Irishman Killed In Phuket Bike Crash

george

Irishman killed in Thailand bike crash

PHUKET: -- An Irishman has been killed in a motorbike crash in Thailand, the second Irish tourist to die in a motorcycle accident in the country this year.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said today it was providing consular assistance to the family of the young man, who was killed while in Patong, on Phuket Island.

Another young man died in a motorbike accident in Thailand earlier this month, while a third was severely injured in a crash in Cambodia.

Following the deaths, the Department said riding a motorcycle or scooter in either of the two countries was dangerous and urged people to take the same precautions as they would in Ireland.

While Thai law demands motorcyclists wear a helmet, it is widely ignored, new advice on the Department’s website says.

An average of 38 people die each day in motorbike accidents in Thailand.

According to the Department, the dangers are made worse in Cambodia by roads in poor condition, vehicles with no lights and cattle on the roads.

Overloaded vehicles and erratic driving makes road traffic accidents the greatest danger to Irish tourists in the South East Asian country, the DFA warned.

--iol.ie 2006-01-20

:o:D that would be: 13.870/yr die due to motorbike accidents :D could that be really true?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

The figures are based on deaths in the government hospitals only (my source : Phuket Gazette) - so the farang who are routinely taken to Phuket Inernational or Bangkok Phuket don't get counted. And the ones who are just taken to the temple .......who knows ?

The figures are based on deaths in the government hospitals only (my source : Phuket Gazette) - so the farang who are routinely taken to Phuket Inernational or Bangkok Phuket don't get counted. And the ones who are just taken to the temple .......who knows ?

So any accident victim (farang/Thai) taken to a private hospital isn't counted then?

:o:D that would be: 13.870/yr die due to motorbike accidents :D could that be really true?

LaoPo

Yep. Thailand averages 15,000 deaths a year on the roads. A scary stat.

A most scary stat!

How does this compare to somewhere like the UK?

I just read on another thread that the UK has 3,500 pa, so that makes the stat even more scary!

LaoPo

A most scary stat!

I just read on another thread that the UK has 3,500 pa, so that makes the stat even more scary!

the answer is here:

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/statistics.htm

LaoPo

LaoPo

A most scary stat!

the answer is here:

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/statistics.htm

LaoPo

Thanks for this link, even these are scary stats! Who would have thought that driving was so dangerous?

Thanks for this link, even these are scary stats! Who would have thought that driving was so dangerous?

Dangerous....? look here for Thailand:

Especially also this:

Injuries and Accidents

Way to many young people still die unnecessarily in Thailand due to car and (mostly) motorcycle accidents. The actual number of deaths on the road is reportedly around 30,000." :o

from this website:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/healthcare(2).asp

LaoPo

I don't think taking the same precautions as you would in ireland will help much either.

Spot on. I was a bit surprised by that part too. :o

Well, considering that a motorcyclist in Ireland is probably going to be wearing at least some protective clothing in addition to a helmet and yet the tourists here see nothing wrong in riding 150+ HP bikes clad in only shorts and sandals I'd say it is pretty good advice.

I am not saying that everybody on a bike should wear full racing leathers but at least wear a helmet <deleted>.