point regarding reciprocal visa agreements but the reality of the world is that instituting such a policy won't make a single "rich" country re-think their visa policy in regards Indonesians. This seems like a short-sighted cash grab.

That's really the question, isn't it? My guess would be that this won't really effect travellers who have their heart set on Indonesia. They will make the necessary effort to obtain a visa in advance (if required) and off they will go. I see this affecting the more casual traveller who will find somewhere else to go once you start erecting barriers in his way.

But, DR. PP is right. Indonesia currently has bigger problems facing their tourism industry.

You're spot on Ovenman - Reading this news has just made me change my mind about where to go this April with my family. Were thinking of moseying over to Sumatra for a little tiow, but since that will now cost me an extra $75 and some hassle in getting the visas, think will just stick to Malaysia for the duration. Pity, but the Guinness is good on the west side of the Malacca Straits and 75 smackers can buy quite a few stubbies. So, sorry Hon. Minister, you're wrong. :o

You're spot on Ovenman - Reading this news has just made me change my mind about where to go this April with my family.

Well, there you go. Anybody want to contact Indonesian immigration department spokesman Ade Endang Dahlan and inform him as to the error of his ways? :o